Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2018 8:19 am  #1

Exploiting market inefficiencies

While out to dinner the other night with my friend , Mr. Anon Amiss , the discussion turned to DU hoops. I posed to him my theory that coach D. may be in a position capitalize on said inefficiencies. Anon agreed the potential is there.

For example , the growing tendency in the hoops world to play 3 and sometimes 4 guards at a time could DU play a "Big" lineup ?? If the "Bigs" in this recruiting class possess the offensive skills ( passing , some offensive game whether shooing or inside power ) and foot movement skills to play effective "D" ( very important given coaches emphasis on the defensive end of the floor  ) can he pound some of these smaller teams on the offensive end by going inside and frustrate them on the defensive end with our length ?? The roster of guards we possess is certainly a capable group when compared to the majority of our competition. 

This is somewhat similar in theory ( we will dictate to you how the game is going to be played ) to the approach Davidson takes. They say we are gonna play 5 guys who can pass and shoot without regard to position - you defend us if you can and we will make it work on "D".

Also, with word that Sincere may be coming aboard is he exploiting another inefficiency - A D2 player ( usually local ) who may have been overlooked for some reason coming in as a "Preferred Walk on" with financial assistance to make this possible. We don't tie up a schollie and the player gets to go D1 - if he pans out and contributes we get the best of both worlds. If he is overmatched no big deal.

Just a thought.

4/09/2018 9:58 pm  #2

Re: Exploiting market inefficiencies

I had a similar thought last fall. He'll run three guard sets with taller, in demand guards ala Eric Williams Jr, but he could be grabbing stay at home centers other coaches seem to me moving away from.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/keith-dambrots-think-hes/

Board footera