Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2018 10:52 am  #1

2017-2018 regular season review

A lot of people are happy with the 16 wins, me not so much for the following reasons listed below. I was looking for improvement, from the beginning of the season to the end. IMHO we leveled off and regressed from the middle of the season on.

Reasons why the 16 wins does not thrill me.
-Out of conference schedule was the weakest ever with all the games being played at home except the two neutral site games.
- The two local teams beat us again. Pitt had their worst team in a long time. Bobby Mo had a below average team for them and their weaker conference.
- The A10 was the weakest that it has ever been that I can remember. Many teams were as short handed or even more so than we were, wether it was injuries (St Joe's, Kimble and Brown two of their best players, Suspensions, St Louis, or newer coaches dealing with transfers or late recruiting like we our dealing with.) Let me move on to the final 14 games where we went 4 wins and 10 losses.

The 4 wins, triple overtime at home to Lasalle, ok nothing great. Beating George Mason at home, not bad. Winning at GW probably the best win, but then again nothing extraordinary. Finally beating St Louis, that was already decimated with suspensions, then they added another one before our game to one of their better players, so that was a game I thought was going to be easier than it actually was. The glaring losses. The Fordham game was just pathetic to the worst team in the league at home and never in it. Last night to a terrible UMASS team second to last place team. I myself do not call games you lose as quality losses, but I do try to figure out how I lost a game and what I could of done to win that game. Example would be the Rhode Island game. We had a sizable lead at their place, but blew it. Why ?, our coach never going to zone, while many teams have shown or exposed that is a weakness for the Rams. I could discuss all the games but it would turn into a boring rehash of what most people already know.

Thoughts on the coach and strategy.
-Love his desire to win and work ethic.
-It was great that he had transfers lined up to come here, then had the ability to put a recruiting class together that looks good and addresses our needs.
-Improved the play of the hold over players and added two young men in EW and TV.
-Did not appreciate his unprofessionalism towards Ray and then not showing up for or sending out an assistant for the following games post game show.
-Defensively I understand he is a man to man coach, but his stubbornness to go to zone has hurt us. You sometimes have to go against the other teams weaknesses. Or a trapping defense when Fordham was holding the ball against us.
- Offensively I saw much of the same as last year, no variety of set plays, guards dribbling and then chucking of threes or a high screen set by our big for a guard and then a shot with our big out of position to rebound because he is twenty feet from the basket.

I know a lot of posters are going to get on me for being more negative than positive, but I am a realist. I also realize that these are not his players and I am willing to give the man four to five years before a true evaluation of a coach can be gauged. I also would love to see them win just as much as anyone out there. These are just my thoughts on the regular season, and good luck in the tournament. I will anxiously await all the incoming players next year.

3/04/2018 11:21 am  #2

Re: 2017-2018 regular season review

Well the facts are the facts.  The Dukes did only win 4 of the last 14.  No question some of those losses were very disappointing as a fan, and I really did not like the way they folded like a cheap tent against Fordham & UMass . However, being happy about winning 16 games is a matter of expectations.  I look at a team starting two freshman, a guard who only played minor minutes the last couple of seasons, and a football player walk-on getting major minutes off the bench and think that winning 6 games in this League exceeds my expectations.  As far as the coach's performance, he needs to be judged on the raw materials he has on hand.  Next year will be completely different with the influx of talent.  Here again in getting what he could out of this team, and his outstanding recruiting he has exceeded my expectations.  

3/04/2018 11:47 am  #3

KD used 5 scholarships for transfers who had to sit out a year.  No matter what anybody says....this was a transition and building year.  There simply was not enough talent and depth to win this year.  This was a year to build culture and winning habits.  That means playing man-to-man while some would scream for zone.  There is not enough time to teach and practice every concept people want to see.  Zone works in HS but there is a reason pro teams don't use it...it is easy to beat with good passing and shooters.  Man-to-man is a better defense and takes more effort, communication and practice to be good.  Sacrificing this year by going with transfers and playing zone to win a few games this year would be completely foolish.  Teach and learn what you will be using on a regular basis. Down the road when they have the man-to-man down and play it aggressively and effectively KD will occasionally switch to zone to throw teams off.  That time is not this year or next year.  That will be when they have a system in place and can redshirt incoming freshman.  This is not about stubbornness.  I would wager all that I own that some here would argue that the zone played is better than the man-to-man played if they played both this year.  What message would that send??  You want to see the floor???  You play aggressive man-to-man defense with effort and passion.  Simple.  None of this "we like zone better" or "we are better at zone".  Man-to-man teaches accountability, communication, effort and guarding a man.  It is far better at limiting the 3 point shot.  I read where DU was second in the league guarding the 3pt shot.  Accident???  I think not.  Next year you will have a system in place and more horses to compete.

Lewis was expected to carry the team.  He is not consistent enough to do that.  At Akron, KD would have 6 guys who could be the leading scorer on any night.  There were often complaints from some fans (LurkingZip) that they did not have a dominant go-to scorer.  KD has always used the team approach.  Lewis should be more effective and have greater confidence when he is not relied upon so much.  If he is hot...he will go off for 30 points.  He will unlikely go 0-11 or 2-15 again.  I think he is a good player and will improve this off-season.

About the schedule.  No one ever remembers the strength of schedule...only the record.  If they are way way better and have a worse record because they scheduled the Bataan Death March OOC schedule...no one will remember.  IMO...next year they should schedule exactly as they did this year.  Hold off increasing the strength of schedule until you have an experienced core group.  All home or neutral games again would be perfect.

Lastly....   take a deep breath and relax.  It is only a game.  Enjoy the process.  You will look back on this time a few years from now with fond memories.  My memories of the futility of the Cleveland Indians only makes my enjoyment of them now all the greater.

Go Dukes!!!

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/04/2018 12:02 pm)

3/04/2018 11:52 am  #4

Great points by both gentleman.

I will only add the following :

Disappointed in ,

1) Lack of a "Where the heck did that come from win". That one game where no one expects us to be competitive , much less win and we shock the pundits and pull it out ( i.e. Ferry team beating SLU at SLU and snapping their long home court winning streak in a year they were a veteran , NCAA team ).

2) The continuing not understanding of the clock and game situations . Some examples would be 2 for 1 possessions at the end of a half , what is a good shot vs. a bad one , allowing one or 2 guys on the other team to just go off knowing that the opponents do not have 4 or 5 scoring threats on the court - in other words make their weakest players beat you .

3) Bench players James and "Krivo"  being non factors for whatever reason , hurt this years team.

Again , the season was about what I expected.

As for the future who knows.

3/04/2018 12:18 pm  #5

Wildwood13 wrote:

Thoughts on the coach and strategy.
-Did not appreciate his unprofessionalism towards Ray and then not showing up for or sending out an assistant for the following games post game show.

This post is from another thread.  "KD said it best during the press conference after the Davidson loss "I need to recruit my ass off".  The talent needs to be better plain and simple. The team with the best players win games"
If he did not show up for post game interviews...where did he say this??  Are there more than one TV/Radio commitments??

3/04/2018 12:26 pm  #6

I appeciate reading the thoughts of others.  But I’m not disappointed in the least.  We avoided the play in game which is in the bottom of the league. 

If the top of the league is the four double bye teams, we are now in the middle of the league.

KD realized Ferry’s goal (year 6 of his 5 year plan) of being middle of the pack in year 1.  Future looks bright.  Fans are interested and involved again.  The people that go are really into the games.

Really this was more than I hoped for this season.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/04/2018 1:36 pm)

3/04/2018 12:28 pm  #7

I was told by someone inside before the season that they hoped to win 1/2 of their games this year, and it looks like we will.

After reading the above posts it clears the air a bit, and helps one remember these current players, minus a few newcomers are creatures of the past Duquesne programs.

Warriors and nice kids but just mediocre at best as A-10 players.

For the most part I think they left it all on the floor, but as the old saying goes, " They gave their best but their best wasn't good enough"

Hope they dig in against Richmond, but the Spiders have had Duquesne's number for so long a win would surely be a great surprise.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/04/2018 1:40 pm  #8

Another thing.  For the first time in many seasons we can be happy we are not in Pitt’s position.  Which is a mess to say the least.

3/04/2018 3:50 pm  #9

I always find it interesting & informative to hear the different perspectives available in a thread like this. So, here is my take.
Positives:
-University stepped-up in a big way hiring an outstanding coach with a nice connection to the program's glory days, for big money & then backed him up with a commitment to provide unprecedented resources like smart scheduling & the sports shrink.
-While not approaching completion, a significant change in culture is easily observed by fans & outside observers alike.
-DU is no longer the dregs of the conference. 10th place is a nice improvement from both the previous season & preseason predictions.
-4 players scheduled to return for 2018-19 could/would start at multiple A-10 schools but as many as 3 may be reserves at some point in the next campaign.
-The Dukes won at least 5 close games that would likely have gone the other way under the previous regime.
-5 consecutive wins by at least 14 points against inferior competition
-7 game non-con winning streak
-Mike Lewis II stayed & has become a better overall player.
-Tarin Smith has become a good A-10 player that fits well with the coach's style of play & is setup for a nice senior year providing high quality depth & leadership.
-Eric Williams is an absolute steal & has the potential to be a 2 year, all-conference player.
-Verhoeven is a solid player with one elite skill, a very expandable skill set, a ton of serious experience, & 3 more years of eligibility. It has been a while since that could be written about a Duquesne big.
-Marked improvement in team defense, individual defense, & 3PT field goal defense
-KD & staff got serious, (if varying), results out of Tarin, JRob, Rene, & Kellon where the previous regime could not.
-Rene was one of the most improved players in the conference.
-8 incoming recruits of undeniable A-10 caliber. (I remain unsure of Dunn-Martin & M. Hughes)
-5 incoming recruits 6'8" or better

Negatives:
-Ike Mike left.
-February showed the true quality of the talent on-hand, lack of depth, & a team that plateaued while most of the conference competition continued to improve.
-6 game conference losing streak
-Inability to deal with opponents changing defenses
-Loses to Robert Morris, Cornell, Fordham, & UMass 
-KD took a calculated risk on a physically promising grad transfer & the results were only okay.
-Eric James never got on track.
-I am concerned that, for different reasons, all 4 of the returning scholarship players that played significant minutes could decide to transfer screwing-up the much needed continuity of the rebuild.

3/04/2018 5:57 pm  #10

You are what your record says you are. A great coach said that.

It goes for the team, the coach, and the folks who post here. Read into that what you may.

3/04/2018 8:22 pm  #11

Dsnyder15 wrote:

About the schedule.  No one ever remembers the strength of schedule...only the record.  If they are way way better and have a worse record because they scheduled the Bataan Death March OOC schedule...no one will remember.  IMO...next year they should schedule exactly as they did this year.  Hold off increasing the strength of schedule until you have an experienced core group.  All home or neutral games again would be perfect.

The A10 requires teams to schedule a certain way. This is to maximize the power rating for the entire conference, with a goal of earning at large bids, as well as NIT bids for the second tier teams. Teams that are expected to finish near the bottom, are requested to schedule lightly. The Dukes 9-4 ooc record is exactly what the league wants to see from a team not expected to compete for the top half of the league. A good ooc record helps minimize the hit contending teams take when they play an also ran. Mid level teams are expected to play a more challenging schedule, but not one that will bury them. The top teams are expected to challenge themselves enough to end up with a power rating that will give them a shot at an at large bid. The overall goal is for every team to post a winning record ooc. As the Dukes should be a middle of the pack team next year, they will have to boost the schedule. You certainly don't want to overdo it, but the schedule should be tough enough that if we reverse our league record (11-7), we should be in play for an NIT bid. We got an NIT bid in 2009 with a 21-12 record. We should have a schedule similar to what we had that year. Our schedule made sense this year, but you can't compete in the A10 playing that type of schedule every year, and the league would strongly frown on it, and make their displeasure known. As a usual multi bid league, the A10 operates with a different mindset than a one bid league like the MAC does.

3/04/2018 10:54 pm  #12

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

The A10 requires teams to schedule a certain way. This is to maximize the power rating for the entire conference, with a goal of earning at large bids, as well as NIT bids for the second tier teams. Teams that are expected to finish near the bottom, are requested to schedule lightly. The Dukes 9-4 ooc record is exactly what the league wants to see from a team not expected to compete for the top half of the league. A good ooc record helps minimize the hit contending teams take when they play an also ran. Mid level teams are expected to play a more challenging schedule, but not one that will bury them. The top teams are expected to challenge themselves enough to end up with a power rating that will give them a shot at an at large bid. The overall goal is for every team to post a winning record ooc. As the Dukes should be a middle of the pack team next year, they will have to boost the schedule. You certainly don't want to overdo it, but the schedule should be tough enough that if we reverse our league record (11-7), we should be in play for an NIT bid. We got an NIT bid in 2009 with a 21-12 record. We should have a schedule similar to what we had that year. Our schedule made sense this year, but you can't compete in the A10 playing that type of schedule every year, and the league would strongly frown on it, and make their displeasure known. As a usual multi bid league, the A10 operates with a different mindset than a one bid league like the MAC does.

Thanks...that was useful.  It is interesting that the A10 is proactive in managing the league profile....although I don't think there is a huge difference in individual team mindset with MAC teams.  Both are trying to bring in higher profile teams for competitive and attendance reasons.  For years, Charlie Coles at Miami played the "Bataan Death March" OOC schedule.  It prepared them for league play but winning the league tournament was the only way they could get into post-season.  The losing caught up with them and the program went into the tank...one of the leagues best teams has been a doormat for the last decade.

KD for years chased P5 teams on neutral courts while looking for the opportunity for a big win.  To do that he played in 2 in-season tournaments a year.  Additionally he always scheduled 2 P5 "pay" games.  Some recent teams as Villanova, Creighton, Gonzaga, Penn State, Miami FL, S. Carolina, Arkansas and others.  Home and away against teams like MTSU, Marshall, Detroit, Cleveland State and VCU.  Some fans complained that Akron scheduled to many cupcakes. Akron played 4 non-tournament OOC games at home last year.  1 D2 team (they do not count in RPI so it is a good way to schedule a tune-up), Coppin, Marshall and American.  What people fail to realize is that for every neutral court tournament and "pay" game you have to schedule a "cupcake" to take their place on the home schedule.  There is no way anybody but a cupcake will play at Akron without getting a return game.  Scheduling at a Mid-Major is not easy. The only other option would be to schedule a more imbalanced OOC schedule ....play and additional game on the road.  That would have been my choice....but I guess they hated giving up a home game and taking another expected loss.

Akron could get home and away games with the Horizon league....but even that was difficult.  Any league above the Horizon was impossible.  A10 teams can probably schedule MAC teams on a home and away contract....but I would expect they can get a 2 for 1 schedule for many MAC teams.  I would try and schedule the best MAC teams on home and away contract.  Is there a league that is better than the MAC that will agree to home and away with DU??  Looking at things now it does not appear to be.  I think you will find KD seeking P5 teams on neutral courts in a few years....it is a great way to get a big upset.

I am not suggesting that DU schedule from the bottom 25 teams next year.  But it would be nice to pony up and get a all home or neutral court schedule again....with the exception of Pitt and RMU.  By definition....that would mean a lot of cupcakes as that is the only group that will play games at the Polumbo without a return game.  You could get a few home games and make the return game the following year.  Getting 20+ wins next year will make recruiting far easier and I am pretty sure that will be the goal.

Another thing I think you will see....DU will play in a in-season tournament somewhere in Texas (even if it is a lower tournament).  KD and staff have great recruiting connections there and will use that to leverage recruiting opportunities.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/05/2018 12:01 am)

3/05/2018 12:11 am  #13

Dsnyder15 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Thanks...that was useful.  It is interesting that the A10 is proactive in managing the league profile....although I don't think there is a huge difference in individual team mindset with MAC teams.  Both are trying to bring in higher profile teams for competitive and attendance reasons.  For years, Charlie Coles at Miami played the "Bataan Death March" OOC schedule.  It prepared them for league play but winning the league tournament was the only way they could get into post-season.  The losing caught up with them and the program went into the tank...one of the leagues best teams has been a doormat for the last decade.

KD for years chased P5 teams on neutral courts while looking for the opportunity for a big win.  To do that he played in 2 in-season tournaments a year.  Additionally he always scheduled 2 P5 "pay" games.  Some recent teams as Villanova, Creighton, Gonzaga, Penn State, Miami FL, S. Carolina, Arkansas and others.  Home and away against teams like MTSU, Marshall, Detroit, Cleveland State and VCU.  Some fans complained that Akron scheduled to many cupcakes. Akron played 4 non-tournament OOC games at home last year.  1 D2 team (they do not count in RPI so it is a good way to schedule a tune-up), Coppin, Marshall and American.  What people fail to realize is that for every neutral court tournament and "pay" game you have to schedule a "cupcake" to take their place on the home schedule.  There in no way anybody but a cupcake will play at Akron without getting a return game.  Scheduling at a Mid-Major is not easy. The only other option would be to schedule a more imbalanced OOC schedule ....play and additional game on the road.  That would have been my choice....but I guess they hated giving up a home game and taking another expected loss.

Akron could get home and away games with the Horizon league....but even that was difficult.  Any league above the Horizon was impossible.  A10 teams can probably schedule MAC teams on a home and away contract....but I would expect they can get a 2 for 1 schedule for most MAC teams.  I would try and schedule the best MAC teams on home and away contract.  Is there a league that is better than the MAC that will agree to home and away with DU??  Looking at things now it does not appear to be.  I think you will find KD seeking P5 teams on neutral courts in a few years....it is a great way to get a big upset.

I am not suggesting that DU schedule from the bottom 25 teams next year.  But it would be nice to pony up and get a all home or neutral court schedule again....with the exception of Pitt and RMU.  By definition....that would mean a lot of cupcakes as that is the only group that will play games at the Polumbo without a return game.  You could get a few home games and make the return game the following year.  Getting 20+ wins next year will make recruiting far easier and I am pretty sure that will be the goal.

Another thing I think you will see....DU will play in a in-season tournament somewhere in Texas (even if it is a lower tournament).  KD and staff have great recruiting connections there and will use that to leverage recruiting opportunities.

The home and homes A10 teams can get depends on the school. Right now, URI can get teams from pretty much any league outside the P5. For lesser teams, it's the MAC, MAAC, CAA. The Horizon was another one, but they've slipped so badly. If they want to go further away, I'm sure the OVC, CUSA etc. would do home and away with A10 teams. The better teams might get an AAC team on the schedule. When the Dukes play P5 schools, they tend to go big (Duke, UK), which makes sense. The players love it, and it doesn't hurt your power rating at all. No real point in playing Wake, although we played at Georgia Tech a couple of years ago, and gave them a good game. The key when playing low majors is to avoid their dregs. Try to play the favorites in those leagues, as those teams usually end up with a decent power rating, and you should still beat them at home. You don't schedule Longwood out of the Big South, with their +300 RPI, you schedule Asheville, or Radford, whose RPIs in the 120s won't hurt you.

Last edited by duq81 (3/05/2018 12:13 am)

3/05/2018 3:04 am  #14

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

KD for years chased P5 teams on neutral courts while looking for the opportunity for a big win.  To do that he played in 2 in-season tournaments a year.  Additionally he always scheduled 2 P5 "pay" games.  Some recent teams as Villanova, Creighton, Gonzaga, Penn State, Miami FL, S. Carolina, Arkansas and others.  Home and away against teams like MTSU, Marshall, Detroit, Cleveland State and VCU.  Some fans complained that Akron scheduled to many cupcakes. Akron played 4 non-tournament OOC games at home last year.  1 D2 team (they do not count in RPI so it is a good way to schedule a tune-up), Coppin, Marshall and American.  What people fail to realize is that for every neutral court tournament and "pay" game you have to schedule a "cupcake" to take their place on the home schedule.  There in no way anybody but a cupcake will play at Akron without getting a return game.  Scheduling at a Mid-Major is not easy. The only other option would be to schedule a more imbalanced OOC schedule ....play and additional game on the road.  That would have been my choice....but I guess they hated giving up a home game and taking another expected loss.

Akron could get home and away games with the Horizon league....but even that was difficult.  Any league above the Horizon was impossible.  A10 teams can probably schedule MAC teams on a home and away contract....but I would expect they can get a 2 for 1 schedule for most MAC teams.  I would try and schedule the best MAC teams on home and away contract.  Is there a league that is better than the MAC that will agree to home and away with DU??  Looking at things now it does not appear to be.  I think you will find KD seeking P5 teams on neutral courts in a few years....it is a great way to get a big upset.

The home and homes A10 teams can get depends on the school. Right now, URI can get teams from pretty much any league outside the P5. For lesser teams, it's the MAC, MAAC, CAA. The Horizon was another one, but they've slipped so badly. If they want to go further away, I'm sure the OVC, CUSA etc. would do home and away with A10 teams. The better teams might get an AAC team on the schedule. When the Dukes play P5 schools, they tend to go big (Duke, UK), which makes sense. The players love it, and it doesn't hurt your power rating at all. No real point in playing Wake, although we played at Georgia Tech a couple of years ago, and gave them a good game. The key when playing low majors is to avoid their dregs. Try to play the favorites in those leagues, as those teams usually end up with a decent power rating, and you should still beat them at home. You don't schedule Longwood out of the Big South, with their +300 RPI, you schedule Asheville, or Radford, whose RPIs in the 120s won't hurt you.

Radford just made the dance!!!  ;-)

The A10 is rated the 10th best conference this year....the MAC #11.   The Horizon has fallen off...but so has some of the others you listed.  DU should try and get contracts with Ohio, Kent and Buffalo. Good teams that are an easy road trip for alumni.  They are the safe bets in the MAC.  KD will not play Akron (at least I don't think so) ...it is moot now because they have a few years before they get back to where they were.

I agree....buy games you should go big.  But the goal is to get some quality teams to play at DU.  The A10 does not have the reputation right now to help.  Hopefully that will change in a few years.  The conference should be improving even if they don't have a dominant team like some past years.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/06/2018 11:37 am)

3/05/2018 7:47 am  #15

I see no reason not to play Duke, Kentucky, Nova and Mich St next year.  Sell out for $.  Get doors blown off.  The SOS would look nice beside those 97-62 losses.  
Seems the people most upset about this year, are the ones who havent been around long.  Not saying your opinion isnt valuable, or I am old school 1950s style, but I think those of us for have seen some rotten teams over the last 3 decades, would acknowledge that this team was different.  They didnt roll over and play dead during a losing streak.  They took URI, in their building, to the final few seconds.  
We all knew the roster was thin, and not loaded with talent.  It was nice to find a piece for the future in EW.  If he gets a little bigger in weight room, he could be a force.
As far as the coach, he had me at hello, and nothing has changed.  You cant ask a guy driving a Honda civic to play Porsche offense and defense.  It will happen, but Rome wasnt built in a day.  You dont take a team stuck in defeat and turn them into 1992 Duke overnight, esp with few half-way decent players on the roster.
It's like novocaine. Just give it time, always works.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/05/2018 7:47 am)

3/05/2018 9:51 am  #16

townsonkid wrote:

I see no reason not to play Duke, Kentucky, Nova and Mich St next year.  Sell out for $.  Get doors blown off.  The SOS would look nice beside those 97-62 losses.  
Seems the people most upset about this year, are the ones who havent been around long.  Not saying your opinion isnt valuable, or I am old school 1950s style, but I think those of us for have seen some rotten teams over the last 3 decades, would acknowledge that this team was different.  They didnt roll over and play dead during a losing streak.  They took URI, in their building, to the final few seconds.  
We all knew the roster was thin, and not loaded with talent.  It was nice to find a piece for the future in EW.  If he gets a little bigger in weight room, he could be a force.
As far as the coach, he had me at hello, and nothing has changed.  You cant ask a guy driving a Honda civic to play Porsche offense and defense.  It will happen, but Rome wasnt built in a day.  You dont take a team stuck in defeat and turn them into 1992 Duke overnight, esp with few half-way decent players on the roster.

No one is dumb enough to want to schedule all of those teams, but there is nothing wrong with putting one game like that on the schedule. If your goal is at least the NIT, you have to play some good teams.

3/05/2018 11:01 am  #17

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

No one is dumb enough to want to schedule all of those teams, but there is nothing wrong with putting one game like that on the schedule. If your goal is at least the NIT, you have to play some good teams.

One year, put them all on there, take a beating but make a million bucks.  I dont think the goal this year was NIT.  I think it was to win some games, avoid a season like pitt had.

Seriously, I dont have a problem with the OOC schedule this year, what idiot schedules difficult teams when you have half a roster, and one proven player(who is a soph)?
Going forward, put Marshall and/or a MAC team on there instead of some of that garbage.  Maybe Penn St.  Pitt wont be awful if they can hire a decent coach, or try Western Kentucky, they seem to always be good.  Then it becomes somewhat decent.  Maybe in 2-3 years if things work out, try Ohio St, or get WVU back.  Someone you could play at PPG and darn near fill the place.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/05/2018 11:02 am)

3/05/2018 11:04 am  #18

townsonkid wrote:

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

One year, put them all on there, take a beating but make a million bucks.  I dont think the goal this year was NIT.  I think it was to win some games, avoid a season like pitt had.

Seriously, I dont have a problem with the OOC schedule this year, what idiot schedules difficult teams when you have half a roster, and one proven player(who is a soph)?
Going forward, put Marshall and/or a MAC team on there instead of some of that garbage.  Maybe Penn St.  Pitt wont be awful if they can hire a decent coach, or try Western Kentucky, they seem to always be good.  Then it becomes somewhat decent.  Maybe in 2-3 years if things work out, try Ohio St, or get WVU back.  Someone you could play at PPG and darn near fill the place.

Lol Mike Lewis wasn’t even a proven player. He played for a 3-15 conference play team last year. We had no proven players honestly. You’re 100% right

3/05/2018 11:25 am  #19

Not much more to say... I think what was difficult is the goal is to improve as the season progresses. Because the first half of the season was better than expected the second half was more difficult as we didn’t improve. I know there are many reasons for this but as someone said... the facts are the facts. Overall, we were competing all year and I loved that !!!

3/05/2018 11:31 am  #20

townsonkid wrote:

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I hope I am not burstug any bubbles....but OSU and WVU both have better reputations as basketball schools and have greater resources available.  They play in the same geographic foootprint so they may be recruiting some of the same players.  I highly doubt either will give DU a home and away contract.  If they lose to DU that would give recruits the image that DU is on the same level and they never want that to happen....even if is is true.  DU will have to go a bit farther I think.  NC, NCSt, Georgia, SC, Miami Fl and the like.  It would be great to have a tornament like Akron/Kent/Youngstown/Cleveland St has every year.  They play a "Cure for Cancer" tournament every year and play the 2 games at one of the schools and rotate opponents.  DU, RMU, Pitt and PSU would do just fine for something like that.  KD put that together at Akron...maybe something like that can be done at DU.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2017/10/northeast_ohio_coaches_vs_cancer_basketball_doublheader.html

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/05/2018 11:32 am)

3/05/2018 12:31 pm  #21

Dsnyder15 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I hope I am not burstug any bubbles....but OSU and WVU both have better reputations as basketball schools and have greater resources available.  They play in the same geographic foootprint so they may be recruiting some of the same players.  I highly doubt either will give DU a home and away contract.  If they lose to DU that would give recruits the image that DU is on the same level and they never want that to happen....even if is is true.  DU will have to go a bit farther I think.  NC, NCSt, Georgia, SC, Miami Fl and the like.  It would be great to have a tornament like Akron/Kent/Youngstown/Cleveland St has every year.  They play a "Cure for Cancer" tournament every year and play the 2 games at one of the schools and rotate opponents.  DU, RMU, Pitt and PSU would do just fine for something like that.  KD put that together at Akron...maybe something like that can be done at DU.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2017/10/northeast_ohio_coaches_vs_cancer_basketball_doublheader.html

Duquesne will never give up the Pitt game for a tournament. Ohio State will never come here, but we've done home and home with WVU many times. WVU considers Pittsburgh to be part of their territory. Ohio State doesn't. Columbus is too far for that.

3/05/2018 12:35 pm  #22

townsonkid wrote:

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

No one was shooting for the NIT this year. The schedule was perfect this year, but if you expect the team to be better next year, then the NIT should be a realistic goal, and you have to schedule with that in mind.

3/05/2018 3:42 pm  #23

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Duquesne will never give up the Pitt game for a tournament. Ohio State will never come here, but we've done home and home with WVU many times. WVU considers Pittsburgh to be part of their territory. Ohio State doesn't. Columbus is too far for that.

I looked it up...you are correct.  WVU makes regular stops at DU.  With Pitt, WVU and others as possible home opponents...DU can put together a schedule that can match or better Gonzaga.  I can see why DU was an attractive position for KD.  With a arena upgrade, DU can really make some noise on the national level.  It is a good time to be a Dukes fan.  :-)

One thing in your favor having KD...most other coaches would have used DU as a stepping stone for better programs.  Get the team competitive and move up in a few years.  With KD...I think this is his last stop as a coach and I think he wants to build a legacy.  Not just turning around DU but making them a nationally recognized power on the level of Gonzaga.  I hope you follow through with the arena upgrades.  Make Polumbo an intimate and difficult place to play and have PPG for marquee games.  The set-up works in so many ways.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/06/2018 11:39 am)

Board footera