Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2018 6:54 am  #1

Name from the Past - Jack May

Jack May played for Darrell Porter’s team in 2000-2001 as a freshman. As a first year player, he put up some decent numbers; started most games.

He didn’t make it back for his spohomore season. Rumor has it that he was involved with multiple altercations in South Side bars; understand that some of these fights caused serious injuries to people. The words used to describe Jack were “crazy”, “nuts” and “out-of-control”. The attached article seems to support these rumors.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/6/7/17433972/pfls-jack-may-brings-basketball-enforcer-attitude-to-cage-fighting

6/08/2018 7:20 am  #2

Re: Name from the Past - Jack May

Like Sean Rooney, another sad story of a kid with real talent who couldn't get it together.

I grew up in a rough neighborhood. Lived on the Newark border when the riots broke out. Had to fight my way home from school most days when I was 13-14 years old because there was always someone who felt he had something to prove. So I understand these guys a little, because I know a lot of people who ended up the same way, and it's only by the grace of God that things worked out differently for me. And those who have been around the board a long time and remember how combative I could be in times past, well, now you know the rest of the story. 

I liked Jack a lot as a player. Reminded me of a young Dave DeBusschere with his tenacity around the rim. I hope he can turn things around in his life.

6/08/2018 12:48 pm  #3

I would have liked to have seen Jack play a few more years at Duquesne.  He could have been a great attraction, and added some meaningful toughness to our teams. 
It seems like he is headed in a good direction, and hope he does well in the tournament!

6/09/2018 8:31 am  #4

I sometimes look back at the Porter years & wonder what might have been.  I remember that his recruiting class of Jack May, Kevin Forney, Devin Montgomery, & Brad Midgely was considered one of the top recruiting classes in the A-10.  But they never played even one game together.  By the time May became academically eligible, Montgomery had flunked out of school.

6/09/2018 11:49 am  #5

Officer Dribble wrote:

I sometimes look back at the Porter years & wonder what might have been.  I remember that his recruiting class of Jack May, Kevin Forney, Devin Montgomery, & Brad Midgely was considered one of the top recruiting classes in the A-10.  But they never played even one game together.  By the time May became academically eligible, Montgomery had flunked out of school.

It takes a degree of bad luck to have a 45 year stretch like we've had. You look at some of the few decent seasons we've had (81, 86, 94, 09), and you wonder how much better they would have been without; Arnold and Tunny flunking out; the rape case; the dumb MCC move that ruined recruiting while Alston was here; and of course, the shooting. We are overdue for some luck of the good kind.

6/11/2018 3:58 pm  #6

Thanks for posting the article.  When TV was signed last year I thought about May and Montgomery, and wondered if TV would last more than the 1 year (and less) that they did.  Was wondering what happened to both of them, basketball wise.  Never would have guessed full contact fighting.

6/21/2018 6:07 pm  #7

They are showing Jack May fight on NBCSN tonight. Fights start at 7.

Board footera