Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2018 7:12 pm  #1

Game Thread - Richmond Spiders

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 01/24/2018 at the A.J. Palumbo Center
Per KenPom:
Dukes #175 (14-6; 4-2) vs Richmond #202 (6-13; 4-3)
Richmond projected to finish 10th (8-10) in the 13 team Atlantic 10 Conference; Dukes projected to finish 9th (9-9)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 6, 70-64 - Dukes with 69% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 3 point favorites; Over/Under 136½
Duquesne 7-5 Against the Spread: Richmond 7-10 ATS

Richmond Best Win(s): Davidson (60); UAB (84); VCU (137)
Richmond Worst Loss(es): Fordham (288); Delaware (258); Jacksonville St. (151)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate

Top 100 ranking overall or top 3 in conference noted as a strength; Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 3 in conference as a weakness.
Here's a look at Richmond for the season:
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  Getting to the FT Line (286); Offensive Rebounds (326)
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Effective FG% (308)

Here's a look at Richmond in conference (14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG% (3); Getting to the FT Line (3)
Offensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebounding (12)
Defensive Strength:  Limits FT's (3)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 351 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Getting to the FT Line (46); Limit Turnovers (64): Offensive Rebounds (34)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG% (30)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in conference (14 teams)
Offensive Strength:  Getting to the FT Line (2); Offensive Rebounds (3)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG% (1)
Defensive Weakness:  Doesn't force turnovers (13); allows offensive rebounds (13)

1/23/2018 10:41 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Richmond Spiders

Dukes got better as the game went on vs Mason's matchup zone and eventually had them back to playing man, so hopefully that can carry over vs UR's matchup. 

After the Dukes held Mason to a poor percentage from 3 on Saturday, Richmond is now number one % team in league play from deep. Nick Sherod is leading the way from deep for them. The 38.1% contrasts with a below average 32% for the entire season which shows some of the improvement they've made since their tough non-con schedule basically sunk their chances at postseason .  Their version of the Princeton seems to really whip the ball around the perimeter with touch passes and threes off dribble drives. 

While a good number of offensive boards conceded on Saturday were "team rebounds," eight to be exact (likely from Tydus blocking a shot out of bounds) and a few boards were blocked shots right back to the Mason shooter, the Dukes were still poor keeping the undersized Mason off the boards. Richmond has the 6'10 Golden and the rest of the lineup is small. Couple the fact that Princeton teams don't really have a presence on the offensive glass and Mooney's teams are no exception, Dukes absolutely have to own the glass on their end.

Past teams were usually confounded by Richmond's D and got totally torched by their offense. It is a new era and hopefully KD has the answers for the program that we've had virtually no answer for over their 17 years in this league.  Richmond's young team seems to have shown  improvement and they're better than their record shows but we need to protect home court.

A win tomorrow puts the Dukes in sole possession of second place and with some probable results, could be two or more games up on everyone else behind them in the standings, Davidson excluded.

Game will be on AT&T Pittsburgh but hopefully we get a good crowd for this one. Weekday games haven't drawn nearly as well as weekend games, so will be something to watch for in regards to crowd and atmosphere.

Go Dukes!

1/23/2018 11:32 pm  #3

Brian wrote:

A win tomorrow puts the Dukes in sole possession of second place and with some probable results, could be two or more games up on everyone else behind them in the standings, Davidson excluded.

Forget that scenario, VCU rallies to force OT and gets the win over SLU 75-74.

Oh well, Dukes winning tomorrow is what matters most.

1/24/2018 10:51 am  #4

Should be another tight one. I was reading their board and they were talking about our schedule being ranked 351 in the country and that there's was between the 50-70s in ooc.

Shows they must have had a tough early schedule based on their A10 results. All I'm saying is don't take them for granted strictly on record.

I stiil think we can and probably should win the game. They were also talking about an overall lack of depth and height for a young team. Hopefully we can wear them down.

Doesn't it seem like almost every A10 team we played this year has had depth issues? Likely why the league is down as a whole. Most of these teams are reloading and there will probably be a lot more depth and talent next year. Probably also has something to do with there being a lot of recent coaching changes in the league.

1/24/2018 11:16 am  #5

Duques102 wrote:

Should be another tight one. I was reading their board and they were talking about our schedule being ranked 351 in the country and that there's was between the 50-70s in ooc.

Shows they must have had a tough early schedule based on their A10 results. All I'm saying is don't take them for granted strictly on record.

I stiil think we can and probably should win the game. They were also talking about an overall lack of depth and height for a young team. Hopefully we can wear them down.

Doesn't it seem like almost every A10 team we played this year has had depth issues? Likely why the league is down as a whole. Most of these teams are reloading and there will probably be a lot more depth and talent next year. Probably also has something to do with there being a lot of recent coaching changes in the league.

Ditto on tight because of Coach MOONEY ( I think) and Richmond has owned us for so long. Plus for us due to home and confidence.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/24/2018 11:53 am  #6

Really expecting a tight game tonight. Mooney has done an outstanding job at Richmond for as long as he has been there. Don't believe there are any seniors starting. Kind of like we will be next year with 5 fr. 6 sophs and a couple juniors, plus whatever else depending on who comes or goes. Still need something out of our bigs tonight. CB needs to redeem himself after a sub par performance against Mason on Saturday. Taking the Dukes by 2!

1/24/2018 12:29 pm  #7

Big game IMO, esp considering the next few games(road trips).  Would be real nice to get this one, and keep the home slate clean in conference.

1/24/2018 1:38 pm  #8

Crazy stat - Since joining the A10, Richmond holds a 20-1 record against the Dukes!  Let's try to fix that!  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/24/2018 2:49 pm  #9

Simms wrote:

Crazy stat - Since joining the A10, Richmond holds a 20-1 record against the Dukes!  Let's try to fix that!  

And I don't remember the win!!

1/24/2018 2:54 pm  #10

president wrote:

Simms wrote:

It was 2012 on ESPNU and in front of a sellout or near sellout crowd for the annual "Red Out" game. I think it was the Chuck Cooper game as well, as you can see the real old school red throwbacks worn by the Dukes.

1/24/2018 3:13 pm  #11

Brian wrote:

president wrote:

Simms wrote:

It was 2012 on ESPNU and in front of a sellout or near sellout crowd for the annual "Red Out" game. I think it was the Chuck Cooper game as well, as you can see the real old school red throwbacks worn by the Dukes.

Awesome find Brian! This was one of my fondest memories as a Duquesne fan! It was indeed Chuck Cooper night, indeed a sell out and red out, and indeed a win for the Dukes. National TV game on ESPNU, I was just a starry eyed sophomore sitting in the student section that night. The absolute best home atmosphere we've had in my 8 years of attending games.

Thanks for the nostalgia!

1/24/2018 3:29 pm  #12

Glad to share, though I had nothing to do with producing the video, just glad that it is something to watch when I need a trip down memory lane for a Dukes bball fix. That was definitely one of the highlights of that season as Duquesne pulled out all the stops for that one and everyone involved responded.

Hope we aren't still looking back on this game as that ONE win we saw over Richmond.

1/24/2018 3:32 pm  #13

I just verified that this game was the last time Duquesne sold out a game. February 4th, 2012. It's been nearly 6 years.

But we're getting closer

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/24/2018 3:37 pm  #14

IIRC, the athletic department ran a big Groupon deal for that game and it certainly was a success for that one night. Hopefully, the wins keep building the momentum and by one of the games in Feb we get one with a Dukes win. 

1/24/2018 3:39 pm  #15

Good grief. I was there! My wife must be right about me. Forgot that was Richmond!!

1/24/2018 7:13 pm  #16

A 10 feed has no video. this sucks

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/24/2018 7:14 pm  #17

Terrible start. Too many easy baskets. A zone might be in order here.

1/24/2018 7:14 pm  #18

This will get ugly early if we don't figure out how to stop them.

1/24/2018 7:30 pm  #19

Tejas_Duke wrote:

A 10 feed has no video. this sucks

Hmmm, switched over to Mozilla and the video is there. Still not on "Whatever the hell Microsoft is now"

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/24/2018 7:33 pm  #20

Looking a little better but missed about 3 bunnies so far. Lewis in and out  on a couple of 3's. Anytime we try to feed Brown it goes bad.

1/24/2018 7:42 pm  #21

Defense has been much better after the first 5 or 6 minutes. Let's finish this half strong.

1/24/2018 7:51 pm  #22

Went cold the last couple minutes. Down 6 at the half. Down by as much as 12 early on.

1/24/2018 7:53 pm  #23

Playing decent defense. If the shots start falling there should be a better outcome in the 2nd.

1/24/2018 7:55 pm  #24

Can we make a free throw?

1/24/2018 8:01 pm  #25

duq81 wrote:

Can we make a free throw?

Have a better shot at it if Lewis, Williams or Castro get to the line.

Board footera