Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2018 4:49 pm  #1

Tide Perhaps Starting to Turn a Little?

Throughout my college career (2010-2014) I went to most home games and almost always attended alone. That continued after school for the past few years. I would ask friends (including DU alums) to attend with me, and would either get a flat out no, or a wishy washy commitment that they would usually back out of a couple hours before game time. It was so hard to get anyone interested.

Of course all off-season I have been telling the same friends of all the changes and positive momentum coming from Dambrot and the kids he was bringing in and with him. So they heard about this plus the winning streak and hot start to the year.

I have taken five different DU alumni to games so far this year. My best friend and girlfriend (both DU alums) went to the Dayton game with me and obviously had an awesome time. I will be attending tomorrow's game with my same buddy and two older gentlemen I am friends with that want to attend the game because they remember when Duquesne was a great program and are intrigued by the quick uptick in success and the buzz around the program in general.

I'd like to mention that both of these older guys went to Pitt.

My point is that I think the product on the court and game results are starting to pique some interest again, at least a little bit. I have been able to convince more people to come to a game with me this year than in probably the past 6 or 7 combined.

I was wondering if any others are starting to experience this as well.....

Last edited by Duques102 (1/02/2018 5:29 pm)

1/02/2018 5:31 pm  #2

Re: Tide Perhaps Starting to Turn a Little?

it's been easier to convince a few students to attend with me this year then in the past. usually i would go alone to games but this year I haven't had to

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/03/2018 8:56 am  #3

We added the two open seats next to us this season and invited people via an email before the season started to pick any of the games on the schedule to join us for. The response was pretty positive and we were able to fill most of the games.

I sent another email out yesterday just to remind folks of A-10 play. I didn't oversell the prospects in the preseason and for the A-10 email I shared with the recipients that  the Dukes are improving, playing hard and as a team and Coach Dambrot is coaching them up. We were able to fill a number of games in advance and I'm confident we'll have even better attendance than the OOC. 

Outside of the Bona game, which will be an intense game regardless of the spread, the remaining home games are all considered toss-ups or Dukes are decent faves on KenPom. Hopefully we see an uptick in attendance and while it is not likely every game has the same result as the Dayton game, many more like those can help lay the foundation for better attendance as this season winds down and for the upcoming seasons.

1/03/2018 10:31 am  #4

I’ll be honest I don’t see any more interest now than before.   

However I remember the one season during the RE years when they went on the winning streak.   And there was a buzz about town about the Dukes.   There was a Sunday game vs a good Rhode Island team that the Athletic Department was totally caught unaware.   There was a huge walk-up and a lot of people didn’t get in until well after tip-off. 

If the success continues, I just hope the AD has a better handle on things.   If people come back you don’t want to give them reasons not to return.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/03/2018 10:33 am)

1/03/2018 11:29 am  #5

In 1988 when Palumbo was opened it was nothing more than a oversized high school gym.It was bult
cheaply and the fan experience is poor.Duquesne needs to get busy renovating before the crowds become
larger as it is not a worthy venue to watch good basketball. Its  narrow hallways,lack of bathrooms and concessions are not up to standards that Pittsburgh sports fans are used to.Too cramped.
The Dukes are going to be good and Duquesne needs to make sure that people experience some comfort
that  the other sports teams in Pittsburgh have.

1/03/2018 9:12 pm  #6

stew wrote:

In 1988 when Palumbo was opened it was nothing more than a oversized high school gym.It was bult
cheaply and the fan experience is poor.Duquesne needs to get busy renovating before the crowds become
larger as it is not a worthy venue to watch good basketball. Its  narrow hallways,lack of bathrooms and concessions are not up to standards that Pittsburgh sports fans are used to.Too cramped.
The Dukes are going to be good and Duquesne needs to make sure that people experience some comfort
that  the other sports teams in Pittsburgh have.

Palumbo is what it is. There's only so much you can do with it. LaSalle, and St. Joe's "renovated" their places, and it was like putting lipstick on a pig. We need for one of you "rich" alums to donate 80 million, so that we can build a plush 7,500 seat arena.

1/03/2018 9:47 pm  #7

If i can add a few pennies to the conversation on old/new fans coming to the games!  A D.U. grad from the late 50's sits sometimes by me and the Mrs.  He has two sons who graduated from D.U. as did his brother.  Last Saturday he brought his brother to the game versus Dayton.  Today he came over to let me and the Mrs. know his brother and his oldest son came to the game.  This is Dave Harper's version of one fan at a time!!!   Imagine if 500 of our season ticket holders did the same.  As for me and my house, we bring the grand-daughters to the women's games.  I waited too long for the men to start winning again to let my fun time reduce me to a baby-sitter.  another great game tonight for the Dukes.   

1/03/2018 9:52 pm  #8

I hope the fans get behind this team and start showing up for games. Could only imagine the energy that can be created in which the team can feed on especially when the conference games get even more meaningful. Then again they seem to be doing OK without it right now. Perhaps less pressure.

Last edited by Rayrich (1/03/2018 9:53 pm)

Board footera