Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2018 1:02 pm  #2

Re: Why Catholic Colleges Excel at Basketball

GREAT article!  Time for Duquesne to rejoin the spiritual movement! 

Happy Easter to all!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/31/2018 3:00 pm  #3

Thanks for sharing and I agree with you Coffee!Hahaha  Seriously, though it is  interesting article Phoenix, I don't buy it and  the cynic in me( perhaps of  Spiritan origin 😁)  suspects that the fact or   perception of  Catholic school success in basketball is probably related to money more than  than spiritualism or immigrants. I likewise doubt that Duke Kentucky North Carolina Alabama or Clemson success has  much to do with Southern Baptist theology. When most Catholic schools made the short sighted financial mistake to drop FBS level football, it left nothing else but basketball to commit and compare success athletically to. Add the fact that there are virtually no Power 5 Catholic schools because Power 5 is defined by FBS football, it  is my opinion that
this  enhances the success of the Catholic schools when it occurs relative to a Power 5 when nobody really notices or cares. Anyway ,my 2 cents and I could be wrong and Thanks for the article and posts guys PS I am rooting for Loyola! Haha Jack

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (3/31/2018 3:15 pm)

3/31/2018 4:36 pm  #4

I disagree with the Hon. J. McVay in that the current impetus may be money but the tradition began with that need to foster the catholic immigrant over a century ago who had no place else to go.   When that social justice aspect of the church found that the black experience should be considered and, as the article said, when the original immigrants were able to move away from a city oriented life the African American experience in the city continued the catholic college's educational goal along with those immigrants.  It was the history of these schools that continued into the monetary impetus today if anything.

And I agree that the southern baptist religion had little to do with Alabama, Kentucky et al.  It was their recognition that the African Americans that the catholic and smaller schools fostered on their teams were beating the pants off their all white squads that led them to see the dollar signs that a successful program would bring.  Much more dollar oriented than the catholic history in this regard.

Anyway, that's my opinion, respectfully. 

This is 3 posts for me in the last week - time to go back to lurking before I get into trouble. 

3/31/2018 5:35 pm  #5

Hahaha I love it and I actually agree with you about Duquesne being light years ahead of social justice issues
,immigrants  and sports integration with Chuck Cooper and way before him the great Ray Kemp the first African American Steeler and Duquesne football player! I know better on that issue, I just believe that the decision to drop football by so many Catholic schools was a huge  money based mistake and because Catholic schools are not Power 5 and only play basketball it is easier to commit to 1 sport and it   is much more noticeable  than Power 5 success that nobody singles out as its expected. I  just don't  believe any   sports success  has anything at all to do with theology Catholic or Baptist  or immigrants  .Our spiritual commitment at Duquesne has never wavered since 1977 but I suspect our financial has!I  am again wholeheartedly in agreement with you on Catholic schools generally on  social justice immigrants and traditions  but don't
see that linked to undefined basketball success if truly compared to Duke Kentucky and so many other Power 5  teams that  I am not a fan of. BtW on integration of college sports Michigan State fans argue their 66 team did more than any other college sports  program in history including Notre Dame who I am a fan of! THANKS for the response and it is interesting  insightfull and thought provoking my friend Mulder ! Respectfully Jack

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (3/31/2018 9:49 pm)

Board footera