Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2018 3:59 pm  #1

Crazy Idea To Try to Raise DU National Profile

So ESPN is currently taking bids via Ebay for a number of "Dream Sports Experiences" to help raise money for the Jimmy V. Cancer Foundation, there are some really cool packages, it is worth checking out. 

One of which is extremely interesting and compelling to me from the perspective of the potential exposure it could bring to all Duquesne sports:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Program-ESPNU-for-a-Day-Experience-for-Two-2/263797957215?_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D55930481e4b04458f8c648c2%26rpp_icid%3D559301d9e4b06944d547ec1e

The winner of this package gets to set the programming for ESPNU for an entire day. The auction ends in 8 days and current winning bid is only $305!!! The package also includes a tour for two of ESPN, getting to meet some of the talent, and lunch there. 

What I think we could do is coordinate with the athletic dept., have them find a Saturday in the fall where we have a men's and women's hoops game as well as a football game at home. Have them set it up where the ladies play at 1, men's hoops at 3, and football at like 5:30. Fill the rest of the day with our other sports. Maybe get Lebron to attend the men's game.

This would just be one massively huge advertisement for DU on a national level, for an entire day. Put tons of shots of the campus between breaks, it is so beautiful it sells itself. You would have the time to give a robust picture of the history of DU and everything it has to offer! Even if this got to say $800, think of what it would cost the University to gain this level of national exposure for 24 hours straight and on a popular TV channel, probably would cost millions.

So what I am suggesting is that we team up to get this done. I don't know exactly what the best way to structure this would be but if a number of us contributed we could definitely make it happen. I am willing to make a financial contribution and any amount anyone could offer would help. Maybe whoever contributes the most can go to the ESPN campus and do the tour and the meet and greet. I am mostly interested in seeing our beloved Dukes on National TV. I don't want to do a go-fund-me type of thing because it would be better to try to keep this quiet. Any suggestions for structuring would be good.

Could be huge for the Athletic Dept. (recruiting) as well as the entire university as a whole (potential applicants that would have never applied). This would very likely raise more awareness for DU nationally in one day than what they do for an entire year from a marketing perspective.

7/14/2018 10:59 am  #2

Re: Crazy Idea To Try to Raise DU National Profile

Like the idea a lot and of course winning is the best way to increase awareness long term.  I  especially like the idea of having all 3 major programs playing on same day

7/14/2018 12:52 pm  #3

Does anyone actually watch ESPN U though? It makes me think of the Big East on FS1. Nearly all of their games are on, but the ratings are below abysmal. No one watches those games other than alums, and fans of the particular schools. It's great to be on tv, but it doesn't matter much if no one tunes in.

7/14/2018 1:25 pm  #4

Good point Duq81 and I honestly don't know the answer to that question but I think it is the right idea. I am not sure about the how  and the future of sports viewing generally and by that I mean are things like the NFL Red Zone the wave of the future and would a podcast be better? I do believe people still want to watch games and winning long term is the best way to increase awareness. Thanks for the post

Board footera