Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/29/2018 8:34 am  #1

6/29/2018 8:47 am  #2

Re: Duquesne/RMU won't play in 2018-19

Too bad I was looking forward to crushing them this year.

6/29/2018 8:59 am  #3

If I were to speculate, I don't think it's because either team willingly backed out. It's too high a profile game for RMU and it's an opponent we don't have to travel for that we should have too much pride to walk away from. I wonder if they couldn't find a date that works for the both of them AND PPG, since RMU still does not have a  home arena.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

6/29/2018 10:17 am  #4

Uh, oh, a WEB sighting!

Will miss this one on the schedule this year.

6/29/2018 11:48 am  #5

PG says RMU wanted to renew the series but DU declined.

Last edited by duqkurt (6/29/2018 11:50 am)

6/29/2018 1:31 pm  #6

duqkurt wrote:

PG says RMU wanted to renew the series but DU declined.

I'm guessing that RMU wanted the home and home series to continue and that the Dukes didn't want to go on the "road" to play a NEC opponent on their home court.  I understand the same situation came into play regarding Saint Francis. I understand this thinking; if you are a Top 50 program (which we hope the Dukes to become soon), you don't go on the road to play a game against a team in the 30th ranked conference.

The highest ranked (KenPom) opponents to play a home game with an Andy Toole coached Robert Morris team was Kentucky (#55) in the NIT in 2013-14 and Duquesne (#55) in 2010-11 (which the Dukes lost).

6/29/2018 6:04 pm  #7

I happen to have info from inside the program that Duquesne caused this. Maybe Dambrot knows he cant beat them and is frightened to keep them on the schedule. What a joke. Well, maybe Thiel has an opening. Now I know why Dambrot has had this string of winning records. He runs from competition.

6/29/2018 6:40 pm  #8

rittersdiner wrote:

I happen to have info from inside the program that Duquesne caused this. Maybe Dambrot knows he cant beat them and is frightened to keep them on the schedule. What a joke. Well, maybe Thiel has an opening. Now I know why Dambrot has had this string of winning records. He runs from competition.

You are partially right. From what I've heard, Duquesne caused this because they are refusing to have a home-and-home series with a team from one of the worst conferences in the country. There's nothing to gain from winning a game at RMU and everything to lose. But, I mean, you know that, ritters, because you know everything.

6/29/2018 7:20 pm  #9

rittersdiner wrote:

Dang, yore sure a brilliant fellar.  Guessin' that's why Mr. Dambrot wanted to play Nortre Dame, Penn State and Marshall OCC.

Yessir, Bobby Mo sure puts Nortre Dame to shame!

Last edited by coffee (6/29/2018 7:28 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

6/29/2018 7:31 pm  #10

Dukes2012 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

You are partially right. From what I've heard, Duquesne caused this because they are refusing to have a home-and-home series with a team from one of the worst conferences in the country. There's nothing to gain from winning a game at RMU and everything to lose. But, I mean, you know that, ritters, because you know everything.

What's to gain is some respect in the city and region. Or haven't you notice how often they have kicked our rear ends?

6/29/2018 7:34 pm  #11

coffee wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Dang, yore sure a brilliant fellar. Guessin' that's why Mr. Dambrot wanted to play Nortre Dame, Penn State and Marshall OCC.

Duquesne has been shamed a number of times by Robert Morris or haven't you been keeping score? If you have a chance to squash them, then you do it.

6/29/2018 7:43 pm  #12

Yeah we all know the score.  The respect you covet will come from a whole season, not one game against an NEC team.  I personally favor playing them but I understand the low conference argument.  Not knocking RMU - knocking the conference.  Duquesne can make their best statement by A10 success.  I hope we work out something with the Colonials going forward

6/29/2018 10:05 pm  #13

Respectfully Rittersdiner Duquesne has dominated RMU in football  the last 10 years  most  recently at RMU 51 to 14 blowout last year.That being said by way of keeping better "shaming" score  I agree with you that it would nice to figure out a way to continue to play RMU in basketball. I don't think that it ever got to the point that in basketball  it felt like a true rivalry game like football does and maybe that's more Duquesne's fault but nonetheless its not close to  The City game. Pitt Duquesne at least still draws some attention and  some fans even though Pitt has dominated

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (6/29/2018 10:18 pm)

6/30/2018 7:40 am  #14

Yep, the onus is on Robert Morris to get out of the NEC and move up to a better conference, perhaps the Horizon or the MAAC.

6/30/2018 8:06 am  #15

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Yep, the onus is on Robert Morris to get out of the NEC and move up to a better conference, perhaps the Horizon or the MAAC.

My guess is that Bobby Mo spent the money for the new arena because they'd like to join the MAAC. The Horizon is full of big public schools, and isn't really a good fit for them. That said, I don't like this. I don't think we should ever have started playing home and home with them, but it's now established. We could have at least waited until we started beating them regularly. If Pitt pulled a stunt like this on us, the board would be going crazy. Bad move Duquesne.

6/30/2018 9:14 am  #16

The trip up to St. Francis was always good, especially after Seven Springs replaced Johnstown and Greensburg as stopping places.

6/30/2018 9:37 am  #17

rittersdiner wrote:

coffee wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Dang, yore sure a brilliant fellar. Guessin' that's why Mr. Dambrot wanted to play Nortre Dame, Penn State and Marshall OCC.

Duquesne has been shamed a number of times by Robert Morris or haven't you been keeping score? If you have a chance to squash them, then you do it.

You are absolutely correct... I didn't say we shouldn't play them.  We should be playing RMU and Sr. Francis if we are playing Longwood.  The fans want it.

Point was there were other reasons than "fearing" Bobby Mo when we work to play Nortre Dame, Penn State and Marshall particularly when we would be playing at PPG this year.  We should play there's every year just like football should be at Highmark.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

6/30/2018 10:23 am  #18

I'm afraid Rittersdiner has a point. Even though it's true we gain little from beating them, the only thing worse than losing to them is canceling the series because we're afraid to play them and lose to them. And that's what this looks like right now. But I'll withhold final judgment until I hear Duquesne's side of the story. I wonder if there was something else going on. Like maybe Robert Morris wanting to be the home team in a game played at Palumbo. Since their new gym won't be available until the conference season and PPG is both expensive and has limited availability, certainly a possibility. I could see that Duquesne might not go for that. 

6/30/2018 10:53 am  #19

Perhaps DU doesn’t want to play the first game at their new place.    Guaranteeing perhaps the only sellout  and giving them more press.

Btw.  All the fights about PG coverage may be a moot point.   They announced this week starting 8/25 they won’t be publishing print versions two days a week.

Last edited by duqkurt (6/30/2018 10:54 am)

6/30/2018 11:29 am  #20

duqkurt wrote:

Perhaps DU doesn’t want to play the first game at their new place. Guaranteeing perhaps the only sellout and giving them more press.

Btw. All the fights about PG coverage may be a moot point. They announced this week starting 8/25 they won’t be publishing print versions two days a week.

Technology has rendered newspapers all but obsolete. There is no line of business, or company that's truly unassailable. Blacksmiths went from being ubiquitous, to a niche occupation when cars came about. This goes for companies as well. At various times, A&P, Sears, and KMart, were the nation's largest retailer. A&P, and also Woolworth's, are gone, and Sears, and KMart soon will be. Even Wal-Mart isn't guaranteed to be here 50 years from now. Change is the only constant.

6/30/2018 4:00 pm  #21

duq81 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Perhaps DU doesn’t want to play the first game at their new place. Guaranteeing perhaps the only sellout and giving them more press.

Btw. All the fights about PG coverage may be a moot point. They announced this week starting 8/25 they won’t be publishing print versions two days a week.

Technology has rendered newspapers all but obsolete. There is no line of business, or company that's truly unassailable. Blacksmiths went from being ubiquitous, to a niche occupation when cars came about. This goes for companies as well. At various times, A&P, Sears, and KMart, were the nation's largest retailer. A&P, and also Woolworth's, are gone, and Sears, and KMart soon will be. Even Wal-Mart isn't guaranteed to be here 50 years from now. Change is the only constant.

I'm sure if the P-G and Trib go out of business, there will be dozens of ways to get information and features on the team, right? Right?

6/30/2018 6:24 pm  #22

rittersdiner wrote:

duq81 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

I'm sure if the P-G and Trib go out of business, there will be dozens of ways to get information and features on the team, right? Right?

DK Pittsburgh Sports, DYST, The Athletic, Twitter, the Internet (pretty much all games live) … 

Your point was what again?

6/30/2018 6:32 pm  #23

ElDuque wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

duq81 wrote:

DK Pittsburgh Sports, DYST, The Athletic, Twitter, the Internet (pretty much all games live) … 

So you think paying nearly $100 a year for that crap is better than the free coverage you get from newspapers? Hope you're not a business major.

6/30/2018 8:09 pm  #24

rittersdiner wrote:

duq81 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

No one is glad that newspapers are going under, but if no one is buying them, what are they supposed to do?

6/30/2018 11:09 pm  #25

rittersdiner wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

So you think paying nearly $100 a year for that crap is better than the free coverage you get from newspapers? Hope you're not a business major.

Nothing is really free.  Although many of us are accustomed to the morning paper in the driveway, that era is going away wherever you live.  Right now, many newspapers are online while still putting out print versions.

Inevitably, hard-copy newspapers will eventually be almost gone. 

What will also be gone is your capability to read the web versions of newspapers for free.  If you get your news free that way now (from whatever source), it is only because you are riding on the people who still pay for the hard copy. Those people in Pittsburgh, or here in TN, pay a lot more than $100 a year to pick up and read the morning paper.

The world keeps changing, and a capitalist economy adapts, as even China understands. 

The prediction here is that we will all be able to read about Duquesne's great resurgence in basketball in the future, and without paying significant sums to do so. 

Board footera