Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2018 10:48 pm  #1

Coaches’ League

So, in a season that was supposedly a down year, the A10 gets three teams to the big dance! We all know that you have to have very good players to make the NCAA tourney! That is unquestioned. However, the coaching for the dancers was pretty outstanding. McKillop is a master. His teams take care of the ball while running their stuff consistently. Hurley adjusted to his talent by playing with four guards. Schmidt develops players and is ultra-aggressive. Throw in Mooney, Martelli and Ford and you get six coaches who will be prepared, run good offenses and will try to control the tempo of the games by changing defenses.  These six make pretty good in-game decisions that make their teams better.

The guys at Mason, VCU, Dayton, UMass and GW are still learning the league as is our coach. We shall see if they can play the chess match with the six above. I don’t think the coaches at LaSalle or Fordham will ever get there.

We have gone through a February swoon for the past few seasons. A10 coaches are good with their scouts and they are prepared for what teams run. They adjust! Our previous coach never made changes.

KD is a very smart coach. I do not think that we have seen his full array yet because his talent this year had limitations, although they always played hard. The second St. Louis game gives great hope because the Dukes handled everything that was thrown at them and counter-punched nicely and well. I am looking forward to our increased talent and seeing how KD dictates the tempo of the games.

I think the A10 is a Coaches’ League more so than the Power Conferences. Would appreciate your comments. We finally have a Coach who can match up. Can’t wait for the 18-19 season to get here!

3/12/2018 8:47 am  #2

Re: Coaches’ League

HookShot wrote:

So, in a season that was supposedly a down year, the A10 gets three teams to the big dance! We all know that you have to have very good players to make the NCAA tourney! That is unquestioned. However, the coaching for the dancers was pretty outstanding. McKillop is a master. His teams take care of the ball while running their stuff consistently. Hurley adjusted to his talent by playing with four guards. Schmidt develops players and is ultra-aggressive. Throw in Mooney, Martelli and Ford and you get six coaches who will be prepared, run good offenses and will try to control the tempo of the games by changing defenses. These six make pretty good in-game decisions that make their teams better.

The guys at Mason, VCU, Dayton, UMass and GW are still learning the league as is our coach. We shall see if they can play the chess match with the six above. I don’t think the coaches at LaSalle or Fordham will ever get there.

We have gone through a February swoon for the past few seasons. A10 coaches are good with their scouts and they are prepared for what teams run. They adjust! Our previous coach never made changes.

KD is a very smart coach. I do not think that we have seen his full array yet because his talent this year had limitations, although they always played hard. The second St. Louis game gives great hope because the Dukes handled everything that was thrown at them and counter-punched nicely and well. I am looking forward to our increased talent and seeing how KD dictates the tempo of the games.

I think the A10 is a Coaches’ League more so than the Power Conferences. Would appreciate your comments. We finally have a Coach who can match up. Can’t wait for the 18-19 season to get here!

Agree that KD could not run the offense that he wanted to this season. Limited frontcourt and point guard made it difficult to run an inside outside offense. No one to pass to inside and no one to consistently make that pass. Let's see what happens next season when both of these problems should be greatly alleviated.

3/12/2018 1:19 pm  #3

president wrote:

. Limited frontcourt and point guard made it difficult to run an inside outside offense. No one to pass to inside and no one to consistently make that pass. Let's see what happens next season when both of these problems should be greatly alleviated.

​Yeah it was not hard to see that the Dukes caught a few A 10 teams napping early in the schedule (Fordham, GW and Dayton), but once their scouts and coaches figured out that our big men were no real threat down low, they could play out front, harassing the guards and disrupting the play, knowing that they weren't going to get burned by passes behind them.  Next year should be a whole different story.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/12/2018 5:03 pm  #4

Agreed,  our two main scorers were taken out of the equation.   The one game when Tydus stepped,up as an inside threat, the Dukes took the contest.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/28/2018 8:13 pm  #5

3/29/2018 2:29 pm  #6

Dsnyder15 wrote:

This a good listen. DU is in good hands.

http://onthebenchpodcast.com/changing-times-with-duquesne-assistant-terry-weigand/

Thanks for the link, Dsnyder15.

5/18/2018 9:14 am  #7

Not sure if this has been posted before:

'http://davidleemorganjr.com/former-university-of-akron-coach-keith-dambrot-letting-his-heart-lead-the-way/

I did not want KD to leave UofA and did not think he would the first time DU came calling.  The second time....I felt he probably would leave.  The timing was right, the money good and DU seemed to get committed to bball.  I also think he needed a new challenge and DU was close to his heart.  KD is a good man and a good coach.  Akron is better because he coached there and I think he will be benefit DU as well.  I am excited for the future of DU bball...it is very bright.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (5/18/2018 9:21 am)

5/18/2018 10:02 am  #8

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Not sure if this has been posted before:

'http://davidleemorganjr.com/former-university-of-akron-coach-keith-dambrot-letting-his-heart-lead-the-way/

I did not want KD to leave UofA and did not think he would the first time DU came calling.  The second time....I felt he probably would leave.  The timing was right, the money good and DU seemed to get committed to bball.  I also think he needed a new challenge and DU was close to his heart.  KD is a good man and a good coach.  Akron is better because he coached there and I think he will be benefit DU as well.  I am excited for the future of DU bball...it is very bright.

I had not seen that before.  Thanks.

Board footera