Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

UPCOMING GAMES:
NCAA Round 1 vs. BYU in Nebraska
12:40 Tip Off

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2018 12:18 pm  #1

Starting 5

What is your prediction for this year's starting 5 for game #1?

7/09/2018 12:25 pm  #2

Re: Starting 5

Give me Wade, mike Lewis, EW, weathers, and mike Hughes. Frankie hughes, Randall, and TDM first off the bench.

7/09/2018 3:51 pm  #3

I posted this elsewhere:
M. Hughes C
Weathers PF
Williams SF
Dunn-Martin PG
Lewis SG

(PS: I KNOW there's no such thing as traditional positions )

Dejan Kovacevic wrote recently that the newcomers are bringing so much talent to the table that there's no guarantee any current starters will keep their jobs. I've said before, Coach Dambrot keeps recruiting to improve over what he has. Unlike previous coaches who guaranteed four-year starting jobs and somehow never saw the team improve.

7/09/2018 3:53 pm  #4

TDW, Lewis, Williams, Weathers, and Rotroff.

7/09/2018 4:20 pm  #5

With KD, starting lineup a bit unimportant but it is fun so here goes:
   Mike Lewis
   Sincere Carry
   Eric Williams
   Craig Randall
   Mike Hughes

Apologies to F. Hughes, Bizeau, and Weathers who would start for many teams.  Let’s remember too that KD brought in all that size for a reason.  Rotroff, Swingle, and Kelly will earn shots at significant minutes

7/09/2018 4:54 pm  #6

The kids that are on the floor at winning time will vary according to who is playing well. This is the first time that the Dukes have 14 legitimate A10 players. Frankie Hughes is being slept on. Here is a kid that committed to Louisville and started at Missouri his frost year. So, no matter who starts, we can be sure they competed hard to earn the position. My guess:
E. Williams- SF
M Weathers - BF
M. Hughes - C
F Hughes - 2G
T. Dunn-Martin -1G

Last edited by HookShot (7/09/2018 4:55 pm)

7/10/2018 11:16 am  #7

No such animal...for a while.  And if they do “start” it won’t mean much for a month or more.   I don’t think there are 5 players that are that far ahead of others that they will always start.  This will be fluid at least until January.

Last edited by FAM (7/10/2018 11:16 am)

7/10/2018 11:22 am  #8

PG, Wade, SG, Lewis, SF, Williams, PF, Weathers and C, Kelly(but Hughes will probably start the season there).  Maybe Kelly can work at PF.  

Assuming the Gotham tourney will be the start of the season, they need to find a mix and come out firing.  Those are 3 winnable games, and would go a long way to starting strong in OOC.

7/11/2018 9:26 am  #9

It seems the 11 player rotation will be more meaningful and the match ups, at least to me. I am looking forward to teams being kept honest guarding Lewis II , since the other options KD has will eliminate the doubles and chasers defense he saw last year.

Never was more impatient for November to roll around and season start than this year.

A diehard fan since 1961

7/11/2018 11:02 am  #10

Phildog wrote:

It seems the 11 player rotation will be more meaningful and the match ups, at least to me. I am looking forward to teams being kept honest guarding Lewis II , since the other options KD has will eliminate the doubles and chasers defense he saw last year.

Never was more impatient for November to roll around and season start than this year.

Yeah I expect mike Lewis to have a big year. Teams definitely overplayed him on defense last year, and will not be able to do so this year with all of the new talent and depth. Plus, he and EW will not be required to play as many minutes this year. I think they were worn down by the end of the year last season.

11/07/2018 7:15 pm  #11

Bumped this up since we got a little info on some of the players progress. I'm going to stick with my original 5 but  i'm not too confident on my picks at the 1 and the 5. Looks like Rotroff will be the first of the freshman bigs to get on the court from what I'm taking from the PSN interview.

11/08/2018 8:12 am  #12

I dont even think KD knows who starts Saturday.  I dont think it really matters until he knows what he's got.  At least there are options now.

11/08/2018 9:44 am  #13

I think 4 of the 5 starters are pretty obvious at this point: Lewis, Williams, weathers, and mike hughes. The question is who starts at point guard.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (11/08/2018 9:44 am)

11/08/2018 11:07 am  #14

I think MIke Hughes might not start.
I read that Hughes, though legs are healed,
is still working to be game ready.
His playing time would be in the 5-10 minute range.

11/08/2018 12:30 pm  #15

5 minutes?  I'm 45 and fat and can play 5 minutes.  

If he can only play a few minutes, maybe Kelly starts?   KD seems to think he can be a star.  I remember him saying that he is most ready of the frosh bigs and is strong defensively.  

11/08/2018 12:56 pm  #16

townsonkid wrote:

If he can only play a few minutes, maybe Kelly starts?   KD seems to think he can be a star.  I remember him saying that he is most ready of the frosh bigs and is strong defensively.  

I have not heard anything about Hughes having limitations. KD said yesterday that rotroff is the most ready young big but that Kelly wasn’t far behind.

11/08/2018 2:04 pm  #17

That Lewis article on PSN said the starting lineup for the 2 exhibition games were Sincere and Lewis at the guards, E Williams at the 3, Marcus Weathers at the 4 and Mike Hughes at the 5.  

11/08/2018 3:34 pm  #18

Zach did article for PSN on Oct 8, 2018 that details Mike's injury and recovery,
Of course, I may have misunderstood  what was written

11/09/2018 9:58 am  #19

PistolPete wrote:

That Lewis article on PSN said the starting lineup for the 2 exhibition games were Sincere and Lewis at the guards, E Williams at the 3, Marcus Weathers at the 4 and Mike Hughes at the 5.  

This seems like the most logical group to go with for the start of the season. I’m a little surprised (pleasantly) Carey seems to be doing so well out of the gate. The other 4 seem like locks for the beginning of the year.

11/09/2018 11:06 pm  #20

ElDuque wrote:

I posted this elsewhere:
M. Hughes C
Weathers PF
Williams SF
Dunn-Martin PG
Lewis SG

(PS: I KNOW there's no such thing as traditional positions )

Dejan Kovacevic wrote recently that the newcomers are bringing so much talent to the table that there's no guarantee any current starters will keep their jobs. I've said before, Coach Dambrot keeps recruiting to improve over what he has. Unlike previous coaches who guaranteed four-year starting jobs and somehow never saw the team improve.

No way Mike Lewis is not starting. Also Williams

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/10/2018 8:08 am  #21

townsonkid wrote:

45? Time to drop the "kid."

No more money in your birthday card, either.

4/14/2019 4:00 pm  #22

Interesting thread to look back on

Board footera