Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2018 1:47 pm  #1

Ladies Win 78-70

Kadri-Ann had 24 points 11 rebounds 6 blocks - Julianna had 23 - Bring on VCU

2/04/2018 2:13 pm  #2

Re: Ladies Win 78-70

Very important win as all are.  Was worried this could be a trap game with a let down after Dayton. 

But they were having none of that.

2/05/2018 4:39 pm  #3

We were at the game and in the first half, Duquesne (a little banged up), did not come out and impose its size and skills against a fired up  Richmond squad but in the second half, it was a different story.

You saw the stretch when the Dukes offense began to roll, building to an 18 point lead in the fourth quarter with (I think) a little more than 7 minutes to go.  Unfortunately, the Dukes let the Spiders back in the game- getting sloppy on offense and letting down defensively.

Kadri-Ann played perhaps the best game of her career (and believe me) she was needed down the stretch hitting some timely shots and playing strong defense.

Let's put aside the Dayton loss; what concerns me going into the homestretch of the regular conference season is- Duquesne (with an abundance of talent and size), is not consistently putting teams away once they get a good lead on their opponent.  When the 4th quarter starts, they should forget the score and step on the gas pedal.

2/05/2018 6:11 pm  #4

Great you were able to support them on the road. 

Did you notice they were without a starter....Conor Richardson didn’t make the trip for some reason?  Perhaps that had something to do with not winning in the manner you believed they should have.

Also did you notice today they moved up from “Next Four Out” to “ First Four Out” in ESPN’s bracketology?   Meaning that the hope for at at large bid is not a shut case as you seem to believe.  Only one team ahead of them on First Four Out.

They also beat Richmond by a greater margin than Dayton or Fordham.

Last edited by duqkurt (2/05/2018 6:27 pm)

2/06/2018 4:44 pm  #5

At this point in the season, I care less about how well or poorly Dayton or Fordham plays against common opponents like Richmond because basketball (especially in the women's game), is a game of match-ups.

I also know the Selection Committee is not looking favorably @ the A10 because the Conference is 'down' this season.  That is why you saw the Charlie Crème story a couple weeks ago about Duquesne possibly being on the wrong side of the bubble due to its low RPI.

Which brings me back to how the Dukes perform- the one thing they have control over.  If they can collectively turn on the mental switch with the mind set of putting teams away in the 4th quarter (one area of weakness in their arsenal), they have a good chance of running the table to finish the regular season 25-4 and then one more push to get to the A10 finals; most likely a rematch against Dayton. 

If they can do those two things, I predict (now) the Committee will have no choice, but to select them, even if they lose to Dayton. 

2/06/2018 6:35 pm  #6

sperlman wrote:

At this point in the season, I care less about how well or poorly Dayton or Fordham plays against common opponents like Richmond because basketball (especially in the women's game), is a game of match-ups.

I also know the Selection Committee is not looking favorably @ the A10 because the Conference is 'down' this season.  That is why you saw the Charlie Crème story a couple weeks ago about Duquesne possibly being on the wrong side of the bubble due to its low RPI.

Which brings me back to how the Dukes perform- the one thing they have control over.  If they can collectively turn on the mental switch with the mind set of putting teams away in the 4th quarter (one area of weakness in their arsenal), they have a good chance of running the table to finish the regular season 25-4 and then one more push to get to the A10 finals; most likely a rematch against Dayton. 

If they can do those two things, I predict (now) the Committee will have no choice, but to select them, even if they lose to Dayton. 

You said before you knew someone in the selection committee.  Still curious to who that is.

You are predicting the same thing duq81 and I said last week that you seemed to disagree with then.

I only brought up comparative score because Richmond at 4-7 played Dayton and Fordham tough.  Sometimes your opponent does get credit for improvement and dispite being 4-7 Richmond has improved.  And we did this being down a starter.

We all want them to go run away with every game by 20 points.  Sometimes your opponent doesn’t let that happen.

I’m glad to have the debate with you and I’m certainly happy you support the women.  We both want them to go the the tournament and to do well.

Last edited by duqkurt (2/06/2018 6:44 pm)

2/07/2018 7:51 pm  #7

The head of the Selection Committee the past two seasons have been from Wisconsin, a BCS school.  Mid-majors are represented, but they have been instructed to 'toe the line' and select teams strictly from the RPI formula.  This is not good for Duquesne because their strength of schedule is not strong.

Board footera