Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2017 4:04 pm  #1

A10 Conference play begins!

Thoughts on Dayton? Archie's gone but Grant was a guy we would have been happy to get before we signed Coach Dambrot. Uncharacteristic for the Flyers to go 6-6 in noncom. Should be a good first conference test for us.

12/28/2017 4:10 pm  #2

Re: A10 Conference play begins!

Well, at least this year...unlike the last 3-5 I can sincerely say that we CAN win.  I don't know if we will...but I actually think that is going to depend on our offense now.  Our defense is so much better than the last few years and even from the beginning of this year that I think it is ahead of our offense.  Hopefully Coach D. spent time working on getting inside which is something he has expressed as a goal for this year.

12/28/2017 5:26 pm  #3

Just thought I would share THIS -  Schedules and PG are listing Tip-Off Time at 4:00 -  THIS website is listing it at 1:00

12/28/2017 6:53 pm  #4

Interesting analysis by Kenpom.  He has Dayton winning by one point, 67-66.  Any other year the analysis would have Dayton winning at Palumbo or the PPG arena by 8-10 points.  Can our Dukes have one less turnover or make one more scoring play than the Flyers to get over that one-point hump?

12/28/2017 7:14 pm  #5

Is there anyway to pick this up online? Since it is regional coverage even direct tv doesn't pick it up in Ft Myers. Maybe CLK or another wiz knows another way to score coverage .

A diehard fan since 1961

12/28/2017 8:43 pm  #6

Phildog wrote:

Is there anyway to pick this up online? Since it is regional coverage even direct tv doesn't pick it up in Ft Myers. Maybe CLK or another wiz knows another way to score coverage .

http://www.streamsmart.tv

Some of the younger posters may know about this but this is the future of television consumption. This box plays "streams" of sports, shows, and movies. You can literally get any sporting event (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCABB, NCAAF, soccer), any tv or movie on demand, or watch "live tv" which is just cable stations and what is actually playing on them.

As many know I am a long time poster and have no commercial interest in putting this out there and never have done anything like this in the past but feel all could benefit. You guys could get any Duquesne game that is broadcast on any channel (local or national).

Look up the product, read the reviews. It sells for $5-600 on sites like Target and Walmart but they also have "resellers" which are just individuals and my buddy gets them. He sells them for $250 to people I know so if anyone is interested or has questions feel free to message me.

Again, only saying this for people's benefit. I was paying $185 a month for Comcast cable and Internet in Pittsburgh and got one of these about a year ago and will never go back. I bought a box for $250 and now pay just $50 a month for a basic wifi package through Verizon Fios.

I am able to watch basically every A10 game which I try to to see what we're up against.

I am one of the "cord cutters" you may have heard about.

12/28/2017 8:58 pm  #7

grammudder wrote:

Interesting analysis by Kenpom.  He has Dayton winning by one point, 67-66.  Any other year the analysis would have Dayton winning at Palumbo or the PPG arena by 8-10 points.  Can our Dukes have one less turnover or make one more scoring play than the Flyers to get over that one-point hump?

He had us winning by 1 against Dayton prior to the Southern Illinois loss.

12/28/2017 11:04 pm  #8

I just wanted to add my MBB preview to this thread. It is long but has a lot of thoughts and insight on the Dukes. It also includes the podcast I was on earlier this week previewing the Dayton matchup. http://dystpittsburgh.com/2017/12/29/dukes-holding-each-other-to-a-higher-standard/

12/29/2017 12:13 am  #9

fjhryn wrote:

The one thing that concerns me about this game is the turnout of Dukes fans. Dayton travels extremely well and with NO students in the stands because of Christmas break (I'll be kind here since even if school were in session, I wonder what the student section would look like), and with Pitt playing Miami at the same time at the Pete, and with the puzzling lack of DU alumni and staff support at the games, I would hate to see more Dayton fans in attendance than Dukes fans. To be sure, we will be there as will all of the few regulars that sit with us in A2 & A3. But what will the Palumbo stands look like on Saturday. I sincerely hope that all of you locals who access this board plan on  being at the game. This team deserves your support based on the effort that they have displayed to date, regardless of what you may think of the opposition they faced on the OOC schedule. If you decide not to come out & show your support, don't post negative comments if things don't turn out well. 

If I weren't 9 hours away in TN, I would be there. Let's Go Dukes!

12/29/2017 3:34 am  #10

http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=0&db_oem_id=31600&utm_source=31600&utm_medium=portal&utm_campaign=trafficpattern&DB_OEM_ID=31600

this is the a10 networks feed of the game but i have no idea if its free for this game or not. other than that...try the guys stream from above.

unfortunately i will not be at either this game or the women's umass game the day after. ill see yall on the flipside after the new year

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/29/2017 8:22 am  #11

I'll be there.  You have a point about how well Dayton fans travel.  Go Dukes

12/29/2017 8:44 am  #12

Now that the God-awful non-conference schedule is over, we actually get to see what we have in this team.

12/29/2017 9:07 am  #13

yak-rbc wrote:

http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=0&db_oem_id=31600&utm_source=31600&utm_medium=portal&utm_campaign=trafficpattern&DB_OEM_ID=31600

this is the a10 networks feed of the game but i have no idea if its free for this game or not. other than that...try the guys stream from above.

unfortunately i will not be at either this game or the women's umass game the day after. ill see yall on the flipside after the new year

It is listed as free on the site, thanks for the tip.😎

A diehard fan since 1961

12/29/2017 10:18 am  #14

Phildog, just saw your post.  Glad to see yak-rbc answered your question.  I was told a couple of years ago that DU will stream all games except the "Nationally Televised Games".  If it is just a regional they will usually just pick up the feed.

I will say again I love the way Coach Dambrot has this team playing defense.  I believe the Dukes will win tomorrow. 

12/30/2017 2:02 pm  #15

Here is my take-aways from the noncon - 

The schedule was what it was, so who knows what we'll think at season's end, but to this point -

The good -
Player development - I don't recall a player significantly better at Duquesne since AJax did. Lots of players improved, but mostly it was getting better at what they were good at, not adding new pieces to their games. Maybe Tarin is just finally healthy, but his outside shooting is much better thus far. Rene looks like he finally found a coach that knows how to allow him to be successful. Mike defends tons better. JRob has looked a lot better, though he is still not as consistent as would be liked.

The defense: As in they play defense now. Good defense, in fact! It seems to travel well, too.  

Rebounding: Hmm - seems like a large percentage of getting rebounds is the will to go get them. Who knew? 

The toughness: The team seems like they are going to be a handful for anyone, at least on the defensive end. Their opponents are going to know they were in a scrap.

The vision of the future: Ron was always scrambling trying to make mismatch pieces win as many games year to year, without an apparent grand vision of the future, just what would work best with the guys he had. The way they played from year one to the next changes, and then they have to relearn the system. Ferry had some bizarre system that somewhat worked in a lesser conference when the games were officiated differently. He was seemingly content to let his players get humiliated by blow outs by asking them to play against their strengths, waiting for "his players" to show up. If they did, it didn't seem to matter. (I liked most of the players both of the coaches brought in, and would have loved to see them succeed here, obviously.) Dambrot seems to have a vision, and then works to improve his current players so they could succeed in it. Then he scheduled every item at the bakery with a few good teams at the end to build their confidence. Next year, they'll play the same system. The players they recruit are expected to be able to play in this system. If there is any four letter word at Duquesne, it is "Hope", but here we are. I am hopeful. 

The less good -
The offense - currently seems entirely based on whether Mike is on fire or not on a given night. Some nice attempts to get the ball down low, but too often Chas and JRob miss layups. Tydus doesn't seem involved in the offense beyond getting boards. Chas is apparently a few weeks away to be in full basketball shape, but I am not expecting too much more out of him. I'd love to see some pick and rolls (especially with Tydus and KT (who has the best hands on the team) when Mike isn't having a good shooting night.

The attendance -  I know the posters on this board are at the games if they are local, but I was expecting the excitement over Dambrot to put more folks in the seats. The attendance is better than last year, but that is similar to saying "well - your gaping wound seems to be bleeding a little less." Maybe it will get better for conference play for some reason.

The other stuff -
Erik Williams Jr - I am curious to see how he plays against A10 competition. To say he's been a find is an understatement, and he has put up numbers against the non cupcakes we've played. I think he ends up a nomination for freshman of the year of the A10

I've had the pleasure to have been seated next to or quite near some of the player's families - and they all seem to be lovely people. Caleb's dad is at most games. Erik William's family comes in for the weekend games it seems. Mike's family, and JRob's family have all been around as well. 

Overall - the schedule doesn't allow us to know that much, but I am hopeful, and do expect things to  improve. Will they improve to the point where Duquesne can get an at large before Dambrot retires? I'm not sure, and have no expectations this year beyond the continued development of the team.

12/31/2017 7:48 am  #16

For opening day all 7 home teams won their games. 

Admittedly a very small sample . Perhaps this year , more than ever , it becomes a "home court" league.

Board footera