Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2018 2:43 pm  #1

Notre Dame game at MSG?

Some tweets from Happening Hoops and Chris Dobbertean allude to this as the "marquee game" in the Gotham Classic, which would be held at Madison Square Garden.

Also included in this string of tweets is that Duquesne will host Radford (played Nova in PPG Paints in the 1-16 game), UIC and both William & Mary (I kid) as part of this tournament.

I'm at work so I'll have to post tweets in a minute on mobile.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/30/2018 2:57 pm  #2

Re: Notre Dame game at MSG?

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/30/2018 3:36 pm  #3

That would be too good to be true. Not only would not playing in South Bend give us better chance to win, but this would be much more high profile, giving us a chance to announce our return to relevance.

5/30/2018 3:38 pm  #4

I saw this too, but I don't think it is correct. Per ND's head coach, we are traveling to south bend to play them. We had a similar situation to this a few years ago where we hosted a few prelim games and then had to travel to the marquee team's home gym.

Also, the tweet from happening hoops says that ND is hosting Duquesne.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (5/30/2018 3:41 pm)

5/30/2018 3:49 pm  #5

Dukes2012 wrote:

I saw this too, but I don't think it is correct. Per ND's head coach, we are traveling to south bend to play them. We had a similar situation to this a few years ago where we hosted a few prelim games and then had to travel to the marquee team's home gym.

Also, the tweet from happening hoops says that ND is hosting Duquesne.

Well, if it is the Gotham Hoops Classic then someone must be playing in the Garden!  They could be the home team only in New York.

5/30/2018 5:37 pm  #6

Well, NYC is ND's 2nd home, so playing there is like ND playing a home game, maybe more.  ND fans are pretty quiet folk, but NYC ND fans are more loud and into the game.  

5/30/2018 8:39 pm  #7

I have not seen any site that definitively clears this up but a few years back, the Irish played Ohio State in the “marquee” game at the Garden.  Brey’s statement, which I did not see, is the only place that seems to refute that the game will be at MSG.  Lots of confusion this time of year - I don’t really care where it is played - it is a biggie.

5/30/2018 10:56 pm  #8

Kenpom Rankings from last season

Notre Dame - 35
W & M - 169
Radford - 170
UIC - 182

Only two opponents SFU and Southern Illinois finished higher than any of those teams last year. 

5/31/2018 5:53 am  #9

steve19981 wrote:

Notre Dame - 35
W & M - 169
Radford - 170
UIC - 182

Only two opponents SFU and Southern Illinois finished higher than any of those teams last year. 

We didn't play SFU last year.

5/31/2018 6:58 am  #10

12-22-17 Duq beat SF 67-65.  Look it up.

5/31/2018 7:22 am  #11

steve19981 wrote:

Notre Dame - 35
W & M - 169
Radford - 170
UIC - 182

What about St Louis?  They werent top 180?

5/31/2018 8:06 am  #12

lilpav30 wrote:

12-22-17 Duq beat SF 67-65. Look it up.

SFU is St. Francis. San Fran is USF, University of San Francisco.

5/31/2018 8:07 am  #13

townsonkid wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Notre Dame - 35
W & M - 169
Radford - 170
UIC - 182

I think he's talking ooc, after all, Bona, and URI were both top 50 programs.

5/31/2018 1:09 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Notre Dame - 35
W & M - 169
Radford - 170
UIC - 182

I meant URI, not St Lou.  OOC makes sense then.  But easier OOC, that was on purpose.  And so is PSU, ND and Marshall this year.  Our OOC will be much tougher this year.  I just hope we can open with 2-3 cupcakes to at least let all the new bloods get the feet wet.

Last edited by townsonkid (5/31/2018 1:09 pm)

5/31/2018 3:04 pm  #16

Despite its name, the Gotham Classic doesn't always have a showcase game at Madison Square Garden. Two years ago, the tournament was UMass, Pacific, Rider, Kennesaw State and North Carolina A&T. All games were played on campus sites. While the field has been announced, there's been no press release or confirmation of a showcase event at MSG this year. Notre Dame meanwhile announced last week that they'll be playing at MSG December 4: against Oklahoma in the Jimmy V Classic. 

5/31/2018 4:12 pm  #17

DennisC91 wrote:

Despite its name, the Gotham Classic doesn't always have a showcase game at Madison Square Garden. Two years ago, the tournament was UMass, Pacific, Rider, Kennesaw State and North Carolina A&T. All games were played on campus sites. While the field has been announced, there's been no press release or confirmation of a showcase event at MSG this year. Notre Dame meanwhile announced last week that they'll be playing at MSG December 4: against Oklahoma in the Jimmy V Classic. 

Good catch, Dennis.  Agreed.  From your linked ND press release on the Jimmy V Classic:
The Irish return to Madison Square Garden for the first time since December 21, 2013, when they faced Ohio State in the Gotham Classic. Notre Dame also took part in the first college basketball doubleheader ever played at Madison Square Garden (at its original location at on 8th avenue between 49th and 50th streets) when the Irish lost to NYU 25-18 on December 29, 1934. This year's Jimmy V Classic will take place just under 84 years following that first doubleheader (which also featured St. John's and Westminster).

I would disregard 'BloggingtheBracket.com' link showing that the Gotham Classic takes place: "Nov. 6-20: Campus sites and New York"

5/31/2018 4:16 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I meant URI, not St Lou.  OOC makes sense then.  But easier OOC, that was on purpose.  And so is PSU, ND and Marshall this year.  Our OOC will be much tougher this year.  I just hope we can open with 2-3 cupcakes to at least let all the new bloods get the feet wet.

I agreed 100% with the soft schedule last year. We knew we didn't have much, and weren't going anywhere, so why let the team get beat down early? I enjoyed having a .500 season, when everyone expected us to lose 20+ games. The team is better now, so toughening the schedule makes sense. We now have people in charge who have a clue.

5/31/2018 5:36 pm  #19

Also of note....
The college basketball season opens this season on a Tuesday - November 6th.
Reasoning was that they would get more attention opening on a Tuesday vs. a Friday/Saturday without competing against the weekend college football games.
159 Days to the Season!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-01-17/start-2018-19-college-basketball-season-moved-should-provide

6/07/2018 11:02 am  #20

The Duquesne/ND will be in South Bend, per the school's announcement today.

6/07/2018 11:24 am  #21

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060718aad.html

So with Pitt, Penn State, Bobby Mo and these four games equaling 7 of our 10-11-12 non-con games, I suspect the whiners who bellyached over last year's schedule will need something new to lament over.

6/07/2018 11:30 am  #22

as long as they win the ones they should(RMU esp) and win some they shouldnt(pitt?), I'll be happy as a pig in slop.  

That first game vs W&M looks like it could be the season opener.
Wish the ND game was a weekend, was thinking of driving out there, but its ok.  Watching us beat them on tv will be fine.

Last edited by townsonkid (6/07/2018 11:38 am)

6/07/2018 11:39 am  #23

ElDuque wrote:

So with Pitt, Penn State, Bobby Mo and these four games equaling 7 of our 10-11-12 non-con games, I suspect the whiners who bellyached over last year's schedule will need something new to lament over.

And don’t forget Marshall.

6/07/2018 1:24 pm  #24

E. D.

I confess to a negative post last summer about the schedule.  I had gotten too fed up with Ferry and the “play patsies to make me look good” syndrome.  Had a chance to discuss with a member of the staff and was told why the schedule went that way and that it was a one year thing.  Like with everything this group does, they indeed delivered.  Have not been negative since nor will I be so in future.  Thanks for my deserved “calling out”

6/07/2018 3:58 pm  #25

ElDuque wrote:

The weak schedule was appropriate last year. The team was very short handed, and KD wanted to build some confidence. Had we played a tough schedule, we likely would have gotten slaughtered ooc, destroying any confidence we had, and likely leading to an awful conference record, and possibly the departure of Lewis, and Williams. I can tell you I would not be nearly as optimistic now, had that happened.

Board footera