Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2018 8:21 pm  #1

Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens

8:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 01/17/2017 at the Chaifetz Arena, Saint Louis, MO
Per KenPom:
Dukes #169 (13-5; 4-1) vs Saint Louis #183 (8-10; 7-10 vs. D-1; 1-4)
Saint Louis projected to finish 11th (7-11) in the 14 team Atlantic 10 Conference
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 2, 63-61 - Dukes with 41% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 4½ point underdogs; Over/Under 128
Duquesne 6-4 Against the Spread: Saint Louis 8-7 ATS

Saint Louis Best Win(s): Virginia Tech (48); Murray St. (65)
Saint Louis Worst Loss(es): Detroit (295); Southeast Missouri St. (268); Campbell (256)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate
Top 100 ranking noted as a strength; Bottom 100 ranking as a weakness
Here's a look at Saint Louis:
Offensive Strength:  Getting to the FT Line
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG%
Defensive Strength:  Limits Offensive Rebounds
Defensive Weakness:  Opponents get to the FT Line

Here's a look at the Dukes (national ranking out of 351 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Getting to the FT Line (56); Limit Turnovers (59): Offensive Rebounds (31)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG% (29)
Defensive Weakness:  None

1/16/2018 9:45 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens

I love these pre-game snapshots. Thanks for the effort.

1/16/2018 9:50 pm  #3

SLU is a tough team to figure out. They are among the biggest underachievers in the A10 this year (along with Richmond), but they have some good nonconference wins. Any road win in the A10 is a good win, IMO. Won't be easy.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (1/16/2018 9:51 pm)

1/16/2018 9:53 pm  #4

Dukes2012 wrote:

SLU is a tough team to figure out. They are among the biggest underachievers in the A10 this year (along with Richmond), but they have some good nonconference wins. Any road win in the A10 is a good win, IMO. Won't be easy.

I believe there was some incident on campus that has resulted in 3 of their best players being suspended all year.

1/16/2018 10:08 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

I believe there was some incident on campus that has resulted in 3 of their best players being suspended all year.

That's correct. It's a title IX investigation for sexual assault. I don't believe they have released the results of the investigation yet.

1/16/2018 10:53 pm  #6

Dukes2012 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

That's correct. It's a title IX investigation for sexual assault. I don't believe they have released the results of the investigation yet.

I remember they had some really highly rated freshman coming in this year is this them?

1/16/2018 10:55 pm  #7

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I get a kick out of how the spread for seemingly every game is always two to three points more in favor of our opponent than the KenPom predicted spread when a large number of spreads seem to closely mirror KenPom. Vegas must have a Duquesne factor

1/17/2018 12:16 am  #8

I don’t think they are suspended anymore

1/17/2018 4:54 am  #9

Three of the four accused have not played a minute so if they are not suspended any more, we will be their first game.  The fourth player has played all season.  The Billikens have only used 9 players all year.  Suspensions certainly appear ongoing

1/17/2018 7:46 am  #10

1/17/2018 7:53 am  #11

Brian wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I get a kick out of how the spread for seemingly every game is always two to three points more in favor of our opponent than the KenPom predicted spread when a large number of spreads seem to closely mirror KenPom. Vegas must have a Duquesne factor

I think they do, Brian. The casual bettor, or team fan, probably sees the their team is only favored by 2 over crappy Duquesne and they lay their money down on their team. If the line is 5, they may think twice about the bet or bet less money - helping out the books to balance the bet.

If the Dukes cover tonight and go 7-4 ATS, I think the betting lines become more in tune with KenPom to prevent the smart, pro bettors from taking advantage of the Dukes be undervalued.

1/17/2018 7:53 am  #12

phil95 wrote:

You’re welcome, Phil95.

1/17/2018 8:30 am  #13

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Brian wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I think they do, Brian. The casual bettor, or team fan, probably sees the their team is only favored by 2 over crappy Duquesne and they lay their money down on their team. If the line is 5, they may think twice about the bet or bet less money - helping out the books to balance the bet.

If the Dukes cover tonight and go 7-4 ATS, I think the betting lines become more in tune with KenPom to prevent the smart, pro bettors from taking advantage of the Dukes be undervalued.

I also think the opposing fans and bettors don't know what to make of the Dukes since the lines are influenced by the AdjO and D  which are still low compared to actual output thanks to the poorly rated schedule. 

Hope the Dukes can keep SLU off the offensive glass as they're the best in the league by % thus far in league games but lousy shooting the ball.  Hoping for our Centers to build on their offensive games from Saturday and it opens up play for our guards to do their thing. Should be another low possession game and will likely come down to wire. 

1/17/2018 9:04 am  #14

First set of articles I searched didn't name names but after some digging, the three players are Adonys Henriquez, Jermaine Bishop and Ty Graves. 

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/title-ix-report-complete-after-slu-basketball-players-were-accused/article_87ab65ba-8374-586a-91d5-d78a0d2c0f44.html

This sort of incident happened at SLU before, torpedoing their 2010-2011 season when they had three players suspended. Willie Reed and one other player ended up leaving while Kwamain Mitchell was allowed back in school and ended up using that season as a redshirt. In this instance, all three players have burned their redshirt. 

The 6'0 Graves wouldn't have been eligible to play until Spring semester this season as he was a mid season transfer from BC after seven games as a freshman last season. Showed in a few games he could shoot the three, played about 17 mpg but not much data at D1 level and never played a minute in the ACC obviously.

6'6 Henriquez sat out last season after transferring from UCF and looks like, by the numbers at least, it was a solid pickup for SLU as he performed well by the numbers at UCF. He'd have been eligible to play from the start as a RS Jr.

Bishop has been there since his freshman year. I remember he showed promise as a freshman under Crews but only played nine games last year and got a medical redshirt after an ankle injury ended his season last year.

--Jordan Goodwin (not involved in this investigation) is the 4 star recruit from nearby Belleville, IL. By the numbers, he shoots it a lot, but doesn't make a whole bunch. He's coming off an 11 assist game in their loss at George Mason Saturday.

1/17/2018 10:34 am  #15

This a streaming free game on the SLU A-10 site, for those who wish to stream to big screen tv tonite.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/17/2018 11:03 am  #16

phil95 wrote:

Yes, I second that, hear hear  

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/17/2018 11:04 am  #17

Brian wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Yeah, I thought that too. The VCU game ended up as a push for the Ken Pom prediction  (VCU - 11) IIRC

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (1/17/2018 11:10 am)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/17/2018 3:39 pm  #18

Phildog wrote:

This a streaming free game on the SLU A-10 site, for those who wish to stream to big screen tv tonite.

Thanks for the find, Phildog. Will save me $7 since I was going to buy it.

1/17/2018 3:57 pm  #19

The Money Line on this game looks awfully tempting. Bet $100 on the Dukes to win and get back $275 (net win of $175).

1/17/2018 4:41 pm  #20

I truly believe that things have already changed enough that I'll just go ahead & write it.

The Dukes SHOULD DEFINITELY win this one & it will be a disappointment if they don't!

Our Dukes are the deeper, stronger team with positive momentum on their side. The only things working in St. Louis's favor is the home court & that freaky mascot.

1/17/2018 6:38 pm  #21

I expect the Dukes to win.SLU has 8 scholarship players, Dukes playing with confidence.Play good defense,
limit SLU to one shot and control the pace of the game.  The X factor is the referees. Only way Dukes lose
is  if we  dont get a fair shake with the refs.

1/17/2018 7:19 pm  #22

Fair shakes are sometimes hard to come by.

1/17/2018 7:42 pm  #23

I usually check out the St. Louis gamethread at halftime and after the game. They have some pretty funny posters over there especially if they are behind in the game.

1/17/2018 8:26 pm  #24

Gettin schooled in all facets of the game right now.
7 fouls in 9 minutes.   Cant keep doung this.

Last edited by townsonkid (1/17/2018 8:27 pm)

1/17/2018 8:36 pm  #25

This play by play guy is so ridiculously biased, horrible to listen to.

This team is athletic. We look intimidated by that high pressure they play at the top of the key. Gotta start attacking the hoop and wear them down and draw fouls. They aren't a great shooting team.

Board footera