Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2018 12:29 pm  #1

Hurley hires Kenya Hunter

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/983395378430185472

You have to be an older fan to recognize Kenya "Big Game" Hunter as a former Duquesne PG.

4/09/2018 12:40 pm  #2

Re: Hurley hires Kenya Hunter

Interesting.  Smith was not thinking of leaving, then we read in Pgh Sports now that don't be surprised if lands at UConn.  Anyone else see a connection.  No matter it's all good.

https://twitter.com/TheUConnBlog/status/983397514035499008

4/09/2018 1:00 pm  #3

I think Kenya did spend some time at Nebraska; but not sure if he was there when Tarin played. 
I’m sure his playing time next year would have decreased, but he would have been a veteran coming off the bench as he was this season.  I wish him the best of luck and good to see that he will graduate next month with a Duquesne degree.

4/09/2018 1:02 pm  #4

Only makes me wonder what would have happened if Amodio had gone after Hurley before URI did. Probably would have turned him down based on what we know.

4/09/2018 1:05 pm  #5

levon1975 wrote:

I think Kenya did spend some time at Nebraska; but not sure if he was there when Tarin played.
I’m sure his playing time next year would have decreased, but he would have been a veteran coming off the bench as he was this season. I wish him the best of luck and good to see that he will graduate next month with a Duquesne degree.

He has been at Nebraska for the last 5 years and recruited Tarin there.

4/09/2018 1:38 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

I’m sure his playing time next year would have decreased, but he would have been a veteran coming off the bench as he was this season. I wish him the best of luck and good to see that he will graduate next month with a Duquesne degree.

He has been at Nebraska for the last 5 years and recruited Tarin there.

Maybe he recruited him again.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/09/2018 1:57 pm  #7

Good for Kenya.  He has really built up his resume as a top assistant.  He has worked at Duquesne, Xavier, Georgetown, Nebraska, and now Uconn.  I saw on Twitter that the Nebraska fans were not happy about him leaving.  I am surprised he hasn't tried his hand at being a head coach for a smaller program yet, but maybe he thinks that his better option is to be a top assistant.  

On a side note, how do we feel about Dambrot's assistants?  I know that is sort of a dumb question, but they seem to be an extremely tight nit group.  They all played under Dambrot I believe, and all of them have stuck with them for a long time.  That tells me one of two things.

1.  They love working for Keith and can't see any reason to move on when they are having success.  

2.  They are comfortable and don't want to risk moving to a different job.  

I would sort of like to see us hire a big name assistant, but I think we have a good thing going.  

Last edited by Simms (4/09/2018 1:58 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

4/09/2018 2:25 pm  #8

I think one of Coach Dambrot's assistants was being considered for another position recently. Would like to see them here 2-3 years, at least, to make the Dambrotcess work.

4/09/2018 3:46 pm  #9

ElDuque wrote:

Only makes me wonder what would have happened if Amodio had gone after Hurley before URI did. Probably would have turned him down based on what we know.

Huley's wife was gagging at the thought of moving to Pittsburgh last month, so I doubt we could have gotten him.

4/09/2018 8:13 pm  #10

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Huley's wife was gagging at the thought of moving to Pittsburgh last month, so I doubt we could have gotten him.

That was the one thing I felt sorry for Ferry about, his family stayed in NY and left him on his on in Pittsburgh. Maybe in State College also.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/10/2018 12:45 pm  #11

ElDuque wrote:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/983395378430185472

You have to be an older fan to recognize Kenya "Big Game" Hunter as a former Duquesne PG.

He worked a summer job for JO Stright's company in Etna. used to come in to the 7/11 where my cousin managed.  Saw his Dukes hat and they started talking. Nice guy

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera