Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2018 10:41 am  #1

T Smith is leaving

Tough loss for DU.

From Sarah Spencer via twitter:
Can confirm that Tarin Smith has requested his release from Duquesne, per source.

He will be a grad transfer.

Last edited by townsonkid (4/09/2018 10:51 am)

4/09/2018 10:45 am  #2

Re: T Smith is leaving

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/04/09/tarin-smith-leaving-duquesne/

Source.

I knew he'd be tough to keep with the new talent coming in and him being a grad. I thought from all the talk he really loved it here, and that still may very well be true. I'm grateful for what he brought to the table this season and how much he developed from his junior year.

Now we're back down to presumably 1 over the scholarhsip limit (assuming that new OH PG took a scholarship. we're speculating on the other board that he may be a preferred walk-on. i think i agree, but i also am just speculating)

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/09/2018 10:48 am  #3

i was hoping that the new recruit would end roster changes, but not so fast my friend!
Heck, KD might have another one coming in any day now....

4/09/2018 11:01 am  #4

Sad to see tarin go, but glad he will be a fellow Duquesne alumni. He improved so much this year. However, it doesn't really hurt our depth or expectations for next year. Frankie, Craig, and mike Lewis all play the two guard.

4/09/2018 11:13 am  #5

Man hate to see this happen.  Could be "parental influence" or maybe other influence?  I wish him well, in any event it looks like KD has reloaded.  

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/04/09/tarin-smith-leaving-duquesne/

Last edited by CLK (4/09/2018 11:15 am)

4/09/2018 11:55 am  #6

Tarin's ability to get in the lane and force defenses to collapse made him more valuable than the advanced numbers may suggest. He made great strides from beyond the arc and really found a rhythm towards the back end of the OOC slate.

As we see time and time again; 22 year olds who are contributors to their team, no matter the league are in high demand at this time of year and he was a P5 recruit before transferring here. 

4/09/2018 11:58 am  #7

I didn’t expect this but he was a Ferry guy and this will be his third school.

He know’s better than any of us what the incoming transfers bring since he has played against them for a season, hope the grass is greener for him elsewhere.

Let’s hope the KD recruits are four year players so we can build a real program.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/09/2018 12:03 pm  #8

Per PSN
Smith is a from New Jersey. 
He played for Hurley Sr in high school.
Guess is he lands at UConn to play for Hurley Jr.

4/09/2018 12:09 pm  #9

Econ69 wrote:

Per PSN

Wonder why he didn’t transfer to URI instead of Duquesne when Hurley was there?

A diehard fan since 1961

4/09/2018 12:55 pm  #10

Wish Tarin well. Didn't see this coming but was always a possibility with the grad transfer rule. I am not worried about any negative effect this could have. He would have played the same role next year but most likely with less minutes..

4/09/2018 1:56 pm  #11

I believe both TV and TS saw some handwriting on the wall here. Unfortunate when players leave the program but the kids want to play and very often will go where they think they will get the best opportunity to do so. I really don't blame either of them for their decision. Seriously doubt that either player would have played as much next year as this year..   Part of the game. We have plenty of ammo in the gun here. Should be our best season in a very long time coming up! Really looking forward to it!

4/09/2018 2:19 pm  #12

When you rebuild, usually it takes a couple years, KD rebuilt that roster in one year.  
Next year there will be a couple guys not happy.  Bball games are only 40 minutes with 5 guys on the court.  
So my advice to all the players, practice your butts off and make your minutes count in practice and early games, that can determine how much you play in 2018 and beyond.  And whatever you do, dont piss off the coaches.  :-)

4/09/2018 2:27 pm  #13

Tydus was homesick. Several GOOD sources told me that.

Although not expected, Smith's choice should not be a surprise. May have a chance to start somewhere, or get more minutes. Good for him.

4/09/2018 2:39 pm  #14

TV being homesick makes more sense than style of play being his reasoning.
Wishing him the best!

4/09/2018 3:27 pm  #15

president wrote:

TV being homesick makes more sense than style of play being his reasoning.
Wishing him the best!

The "style of play" quote was a throwaway - it didn't make sense. Homesickness? Maybe. Most likely, TV left because of the abundance of tall high school recruits and the probability of his losing playing time.

He has lots of potential. If he focuses on strength training and shooting, Tydus will do good things for the school to which he transfers.  

4/09/2018 3:32 pm  #16

Phildog wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

Per PSN

Roster situation may not have been right. You really don't want to take transfers unless you really know they're going to play.

Fifth year seniors are all going to be looking around with the current rule. May happen with some of the guys who sat out this year when they finish their junior years. It's why you pretty much should never redshirt a freshman anymore, unless he has virtually no chance of playing.

4/09/2018 3:56 pm  #17

Tarin's statement was really well written. Giving specific thanks to KD is good for Tarin & the program. I hope he goes someplace where he can get meaningful minutes on a successful team & leave with a powerful graduate degree. Nobody should be surprised by this with the grad transfer rule in place.

I know that on paper it looked like Tarin would get less run next season but, I was really excited to have a fifth year guy that just won an A-10 honor bring a bit of senior magic, leadership, & continuity to this reinvented roster. All of that inexperienced size is going to need direction from more than just the coaching staff.

Watching him get truly healthy & come to understand the Dambrot way while regaining his confidence was really pleasant. There are at least 6 guys currently thought to be on the roster I would have preferred to lose over him because I place a high value on the known commodity & senior leadership.

I know this is a crappy thing to write but I remain very sceptical that both transfers that had uninspiring freshman years at Akron will become very good A-10 players.

At the end of the season I was really hoping that somehow that TS, MLII, EW, & TV would all return even if it meant losing Krivacevic/Kratholm, a transfer, or one of the freshman bigs. I also knew there was no way that would happen. You can't make players stay.

Does this leave us without a senior next year? Is Krivacevic a senior? Probably no sense in speculating too hard on this until August.

4/09/2018 6:03 pm  #18

Coach is pretty close to having a team of all his own recruits.

4/09/2018 6:56 pm  #19

WashPaRick wrote:

Hey Rick,

The kind way to run off last coach’s players , recruiting better players.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/09/2018 7:15 pm  #20

Phildog wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Hey Rick,

The kind way to run off last coach’s players , recruiting better players.

I hear ya.

4/09/2018 9:10 pm  #21

phil95 wrote:

I know this is a crappy thing to write but I remain very sceptical that both transfers that had uninspiring freshman years at Akron will become very good A-10 players.

TDM will never start for DU.  Think of him as high energy off the bench.  He is fast, quick and can shoot.  There will be nights when he gets very little minutes because he can be exposed due to his size and other nights when he just goes off because his shot is on.  He plays with confidence.  You will like this kid.  Hughes time at Akron was not indicative of what to expect.  He was hurt and his play was affected by it.  You should also remember that KD likes a deep bench.  He played a 11 man rotation at Akron.  Guys like Hughes may have redshirted at other schools but played 5-10 minutes a game for KD.  The goal was to develop and be ready.  It is one reason KD was able to sustain the winning tradition....guys were ready to step up.  Hughes has talent...we shall see just how much very soon.  I would not be surprised to see him do very well.  DU will definitely have an inside game next year.

Sorry to see Tarin Smith leave.  He is the kind of kid you want in your program.  Kudos to Ferry for bringing him in.  I can't blame him for wanting more and I am wishing him success on the court and off.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (4/10/2018 7:13 am)

4/10/2018 4:24 am  #22

Phildog wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

Per PSN

​You now have the Kenya Hunter\Nebraska\UConn factor too. But roster wise the UConn roster isn't really a logical fit for another PG. Three returning guards each 6-0 to 6-2 who played 30 mpg last year, including their two best players.  But all recruits have been released, including a PG.  So new coach; new approaches.

4/10/2018 5:08 am  #23

TDM will be a junior with two years practicing in Dambrot's system. Kinda hard to rule him out as a starter.

I like the two freshman PGs, but that's a tough position to break in and start for a guy who's going to want to win 20 games next year. If Brandon or Sincerely grab it and run, great, but I think TDM can get the job done.

4/10/2018 6:33 am  #24

ElDuque wrote:

TDM will be a junior with two years practicing in Dambrot's system. Kinda hard to rule him out as a starter.

I like the two freshman PGs, but that's a tough position to break in and start for a guy who's going to want to win 20 games next year. If Brandon or Sincerely grab it and run, great, but I think TDM can get the job done.

TDM will be a soph. this coming season.

4/10/2018 6:57 am  #25

ElDuque wrote:

I kinda get where Dsnyder is coming from. TDM is very small. Remember, you were the biggest critic of Derrick Colter on the board, mainly because of the limitations due to his size. TDM is a good bit smaller than Colter. A 5'8" player really has to be great to excel at this level. There are going to be games where his minutes will have to be limited because an elite pg will be abusing him. I guess time will tell.

Board footera