Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2013 8:19 pm  #1

Berenato OUT

Lock up SMS!!!

4/01/2013 9:18 pm  #2

Re: Berenato OUT

The women's team is the only reason I paid attention to DU athletics at all this year.  SMS signed an extension last year.  

If she wants to leave, she is gone.   The women's program will be back to being mediocre at best.  Just more great news for the joy that Duquesne athletics brings us. 

Last edited by duqkurt (4/01/2013 9:33 pm)

4/01/2013 9:29 pm  #3

While it would be a setback, at least on paper, her top assistant was touted as assistant coach of the year, and a bevy of her former players have entered the coaching ranks.

4/01/2013 9:39 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

While it would be a setback, at least on paper, her top assistant was touted as assistant coach of the year, and a bevy of her former players have entered the coaching ranks.

While I would hate to see Suzie leave, we have a huge ace in the hole in Darcie Vincent. In fact, If Pitt has any brains, she will be on their short list. She's a rising star, and a great coach.

4/01/2013 9:57 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

While I would hate to see Suzie leave, we have a huge ace in the hole in Darcie Vincent. In fact, If Pitt has any brains, she will be on their short list. She's a rising star, and a great coach.

Duq81, I believe that it was you that last year when this topic came up said Pitt would never hire a "Nitter."  I believe that was you.  

Why did your opinion change?   If it was not you, I apologize.  

People also said that Pitt wouldn't eat Agnus's salary.   If SMS couldn't get us to a tournament, I have no faith that the current idiot could hire someone that could.  Maybe if she goes, he should just give the job to Steve Opperman. 

Last edited by duqkurt (4/01/2013 9:57 pm)

4/01/2013 10:29 pm  #6

duqkurt wrote:

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Duq81, I believe that it was you that last year when this topic came up said Pitt would never hire a "Nitter."  I believe that was you.  

Why did your opinion change?   If it was not you, I apologize.  

People also said that Pitt wouldn't eat Agnus's salary.   If SMS couldn't get us to a tournament, I have no faith that the current idiot could hire someone that could.  Maybe if she goes, he should just give the job to Steve Opperman. 

I said it. They haven't hired her yet. There will be some Pitt folks who won't want her because of that. However, the team has become so bad, that they may have to swallow their pride and take a run at her. If she leaves, I can't imagine that Vincent wouldn't get the job. She's almost as much of a no brainer as suzie was.

4/02/2013 4:21 am  #7

I also wonder if she would want to go there - PSU - Duquesne - neither place that loves the armpitts.

4/02/2013 5:38 am  #8

FAM wrote:

I also wonder if she would want to go there - PSU - Duquesne - neither place that loves the armpitts.

Money talks! I figured at this point in her life, Suzie wouldn't be interested in uprooting her family again, but Pitt is the one move that would give her more money, and a job in a higher profile league without having to move.

4/02/2013 7:29 am  #9

Let's say you're a professor, administrator, even a janitor at Duquesne and Pitt offered you a job at 5 times your salary, would you go? What makes you think Suzie is any different.

4/02/2013 8:17 am  #10

Another year, same posts.  This board recycles thoughts like the power center.

SMS can have a $5M/year contract.  If she wants to leave, and someone asks her, she is gone.  Hopefully, the dumb ass AD put some kind of buy out into her contract, so if those scumbags at Oakland poach her, we can at least get some cash.

I dont think pitt will offer 5x what she is making now.  I think pitt needs to realize the athletic dept is in shambles.  Shell leaves, Dixon gets extended for doing nothing, football program is about to get its brains beat in weekly, and the hoops team easy walks to NCAA bids are over.
If the want to spend a ton of money on a coach who has a few WNIT wins on her college coaching resume, let them.  Their program is awful.  Geno Auremema couldnt win with that team.

I dont think SMS is dumb enough to take that job.

4/02/2013 9:34 am  #11

townsonkid wrote:

SMS can have a $5M/year contract.  If she wants to leave, and someone asks her, she is gone.  Hopefully, the dumb ass AD put some kind of buy out into her contract, so if those scumbags at Oakland poach her, we can at least get some cash.

I dont think pitt will offer 5x what she is making now.  I think pitt needs to realize the athletic dept is in shambles.  Shell leaves, Dixon gets extended for doing nothing, football program is about to get its brains beat in weekly, and the hoops team easy walks to NCAA bids are over.
If the want to spend a ton of money on a coach who has a few WNIT wins on her college coaching resume, let them.  Their program is awful.  Geno Auremema couldnt win with that team.

$uzie is definitely not dumb, and $uzie loves a challenge.

4/02/2013 9:46 am  #12

townsonkid I like the way you think!

4/02/2013 11:35 am  #13

LaurenB wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

$uzie is definitely not dumb, and $uzie loves a challenge.

Never meant to mean she is dumb.  And losing by 50 every other night for 3+ years is not a challenge.  A reasonable challenge is getting DU to the NCAA and/or win the A10.

Last edited by townsonkid (4/02/2013 11:37 am)

4/02/2013 1:55 pm  #14

I really hope she stays.   I don't think she will, but I hope she does. I understand money and everyone likes "more money" as opposed to the money you are making.   But there is a matter of starting what you finish.   She has never gotten us over the hump and I know she is disappointed in that.  She is our only chance of ever seeing an NCAA tournament appearance.
It is sort of like players who transfer because a younger player has replaced them and they are not getting any playing time.    Rather than fight for your job back and try to get better you leave.    There is something to be said about finishing what you start.    

I just will be very disappointed if she leaves, especially for Pitt, and we have to be constantly reminded of her.      And for what it is worth, I would rather Dan Burt be her successor than Darcie Vincent.   Just my opinion.

Last edited by duqkurt (4/02/2013 1:56 pm)

4/02/2013 2:37 pm  #15

No such thing as loyalty in today's college ba$ketball.

4/02/2013 3:04 pm  #16

from May, 2012...

Duquesne women's basketball coach Suzie McConnell-Serio received a contract extension on Monday that will keep her at the school through the 2017-18 season.

The coming year will be McConnell-Serio's sixth with the Dukes. Her previous contract, signed in August 2009, expired at the end of 2013-14.

“I'm very excited,” she said. “Duquesne is where I want to be and I'm very happy here. I appreciate the fact that they continue to invest in us and want us here.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/home/1789043-85/mcconnell-serio-duquesne-season-women-basketball-contract-suzie-dukes-received#ixzz2PL1gJoEF 

4/02/2013 3:07 pm  #17

LaurenB wrote:

No such thing as loyalty in today's college ba$ketball.

There is no loyalty on either side in any sport. Ask RE, ask James Harrison. It's hard to be mad at coaches, or players for getting the best deal possible, because you will be kicked to the curb in a NY minute, if your value is percieved to have dropped. It's dog eat dog.

4/02/2013 3:51 pm  #18

It is a high profile, coveted job with the facilities and move to the ACC.

4/02/2013 4:44 pm  #19

High profile?  Maybe in the 412 area code.

they do have a nice arena.

4/02/2013 4:50 pm  #20

townsonkid wrote:

from May, 2012...

Duquesne women's basketball coach Suzie McConnell-Serio received a contract extension on Monday that will keep her at the school through the 2017-18 season.

The coming year will be McConnell-Serio's sixth with the Dukes. Her previous contract, signed in August 2009, expired at the end of 2013-14.

“I'm very excited,” she said. “Duquesne is where I want to be and I'm very happy here. I appreciate the fact that they continue to invest in us and want us here.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/home/1789043-85/mcconnell-serio-duquesne-season-women-basketball-contract-suzie-dukes-received#ixzz2PL1gJoEF 

I didn't realize Suzie just signed an extention.

Agnus was getting paid 425K. No idea what Suzie makes but I suspect Pitt would be able to double her salary.

http://www.utimes.pitt.edu/?p=21673

4/02/2013 5:13 pm  #21

From Panther Lair, perhaps duq81 was right all along....

Re: Berenato's replacement    Reply

Certainly not Susie - I can just hear it now - Penn State had to give Pitt a BB coach!  As for Darcie, she was offered an interview before Agnus came to Pitt. She turned Pitt down - I had talked with her at Cal and she did not want to coach at Pitt (a big city school).  She is from Fairmont WV and Duquesne grad and likes the home town schools. She  admitted that even Duquesne was a city school and did not like being in Pittsburgh. 

4/03/2013 2:18 pm  #22

Trib had an article this morning on Bernato's firing and reached out for a comment from SMS.   She declined comment in regards to the coaching position.   

I guess I am hoping against hope for an "I like it at Duquesne and I am going to want to stay here."   quote from SMS.    But I guess she is listening to them. 

4/03/2013 2:55 pm  #23

It isn't uncommon for other coaches not to comment on a colleagues firing.  Though I am not saying she won't entertain an interview, don't read too much into her not commenting as meaning anything significant.

4/03/2013 3:37 pm  #24

FAM wrote:

It isn't uncommon for other coaches not to comment on a colleagues firing.  Though I am not saying she won't entertain an interview, don't read too much into her not commenting as meaning anything significant.

Exactly. It's not in her best interest to comment on this.

4/03/2013 3:52 pm  #25

SMS would more than double her income if she took the Pitt job. The drive to work is the same. The conference is an upgrade. The A10 gets no respect from the NCAA for at large bids, so unless Duquesne wins the tournament or the league she doesn't get to go. Her visibility would be greater in the ACC. Some of her assistants have Pitt connections. Pitt will hire her if they think she will get the job done for them. Her PSU experience is long ago. I would be surprised if she wouldn't seriously consider the position. The fact that Pitt is close by would not stop them from interviewing her just as we had no hesitation in interviewing Danny Nee when he was at RMU.

Board footera