Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2018 12:16 pm  #1

Game Thread - Massachusetts Minutemen

8:00pm EST tip on Saturday 03/03/2018 at the Mullins Center, Amherst, MA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #190 (16-14; 7-10) vs Massachusetts #213 (11-19; 4-13)
Massachusetts projected to finish 13th (5-13) in the 14 team Atlantic 10 Conference; Dukes projected to finish 10th (7-11)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 2, 72-70 - Dukes with 42% probability of a win.
Betting line: Game is a PICK; Over/Under 143½
Duquesne 13-9 Against the Spread: Massachusetts 13-14 ATS

Massachusetts Best Win(s): Georgia (71); Providence (72)
Massachusetts Worst Loss(es): Fordham (284); Quinnipiac (275); George Mason - twice (209)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate
Top 100 ranking overall or top 3 in conference noted as a strength; Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 3 in conference as a weakness.

Here's a look at Massachusetts for the season:
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  Doesn't Get to the FT Line (350)
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Doesn't Create Turnovers (275)

Here's a look at Massachusetts in conference (14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  Doesn't Get to the FT Line (14)
Defensive Weakness:  Doesn't Create Turnovers (12); Allows Offensive Rebounds (13); Effective FG% (14)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 351 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebounds (46)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in conference (14 teams)
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebounds (3)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Sends Opponents to the FT Line (14)

3/03/2018 12:19 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Massachusetts Minutemen

The game is being broadcast on Eleven Sports USA - available on some local cable/satellite systems provided you subscribe to the channel package.
Verizon Fios - Channel 597
DirectTV - Channel 623
Check here for your cable system:  http://elevensportsusa.com/where-to-watch/

And streamed on the Atlantic 10 Network.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/03/2018 12:20 pm)

3/03/2018 12:56 pm  #3

I dreaded looking at the predictions for the last 6 games and knew realistically it would be brutal.  Fordham was the only shocker but the Dukes were just tired. 

This game would means more than most in assessing the overall success of KD's first season here... The difference between "great" and "exceeding expectations".

Last edited by coffee (3/03/2018 1:17 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/03/2018 3:01 pm  #4

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

The game is being broadcast on Eleven Sports USA - available on some local cable/satellite systems provided you subscribe to the channel package.
Verizon Fios - Channel 597
DirectTV - Channel 623
Check here for your cable system:  http://elevensportsusa.com/where-to-watch/

And streamed on the Atlantic 10 Network.

Thank you.  It is not on Comcast in Pittsburgh area in case anyone was wondering.  I looked it up.

3/03/2018 3:38 pm  #5

How about DISH?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/03/2018 4:58 pm  #6

LaSalle and GW both go down this afternoon, assuring the Dukes of no lower than a 10th place finish, avoiding the dreaded play-in round. I believe we're locked into 10th place regardless as we'd lose both a head-to-head tiebreaker with Dayton (based on best conference win) and a three-way tiebreaker with Dayton and Richmond (based on head-to-head). But let's get a win tonight. UMass is the worst team in the league and is more or less in free fall. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (3/03/2018 5:03 pm)

3/03/2018 5:05 pm  #7

Given that Dayton won and both GW and LaSalle lost this afternoon, the Dukes have locked in 10th place in the league. A win would tie us with Dayton, with whom we split. However, they beat the Bonnies, which gives them a better win than us. A loss ties us with GW and LaSalle, who we swept 2-0 and 1-0 respectively.

That being said, I am still looking forward to a road win over UMass tonight.

3/03/2018 5:32 pm  #8

George Mason and St. Louis both win tonight: Dukes play VCU
George Mason and St. Louis both lose tonight: Dukes play Richmond
George Mason wins, St. Louis loses, Dukes play St. Louis
George Mason loses, St. Louis wins, Dukes play George Mason

I'll leave it to Tejas Duke to compute the odds for how this is all gonna go down. 

3/03/2018 5:47 pm  #9

I'll like the Dukes chances against any but VCU.

Last edited by coffee (3/03/2018 5:48 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

3/03/2018 5:50 pm  #10

coffee wrote:

Have you seen us against Richmond lately?

3/03/2018 5:52 pm  #11

DennisC91 wrote:

LaSalle and GW both go down this afternoon, assuring the Dukes of no lower than a 10th place finish, avoiding the dreaded play-in round. I believe we're locked into 10th place regardless as we'd lose both a head-to-head tiebreaker with Dayton (based on best conference win) and a three-way tiebreaker with Dayton and Richmond (based on head-to-head). But let's get a win tonight. UMass is the worst team in the league and is more or less in free fall. 

This is correct. The Dukes could finish no worse than 10th as soon as La Salle lost. Game tonight is essesntially meaningless although a win would help their chances of being asked to buy a CBI game.

Last edited by steve19981 (3/03/2018 5:53 pm)

3/03/2018 5:59 pm  #12

WashPaRick wrote:

coffee wrote:

Honestly?  I'd like nothing better than to take on Richmond and break that curse this year!

Last edited by coffee (3/03/2018 6:01 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

3/03/2018 6:01 pm  #13

I'm with Herm Edwards tonight.....
Let's do it guys

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

3/03/2018 6:26 pm  #14

steve19981 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

This is correct. The Dukes could finish no worse than 10th as soon as La Salle lost. Game tonight is essesntially meaningless although a win would help their chances of being asked to buy a CBI game.

While you are correct that this game has no bearing on DU's standing in the League, it is far from meaningless.  A win tonight clinches a winning season.  That my friend, for this team and players, should be a big motivating factor.

3/03/2018 7:27 pm  #15

coffee wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

coffee wrote:

Honestly? I'd like nothing better than to take on Richmond and break that curse this year!

​I was thinking that same thing. I would love to utterly smash Richmond in the A 10 Tourney, where the refs can't give them the game!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/03/2018 7:39 pm  #16

Tejas_Duke wrote:

coffee wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Honestly? I'd like nothing better than to take on Richmond and break that curse this year!

​I was thinking that same thing. I would love to utterly smash Richmond in the A 10 Tourney, where the refs can't give them the game!

The A10 refs can’t favorite one team in a tournament game?   27-10.

3/03/2018 8:36 pm  #17

duqkurt wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

coffee wrote:

The A10 refs can’t favorite one team in a tournament game? 27-10.

If they can favor the visiting team in Palumbo, no problem in the tourney site.

3/03/2018 8:50 pm  #18

Jrob 10 pt first half Dukes trail 34-33

Last edited by Phildog (3/03/2018 8:51 pm)

A diehard fan since 1961

3/03/2018 8:50 pm  #19

Right after writing that one-liner, JRob gets called for a phantom charge. 

3/03/2018 8:53 pm  #20

Why no Chas?

3/03/2018 9:02 pm  #21

As much as everybody loves them on this board Lewis and Williams have got to learn to dish once in a while especially when teams are collapsing on them. They have 67 assists between them on the season and are shooting a combined 39%. The rest of the team shoots 44%. Tonight is a perfect example where they are shooting 3-14 combined while the rest of the team is 9-11. You wonder how the rest of the team could perform on a nightly basis if either of the two could dish the ball. I don't blame them because they're just kids and obviously doing what the coaches ask, I do question the coaching though.

3/03/2018 9:07 pm  #22

Rayrich wrote:

As much as everybody loves them on this board Lewis and Williams have got to learn to dish once in a while especially when teams are collapsing on them. They have 67 assists between them on the season and are shooting a combined 39%. The rest of the team shoots 44%. Tonight is a perfect example where they are shooting 3-14 combined while the rest of the team is 9-11. You wonder how the rest of the team could perform on a nightly basis if either of the two could dish the ball. I don't blame them because they're just kids and obviously doing what the coaches ask, I do question the coaching though.

I think once KD gets his bigs into play, they'll have someone to dish to inside.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

3/03/2018 9:13 pm  #23

coffee wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

I think once KD gets his bigs into play, they'll have someone to dish to inside.

Maybe

3/03/2018 9:17 pm  #24

Rayrich wrote:

I'd rather Lewis and WIlliams take every shot.  But even more than that, I wish they would play some defense tonight.  From the radio. sounds like UMass is getting everything easy, dunks, 3s, whatever.  

This is a big game, win it and lock up a winning season, possibly a postseason bid.  

Last edited by townsonkid (3/03/2018 9:18 pm)

3/03/2018 9:22 pm  #25

phil95 wrote:

Why no Chas?

Per Ray & JD on the radio feed - C Brown is a scratch due to flu-like symptoms.

Board footera