Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2017 8:55 am  #1

CMU

Unlikely Antonio Brown attends, but I think there will be enough stars in Duquesne uniforms.

12/15/2017 12:32 am  #2

Re: CMU

This will be a very difficult game. The Dukes best wins are probably against Pitt, and UVA, two also ran ACC teams. We need a good ooc win to offset those 2 bad losses we have, if we want to be able to get an at large bid without having to go something like 15-1 in league play. This is our last chance, as the next game will be a whipping from UConn. That won't hurt us though, as they whip everybody. Might even help if we can keep it below a 30 point margin.

12/15/2017 6:49 am  #3

Duq81, I have a ton of confidence in this team. I think Coach Burt will have them ready for both games. The key will be whether we have good shooting nights, if whether we get four quarters of intensity in both games.

12/15/2017 6:56 pm  #4

duq81 wrote:

This will be a very difficult game. The Dukes best wins are probably against Pitt, and UVA, two also ran ACC teams. We need a good ooc win to offset those 2 bad losses we have, if we want to be able to get an at large bid without having to go something like 15-1 in league play. This is our last chance, as the next game will be a whipping from UConn. That won't hurt us though, as they whip everybody. Might even help if we can keep it below a 30 point margin.

While I agree that the game is important for an at large bid neither of their losses are deemed bad losses by Real Time RPI.   To be a “bad loss” you have to lose to a team with an RPI of 200 or more.  Charlotte is currently 176 and can turn into a bad loss based on their season.  But that game will be discounted some being first game. 

ETSU currently has an RPI of 118 and in no way is that a “bad RPI” loss. 

They may be hurt more by strength of schedule.  They played some two teams with horrible RPIs.   

I think Va will rebound into an upper half of the ACC team which will improve their RPI and the quality of that win.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/15/2017 6:56 pm)

12/17/2017 3:39 pm  #5

At the half the Dukes and down by 13 and I have to wonder why in the world they are playing zone-type  of defense against good 3-point shooting team???? Boxing -out is also much difficult  now than  in man to man defense.
As in the last game if threes are not falling we in trouble. Seldom seen so lousy coming back in defense  when opponent had  fast break.

12/17/2017 4:33 pm  #6

luke wrote:

At the half the Dukes and down by 13 and I have to wonder why in the world they are playing zone-type  of defense against good 3-point shooting team???? Boxing -out is also much difficult  now than  in man to man defense.
As in the last game if threes are not falling we in trouble. Seldom seen so lousy coming back in defense  when opponent had  fast break.

Yeah.   They came back and won.  64-61.   Great win

12/17/2017 5:16 pm  #7

What. A. Win.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/17/2017 8:33 pm  #8

Great win over a good team.

12/17/2017 9:01 pm  #9

The program is successful enough to have its first legitimate troll.   Probably a member of a certain coaches family.  Lol.

12/17/2017 9:45 pm  #10

luke wrote:

Give some credit to CMU for being a good team. And Dan Burt for making the necessary adjustments. And the team for a great comeback.

12/17/2017 9:51 pm  #11

ElDuque wrote:

luke wrote:

Give some credit to CMU for being a good team. And Dan Burt for making the necessary adjustments. And the team for a great comeback.

Exactly. This win is a plus mark in our column.

12/18/2017 8:34 am  #12

[b][b]Luke said:
"At the half the Dukes and down by 13 and I have to wonder why in the world they are playing zone-type  of defense against good 3-point shooting team???? Boxing -out is also much difficult  now than  in man to man defense.
As in the last game if threes are not falling we in trouble. Seldom seen so lousy coming back in defense  when opponent had  fast break."

I say:  "Quit being so critical, Suzie!!"
[/b][/b]

Last edited by grammudder (12/18/2017 8:35 am)

12/18/2017 10:21 am  #13

The ladies  had a great comeback , thanks to the successful threes in the second half.!!
As I have said we are living or dying in the threepoint shooting.
There could be much much  improvemet in the ladies game if:
-The coaches would call a time out  when  the ladies are like yesterday losing  by 2-15.Yhere are 4-5 coaches!!!
-After  the guards use  the screens . centers would  make pop-out instead of rolling to the basket, Now
 all the 10 players are 10 feet from the basket!
-High-low -games between the 4 and 5 position players are too rare.
-In the modern basketball hardly any time plays zone defense.
-Too many times the ballhandler is dribbling and All the others stand still, there should be much much
more movement with  the ball screens, weak side screens and cutting.
-the substitution pattern is often unfair to the subs: for example in the yesterday game  Eniko, Helmi and 
Libby were much better than the starters in the first half,like in  +/-   -stats. The prize for that only few or none minutes in the second half. If starter is totally out of sync, the sub should replace her despite her starter status-

Last edited by luke (12/18/2017 12:49 pm)

12/18/2017 10:38 am  #14

Hey Luke, you remind me of my grandmother. She could nitpick the crap out of everything, and miss the big picture too.

12/18/2017 1:36 pm  #15

Um, the record?

12/18/2017 2:21 pm  #16

I think you are WAY out of line here. This is a very well-coached team. In all situations.

It's fair enough to comment on players not getting back on defense fast enough, or taking too many threes (PS, that's your opinion), but you clearly don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the comments on the coaching.

12/18/2017 3:18 pm  #17

Luke, I sent you a private message (check your "in box") which I hope you will read.

Best,

El Duque

12/18/2017 3:39 pm  #18

I'm not trying to add any fuel to the fire, but Dan did tell me that the only reason the team isn't undefeated right now is he made bad coaching decisions during the Charlotte and ETSU games.

12/18/2017 4:53 pm  #19

VBC wrote:

I'm not trying to add any fuel to the fire, but Dan did tell me that the only reason the team isn't undefeated right now is he made bad coaching decisions during the Charlotte and ETSU games.

That is because Coach Burt is a stand up guy.   The ETSU loss was because 1. They are a good team (took Michigan State to OT at MSU this weekend) and 2. The ETSU player banks in a 3 when the time expired. 

Charlotte was the first game of the year.  Any coach doesn’t fully know what they have then. 

Coach Burt is the best thing that has happened to DU in a very long time.  And the person that this bone to pick with him is quite obvious that he has a personal issue with him.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/18/2017 4:54 pm)

12/18/2017 4:55 pm  #20

ElDuque wrote:

Um, the record?

Boom.  End of argument there.

12/18/2017 7:03 pm  #21

luke wrote:

As I have said we are living or dying in the threepoint shooting.

Not sure I agree with your opinion on this or that it's provable.  According to official NCAA stats, DU is tied for #41 in the country in 3-point attempts:
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/team/998/p1
It's a lot, but it's also 190 behind the leader, & personally I don't find it to be an especially alarming number or believe that it raises to the level of "living or dying" by the 3.
​In games we've played, we've attempted 252 3-pointers vs. 227 by our opposition, on average just a couple more per game.  Again, doesn't seem overly alarming to me:
 http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/teamcume.html

luke wrote:

-the substitution pattern is often unfair to the subs: for example in the yesterday game  Eniko, Helmi and 
Libby were much better than the starters in the first half,like in  +/-   -stats. The prize for that only few or none minutes in the second half. If starter is totally out of sync, the sub should replace her despite her starter status-

In the postgame press conference, Coach said that the playing time in the second half was allocated with defense in mind.  CMU had that big, 6-3 senior who scored the first few points for them.  Coach felt that Lass & Paige were defending her well, so that's what he went with, even tho' Lass's offense was a little cold.  He felt that with Helmi or Kuttor out there, it would have become a game of trading baskets with the big senior, & he didn't think it was good to bet on a freshman or a sophomore coming out ahead on that "trade" vs. their senior.

Board footera