Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2018 10:38 am  #1

Next Year

We are on the right path and I haven't looked at it, but no matter the weak OOC schedule, how many coaches won 16 in year one??!!  Anyway, on to more important matters now that the season is over - next year - and its never too early to start a thread about it. LOL  It will be interesting to see the final roster composition next year when you look at 5 transfers, 5 frosh and 5 returning scholarship players, all with a 13 player scholie limit.  This doesn't even take into account the Brandon Stone rumors that we are one of his final 4 and he is looking to play college ball next year.  I just get the feeling KD is not done yet with molding this roster to his liking.  It will be interesting to see how it all flushes out.  Thoughts?

3/09/2018 11:19 am  #2

Re: Next Year

I leave the roster up to the people who know how to make that work. What I do think is that we will have more good athletes next year than maybe ever on the team, scholarship and non. Depth should not be a big issue as it certainly was this year along with other deficiencies, like a true point guard, which became more and more apparent during the season. Not a dig at Rene. He did his absolute best. Time will tell but I'm really looking forward to  next year and the year after!

3/09/2018 11:57 am  #3

I expect the team to be better next year. He'll have all of his pieces, and will be able to implement his system. However, it's year three where we will be able to get a good idea of what the program's ceiling will be under KD. Smith will be the only senior of note next year, so we'll pretty much be returning our entire team from year two. There will be no excuses of lack of depth or experience. I have no doubt that we'll win, the question is, at what level. I can see three scenarios. First is that we win at the Ron Everhart level. Considering the hype around the transfers and recruits coming next year, this would be a mild disappointment, and might indicate that KD might not have the chops to compete at the very top level of the A10, and that the players he brought in weren't as good as we hoped. Second would be to become something like Bona is this year. This is what I actually expect, and I would be very happy with this type of result. It would show that KD understands what it takes to compete in this league, and that he had the ability to get the kind of players needed to do so. Third would be to reach the URI level. This would be beyond expectations, and would probably indicate a return to the level of play we had under Red Manning. Needless to say, even Ritters and Rayrich would have to swallow their pride and be happy with this.

3/09/2018 12:55 pm  #4

Love to see those two happy about anything!!

3/09/2018 4:19 pm  #5

Next year will be the 10th anniversary of the Dukes' improbable run to the A10 championship game in 2009. Duquesne has won just one A10 tourney game since then and that was the play-in round game against a really bad St. Louis team three years ago. In fact, the Dukes have won a grand total of 5 A10 tourney games in the last 23 seasons, with three of those five wins coming in the 2009 run. Talk about a long-term trend that really needs to change next year. 

3/09/2018 4:20 pm  #6

president wrote:

Love to see those two happy about anything!!

Good luck.

3/10/2018 1:21 pm  #7

Great article by Alan Saunders...

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/10/dukes-learn-lessons-lay-foundation-but-leave-wanting-more/

I agree with President... we need a true point guard to make it all work.

Last edited by coffee (3/10/2018 1:26 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/10/2018 10:30 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

I expect the team to be better next year. He'll have all of his pieces, and will be able to implement his system. However, it's year three where we will be able to get a good idea of what the program's ceiling will be under KD. Smith will be the only senior of note next year, so we'll pretty much be returning our entire team from year two. There will be no excuses of lack of depth or experience. I have no doubt that we'll win, the question is, at what level. I can see three scenarios. First is that we win at the Ron Everhart level. Considering the hype around the transfers and recruits coming next year, this would be a mild disappointment, and might indicate that KD might not have the chops to compete at the very top level of the A10, and that the players he brought in weren't as good as we hoped. Second would be to become something like Bona is this year. This is what I actually expect, and I would be very happy with this type of result. It would show that KD understands what it takes to compete in this league, and that he had the ability to get the kind of players needed to do so. Third would be to reach the URI level. This would be beyond expectations, and would probably indicate a return to the level of play we had under Red Manning. Needless to say, even Ritters and Rayrich would have to swallow their pride and be happy with this.

The only thing I'm swallowing is bacon and eggs for breakfast. Oh, and don't expect much next year as the transition continues. The pitiful OOC schedule made this team look better than it really is.

3/11/2018 6:50 pm  #9

Another good article.  I didn't know that the transfers didn't practice with the team... is that true?

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/11/despite-the-finish-hope-surrounds-duquesne-program/

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/11/2018 9:28 pm  #10

coffee wrote:

Another good article. I didn't know that the transfers didn't practice with the team... is that true?

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/11/despite-the-finish-hope-surrounds-duquesne-program/

They practiced with the team. The particulars were mentioned on this board before. Apparently, early on the transfers played as something of a unit in scrimmages, and were outplaying the starters. So KD changed the format so there was not an "us vs. them" thing going on. They certainly didn't have separate practice sessions.

So anyway, what went on this year says that the team should be an upgrade next year before we even consider what the freshman class brings to the table.

3/12/2018 9:41 am  #11

In the article above:
"Duquesne fans will want to closely monitor any offseason reports regarding Williams Jr. and Verhoeven. The former established himself as one of the two or three best rookies in the league. The latter battled inconsistency yet showed glimpses of becoming an elite rim protector—he led the A-10 in blocks as a freshman."

I hope that the statement he wrote is a positive one and that he doesn't know something we don't!!!!

3/12/2018 2:43 pm  #12

FAM wrote:

In the article above:
"Duquesne fans will want to closely monitor any offseason reports regarding Williams Jr. and Verhoeven. The former established himself as one of the two or three best rookies in the league. The latter battled inconsistency yet showed glimpses of becoming an elite rim protector—he led the A-10 in blocks as a freshman."

I hope that the statement he wrote is a positive one and that he doesn't know something we don't!!!!

Ditto that!!!!

3/13/2018 10:35 am  #13

I wouldnt be shocked to see TV transfer back out west.  I would be shocked and upset to see EW transfer.  He has to see the future, and his major, major role in it here.

3/13/2018 10:53 am  #14

townsonkid wrote:

I wouldnt be shocked to see TV transfer back out west.  I would be shocked and upset to see EW transfer.  He has to see the future, and his major, major role in it here.

Some California kids get homesick and return, Bill Clarke didn't and was a four year starter and meaningful player.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/13/2018 11:12 am  #15

Phildog wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Some California kids get homesick and return, Bill Clarke didn't and was a four year starter and meaningful player.

Bill Clark played his "high school" ball in the East; at Oak Hill Academy and Worcester Academy. I never looked at Clark as a California guy; just a player who would go anywhere to compete.  Nothing surprises me with players today regarding transfers - so many factors influence decisions - right or wrong ones.

3/13/2018 11:47 am  #16

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Bill Clark played his "high school" ball in the East; at Oak Hill Academy and Worcester Academy. I never looked at Clark as a California guy; just a player who would go anywhere to compete.  Nothing surprises me with players today regarding transfers - so many factors influence decisions - right or wrong ones.

My mistake I guess, although his bio’s list Redondo Beach, Calif as his home town, I should have known he was really from Mouth of Wilson, Va and Worcester, Mass where he prepped.

I did read about his sister and mother living in Redondo Beach, California and Bill talking about his father. Didn’t know that doesn’t qualify one as a California Guy.

Last edited by Phildog (3/13/2018 11:48 am)

A diehard fan since 1961

3/13/2018 12:31 pm  #17

Stop trying to get rid of my freshmen, folks. I want them to stay, win, and go to the NCAA Tournament.

3/13/2018 12:40 pm  #18

They could transfer but they should consider carefully their situation at DU.
-A good academic school.
-A good conference. Competitive but not too competitive like the P5 schools.
-So far, plenty of minutes and more to come if they improve.
-A coach willing to develop them into complete ballplayers.  
-In short, a better chance at DU to go pro at some level.  
Make a mistake in a transfer and  you sit and go no where.

3/13/2018 2:26 pm  #19

Williams JR can play at P5 easily. 6’6 3 man who can score and defend. Top 10 defensive rating in the conference this year. I don’t think he will leave unless paid honestly

3/13/2018 2:42 pm  #20

I guess we'll know for sure in time, but the article seems to be trolling for negative attention and/or negative information about our two best freshmen. Has there been any indication that we need to worry about transfers? Is this is general statement that could be made about every talented freshman? Absent any kind of information that would indicate cause for concern, I think its pretty irresponsible reportage.

Williams was recruited by and played for Duquesne. Tydus had multiple other offers but accepted a schollie and played for the Dukes. By all indications, they played and practiced hard and were good teammates (absent any apparent reports or indications to the contrary that I haven't seen or read). Coach has been positive about their contributions and their ability to grow in the future.

Again, I don't see why there is even a question here or a conversation worth having. If I'm proven wrong, then so be it. But if these two fine and talented young men remain as Dukes (as I hope they will) I would have to question "talk radio speculation" being given the same weight as fact in a printed article.

3/13/2018 3:51 pm  #21

rosceaux wrote:

I guess we'll know for sure in time, but the article seems to be trolling for negative attention and/or negative information about our two best freshmen. Has there been any indication that we need to worry about transfers? Is this is general statement that could be made about every talented freshman? Absent any kind of information that would indicate cause for concern, I think its pretty irresponsible reportage.

Williams was recruited by and played for Duquesne. Tydus had multiple other offers but accepted a schollie and played for the Dukes. By all indications, they played and practiced hard and were good teammates (absent any apparent reports or indications to the contrary that I haven't seen or read). Coach has been positive about their contributions and their ability to grow in the future.

Again, I don't see why there is even a question here or a conversation worth having. If I'm proven wrong, then so be it. But if these two fine and talented young men remain as Dukes (as I hope they will) I would have to question "talk radio speculation" being given the same weight as fact in a printed article.

I'm with you. I think some of these people have lost their minds. I know about the transfers and the incoming recruits, but if these two kids transfer it means 4 of 5 starters leave. How the hell do you build a program with this kind of turnover?

3/13/2018 8:55 pm  #22

Guys sitting out did double up the score on our starters and that was without the bigger Hughes. Speaking of transfers I just watched the Carmody kid play. I'm predicting he doesn't stay at Notre Dame. Doesn't look like an ACC player to me.

3/13/2018 10:35 pm  #23

Boy there are some Chicken Littles on this board. They act like they want guys to leave.

Board footera