Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2018 12:27 pm  #1

The time is now and some random thoughts

I and three of my daughters who also attended Duquesne had the pleasure of attending last nights game courtesy of our AD Dave Harper. I became a Dukes fan in the late sixties as a youth and went to the games at the Civic Arena when they played top teams and to large crowds. It was good timing for the Dukes, as the Steelers, Penquins and Pitt Basketball (excluding the Billy Knight years) were irrelevant. After graduating in 1980, I had season tickets through the 1990 season. Seeing the direction of the program and selection of coaches I did not consider purchasing season tickets again, that is until now. The direction of the program is definitely on the up tick, as the president, AD, and coach have a firm grasp on what it needs to be a winner. I realize the out of conference schedule was weak and the A ten is down this year. But the improvement of the leftover players is unreal as well as fabulous freshman Eric Williams. ( if half of next years freshman class come close to Williams abilities and the transfers are as good as advertised, look out A Ten and world) This coach can flat out coach all aspects of the game, while holding his players accountable for their play.

Telling my daughters that I was thinking of getting season tickets again some weeks ago, they were very skeptical. After attending last nights game, they asked me how many tickets I was going to get, and I told them two. They said, dad why don't you get four as now that there last sister is in her final year of playing high school basketball, we would like to attend some more games. See I have played, coached, refereed and been a parent of a basketball player in high school for the past twenty years and it's all winding down for me but the amazing thing is these girls want to go to more games. When they attended Duquesne one played there and the other two were students and would only go to two boys games a year on the average. They really enjoyed that they saw former classmates and that I ran into classmates that I have not seen for over twenty years and that we all knew who we were. I suggest if you had children attend Duquesne during the lean years, which there have been many, give it one more shot and they will bleed the red and blue. I was coaching with Billy Zopf about twenty five years ago and he was running late for practice, so I figured I would give the boys we coached a history lesson. See, these boys looked at Billy just as an older man, not as I did, because as a youth he was a top player on a top team to me. As all these kids had Pitt gear because Pitt was on top of the Big East and they knew he played for the Dukes but they assumed Duquesne back in his day was the same as it was at that time. I educated them as I did my daughters about Duquesne basketball history and if you do the same, maybe we will see younger people attending the games. Because at last nights game, I would venture to guess that over fifty percent was Sixty years old and older. I am aware that the students are on Christmas break, but we need the late twenty to fifty year old people to attend.

Random thoughts on last nights game that I have not seen in awhile,

The coach and his assistant coaches are constantly coaching

The leftover players have improved on both ends of the court immensely

The team concept with the players is there on the court and the bench

The reason why Williams gets so many rebounds, is the bigs and Taylor box out extremely well and he gets the bounds because of his quickness.

Passing and offensive sets are vastly improved

I know competition has not been great or even good, but the Dukes team defense is the best I have seen in a while.

Don't forget there are four types of coaches

1. Coaches that are good with X's and O's and good communicators to the press, players and recruits

2. Coaches that are good X's and O's but terrible communicators

3. Coaches that are terrible X's and O's but good communicators

4. Coaches bad at both

We Dukes fans have had enough of coaches 2,3 and 4 We finally got a number 1

1/04/2018 1:20 pm  #2

Re: The time is now and some random thoughts

Don't forget to support Dan Burt and Duquesne's WBB program if you're local.

1/04/2018 1:54 pm  #3

Wildwood13, nice post; appreciate and agree with your points.  Glad you (and your daughters) are back in the fold.  Go Dukes!

1/04/2018 2:14 pm  #4

From my Civic Arena days and Palumbo I would see many of the same faces, loyal fans ,basketball knowledgeable folks. Once I moved south I still followed games but usually got so disappointed I seldom watched the whole game over internet. Now I am glued to the tv start to finish.
I can tell by the posts folks are mostly thrilled so far.

Wildwood 13 welcome back, I bet I used to see you around in the old days.....

A diehard fan since 1961

1/05/2018 9:46 am  #5

Another fan from the Civic Arena day here coming back but I'm also bringing along some new red and blue fans-  my son, daughter and 2 young grandsons!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/06/2018 8:34 am  #6

these kids attitudes and belief are a direct extension of their ultra competitive coach.
Im thinking Coach D want to keep the 20win season streak alive and the players have bought in

they have faith, a winning attitude, they are playing tough defense and they are determined.
good days ahead

1/06/2018 10:37 am  #7

You don't build a team. You build a culture. The team responds.

Ask Dan Burt, the ballcoach.

1/06/2018 11:50 pm  #8

ElDuque wrote:

Also, you recruit offense, but teach defense.  All HS players are recruited by colleges on offensive talent, but most if not all of these kids have to learn defense once they get to college play.  This coach and his staff are teaching some  big time defense. And it's getting pretty interesting.  

1/07/2018 12:33 am  #9

NapaDuke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Also, you recruit offense, but teach defense.  All HS players are recruited by colleges on offensive talent, but most if not all of these kids have to learn defense once they get to college play.  This coach and his staff are teaching some  big time defense. And it's getting pretty interesting.  

KD emphasized defense as soon as practice started, even to the point of neglecting the offense. It's paying off. I've never seen anything like it since I've been around. With all of the other coaches, it was, "we're gonna run". KD has slowed things down to a pace that works for the talent he has. In some ways, it reminds me of what Dixon did at Pitt. The only other coach that put any emphasis on defense was Ron, with his aggressive, gambling style, which was defense to set up offense. It worked to some degree, but what KD is doing is more fundamentally sound. It's nuts and bolts defense that should be effective against all types of offenses once we get a full roster.

1/07/2018 9:29 am  #10

Post Gazette coverage on road games is awful.

1/07/2018 10:34 am  #11

theprofessor1099 wrote:

Keep winning. When the demand is there, it'll improve.

1/07/2018 11:32 am  #12

duq81 wrote:

theprofessor1099 wrote:

Keep winning. When the demand is there, it'll improve.

I doubt it, but this guy is killing it showing what real press coverage is all about.

http://dystpittsburgh.com/duquesne-continues-strong-conference-start-with-road-win/

Love these quotes by the Fordham coach:

“They’re playing basketball the right way and what I mean by that is defensively, they are very tough minded and tough,” Fordham coach Jeff Neubauer said. “Offensively they are sharing the ball. They’ve really improved since Nov. 15. Since then, you can see on the film how their defense has changed, it’s really hard to get a basket.”Neubauer has known Dambrot as was a fan of the hiring, but following the win he endorsed Duquesne’s first-year coach.“Duquesne has made immense strides in the last seventh months,” said Neubauer. “Simply with Keith’s hiring, I tip my hat to Duquesne for hiring him and making the commitment they have to basketball. Their team played very well today.”

I have to say againthat with the way the Dukes play defense they can beat any team in this League.  Go Dukes!

Last edited by CLK (1/07/2018 11:33 am)

Board footera