Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/07/2017 4:50 pm  #1

Progress

I feel pretty good about the progress being made with this team. Obviously, don't want to jump to any conclusions based strictly upon the last two victories but I see improvement in many areas.  With the injured players returning Coach D finally has a rotation that will at least allow us to compete the entire game.  I've seen particular improvement in the defense in terms of controlling penetration better.  I also noticed some double-teams in the half-court defense when the ball goes into certain areas.  Although loss of focus is still a problem at times, the team is able to get back on track and regain focus.  The defense will still need to get much better, but I see that the guys are buying into the coaches philosophies putting forth a much better effort.  When hard work results in success, the players will become much more cooperative. 
On offense I see the team sharing the ball more, moving without the ball and doing a better job of spreading the court and penetrating, for the kick-out pass rather than always taking it to the hoop.  The shot selection will continue to improve because ball and player movement will result in better shots.  The players are recognizing and turning down bad shots which is an important step.
I wouldn't to predict any number of victories for this group, but they can establish a groundwork for future teams simply by maximizing their potential and proving that the process will work!

12/07/2017 6:29 pm  #2

Re: Progress

levon1975 wrote:

I feel pretty good about the progress being made with this team. Obviously, don't want to jump to any conclusions based strictly upon the last two victories but I see improvement in many areas.  With the injured players returning Coach D finally has a rotation that will at least allow us to compete the entire game.  I've seen particular improvement in the defense in terms of controlling penetration better.  I also noticed some double-teams in the half-court defense when the ball goes into certain areas.  Although loss of focus is still a problem at times, the team is able to get back on track and regain focus.  The defense will still need to get much better, but I see that the guys are buying into the coaches philosophies putting forth a much better effort.  When hard work results in success, the players will become much more cooperative. 
On offense I see the team sharing the ball more, moving without the ball and doing a better job of spreading the court and penetrating, for the kick-out pass rather than always taking it to the hoop.  The shot selection will continue to improve because ball and player movement will result in better shots.  The players are recognizing and turning down bad shots which is an important step.
I wouldn't to predict any number of victories for this group, but they can establish a groundwork for future teams simply by maximizing their potential and proving that the process will work!

I agree, Levon - there are good signs. If these guys continue to polish the fundamentals, they may be able to raise their game to the level of competing in the Conference. By the way, it appears there are some very beatable teams in the A-10 this year.

The last two opponents apparently got the intel that Tarin Smith can be left alone beyond the arc. Nice to see him bury those open three's. Stuff like that can open a defense up a little.

12/07/2017 7:25 pm  #3

Re: Progress

I recall reading this past summer where Tarin said he would be working on the three point shot. Seems he must have put the time in and has been getting confident especially after getting set and hitting shots, after a tough start.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera