Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2018 8:47 pm  #1

Game Day Experience

Okay, once again, because it is quiet and B-ball season is far away, I thought I would start another topic that might elicit some interesting responses.  

Let's assume that we are evaluating the entire athletic dept, with all sports that interest you as a focal point.  What are the main areas of concern for each of you?  What do you think should be done to improve things?  Do you see any of these things happening?  I know Harper has a tough task so perhaps laying out a vision could help some of us reach out.  

First of all, I was unable to attend a game last season.  I live in Altoona and unfortunately, I coach men's tennis for PSU Altoona during the winter season.  Most matches are on the weekends so it can be tough to get out.  That said, here are some areas of improvement I would like to see.

1.  Red and Blue Crew rebranding.  Already discussed in thread, but student participation and school spirit needs to be fixed.  
2.  Better video quality during the season.  I know this has improved, but I don't want the sound to go out during a single game unless there are weather related reasons.  I also recognize that perhaps this is due to old technology, but I don't buy that.  
3.  Perhaps try a football game at Highmark Stadium, or consider redoing Rooney.  It deseves better.  If the Fball program continues to play teams like Hawaii and Umass in the nonconfernce, our football stadium should be less crappy.  It would help Soccer and other sports as well.  
4.  More alumni events.  How are they orgainized?  For instance, I haven't had tickets, but would love to receive news on events.  Anyone know where I can?  I would love more Meet and Greets with the coaches.  
5.  More publicity for the women's b-ball team. They are our best program and deserve a lot.  Get Dan Burt out there in the public as he is pretty much liked by everyone.  
6.  Only play Huge games at PPG Paints.  

Those are just a few off the top of my head.  Lots of room for improvement.  I'm curious for gameday experience reviews on here as I haven't been to a game in a year, although I am probably buying season tickets this upcoming season.    

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/09/2018 9:40 am  #2

Re: Game Day Experience

Advertising.  Invest in some. 

5/10/2018 3:08 pm  #3

Well I hope they can do something with the game day experience.  It is just woefully inadequate.  Dom and the Pep Band do great but the atmosphere is so sterile. 

I watched a couple of RMU games online from Palumbo.   They managed to use an in game host at Palumbo.   They also had graphics on the scoreboard.  Imagine that.   And the were only temporary tenants.

I don’t think it would be hard to expand Dom’s role to in game host.  All it would require is a hand held camera and a microphone.  I think Dom would be great in an expanded role. 

How hard is it to program the scoreboard to say “Let’s Go Dukes!” “dee-fense” or “3”?

And the promotion of women’s basketball was a joke this season.   Not willing to pay for a home WNIT games.  Little if any game day promotions.  Here are two very easy promtions that Pitt does.   Staff Friends and Family Day.   And Education Day.  Give 4,000 tickets away to a day weekday non conference day in Nov or Dec.  Make it a field trip for school kids.   It just requires a little effort.   Reach out now to a bunch of schools to get them to come. 

The lack of promotion of women’s basketball could cost us a coach.  Just sayin. 

The advertising has to change from the coach reading off that damn script that has been used for 20 years.  And advertise someplace beyond 970/ESPN.   

How about a slogan?   “Duquesne is Pittsburgh’s team.”   Try some branding to appeal to the city.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/10/2018 3:14 pm)

5/10/2018 3:24 pm  #4

You have me going here.  So I’ll continue. 

I’m not disparaging the cheerleaders.  They do their lifts and flips well.  But DU could use a new cheerleading coach.  They have got to update their look from the 1950’s.  Please get rid of those huge hair bows.    And actually do something beyond reacting to the pep band.   Like lead cheers.

I know many will roll their eyes at my suggestions.  But times change.  Update the look.   I’m not talking about making them the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.  But moving into 2000 would help.

The court can be updated as well.  The court could be stained to have the Pittsburgh skyline.   That would help with branding Duquesne as one of Pittsburgh’s teams.  Many teams put the city skyline on their courts. Xavier does.

5/10/2018 3:44 pm  #5

During the Dukes and Donuts preseason event, I would use Coach Dambrot and Coach Burt more.   While the men are practicing. I would put Ray Goss and Coach Dambrot on the PA.  They can discuss the players on the court.  Introduce them to fans while they are playing. And then have Alex and Coach Burt do the same when women are on the court.  Ray and Alex can do a little play by play while talking with the coaches.

After regular season games I would have an immediate post game interview with the respective Coach that is shown on the scoreboard for the fans in the arena.   I know that can be tricky after a loss.  It would be at the coaches discretion.   Also interview a player.  This would be for the fans that attend.  Then you can post the interview on social media.  Like the Penguins and Pirates do right after every win.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/10/2018 3:45 pm)

5/10/2018 3:55 pm  #6

Finally I would stop immediately any student promotion that gives them a halftime give away.   Every time this was done there was a mass exodus of students when the got their halftime nachos or prize.  I don’t have a solution for this.  But I witnessed this mass halftime exodus in every promotion this season.  Don’t waste $$$$ getting students there for an hour. 

Finally do something with that damn mascot.  Why does the Duke mascot stand by the pep band all game?   I saw a hilarious tweet about this from a fan.    You’re a mascot.  Walk around and interact.  Don’t stand by the trumpet player all game.    If you can’t find someone to walk around in the suit and interact, I’ll volunteer.  Just don’t do it half assed.

I’m done.  I apologize to all that I have annoyed.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/10/2018 3:57 pm)

5/10/2018 6:46 pm  #7

You are spot-on with each item. The game day experience is better at every other conference school & most programs in lower echelon conferences.

This has been the biggest surprise/disappointment of the Harper regime. 

It should be mandatory for the responsible administrators & athletic department staff to head up to Olean & see the Bonnies' game day production. (I am not talking about their fantastic attendance. The Dukes should be trending upward in that department.) Those folks have no money & they put DU to shame.

5/10/2018 7:46 pm  #8

It really doesn’t bother me; just win meaningful games and people will fill the Palumbo.  Then the atmosphere will be great!

5/10/2018 8:03 pm  #9

levon1975 wrote:

It really doesn’t bother me; just win meaningful games and people will fill the Palumbo.  Then the atmosphere will be great!

With all due respect winning isn’t enough.   You are fighting for entertainment dollars in a pro market with an ACC school as competition. 

The Athletic Department has got to put n a little effort.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/10/2018 8:09 pm)

5/10/2018 9:56 pm  #10

duqkurt wrote:

Finally I would stop immediately any student promotion that gives them a halftime give away. Every time this was done there was a mass exodus of students when the got their halftime nachos or prize. I don’t have a solution for this. But I witnessed this mass halftime exodus in every promotion this season. Don’t waste $$$$ getting students there for an hour.

Finally do something with that damn mascot. Why does the Duke mascot stand by the pep band all game? I saw a hilarious tweet about this from a fan. You’re a mascot. Walk around and interact. Don’t stand by the trumpet player all game. If you can’t find someone to walk around in the suit and interact, I’ll volunteer. Just don’t do it half assed.

I’m done. I apologize to all that I have annoyed.

I would be stunned if anyone were annoyed by these suggestions.  I honestly think every single one of them is doable, and worthwhile.  I wouldn't want to replace the cheerleading coach though.  I agree on the uniform change though and in adding more routines.  Not using our million dollar scoreboard is beyond me.  

5/11/2018 9:03 am  #11

I never said they were bad ideas, but I go to see basketball; not really concerned with hair bows or uniforms; but there is one very important and major improvement needed, and that is the terrible sound system!  Announcements during breaks in the game, or even halftime can’t be heard.  This is something that has persisted for years; and is inexcusable! 
I can also buy into a new scoreboard that tracks player scoring and throughout the game.  This is something that most facilities provide today.

5/11/2018 11:11 am  #12

levon1975 wrote:

I never said they were bad ideas, but I go to see basketball; not really concerned with hair bows or uniforms; but there is one very important and major improvement needed, and that is the terrible sound system!  Announcements during breaks in the game, or even halftime can’t be heard.  This is something that has persisted for years; and is inexcusable! 
I can also buy into a new scoreboard that tracks player scoring and throughout the game.  This is something that most facilities provide today.

Agreed.  Hair bows don’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things.   

What you listed are needed as well.  But it shows what little effort they put into presenting a first class product.

5/11/2018 11:23 am  #13

levon1975 wrote:

I have made comments about in the past. The main things I would like to see improved center around the technology that is already there and currently being poorly utilized in my opinion.

The scoreboard-we mentioned this last season and saw some changes. They finally read this and decided to put up stats at breaks and some replays. However the only stats are team stats, how clueless are these people?! List stats by player numbers and show the team stats every once in awhile, individual numbers give you a way better picture of what's actually going on. I have also said in the past we need graphics to engage fans as well 333333 or d fense! Or whatever.

The freaking sound system!!!! They used to have concerts at Palumbo, so can somebody explain why the hell the volume is turned up to 26/100 and playing outdated music constantly??? It's a freaking joke! It sucks all of the "atmosphere" out of the building, I can't imagine what the players feel or think, it would be impossible to get pumped up, you can literally barely hear the music right before tip off!

Make it loud and crazy, you wonder why students don't come? Play THEIR MUSIC, and play it loud! I remember two years ago they let an African American student dj right in the bottom corner of the student section. She had the crowd jumping and engaged. She played her music loud, and there was ATMOSPHERE. I only ever saw her that one game, I assume the older fans had something to say about the change in music. Go back to something like that!!!

If anyone else remembers her I'd like to get anyones thoughts on the difference.

5/11/2018 5:05 pm  #14

When the auxiliary scoreboards were put in the corners, they showed the #s of the players on the court, points and fouls.  For one season.   Now they just show ads.   There are 8 of them.   One had visiting team.  One had home team.  That was put in during GA era.   

They have the capability to show stats.

5/11/2018 7:48 pm  #15

I really like most to all of the suggestions you guys have laid out, and absolutely love the city skyline silhouette on the court idea. The court is due for an update anyways, as I know they're beginning to phase out the Duke that they have at mid-court in favor of the Duquesne 'D.' The city's silhouette would appeal greatly to the city, like @duqkurt previously mentioned.

I hope as time goes by, we at least begin to see some changes.

5/14/2018 8:51 am  #16

I think you need to spend money.  I know a couple people who live in Cali, and go to NBA games, and they said every TO, commercial, break...there is some entertainment.  Not just cheerleaders/dancers, but fireworks, dunks from trampolines, video features, t-shirt toss, shooting contests, etc.  DU would need to reach out to a couple sponsors for prizes, but make them legit prizes, not a $4 shirt or plastic ball, get better entertainment/prizes.  Something funny or interesting.  I noticed this year the game at St Louis, they always had some action during the breaks.  I'd get more drums in the band.  Less/no guitars.  Its a basketball game, not a concert.  Dim the lights, geta spotlight(s) for the Dukes introduction.  Think Chicago Bulls, Jordan era....and now... from North Carolina, a 6'6'' guard, #23.....get the crowd amped up BEFORE the game.  Put the students behind the visitors bench.  IDC if that cuts into a few season ticket numbers.  Better snacks/refreshments.  ANd there does need to be a student section nickname.  Danger Zone, might be used too much already, but something catchy that would make a freshman want to check it out.

5/14/2018 12:41 pm  #17

duqkurt wrote:

Finally I would stop immediately any student promotion that gives them a halftime give away. Every time this was done there was a mass exodus of students when the got their halftime nachos or prize. I don’t have a solution for this. But I witnessed this mass halftime exodus in every promotion this season. Don’t waste $$$$ getting students there for an hour.

They actually don't do as many promotions as you'd think. This is just...the mass exodus of students at halftime naturally.

Any promotions they do they typically wait until at least  halftime as you mentioned because often times people would walk in and take their $h!t and leave at the door before a ball was even dribbled. This is an improvement from previous seasons already

duqkurt wrote:

Finally do something with that damn mascot. Why does the Duke mascot stand by the pep band all game? I saw a hilarious tweet about this from a fan. You’re a mascot. Walk around and interact. Don’t stand by the trumpet player all game. If you can’t find someone to walk around in the suit and interact, I’ll volunteer. Just don’t do it half assed.

that was perhaps me with the jab. you're welcome!

The old RBC Pres before me was the most recent "full-time" mascot and I'm pretty sure he was even a ringer for the City Game this year still because he danced like a champ in that thing. since he moved on, welp, you're right. I don't think anyone volunteered this year. 

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/15/2018 7:04 am  #18

What ever happened to LeBron showing up on any given night?  

He probably couldnt get students to show up, even if he brought the Cavs cheerleaders and provided free beer.

5/28/2018 10:45 pm  #19

There are a lot of Catholic Churches and Catholic High Schools in the area.   I would do a lot more to connect with these;  for example, put an advertisement in the church bulletins.  It just might interest Catholic parishiners in going to the games -- and maybe their kids might decide to go to Duquesne for their education.  Make an effort to connect with the elementary, middle schools and high schools basketball programs, familiarize them with the Duke's program and star players (with videos) and schedule, invite them to attend gratis games...  I'm appalled at the lack of interest of Channel 2, 4 and 11/12 sports in including much about Duquesne Dukes basketball.   DUQ sports needs to put a copy of the game recaps by Dambrot and films in the hands of the TV stations every night... even if it involves assigning a student in sports journalism 'get er done!'  Also, don't forget Facebook!

5/29/2018 7:17 am  #20

The Dukes have a decent twitter account.  There are accounts for MBB, WBB, athletics, football, etc.

I think free t-shirts will get more people.  Laugh, but we cant do fireworks inside an arena, so the next big item for this town is t-shirts.  Doesnt have to be red outs or that kind of thing.  But some cheap shirts with a logo or slogan.

I still think 4-5 billboard ads placed around the city on the major roadways will work.  I get stuck on Rt 51 looking at the same damn pitt ads every year, every morning.  But when stuck in traffic, people will notice that kind of stuff.

I do like the catholic school idea.  And pushing Dukes highlights out to the 3 local news outlets.  

5/30/2018 5:39 am  #21

There ARE times during the games when the Scoreboard in the middle of the court has the points, assists, and rebounds of the five players on the floor -  Just wish there was MORE time when that is the case.

For what it is worth the Ladies seem to have various things that promote the team with very little difference of note -  To wit the 10 consecutive tournament teams -  The fact that after nearly EVERY home game ALL players sign autographs and greet the fans (Shows appreciation on the part of a player like Elliot and Sole - they got very little playing time - who knows how many quizes/papers etc. might have been due at 9:00 the day following some of those mid week nights) -  The shirt tosses by the cheerleaders (there is one young African American I would guess he is about 6 attends the games with a middle aged lady - is a TARGET just about every game to the point where his ENTIRE wardrobe might consist of DU Team Shirts - A "Star Power" effect -  I for one used to enjoy watching a Norm Nixon, a Bruce Atkins or a Mark Stevenson even if DU was a decided underdog -  Chassidy is in the "number could be retired" group and when Julianna is in "Steph Curry Mode" game day experience gets better.  ALL of this to very little avail.   - And of Course my SEASON tickets cost about what it costs to PARK at a SINGLE Penquin/Steeler game Reduced parking or a discount at the concession stand (I bus it to most games - still after paying the $10.00 for parking maybe SOMETHING that would make the BOTTLE of WATER less than 3.00 -

Some ideas for the guys games

Remember one year when hats were given away once, umbrellas once and so on - perhaps there are agencies/businesses that might be willing to underwrite some promotional items - Perhaps the Lemon 80 could be expanded to give a few more days after the games -  Maybe an Arby's or a Wendy's can give away some promotional coupons at some games etc.

REALIZE these are SMALL things - Hopefully team wins enough to increase attendence a good deal - but the casual fans might appreciate the little things like this - Pirates probably have SOME sort of giveaway 75 times out of 80.

5/30/2018 9:16 am  #22

How difficult would it be to set up a band to play after a weekend game?  Roll the stage out, a band like The Commonheart is local and gaining national recognition.  They would probably love a college campus and audience of a couple thousand.

Does anyone from DU read these ideas?  Some of them make too much sense(not mine).  

5/30/2018 7:10 pm  #23

Perhaps we could put together a list and send it to the Athletic Director?  Does anyone on here have access to him?  

Board footera