Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2018 4:55 pm  #1

Duquesne vs La Salle

Give the ladies some love tonight. Going for 5-0 against a relative bottom-feeder La Salle team.

There are 4 other teams in the A-10 with at least 4 wins (Dayton and Fordham at 5-0 face off tonight; George Mason won this morning to go 4-1; SJU is 4-1 and has a mdweek bye). It's important to rack up wins early because the race  for the top 2 is going to be hectic.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/17/2018 9:28 pm  #2

Re: Duquesne vs La Salle

Ladies won 78-50 -  Julianna REALLY had it going - Chassidy had close to 20 -- Even though La Salle might be one of the lower ranked teams in the A-10 tonight was as well as I've seen them play - Think they scored 31 points in the 3rd quarter.

Beat George Mason!!!

1/17/2018 11:25 pm  #3

Fun to watch tonight and was glad to have went. Ladies really moved the ball and got out and ran. Vojinovic is such a great outside shooter and Omogrosso can shoot it as well but the drives and finishes at the hoop for her size is really impressive.

1/18/2018 11:09 am  #4

I wanted to share my recap from this game. It is long but has a lot of different aspects that helped make this win possible. http://dystpittsburgh.com/duquesnes-adjustments-teamwork-pay-off-in-home-win/

1/18/2018 1:30 pm  #5

The ladies have a real challenge in the next two games, with Mason and St. Joe's who seems to be our nemesis in this league.  Then we still have Dayton, Fordham and St. Louis.  The top of this league is really tough, and the ladies will need to be at their best to stay in the top three or four teams.  They really need to clean up the lapses and losses of focus that cause the team to  blow big leads at times.  I'm also concerned with playing teams that are athletic like Fordham or have strong post players.  These two areas seem to be a problem.  I'm less concerned with recent problems with breaking the press.  I think that will be corrected.

1/19/2018 3:53 pm  #6

Agree with your comments, although Mason's big gal (6'5 Natalie Butler) who the Dukes play on Sunday, seems an immediate challenge.  She's leading the NCAA Div. 1 in rebounds and is much improved since she was named Big East Freshman of the Year several seasons ago.

Based on how Duquesne has played defensively, if Butler is allowed to get the ball down on the block, our help defense will either be a step slow or non-existent and she will score and/or get fouled.  We do not have a player to guard her one-on-one.  I'm no coach, but to me the most effective strategy would seem to be trying to deny her the ball in the first place. 

Reasonably contain Butler and the Dukes should win.

1/19/2018 6:32 pm  #7

Front Butler with Lass, Tulo, Sole, and Cannon.  Alternate according to fouls.
She shoots 67% from foul line.  If she has a habit of putting it on the floor before shooting,  have a player rotate down to play on that particular side she likes to dribble on.  If we pressure the guards, it may force her to come toward the foul line.  I’m sure Dan will have it covered.  Dukes by 12 !

1/19/2018 7:19 pm  #8

Fronting Butler could be effective if Duquesne's posts did that well.  Historically, they have not.  Tulu is not experienced enough and Cannon not tall enough.  I'm glad you mentioned Sole.  She is a big body, has experience- but unfortunately, has not had a lot of playing time.  I hope Dan uses her on Sunday,

You make a good point about Butler's so-so free throw percentage, but I would hate to make that our strategy for winning the game.  You make a better point about pressuring their guards.  The problem is, Duquesne (so far) has not exhibited the ability to put pressure on the perimeter all season long.  We lack the athleticism and quickness.

I would go 2-3 zone and have our best post defender (Kadri-Ann) partially front Butler wherever she goes with a hand in her face and if the ball does get to her, double team her immediately from the weak side and make her uncomfortable.

I like your bold prediction.  Let's see what happens.

1/21/2018 4:21 pm  #9

Missed it by 5.   One of the most physical lady games I’ve ever seen.  Great job by Dan Burt and staff !

1/21/2018 9:14 pm  #10

I did not see the game, but from what I heard, Kadri -Ann pretty much denied Natalie Butler the ball down low in the post, which was a concern of mine.  Butler's 6 turnovers were a result of Duquesne's defense making her feel uncomfortable- a big key.

Yes, a great coaching job by Dan and the staff.

Board footera