Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2018 5:58 pm  #1

Killer loss today

Need to win the league now

2/10/2018 6:05 pm  #2

Re: Killer loss today

Bad day to be a Duke, but there will be better days ahead for both programs.

2/10/2018 6:12 pm  #3

Coach Burt ripped them in the presser.  Not same team without Conor.   I have cofinfence they can bounce back if they get Conor back.   Need to hang onto Number 2 seed to get the bye which I’m confident they will do.

2/10/2018 7:22 pm  #4

Probably the FIRST really bad game they played -  Still team IS 20-5 - seem to be a little scratchy lately even in the wins - Hopefully game serves as a wake up call.

St Joes is/was physically bigger and stronger - created some tougher match ups - still DU blitzed them at THEIR place.

NICE to see Chas get recognized for the 1,000 point thing.

2/10/2018 8:04 pm  #5

Agree with your comments.  St. Joseph's two best players who were not available in the first matchup played today.

Moving forward, Duquesne must address several vulnerabilities to win their remaining regular conference games and have a chance for the A10 title:

1-They are being outscored in the paint more frequently. That's because our guards (with the exception of Conor) are more interested in looking for 3 point opportunities than passing the ball into the post.  The inside/outside game has almost disappeared despite the fact that our posts are often open and calling for the ball.
2-Duquesne has trouble defending the A10's more athletic posts. You saw this repeatedly in the Dayton game and today. There is no weak-side help coming or weak side help comes too late. 
3-Defensively, we are not making our opponents uncomfortable when they have the ball. Our man defense (especially on the perimeter) does not pressure their guards.
4-We do not adjust well when an athletic team zones us.
5-We allow too many offensive rebounds and put-backs.

Defensively, I would like to see us in a 2-3 zone.  Offensively, the obvious solution is getting more post touches, but I don't know if it's possible to change the guards'  mindsets this late in the season.

2/10/2018 8:27 pm  #6

duqkurt wrote:

Coach Burt ripped them in the presser. Not same team without Conor. I have cofinfence they can bounce back if they get Conor back. Need to hang onto Number 2 seed to get the bye which I’m confident they will do.

​Conor will be back for the next game at 100%.

2/10/2018 8:40 pm  #7

Officer Dribble wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Coach Burt ripped them in the presser. Not same team without Conor. I have cofinfence they can bounce back if they get Conor back. Need to hang onto Number 2 seed to get the bye which I’m confident they will do.

​Conor will be back for the next game at 100%.

That is very good news.

2/11/2018 7:07 am  #8

Sperlman:  INTERESTING ANALYSIS - BUT

In Dan/Matt/Rachel & Cherie I Trust the 20-5 record and the tournaments bids EVERY year speak for themselves.

Different coaches have Different Philosophies - Dayton reportedly tries to bring in One Center/True Post Player EVERY YEAR - If they hit 2 out of 4 - CAN cause match up problems.  DU with their strong International Base is probably NOT going to get THAT type of player -  DU's philosophy is ANY ONE can shoot from ANY WHERE - Even players like Eniko can shoot the Three - Szmoza who was decent enough in the post - could also step out and hit them - Angelina and Paige even though they are from the USA - same type of player. THIS can cause problems the other way - the other team's bigs can be reluctant to stroll from the hoop giving DU the easy 3's -  Was ALMOST comical when VCU's best big wound up covering Chas after a switch - Chas ALMOST BROKE THE VCU PLAYER'S  ANKLES DRIVING AROUND HER FOR THE LAY UP - Some days they fall - some days they don't. Even Helmi at 6'3 and in her first year seemingly has the green light to try threes.

Without Connor the defense gets exposed somewhat - ONLY because the team is missing Nina - when the recruiting class was put together - staff probably felt comfortable with 2 players like that hence giving Halle the OK to red shirt - sure there will be injuries - you just don't know where -  Libby & Amanda (whom I  both REALLY like as players - were probably options 3A-3B - to guard athletic type bigger guards/smaller forwards - for the last two games they have been option 1A-1B - BIG difference . I'm NOT going to say we would/could have won yesterday with Connor - just one of those days. And remember there are only 200 minutes available - had Nina not been injured I wonder how much experience Libby & Amanda would have picked up (which hopefully pays dividends down the road) 

With all the optimism we have for NEXT year (only 1 senior leaving - 4/5 players back) Keeping everyone happy and giving them enough time might be the biggest problem.

Philosophy wise The Good teams (as DU is) - for the most part say We'll do what WE do best - and take our chances -  Bob Knight almost NEVER played zone - his teams weren't that athletic but had success others (like the Patriots) might say let's take away what THEY do best - that can involve different scenarios for each game.

2/11/2018 11:21 am  #9

First let me say that I love Coach Burt and all he has done for DU Basketball.   I hestitate criticizing him. 

I read Zach’s article and some of his comments.  Perhaps Coach should have taken a few more minutes to cool off before addressing questions.  Some of his responses I didn’t think were necessary.    Just my opinion.

2/11/2018 4:09 pm  #10

Very good points by Skeptic Al and duqkurt.  I have a strong relationship with Dan that goes back to the 2008-2009 season and while he's certainly the decision-maker, he has always appreciated both my appreciation and candid remarks.

I would guess you have more unconditional loyalty than I.  That's a great thing and don't lose it.  I tend to look at Duquesne less subjectively, only because I have closely followed the women's game nationally for 35 years, used to do the play by play for a national championship team in California, and actively support 7 other teams in addition to the Dukes.

Dan is a better game coach than Suzie McConnell Serio, but when Suzie was here, she could recruit  the likes of Vanessa Able and Jocelyn Floyd- super defensive guards and Duquesne was able to pressure the opposition and make them uncomfortable.  We are unable to recruit those kinds of players today with the exception of Conor and perhaps Nina. Lacking quickness, we allow too much penetration and easy passes into the post.  I have seen teams less athletic than Duquesne defeat teams more athletic than St. Joseph's and Dayton and they use very effective zone variations that disrupt penetration and minimize the opposition's superior post presence.  

Offensively, Dan has long preached an inside/outside game, but with the exception of April Robinson, our guards are reluctant to look for and feed our (open) post players.  I have my suspicions but not sure. Our guards took about 20 more shots yesterday (oftentimes contested and with time running out) than our posts.  You know something is wrong when a short, non-athletic team like St. Bonaventure scores about as many points in the paint as Duquesne did against them (21-22).

While we have skilled posts who can shoot the 3-ball, the math tells us that the average opportunity for victory becomes smaller when 65% or more of your shots come from outside rather than in the paint.

A quick comment about recruiting.  You are right in that Dayton can get athletic posts that we can't.  One solution is to look for exceptionally tall (relatively skilled) girls in the Eastern European countries.  Dan may actually have his eye on some potential 'bigs' but we need to start getting 6'5, 6'6 (and taller) recruits. Two girls from Serbia were mentioned a while ago in one of the posts.

2/11/2018 10:26 pm  #11

duqkurt wrote:

First let me say that I love Coach Burt and all he has done for DU Basketball. I hestitate criticizing him.

I read Zach’s article and some of his comments. Perhaps Coach should have taken a few more minutes to cool off before addressing questions. Some of his responses I didn’t think were necessary. Just my opinion.

To add context, I requested Saint Joseph's to speak in the media room following the game. Their coach Cindy Griffin and a player Alyssa Monaghan spoke first, so there was plenty of time to cool off and calm down. Dan has been always been open and honest and has had moments similar to this last year so this did not surprise me.

This frustration is because Dan absolutely is 100% invested in this program. This was the first time other outlets got to see this as three other reporters were in the press conference. 

Last year this actually happened a few times and a couple of times I had enough other content to mask it. This time it was all Dan said and I had to use his remarks which in a lot of respect were correct, though maybe could have been said in a different, less emotional way.

There was no reason for a player to be in that media room yesterday and I even said that when asked who I wanted to come in. It just wasn't appropriate.

Frankly the team has had some slow starts for a while now and this was eventually going to happen. Really it changes absolutely nothing. Duquesne still has to win A-10's and anything less will almost definitely keep them out of the NCAA Tournament. A loss Wednesday to Saint Louis does not change that.

This team really needs Conor Richardson back, that is very evident but really this next week will tell the story of the rest of this season. 

I am not concerned by Dan's remarks. It just comes down to increased focus on defense and more productive post touches among other things. This season still really has a chance to be special.

2/12/2018 6:44 am  #12

Sperlman:  Appreciate the positive comments -

It's not as much "blind loyalty" as it is my belief that the Decisions Coach Burt (and the staff) make as to recruiting, game plans etc - are FAR SUPERIOR to anything that I could come up with.  (The same holds true for Mike Tomlin, Clint Hurdle, Mike Sullivan and Kevin Stallings) - Since I have minimal interest in their teams (if any) don't necesarilly pay that much attention.

Are these decisions 100% correct - NOT by a long shot - but I'm sure they have a sound basis for the decisions they make (game decisions must be made on the fly of course)

I DO try to put SOMETHING positive in each post.

2/12/2018 10:53 am  #13

A question and a comment.

Was Dan's post game press conference posted online?  I could not find it.  If it's there, could someone please provide me with the link?

Comment- If you are content with Duquesne's performance- typically winning 20+ games, being a runner-up for the A10 crown and usually going to the WNIT (with a 2015-2016 magical year exception), then I can understand your arguments regarding maintaining the types of players Duquesne is able to recruit and put on the court.  Make no mistake; the Dukes are a skilled, mid-major team.

If the goal is to get to the next level; to regularly beat the Dayton's of the world, typically be favored to win the A10; and frequently play in the NCAA Tourney, then I suggest you look at how other (non-athletic) teams are doing it such as Gonzaga (typically not that athletic), who defeated Dayton; has beaten PAC12 powerhouses like Oregon State and Stanford and been in the NCAA multiple times.  They import very tall (and skilled) players.

I understand the reluctance to criticize when you love the program so much.  I love Dan's program, but in a different way.  I'm vested in continuous improvement.  Thanks for the good debate.

2/12/2018 11:10 am  #14

I trust that Coach Burt has an open and honest relationship with his players, and that they accepted his remarks in the spirit in which they were meant.

Spend 10 minutes within earshot of Coach Burt and you'll know everything you need to know. He has genuine high regard for every player he recruits, wants the best for them, and pushes them to get the most out of them.

We all know how life works. Sometimes we all need a hug and sometimes we all need a kick in tukus.

2/12/2018 6:00 pm  #15

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/021018aab.html

Has a YouTube video in the story with press conference.

2/12/2018 7:00 pm  #16

thanks for the link!

2/14/2018 6:44 am  #17

Sperlman:

I guess for me the "Gold Standard at DU" was the team of two years ago - that went to the NCAA - blew out the opposition in the 8-9 game.

Team wasn't particularly big - what DU DID have then (and is probably lacking this year) is not one BUT TWO players - (Robinson & Workman) whom you could put the ball in their hands with 7-8 seconds on the shot clock and they could create something.  The strength of Chassidy is "catch and shoot" Julijana's  is probably "get set and let it fly" - While they do drive to the basket in an effort to create fouls etc.   It is NOT what they do best. BOTH were visibly frustrated with the officiating in the St. Joes game. 

Regarding the post in the recruiting section - YOU CAN'T TEACH SIZE -  Hopefully the players that have committed are athletic enough to fit in -  DO trust the coaching staff in their judgement.

NOW hopefully the ladies beat St. Louis am pretty sure their coach WON'T let them forget the beatdown administered at Palumbo last year and they DO have a decent team.

DU has taken some hits for their schedule - Interesting point - how many teams that scheduled DU - EXPECTED them to be a top 50 or so team - Probably very few --  Maybe there was some expectations that teams like Pitt - while still struggling would win a few more games in the ACC and be a little higher -  We've played Iona for a couple of years - at one point I think they were an NCAA team - this year they've really struggled -  Same for some teams in the A-10 - If THEY had been a little better DU'S RPI might be higher.

Would be a bummer to win like 25-26 games and not get an at-large bid - BUT LOOK AT WHAT BROUGHT DRAMBOT TO THE BLUFF!!!

Board footera