Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2017 6:52 am  #1

Game Thread - Stetson

8:00pm tip on Wednesday 12/04/2017 at AJ Palumbo Center
Per KenPom:
Dukes #251 (3-3) vs Stetson #314 (6-4; 3-4 vs. D-1 Teams)
Stetson projected to finish 7th of 8 teams in the Atlantic Sun Conference
Game prediction: Dukes by 7, 78-71 - Dukes with 73% probability of a win.
No Betting line

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate
Here's a look at Stetson:
Offensive Strength:  Limits Turnovers
Offensive Weakness:  Getting to the FT Line; Offensive Rebounding
Defensive Strength:  Limits Offensive Rebounds
Defensive Weakness:  Effective FG%

Here's a look at the Dukes (national ranking out of 351 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Getting to the FT Line (17); Limit Turnovers (45): Offensive Rebounds (20)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG% (279)
Defensive Strength: Creates turnovers (95), Limits opponents FT chances (77)
Defensive Weakness:  Allows offensive rebounds (297)

12/06/2017 7:19 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Stetson

Thanks for sharing these updates Phoenix...Dukes try to build a little momentum and I need this 1 to get to 17!  Hahaha I realize that I may have been overly optimistic about win total but also not sure how A10 is this year either ! We'll see and thanks again

12/06/2017 8:53 am  #3

Should be challenging game. Stetson has had some decent results so far, but three of their six wins have come against non-D1 teams.

12/06/2017 10:13 am  #4

If Chas Brown can continue to give us an inside presence and Verhoeven can get off the bench (played only 7 minutes against UMES), we can do well tonight.

12/06/2017 10:33 am  #5

Take the Dukes minus 6. Bet Under 150. Dukes will come back to earth as far as shooting, and Stetson will play tougher Defense

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/06/2017 10:58 am  #6

president wrote:

If Chas Brown can continue to give us an inside presence and Verhoeven can get off the bench (played only 7 minutes against UMES), we can do well tonight.

Not sure the Verhoeven thing wasn't tactical rest on Dambrots part. Kid has played almost every minute of every game so far, why not scale back the minutes against probably the worst team on the schedule.

Think we'll actually be decently ok down low once we are working with Verhoeven, Robinson, Taylor, and a healthy Brown and Krivacevic. That's decent enough depth and wouldn't be surprised if as the season goes on the starting 4 and 5 is Krivacevic and Brown.

12/06/2017 11:42 am  #7

Duques102 wrote:

president wrote:

Not sure the Verhoeven thing wasn't tactical rest on Dambrots part. Kid has played almost every minute of every game so far, why not scale back the minutes against probably the worst team on the schedule.

Think we'll actually be decently ok down low once we are working with Verhoeven, Robinson, Taylor, and a healthy Brown and Krivacevic. That's decent enough depth and wouldn't be surprised if as the season goes on the starting 4 and 5 is Krivacevic and Brown.

I think Krivacevic will provide some good depth up front; however, his JC numbers don't support the proposition that he could become a starter. Possible, but improbable. As for Tydus, in the E. Shore game he was restricted in floor time by quickly picking up quick (in some cases questionable-call) fouls. It was quite like the first game of the season, when he fouled out after not many minutes on the floor. On the other hand, in games in which he has logged a lot of minutes, I don't think he has shown signs of fatigue.

12/06/2017 12:54 pm  #8

Duques102 wrote:

president wrote:

It's because Verhoeven fouled out in those 7 minutes.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/06/2017 1:00 pm  #9

yak-rbc wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

president wrote:

It's because Verhoeven fouled out in those 7 minutes.

Gotcha didn't go watched the last game on the phone intermittently between watching the steelers game.

12/06/2017 1:18 pm  #10

Brown plays like a true post, as he continues to get into game shape I bet more of the offense will start with him. I think he will get the ball out to open shooters like Lewis II, Castro-Cannedy and Williams ,Jr.

He grabs rebounds like a man and doesn't hesitate to power up for the inside deuce .

I liked the passing on the offense and the curtailment of the Smith-Castro dribbling exhibition , and going from 11 first half turnovers to 0 second half.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/06/2017 2:26 pm  #11

Fouling out of a game in 7 minutes might be close to a record! Just saying.

12/06/2017 7:26 pm  #12

The women took care of business now it's time for the men.

12/06/2017 8:01 pm  #13

Krivacevic dressed

12/06/2017 8:50 pm  #14

Maybe the best half of defense I've seen in my time as a fan. Really, really solid.

12/06/2017 8:52 pm  #15

president wrote:

Fouling out of a game in 7 minutes might be close to a record! Just saying.

President. I once fouled out in the first half of high school jv game and when my coach was told of my 4th foul by the assistant he replied " good maybe he will foul out" haha

12/06/2017 8:57 pm  #16

I liked Ray's relating of Dambrot's complaint about every time they go up by 12 or so, instead of waiting, being patient and waiting for the right shot, someone forces a shot and causes a turnover.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/06/2017 9:02 pm  #17

Kellon Taylor is a good player and a great offensive rebounder.......

A diehard fan since 1961

12/06/2017 9:25 pm  #18

I thought that he gave them a lift in Pitt game and plays hard.Again watching him in football games and sidelines he sometimes "debates " his coaches and teammates. I like his passion and know he is good athlete and bonus that he is on football scholarship too!

12/06/2017 9:37 pm  #19

Eric Williams will lead the A10 in rebounds per game by the end of the night. What a player this guy is

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/06/2017 9:54 pm  #20

yak-rbc wrote:

Eric Williams will lead the A10 in rebounds per game by the end of the night. What a player this guy is

I love this kid, but he is one of those guys who drives me nuts. Hits three pointer right and left but can't hit the damn free throw when needed 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/06/2017 9:54 pm  #21

E Williams Jr snags 16 boards along with 11 points and 4 assists Smith 20 pt Lewis II 17

Dukes 4-3 on year, 8 assist Castro

A diehard fan since 1961

12/06/2017 9:58 pm  #22

Tarin played his best game in a long while. Good to see. Overall, good effort. A little sloppy in the second half, but a comfortable win against a respectable opponent.

12/06/2017 10:50 pm  #23

That Stetson team took FGCU down to the wire losing 80-78 in Atlantic Sun Conference Championship at FGCU last March. The winner got the automatic NCAA bid.

This was a good win tonight, Dukes are playing better, together.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/07/2017 12:14 am  #24

Phildog wrote:

That Stetson team took FGCU down to the wire losing 80-78 in Atlantic Sun Conference Championship at FGCU last March. The winner got the automatic NCAA bid.

Phildog, as you know, that’s what happens when you have a real basketball coach leading your program. The team and individual players keep getting better. And when you bring in better players...

12/07/2017 7:02 am  #25

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Phildog, as you know, that’s what happens when you have a real basketball coach leading your program. The team and individual players keep getting better. And when you bring in better players...

Exactly what I was thinki​ng as they were a little rocky early in the second half and that 18 point lead was being whittled down, knowing that this was the kind of game Jim Ferry would have let slip away in the last two years.  Different coach, different team

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera