Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2018 8:27 am  #1

Yahoo! Reports on College BB Underbelly

Chaz Williams, former UMass guard, in the report for receiving a “loan”. I think there is much more to come.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

2/23/2018 10:44 am  #2

Re: Yahoo! Reports on College BB Underbelly

Hey, one of the benefits of totally sucking for the last 40 years is that we are likely nowhere near this investigation!

2/23/2018 12:47 pm  #3

Duques102 wrote:

Hey, one of the benefits of totally sucking for the last 40 years is that we are likely nowhere near this investigation!

Did Mickey Davis take money from Sonny Vacaro? Just asking!

2/23/2018 1:43 pm  #4

Hey, maybe they'll bust so many schools that we'll be the only "clean" one left. Would that make us national champions?

2/23/2018 2:06 pm  #5

scduke wrote:

Hey, maybe they'll bust so many schools that we'll be the only "clean" one left. Would that make us national champions?

Haha exactly. With the likes of Texas, Arizona, Duke, UNC, Louisville, UCLA, Kentucky, and other big programs all potentially receiving postseason bans I'll go ahead and be the first to predict that if that happens Dukes in the NCAAs next year as a top 8 seed!!!!

Who cares if the NEC becomes a 4 bid league in that scenario! Welcome to the new "Power 5"

2/23/2018 2:15 pm  #6

Duques102 wrote:

scduke wrote:

Haha exactly. With the likes of Texas, Arizona, Duke, UNC, Louisville, UCLA, Kentucky, and other big programs all potentially receiving postseason bans I'll go ahead and be the first to predict that if that happens Dukes in the NCAAs next year as a top 8 seed!!!!

Who cares if the NEC becomes a 4 bid league in that scenario! Welcome to the new "Power 5"

That's a joke.  After the NCAA let the golden boy program, North Carolina, off on some technicality, despite massive academic and educational fraud, they are never going to cut their March Madness throats.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/23/2018 2:18 pm  #7

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/02/penn_state_newbill_fbi_yahoo.html
Former Penn State basketball player D.J. Newbill named as recipient of loan from FBI-investigated sports agency

2/23/2018 3:12 pm  #8

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

scduke wrote:

That's a joke.  After the NCAA let the golden boy program, North Carolina, off on some technicality, despite massive academic and educational fraud, they are never going to cut their March Madness throats.

No doubt. The NCAA is a "Member Driven" organization.

Aka the NCAA makes over a billion dollars a year to host a tournament and 80% of the field is made up of these teams being investigated year in and year out.

No blue bloods, no mass attraction, aka no big tv draw, aka no huge revenue.

The NCAA needs these programs to continue to line their fat pockets. Louisville will definitely get hit the hardest, but other than them I expect nothing more than a slap on the wrist for most of the other guilty parties.

2/23/2018 7:02 pm  #9

So a kid has to go to college for a year, and needs extra benefits?   One year then make millions.   Cant even do that?    Disgusting.

2/23/2018 8:01 pm  #10

Of course several of the schools involved say "OUR Investigation didn't turn up any violations"

Talk about the Foxes guarding the Chicken Coop!!

Reportedly SIX schools from the ACC (All Cheaters Conference???) are on the list.

Will be interesting to see if hyenas like Dicke V , Jay Bilas etc.will CALL THESE SCHOOLS OUT -  (or at least have to purchase MORE KLEENEX to wipe the drool off their faces!!!!

2/23/2018 10:33 pm  #11

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

Sean Miller won't be taking the Pitt job anytime soon. He's going to get the Bruce Pearl treatment.

Going to be some big programs without coaches. I'm guessing Tom Izzo will "retire."

2/23/2018 10:41 pm  #12

townsonkid wrote:

So a kid has to go to college for a year, and needs extra benefits? One year then make millions. Cant even do that? Disgusting.

They shouldn't have to go to college. Sidney Crosby, and Mario Lemieux never spent a day in college. If you're good enough to play in the NBA, you should be allowed to go.

2/23/2018 10:42 pm  #13

steve19981 wrote:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

Sean Miller won't be taking the Pitt job anytime soon. He's going to get the Bruce Pearl treatment.

Going to be some big programs without coaches. I'm guessing Tom Izzo will "retire."

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. ESP.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/23/2018 10:43 pm)

2/23/2018 10:46 pm  #14

Later, Sean

2/24/2018 8:04 am  #15

I feel so bad for him.

2/24/2018 9:45 am  #16

I guess we can put to rest the notion that Sean Miller didn’t tamper to get McConnell.  Wonder how much he got?

2/24/2018 10:13 am  #17

This doesn’t surprise me at all, both the Arizona player payments and allegedly getting caught talking about it on an FBI wiretap. He’s always been an arrogant little pissant.

2/24/2018 12:06 pm  #18

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

This doesn’t surprise me at all, both the Arizona player payments and allegedly getting caught talking about it on an FBI wiretap. He’s always been an arrogant little pissant.

Xavier is mixed up in this. I wonder if Sean was paying while he was there?

2/24/2018 7:02 pm  #19

Sean Miller not coaching tonight.  Probably meeting with counsel to discuss the $$$ he can get on the balance of his contract, assuming he doesn't have a "termination for cause" clause in it.

2/24/2018 7:14 pm  #20

gram, check this out. Some good lawyering:

Quirk in Sean Miller's contract gets him more from Arizona if he's fired for cause
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/quirk-in-sean-millers-contract-gets-him-more-from-arizona-if-hes-fired-for-cause/

2/24/2018 9:15 pm  #21

Talk about irony!  A coach gets the boot, gets more than the school bargained for.  Bet the lawyers for the school who drafted that contract are unemployed after this fiasco is over.  If I am Arizona University, I make Miller sue me.  Once in court the parties always negotiate.  Miller may get $$$$ but his name and reputation are history. His legacy will be on a par with Pitino.  So too his financial; portfolio.  What a shame.

2/25/2018 12:37 pm  #22

I am curious where this will take basketball.

2/25/2018 1:45 pm  #23

townsonkid wrote:

This is a sport that has had more scandals than the New England Patriots. None of this is anything new. 70 years ago, players got caught taking money from criminals. Are we supposed to think that they weren't also taking money from alums and other boosters back then? College sports has been corrupt ever since big crowds started showing up in the 1880s. Nothing will change this. They even cheat at the D3 level.

2/25/2018 3:52 pm  #24

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

This is a sport that has had more scandals than the New England Patriots. None of this is anything new. 70 years ago, players got caught taking money from criminals. Are we supposed to think that they weren't also taking money from alums and other boosters back then? College sports has been corrupt ever since big crowds started showing up in the 1880s. Nothing will change this. They even cheat at the D3 level.

Damn, you remember crowd sizes in the 1880s?  

2/25/2018 6:06 pm  #25

townsonkid wrote:

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Damn, you remember crowd sizes in the 1880s?  

You'd be surprised what you can learn when you take the time to do a little reading.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/2/24/17042498/first-ncaa-college-sporting-event-cheating
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/10/the-shame-of-college-sports/308643/

Board footera