Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2018 11:26 am  #1

A10 Tournament

Let's go win it and get back to the NCAAs!

For those of you who have seen most of the games: What do you think it will take? 

2/27/2018 12:06 pm  #2

Re: A10 Tournament

We need solid defense from Conor, Paige, Kadri Ann, Enika, Helmi and Amanda.   We need Chassidy and Julianne to lead us in scoring.   

Again, I think Dayton could have a tougher path to the final game then us.  They could be playing Richmond in Richmond in the first round.   And then play probably George Mason. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if DU made the finals again.  Nor would I be surprised if they lost in any round.

2/27/2018 12:14 pm  #3

Agree some with fjhryn.

I'm not quite as down as some others are about the team's chances, mainly because looking around the league I'm seeing issues everywhere else too - Dayton included.

I think the Dukes will need to play much better defense than they have in five of the last six games to win.  This is especially true at the guard positions.  I also fully believe this team will need a non-starter to score at least double their average (get 8+ points) in a semifinal or final.  I'm not sold the starters can give three games in three days without some help.  See the previous runs in the A10 tourney with Kadri off the bench last year, Angela the year before. 

Last edited by rogabee (2/27/2018 12:15 pm)

2/27/2018 10:00 pm  #4

All of the top seeds won tonight, so the Dukes meet St. Louis in their opening game. The Billikens are a really streaky team as they were down 15 in the first half and ten at halftime. When the point guard penetrates, they are good. Hopefully, Connor and Amanda can shut her down again. Go Dukes!

Last edited by HookShot (2/27/2018 10:01 pm)

3/02/2018 5:45 pm  #5

Uh oh. Ladies down four with about a minute to play in the 3rd Period. C'mon Ladies put the Billikens away

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/02/2018 6:18 pm  #6

Well that was ugly.  Lady Dukes went over five minutes without a point in the last quarter!

​Reminds me of the overtime loss in the first round the Men suffered in 2011!

​Really Bummed right now

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/02/2018 6:21 pm  #7

Tough way to end a pretty successful season.

3/02/2018 6:42 pm  #8

They certainly didn’t get many calls. I caught a bit of the 2nd half and the Dukes were getting hammered every time they drove to the basket - no calls.

They had 5 more FG’s, same number of 3’s, outrebounded them and had less turnovers — and you lose by 6???

3/02/2018 6:48 pm  #9

They went to the free throw line 27 times to our 10.  In that 4th quarter scoring drought we got hacked on three consecutive posessions with no foul calls.

3/02/2018 8:43 pm  #10

Duquesne is disrespected at every juncture in this league.  I would like to see Duquesne explore opportunities in another league.  When you are a 2-seed playing a low seed and get screwed by the refs there is a definite problem.  I’ve watched the men’s team get screwed by the refs in this league all season; and there is no end to it.  Screw the A-10!

3/02/2018 8:50 pm  #11

Duquesne is disrespected at every juncture in this league.  I would like to see Duquesne explore opportunities in another league.  When you are a 2-seed playing a low seed and get screwed by the refs there is a definite problem.  I’ve watched the men’s team get screwed by the refs in this league all season; and there is no end to it.  Screw the A-10!

3/02/2018 8:53 pm  #12

The refs definitely have a problem with Dan Burt.  But, this team did not perform like a 2 seed.  Terribly disappointing end of the A-10 season.

3/03/2018 7:03 am  #13

fjhryn wrote:

I've said enough about the A10 refs & Duquesne basketball over the season so I won't comment here. But the way the ladies have played the last few games, I'm sad about the results but not surprised.

I totally agree. We know the players are amateurs but the refs should whistleonly in the games for the third grade pupils.
These fourth Q scoreless  periods are expected if the starters play over 35 minutes in the games . Noway anybody in any level is supposed to play 37.40 minutes in the games.Lousy turnovers and one on one plays cost us the game.

3/03/2018 9:25 am  #14

The Dukes did not keep to their normal substitution pattern during this game. Libby, Eni and Helmi had no real run and that seemed to hurt. Agree that poor shot selection down the stretch was a killer. Still, a 23 win season and a likely WNIT bid. A very decent season!

Last edited by HookShot (3/03/2018 9:25 am)

3/03/2018 10:44 am  #15

Regarding the "minutes played"

Jackie Kempf played THE FULL FORTY!!!!

In post season play the inclination is usually to "shorten the bench"

Hopefully ladies get some home games in the WNIT and make a nice run -  

3/03/2018 12:52 pm  #16

SkepticAl wrote:

Regarding the "minutes played"

Jackie Kempf played THE FULL FORTY!!!!

In post season play the inclination is usually to "shorten the bench"

Hopefully ladies get some home games in the WNIT and make a nice run -  

Totally agree.  I thought they lost their way in the second quarter when they were up by going with the normal sub pattern.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/03/2018 12:53 pm)

3/03/2018 1:10 pm  #17

GW just upset Dayton. Slowed the game down and only had 1 turnover. Wonder if Dayton will get an at large bid. Only seeds 5,6, and 7 are left.

3/03/2018 2:09 pm  #18

HookShot wrote:

GW just upset Dayton. Slowed the game down and only had 1 turnover. Wonder if Dayton will get an at large bid. Only seeds 5,6, and 7 are left.

That hurts even more!  The door would have been wide open for an A-10 championship for the Dukes; a missed opportunity. 
I think this team needs to be a lot tougher, grittiness wins in March.

3/03/2018 6:14 pm  #19

Truly a potential opportunity squandered.

I won't pretend to be an expert on DU women's hoops but ...

DU was the only team in the tournament to give up 70 + points.

I am not sure what this means , just thought I'd throw it out there.

Peace out

3/04/2018 9:17 am  #20

You are correct Ghost.  I think we saw that defensive vulnerability all season; to go along with some higher turnover numbers in many games; a recipe for a disappointment.  Teams usually evolve as the season progresses.  For this team to be a conference champion it had to get better at stopping penetration through the lane on straight-line drives, and in defending Post Players.  These were two issues they never figured out.  I don’t know whether it was the defensive scheme or just the defensive shortcomings of individual players; but these problems were not corrected.

3/04/2018 12:20 pm  #21

Amadea was really missed. Both on offense and defensive ends.   Hopefully Laia Sole will solve that problem with Paige and Angela stepping up as well.

3/04/2018 2:39 pm  #22

duqkurt wrote:

Amadea was really missed. Both on offense and defensive ends. Hopefully Laia Sole will solve that problem with Paige and Angela stepping up as well.

The  perimeter defense was the problem all year  and it was not surprise that St Louis guard scored career high against us. The post defense was much better mainly because of Kadri´s presence. I wonder why we played small -ball all the season: 4 from 5 tallest were never on the court at the same time.Waste of talent. 
The coaches should be able to crate some offensive plans when the games is on the line, it was not the first time that the last minutes of the game were chaos.

3/04/2018 3:23 pm  #23

luke wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Amadea was really missed. Both on offense and defensive ends. Hopefully Laia Sole will solve that problem with Paige and Angela stepping up as well.

The  perimeter defense was the problem all year  and it was not surprise that St Louis guard scored career high against us. The post defense was much better mainly because of Kadri´s presence. I wonder why we played small -ball all the season: 4 from 5 tallest were never on the court at the same time.Waste of talent. 
The coaches should be able to crate some offensive plans when the games is on the line, it was not the first time that the last minutes of the game were chaos.

We had no offense without Chas and Julianna.  That’s why IMO.  Do you try and play defense and not being able to score?

I think they knew the weakness and just tried to play to their strength.  Trying to outscore people. 

Kuttor rebounded well all season. But on the offensive end never got a rebound and put up a shot.  Always looked to reset.  I don’t know if that was by design or she lacked confidence.  Paige at least had the confidence to rebound and go for the follow up shot.

I really didn’t see the chaos you mentioned until the last 2 minutes.  From the 6 minute mark to about the three minute mark , there were possessions where we drove to the baskets and didn’t get the calls that SLU got on the opposite end. 

We had the lead at 60-59 at 5:35 mark Those posessions took the score to 65-60 down.  One call perhaps changes that game. 

But I agree there were games with the chaos you mentioned.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/04/2018 4:57 pm)

3/04/2018 8:38 pm  #24

Reading the post, I have watched these games.  St. Louis came out determined to win the game.  The last few years we knocked them out.  The Refs are Refs.  You get good Refs and bad Refs.  Its part of the game.  What I have noticed over the games I have watched this year is that our guards are shoot first pass second mentality.  We have big people underneath.  We need to utilize them more.  Season isn't over.  Looks like we will go to the WNIT.  Get back to winning.  Go Dukes!

3/05/2018 6:28 am  #25

DuqBeach:  ARE 100% Correct about Good Refs/Bad Refs -  JUST hope they ARE CONSISTENT (what is a foul at one end is a foul at the other)  ESPECIALLY IN A TOURNAMENT GAME.

Coach Burt probably "works the officials" as much as anyone -  this is the FIRST time I've seen/heard specific comments directed towards them.

For what it is worth "basketball metrics" Seem to indicate that other than a lay up (or a dunk on the men's side)  a THREE IS A BETTER OPTION THAN THE 2!!!  Was an article in Sports Illustrated a while back about that - (Oddly enough they used Marshall vs Pitt as an example)  - Unsure if the metrics apply to the ladies as well.

So maybe  it's not just a guards "shoot first pass second mentality" but more of what baseball teams are doing these days with their defense etc.

Connor, Kadri Ann & Paige their share of 3's -- Even Eniko who seems reluctant to go back up after grabbing an offensive rebound will "pull the trigger" if the ball is in her hands behind the arc.  Think Kadri Ann is the ONLY one who can "create" consistently from inside (get the ball - spin one way or the other etc. go up score/draw a foul)  Hopefully Laia adds that option.   

There are/have been some concerns about our "match up" problems with Dayton - had the ladies got a second game with them maybe the results are different - had VCU got a third crack against DU - (especially down there) maybe That would have been different.

Some wins in the NIT would be nice.

Board footera