Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2018 8:07 am  #1

Is it next season yet?

This team is going to be amazing. Just hope everyone hoops hard over the summer and everyone stays healthy. I believe this will be a team that goes deep in the NCAAT.

Better still, the young women on this team excel in the classroom and in life.

I keep saying I'm proud of this program. That's because I don't have better words to express my feelings.

I will say this thought: I pledged to increase my donation to DU WBB by 20% if they hit 20 wins. It will actually be a bit higher.

Go Dukes!

3/24/2018 8:22 am  #2

Re: Is it next season yet?

I agree on all points, Duque!  The team is well led, the ladies are amazing personalities, and I am sure there will be a lot of hard work during the off-season. The biggest reason for a better team is the return to action of Aho, Staffelino, and Sole, the younger. Two of the three should be starters meaning the Dukes will have extraordinary depth. The only missing part to become “the” team in the A10 for the foreseeable future is a true 6’5” big. Will be a long wait for next season.

3/24/2018 4:45 pm  #3

Can see Laia possibly replacing Paige in the starting line up - Can't see any of the other 4 being displaced - Chassidy & Julijana provide the bulk of the scoring -  Connor is the most aggressive defensive player - Kadri Ann made the All-Defensive Team.

Here is a "concept" I 'd like to bring out - AM 100% Positive the staff does NOT need ideas from me -  

With a starting 5 of Chassidy, JV, Connor, Laia, and Kadri Ann

A "shocks troop" that comes in and plays like 3 minutes at a time in the first and third quarters - NOT a 10-40 as we had under Ron --  "Shock Troop" could consist of Libby, Amanda, Nina, Halle and Helmi (although THAT could be adjusted - all five of these would be second year players - Could give them some time playing as a unit - with four starters departing after next year)  The five of them can of course be inserted with others etc.  Others could be in the group in a given game -  Might even help to have them establish an identity of their own. DON'T have to use them in all four quarters as a unit.

AND coach would still need to find time for Enika (team's leading rebounder) Paige (who WAS a STARTER this year) AND Angelina (who did contribute both years she played)  Further down the bench are Annie-Pier and the Elliot Sisters (am presuming the younger one will be red shirted.)

HOPEFULLY ATTENDANCE GOES UP - Has to Start with the Students There were times with under 10 students in the section -- Would be GREAT to make the atmosphere better at Palumbo on Game Days (especially for recruits etc)  I did see the younger Elliot sister at a few games but she was already signed and could have been there supporting her sister  There is a 5'11 player at Peters TWP - reportedly drawing interest from Pitt and DU among others -- IF Coach Burt wants her -  Improved atmosphere will help - hope the team avoids "senior-itis" plays up to their capabilities and if that is the case maybe they will let us join them for the NCAA Selection Show at the Rivertown Inn again!!

(only 6 1/2 months or so until "Dunkin Donuts Day" on a Saturday in October ) where we can see the new guys as well.

3/24/2018 6:53 pm  #4

Attendance -  there is a core 300 that are there every game.  Come hell or high water.  I wouldn’t hold my breathe asking for more students to come.  The crew students who attend are tremendous.  I would rather see 10 of them than the students who are bribed to attend men games.  They sit at the very top of the bleachers.  On their phones the whole game and leave in mass at halftime after whatever was used to bribe them is given out.  I wouldn’t bribe students to come. 

Some how figure out a way to reward students that come gane after game.  An attendance system perhaps where students are given credit for attending a whole game.  Attend 10 full men’s and women’s game, get a free  trip to A10 away game the next year. 

Starters - it is really early to discuss this but I wouldn’t be surprised if Nina takes over the point and Chas moves to two.  Juca off the bench.   Unless she can step in up on the defensive end.   If what I heard from practice is true, Laia will takeover the starting role with Paige coming off the bench.   

There are no freshman to look to except Kristen Elliot’s sister that had no D1 offers except Duquesne.  Not a knock against her, but I don’t look for immediate help from her. 

If this team had a Dev Workman like player (I know that is asking a lot because Dev was special) they would be top 25.   Our weakness this year will be our weakness next year.   But they will have significant depth at most positions.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/24/2018 9:22 pm)

3/24/2018 8:06 pm  #5

Megan Jahrling is a very large detriment to the enthusiasm of the Red and Blue Crew members that attended boys and girls games.  I spoke to members of the Crew.  It’s unbelievable what she did to tamper the enthusiasm of the students that attended games and sat in the end zone.  Don’t believe me ?  Have members of the RBC post their thoughts.
Dave Harper has to remove her.  I’m sure most of you have no idea what went on this year concerning her involvement.  She even discouraged a fomer great DU player from becoming involved with thanking the pep band and RBC members that showed up for games.  SHE HAS TO GO

3/24/2018 8:35 pm  #6

THANKS for the input -

To say Dev was "special" is kind of an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!   How many "starters" are named "Sixth Man of the Year in their leagues???"  I know she took over from Chassidy around mid season - But I recall games where she had like 15-17 REBOUNDS in addition to a good deal of points.

When I was at the Bluff - used to go to the football games ONLY BECAUSE SOME OF MY BUDDIES IN THE BUSINESS SCHOOL WERE ON THE TEAM --  KNOW times have changed but get the idea - Would be nice if some of Connor's friends/classmates that she's met over three years would say to themselves "Hey I'll go check her out on the court"  Ditto for Chassidy and Juca and Kadri Ann and so on   With so many in the dorms - SHOULD be a heck of a lot easier getting THEM to come to the games than it should be to get a girl's grade school team - BUT HEY I APPRECIATE ANY ONE THAT ATTENDS!!!!

Can someone provide some enlightenment about how that one individual can have such a negative impact on the Red & Blue Crew??

3/24/2018 8:47 pm  #7

Hey Al.    Ask members of the RBC.   Have you talked to any of them ?  Do you have a son or daughter that sits in the end zone that is a student of DU ?     I DO.

3/24/2018 8:53 pm  #8

Somerset24 wrote:

Megan Jahrling is a very large detriment to the enthusiasm of the Red and Blue Crew members that attended boys and girls games.  I spoke to members of the Crew.  It’s unbelievable what she did to tamper the enthusiasm of the students that attended games and sat in the end zone.  Don’t believe me ?  Have members of the RBC post their thoughts.
Dave Harper has to remove her.  I’m sure most of you have no idea what went on this year concerning her involvement.  She even discouraged a fomer great DU player from becoming involved with thanking the pep band and RBC members that showed up for games.  SHE HAS TO GO

Who is she?   And what is she doing?    I honestly have never heard her name before.   If you are going to call get out explain what she is doing.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/24/2018 8:54 pm)

3/24/2018 9:08 pm  #9

Okay I looked her up on the website and I can honestly say I have never seen her at a women’s basketball game.   Not that I would know if she was there or not but I have seen other coaches and recognized other staff members.

But she is in charge of marketing and game day it appears, I believe.   And ever since Nicole Imgono left DU, the whole game day experience has regressed.  It always seems like they are always just winging it.   

Thankfully the Pep Band and 10 crew members cheer at women’s games, it it would be absolutely lifeless at times.   I think it’s funny that the cheerleaders don’t start cheers but follow along with the crew and pep band. 

While you have me started, it is time for a updated look for the cheerleaders.  Those huge high school bows in their hair got and white socks have go to go.  It’s 2018 not 1956. 

I know they practice hard and try but if the pep band didn’t  they would just stand there all game.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/24/2018 9:15 pm)

3/25/2018 4:03 pm  #10

Everyone who posted made good contributions.

The bottom line is, the Dukes SHOULD be better offensively (not sure if defensively) largely due to Laia Sole in the line up.  Because of her 6'2 size; her post, face-up and very high basketball I.Q. (I saw her play in the FIBA Tournament last summer), teams will not be able to sag on Kadri-Ann.

I don't see Nina starting but (if she is healthy), she will be valuable coming off the bench as with Angela and maybe Halle- so Duquesne will be more skilled in the post and much deeper.  I am not sure what progress Helmi and Eniko will make in the off-season; both of them need to work on their offensive game and in Eniko's case; greater consistency defensively. 

'Hook Shot' made the most insightful comment about the need for a 6'5 post.  While I'm not sure that will happen down the road, there is a possibility we might see more athleticism up front- which (in my opinion), has been one of the two stumbling blocks in preventing Duquesne from winning the A10 and getting into the NCAA.  We have skilled, intelligent players, but we give up too many offensive rebounds and we don't 'power-up' our shots in the paint.

3/25/2018 4:56 pm  #11

I’ve said before that they never replaced the contributions of Dev Workman. They need someone to break down defenses, get to the hoop on penetration, rebound, and in general show more toughness. The team will add some parts; but if they lack the killer instinct to put teams away; they will still have trouble breaking through. This team has been more of a finesse team; but in my opinion needs to show more aggressiveness and scrappiness on the court in order to win a Championship and get the automatic bid!
To be fair to the team, I have a pretty good handle on the roster that played this season, but I don't know much about the players who sat out; so perhaps one or more of these players will add what it takes to put the team over the hump, and into the NCAA next year. 

Last edited by levon1975 (3/26/2018 11:03 am)

3/25/2018 9:10 pm  #12

duqkurt wrote:

Somerset24 wrote:

Megan Jahrling is a very large detriment to the enthusiasm of the Red and Blue Crew members that attended boys and girls games. I spoke to members of the Crew. It’s unbelievable what she did to tamper the enthusiasm of the students that attended games and sat in the end zone. Don’t believe me ? Have members of the RBC post their thoughts.
Dave Harper has to remove her. I’m sure most of you have no idea what went on this year concerning her involvement. She even discouraged a fomer great DU player from becoming involved with thanking the pep band and RBC members that showed up for games. SHE HAS TO GO

Who is she? And what is she doing? I honestly have never heard her name before. If you are going to call get out explain what she is doing.

She is the assistant athletic director in charge of marketing, and she is the adviser in charge of Red and Blue Crew as a student organization

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/26/2018 11:51 am  #13

Agree with Levon 1975 about the need to recruit players like Dev Workman.  I will go back to the days when Duquesne had Vanessa Abel and Jocelyn Floyd in the backcourt; that's when the Dukes could pressure their opponents on the perimeter and make them uncomfortable.  In her senior season, Floyd led the nation in steals.  They also had Wumi in the post (undersized, but very physical and skilled).  Of course, Duquesne never made it to the NCAA's in those years, which is why I consider Dan a superior coach.

Duquesne is a successful finesse team with vulnerabilities against more physical/athletic teams.  Dev Workman came from the JC ranks where I believe there are greater recruiting opportunities than finding similar players from HS.  If Duquesne does not recruit players with great length, then Levon is absolutely correct- find more Dev Workman's.

3/26/2018 12:27 pm  #14

Agree that there is a real need for more athleticism, especially on the wings. The Marissa girl at Peters Township would be a nice 2019 guard recruit at nearly 6’ tall. Excellent both offensively and defensively. Has a Dukes offer but is a national recruit.

3/26/2018 12:35 pm  #15

Can you tell me Marissa's last name - the girl from Peters Township and what is her recruiting status?  Did she make a verbal?

3/26/2018 1:13 pm  #16

sperlman wrote:

Can you tell me Marissa's last name - the girl from Peters Township and what is her recruiting status?  Did she make a verbal?

Makenna Marisa. Presently a junior. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-basketball/2017/12/14/Peters-Township-basketball-Makenna-Marisa-Bert-Kendal-Winchester-Thurston-Ayanna-Townsend/stories/201712150006

doesn't look like she has committed anywhere.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/26/2018 6:36 pm  #17

This Price girl from Canevin looks really good. Gorretti puttin a whoopin on them but she's got close to 30. She's a jr. and scored her 1,ooo point in this game. Not sure but I think she might be Kevin's daughter. 

3/27/2018 11:13 am  #18

Correct, she is Kevin Price's daughter, and she looks to be really good.  Going for 31 against that stacked team is impressive.  Hopefully Dan has a good relationship with the player and the family. 

3/29/2018 11:04 pm  #19

I'd like to add Yacine Diop, who apparently has asked for a release from Pitt so she could grad transfer. Of course, I imagine that Suzie would rather die than let her come here. 

3/30/2018 4:19 pm  #20

Where did you see this about Diop?   Suzie doesn’t even want to play us, so she will never allow that. 

Suzie has absolutely nothing coming back next year if this is true.   And I suspect it to be true.  Diop is good.  Why stay in that mess?

3/30/2018 4:35 pm  #21

Somerset24 wrote:

Megan Jahrling is a very large detriment to the enthusiasm of the Red and Blue Crew members that attended boys and girls games. I spoke to members of the Crew. It’s unbelievable what she did to tamper the enthusiasm of the students that attended games and sat in the end zone. Don’t believe me ? Have members of the RBC post their thoughts.
Dave Harper has to remove her. I’m sure most of you have no idea what went on this year concerning her involvement. She even discouraged a fomer great DU player from becoming involved with thanking the pep band and RBC members that showed up for games. SHE HAS TO GO

question:what made you bring this up for you? maybe this needs its own thread on the main page to get more eyeballs, but this came out of left field and im extremely curious

3/30/2018 7:15 pm  #22

Agreed with above.  Comment was made without any follow up to what is occurring.

3/31/2018 12:10 am  #23

duqkurt wrote:

Where did you see this about Diop? Suzie doesn’t even want to play us, so she will never allow that.

Suzie has absolutely nothing coming back next year if this is true. And I suspect it to be true. Diop is good. Why stay in that mess?

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/posts/2237927/

3/31/2018 11:52 am  #24

duq81 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Where did you see this about Diop? Suzie doesn’t even want to play us, so she will never allow that.

Suzie has absolutely nothing coming back next year if this is true. And I suspect it to be true. Diop is good. Why stay in that mess?

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/posts/2237927/

For what it’s worth that poster really has it out for SMS.   He has been posting negative stuff about her all season long.  And the stuff about the coaches was never defended in the thread.

I don’t doubt Diop would leave but that guy has it out for her.

5/28/2018 11:29 am  #25

Totally agree. We have discussed this before.  I have not asked Dan about his philosophy (and indeed there may be a legit answer), but I don't see how players can gain confidence and ultimately play more consistently without being allowed to make a mistake or two- and stay in the line-up.

I saw this happen with Amadea in her freshman year.  In retrospect, I wish Dan had redshirted her because she played such limited minutes.

If what you say is true (that Helmi is leaving), then the Dukes become weaker in the post (in 2019-2020) with Lass gone and no other bigs signed.

Board footera