Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2018 9:13 pm  #1

Game Thread - Davidson Wildcats

12:00pm EST tip on Saturday 02/24/2018 at the AJ Palumbo Center
Per KenPom:
Dukes #187 (15-13; 6-9) vs Davidson #56 (16-10; 11-4)
Davidson projected to finish 2nd (13-5) in the 14 team Atlantic 10 Conference; Dukes projected to finish 10th (7-11)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 6, 73-67 - Dukes with 29% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 6½ point underdogs; Over/Under 139
Duquesne 12-8 Against the Spread: Davidson 14-11 ATS

Previous Game this Season: Davidson 84-81 (home)
Davidson Best Win(s): St. Bonaventure (68); Saint Louis (132); VCU (153)
Davidson Worst Loss(es): Appalachian St. (221); Hawaii (206); Richmond - twice (196)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate
Top 100 ranking overall or top 3 in conference noted as a strength; Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 3 in conference as a weakness.

Here's a look at Davidson for the season:
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG% (9); Turnover % (12)
Offensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebounding (323); Getting to the FT Line (349)
Defensive Strength:  Limits Offensive Rebounds (6); Limits Opponents FT's (49)
Defensive Weakness:  Doesn't create Turnovers (289)

Here's a look at Davidson in conference (14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG% (1); Turnover % (3)
Offensive Weakness:  Getting to the FT Line (14)
Defensive Strength:  Limits Offensive Rebounds (1); Doesn't send opponents to the FT Line (2); Effective FG% (3)
Defensive Weakness:  Doesn't create Turnovers (13)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 351 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebounds (39); Getting to FT Line (100)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG% (257)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG% (90)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in conference (14 teams)
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebounds (2)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Sends Opponents to the FT Line (13)

2/24/2018 8:23 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Davidson Wildcats

We're due for a game where everything goes our way.

2/24/2018 11:34 am  #3

Dukes got a shot if they can play this one at their pace and keep it in the 60s. Davidson (1-8 when held under 70 points) leans heavily on their top three players (Aldridge, Grady, Gudmundsson), who average between 34 and 37 minutes a game, and only goes 7-deep in a very up-tempo system, yet fatigue doesn't seem to be an issue for them, go figure. 

Two things I don't understand. It's the Chuck Cooper Classic and the game starts at noon? Not exactly a prime time start for what SHOULD be a big annual event for Duquesne. Remember a few years ago when this game was played on a Saturday night and the Palumbo Center was packed? And it's "senior night" even though there's another home game left. Again, noon start and a pregame ceremony to honor the final-year players that will necessarily start in the AM. Much of the on-campus student population will still be in bed. I realize next week is midterms, and maybe it's easier to get the players' parents in town for a weekend rather than midweek game, but still. Does the A10 force them into these noon starts?

2/24/2018 11:50 am  #4

So I am just getting ready for the game. I am not really expecting much in the way of success today as we don't match up with a fine Davidson team at all.

My friend , Austin Tatious,  has dropped by and we are gonna play one of our favorite drinking games.

I have my Crown Royal close at hand and we are gonna take a drink every time "Big Chas Brown" ( God love 'em ) stumbles and almost falls. If the big guy goes down we do 2 shots !!  Here is lookin at you !!

Catch you boys on the flip side !!

Last edited by ghost (2/24/2018 11:51 am)

2/24/2018 11:54 am  #5

Just out of curiosity, ghost, how many shots do you do when Chas gets called for a moving pick or otherwise flattens an opposing player?

2/24/2018 11:59 am  #6

ghost wrote:

So I am just getting ready for the game. I am not really expecting much in the way of success today as we don't match up with a fine Davidson team at all.

My friend , Austin Tatious,  has dropped by and we are gonna play one of our favorite drinking games.

I have my Crown Royal close at hand and we are gonna take a drink every time "Big Chas Brown" ( God love 'em ) stumbles and almost falls. If the big guy goes down we do 2 shots !!  Here is lookin at you !!

Catch you boys on the flip side !!

"Austin Tatious" - clever name

2/24/2018 12:23 pm  #7

Kudos just the same to Keith for starting the 4 seniors. Jimbo didn't do that on senior night last year. 

2/24/2018 12:24 pm  #8

Just took a couple minutes for the officials to screw the Dukes.

2/24/2018 1:47 pm  #9

The guys are trying hard, but we just don't have enough talent on this current squad to consistently beat most decent teams. And we consistently do not get the benefit of the doubt from the refs right now.

2/24/2018 3:03 pm  #10

The Dukes battled all day against a much better group of players. Mike Lewis  pushed it all game, even Eric James played his best game of the year.

I noticed our Dukes drive to the hoop a lot but somehow never draw fouls even when they are pushed and grabbed, this wasn't happening earlier this campaign. Even Hosea Champaine couldn't get to the rim against that crew today although a few of those gents may have had loose teeth.

No quit from our men today, there may be some surprised folks next year once our talent level has risen.

Gotta love KD fighting till the end coaching his guys.....

A diehard fan since 1961

2/24/2018 6:43 pm  #11

Unfortunately, the Dukes probably won't win another regular-season game and —just  like last year — will figure out a way to lose a heartbreaker in the opening round of the A-10 tournament. 

Despite his best efforts, even the highly-touted Dambrot can't avoid the perennial late-season collapse of recent years.

After a while, it gets old.  Really old.

Last edited by IronDukes12 (2/24/2018 6:54 pm)

2/24/2018 7:05 pm  #12

IronDukes12 wrote:

Unfortunately, the Dukes probably won't win another regular-season game and —just  like last year — will figure out a way to lose a heartbreaker in the opening round of the A-10 tournament. 

Despite his best efforts, even the highly-touted Dambrot can't avoid the perennial late-season collapse of recent years.

After a while, it gets old.  Really old.

Hey...can you send me that link of the KD interview with Ray Goss you used to criticize him.  Your quotes are being used in another forum and really want to hear what you heard first hand.  Thanks in advance.

Lots of things get old.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (2/24/2018 7:08 pm)

2/25/2018 7:12 pm  #13

If the transfers and incoming freshmen are as good as advertised, Mike Lewis will be in a dog fight for playing time next year.  I wonder how many minutes he will get if the others are better defenders, can create their own shot and shoot reasonably well.

2/25/2018 10:56 pm  #14

theprofessor1099 wrote:

If the transfers and incoming freshmen are as good as advertised, Mike Lewis will be in a dog fight for playing time next year.  I wonder how many minutes he will get if the others are better defenders, can create their own shot and shoot reasonably well.

KD likes to play 11 guys. They'll all see the floor.

2/26/2018 10:14 am  #15

First, I do not see this falloff as a late season swoon. The schedule got appreciably more difficult IMO as the A-10 schedule played out. Road games at RI, Olean, Dayton, and playing Davidson anywhere, The only game where we failed to compete was the home loss to the Rams. No collapse here, again in my opinion. Just a tougher part of the schedule. No question that ML is slumping but showed signs of coming out of it on Saturday.The last two games are definitely winnable if we play our best BB. Hope to see a big crowd at Palumbo on Wednesday for St. Louis. there are endless possibilities still on the table with A-10 tourney and possible CBI bid to follow. Hoping for at least 2 or 3 more wins before we put this season to bed.
GO DUKES!!

2/27/2018 11:44 am  #16

Agree, more difficult games and some really hard match ups with some high scoring guards, truly some of the best in the A-10.

And our front line this time of year is being out played nightly by some quality, veteran A-10 forwards and posts.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/27/2018 12:30 pm  #17

There is little doubt that we are at a disadvantage in the frontcourt against almost any A-10 team this year. Should not be the case next year just with improvement on TV's part and the addition of Michael Hughes whom I believe will come in as a soph and be appreciably better than either JRobb or CB. Add Weathers to that and Williams as a soph and one or two of the freshman bigs who will get some PT and this will be a much different team upfront.

2/27/2018 4:41 pm  #18

Pres., I noted before that I am still concerned about the 4 and 5 positions next year, especially the 5, even though I am excited and hopeful.  MHughes was hurt and hasn't played and didn't play much as a Freshman at Akron so we really haven't seen enough of a sampling to determine how much better he is than our current bigs.  Tydus has to absolutely develop some offensive game otherwise it is the same as we are seeing now, just maybe a better defender.  I think TV can improve offensively as he is athletic enough and has the kind of length to suggest working on the  "jump hook"!  He is very tentative offensively at this point and I am hoping KD and staff can work with him on this offensive game and confidence in that regard.  We will certainly have more depth with the freshman bigs, but big men usually take some time to develop - unless you are at Duke or NC.  It will be interesting and although optimistic I want to see what these guys bring to the table.  Having some true PG's playing next year will also help as I've stated before that I don't think we feed the post quick or often enough with our current guards - especially as it applies to JRob's offensive game, which is halfway decent.  Weathers should help a good deal with offensive production at the 3 and 4 and I am pumped to see what Biz can do as well - he apparently can shoot from outside and that is a plus for the stretch 4.

2/27/2018 7:11 pm  #19

PistolPete wrote:

Pres., I noted before that I am still concerned about the 4 and 5 positions next year, especially the 5, even though I am excited and hopeful.  MHughes was hurt and hasn't played and didn't play much as a Freshman at Akron so we really haven't seen enough of a sampling to determine how much better he is than our current bigs.  Tydus has to absolutely develop some offensive game otherwise it is the same as we are seeing now, just maybe a better defender.  I think TV can improve offensively as he is athletic enough and has the kind of length to suggest working on the  "jump hook"!  He is very tentative offensively at this point and I am hoping KD and staff can work with him on this offensive game and confidence in that regard.  We will certainly have more depth with the freshman bigs, but big men usually take some time to develop - unless you are at Duke or NC.  It will be interesting and although optimistic I want to see what these guys bring to the table.  Having some true PG's playing next year will also help as I've stated before that I don't think we feed the post quick or often enough with our current guards - especially as it applies to JRob's offensive game, which is halfway decent.  Weathers should help a good deal with offensive production at the 3 and 4 and I am pumped to see what Biz can do as well - he apparently can shoot from outside and that is a plus for the stretch 4.

You can live with one of the five positions not giving much offense, but not two like this season. We have to get steady production out of either the 4 or 5. If we can get scoring out of both, we'll be in great shape.

Board footera