Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2017 6:16 am  #1

Game Thread - Mississippi Valley St. Delta Devils

7:00pm tip on Wednesday 12/13/2017 at AJ Palumbo Center
Per KenPom:
Dukes #230 (5-3) vs Mississippi Valley St. #350 (0-8)
Mississippi Valley St. projected to finish 10th of 10 teams in the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC)
Game prediction: Dukes by 16, 75-59 - Dukes with 93% probability of a win.
No Betting line

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate
Here's a look at Mississippi Valley St.:
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  Getting to the FT Line; Effective FG%
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Effective FG%; Allows offensive rebounds; Creating turnovers

Here's a look at the Dukes (national ranking out of 351 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Getting to the FT Line (37); Limit Turnovers (27): Offensive Rebounds (16)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength: Creates turnovers (69), Limits opponents FT chances (62); Effective FG% (93)
Defensive Weakness:  Allows offensive rebounds (286)

12/13/2017 12:59 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Mississippi Valley St. Delta Devils

While I am happy the schedule was set up the way it was, I am so anxious to see us play some decent competition! I think the schedule has done a great job of allowing the team to learn on the fly while still getting some wins, I think most would agree that the team has improved a lot since the beginning of the season to the point where it looks like we could surprise some this year, especially with the conference being down.

All that being said, we won't really know until we stop playing teams ranked in the 300s, so I just can't wait to see them play a "real" D1 team.

Also can't wait to see if our so far strong kenpom numbers are more a reflection of our team or the competition we are currently facing.

12/13/2017 1:18 pm  #3

I think it would be unrealistic to expect the same results as last week and win by 50 or so.

However I'm bringing a lot of pent up frustration from finals week so I want a bloodbath. 30 point win. Mike Lewis gets 20 points in 20 minutes. Williams with a dozen boards. Brown with 12 points and 7 blocks.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/13/2017 1:36 pm  #4

I think the schedule was set up this way as explained a few posts above, however having 8 scholarship players for Pitt and RMU was not expected.

Now with 11 players we have plenty of size plus the improvement of our point guards to pass and play the point as well as Lewis II scoring ability and Eric Williams, Jr.  over all stellar play gives this club a better chance of competing this season.

I think the 30 plus minutes will be  rare as the year goes on and fresh legs will be the norm.

The main difference is having a winner of a coach who can run a team and get improvement game by game.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/13/2017 1:47 pm  #5

Just for fun  DUKES 87  MVS  63
Hopefully not the kiss of death!

GO DUKES!

12/13/2017 2:23 pm  #6

Let's not forget, Jerry Rice graduated from Miss. Valley State. That means absolutely nothing though!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/13/2017 3:32 pm  #7

I think Deacon Jones might be from there too.  Or not!

12/13/2017 5:20 pm  #8

Phildog wrote:

I think the schedule was set up this way as explained a few posts above, however having 8 scholarship players for Pitt and RMU was not expected.

Now with 11 players we have plenty of size plus the improvement of our point guards to pass and play the point as well as Lewis II scoring ability and Eric Williams, Jr. over all stellar play gives this club a better chance of competing this season.

I think the 30 plus minutes will be rare as the year goes on and fresh legs will be the norm.

The main difference is having a winner of a coach who can run a team and get improvement game by game.

Yeah yeah, ifs and buts and all that but I still think if that eleven man roster that took apart Delaware State played Bobby Mo, even back then, they pound the Colonials.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/13/2017 6:35 pm  #9

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Now with 11 players we have plenty of size plus the improvement of our point guards to pass and play the point as well as Lewis II scoring ability and Eric Williams, Jr. over all stellar play gives this club a better chance of competing this season.

I think the 30 plus minutes will be rare as the year goes on and fresh legs will be the norm.

Yeah yeah, ifs and buts and all that but I still think if that eleven man roster that took apart Delaware State played Bobby Mo, even back then, they pound the Colonials.

Agree

12/13/2017 7:19 pm  #10

But I guess they can't do anything against the second worst team in the country. Yikes, Tydus, dunk the damn ball when you're on top of the net!

12/13/2017 7:20 pm  #11

6 missed shots under 2 feet. That can't last.

12/13/2017 7:30 pm  #12

AJP looks empty.

12/13/2017 7:39 pm  #13

Boy, Chas Brown took a pass inside and instead of looking for a shot, he put it on the floor. Turnover.

Yikes.

12/13/2017 7:44 pm  #14

ElDuque wrote:

AJP looks empty.

It is empty. Finals and Christmas break and an 0-8 team. Oh well. We haven't shot well but have played good defense. Part of why Eric Williams is such a great player is his basketball savvy. Always seems to make the right decision. Looks to pass as much as he looks to shot. A total team player on o and d.

12/13/2017 7:47 pm  #15

We were due for a poor shooting game. Glad it happened against this team. The defense has been phenomenal though, especially tydus and mike lewis.

12/13/2017 7:48 pm  #16

14 point halftime lead. Three nice layups near the end of the half. Lewis II with a very athletic move, Verhoeven on a nice pass from Williams, and Smith with great body control. Should be up much more but we didn't shoot well, especially from three.

12/13/2017 7:50 pm  #17

Duques102 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

AJP looks empty.

It is empty. Finals and Christmas break and an 0-8 team. Oh well. We haven't shot well but have played good defense. Part of why Eric Williams is such a great player is his basketball savvy. Always seems to make the right decision. Looks to pass as much as he looks to shot. A total team player on o and d.

We're supposed to get hit with snow around 8pm.

12/13/2017 7:50 pm  #18

MVSU is definitely better than at least two of the teams we've played so far. They hit a few tough shots at the beginning. Hopefully we come out in the second half and punch them in the face right away. Put this game to bed.

12/13/2017 7:53 pm  #19

Dukes have 10 assists and 5 TOs. Williams with 8 rebounds at the half.

12/13/2017 7:58 pm  #20

ElDuque wrote:

Dukes have 10 assists and 5 TOs. Williams with 8 rebounds at the half.

Really the only thing that hasn't been pretty good was the shooting.

12/13/2017 8:04 pm  #21

Williams jacked up a quick three on a fast break when he should have slowed down and started the possession. Dambrot throws his hands in the air and goes "there's nobody here".

What a great line

12/13/2017 8:15 pm  #22

ElDuque wrote:

AJP looks empty.

Bad weather has kept me at home tonight.  I've got no complaints with the video.

12/13/2017 8:23 pm  #23

Music at games also needs a serious update since you are listening athletic department. So out of date gets literally no one up and excited.

Yet another thing we shouldn't have to say.

12/13/2017 8:46 pm  #24

Williams sneaks in the double double

12/13/2017 8:49 pm  #25

Hey we beat them by more than Oklahoma state and Kent state did despite a terrible shooting night! Defense was stellar. There's no way that team is the worst team in D1. They will win some games this year. They've played a tough schedule so far.

Board footera