Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2013 8:56 am  #1

Kadeem to play soccer

PG article confirms Kadeem leaving the basketball team to play soccer.

"Also, sophomore forward Kadeem Pantophlet likely will leave the team and join Duquesne's men's soccer team. Pantophlet, who is from Tiel, Netherlands, played soccer at a high level in his native country and has been working out with the Dukes soccer team this spring. Pantophlet appeared in 29 basketball games (22 starts) this past season and averaged 4.9 points and 4.3 rebounds in 21 minutes per game"

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/duquesne/no-truth-to-rumors-of-ferry-leaving-duquesne-682841/#ixzz2Q4JrymMM

4/10/2013 11:19 am  #2

Re: Kadeem to play soccer

If Kadeem makes the Dukes' men's soccer team and gets a scholarship, perhaps his athletic skills will be more appreciated on the pitch than on the court.  Furthermore, it would be great if he and the soccer team could win the A-10 conference tournament championship next season and earn a bid in the NCAA post-season tournament.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (4/11/2013 9:03 am)

4/10/2013 12:03 pm  #3

godukes1970 wrote:

If Kadeem makes the Dukes' men's soccer team and gets a scholarship, perhaps his athletic skills will be more appreciated on the pitch than on the court.  Furthermore, it would be great if he and the team could win the A-10 conference tournament championship next season and earn a bid in the NCAA post-season tournament.  

Our new men's soccer coach is very interesting and turned Niagara around in two seasons. He also hired the head coach from St Francis of Loretto away to be his assistant. Kadeem would be a nice internal add for him. 6'7'' soccer players don't grow on trees.

Last edited by steve19981 (4/10/2013 12:04 pm)

4/10/2013 1:36 pm  #4

Kadeems prep coach say's Kadeem is pissed about his schollie being taken away. Is this the way we treat a young man who has worked hard on and off the court. Why are some already to write this young man off, and wish him well at soccer, which is not why he came to Duquesne, but is trying to find a way to regain a schollie. I do not see this as a way to treat an athlete

4/10/2013 2:46 pm  #5

As I understand it, athletic scholarships are for the term of one year which may or may not be renewed for an additional year and so on to provide usually a maximum of 4 one-year scholarships.  Duquesne didn't invent this arrangement, that's the way the NCAA has it structured.  In life not everything goes the way you would like it to go.  I can understand that Kadeem is upset that his basketball scholarship wasn't renewed, but his playing for the soccer team provides him an opportunity of getting the remainder of his college expenses, assuming a full scholarship, provided by the university.  The net effect is that he can still get a college degree with little expense to him or his family.  

If there is no scholarship money available from the soccer team, he still has the option of transferring to another college to pursue playing basketball.  It may be disappointing for him, but in the big picture it's not the end of the world.  Is it? 

4/10/2013 2:55 pm  #6

Its the obligation of coach if he chooses to pull it to help him transfer to another school. Not the end of the world but seems he was left on his own to find his way.

4/10/2013 3:19 pm  #7

Scotchngars wrote:

Its the obligation of coach if he chooses to pull it to help him transfer to another school. Not the end of the world but seems he was left on his own to find his way.

Do we know that Coach Ferry and his assistant coaches have not offered to help Kadeem transfer to another school for basketball or did Kadeem choose on his own to remain at Duquesne to play soccer?Just wondering...

4/10/2013 4:24 pm  #8

Scotchngars wrote:

Not the end of the world but seems he was left on his own to find his way.

This isn't true.

Last edited by steve19981 (4/10/2013 4:25 pm)

4/10/2013 4:26 pm  #9

It's a tough situation, and not toally fair, but any new coach is under pressure to get the job done. This is especially so when the first year didn't go very well. If 3 years from now the team is 11-20, Ferry will be on the hot seat, and no one will want to hear that he inherited a bunch of subpar players. Thus, it is in his interests to do what he must, within the rules, to get this team in a position to win, If that means easing out holdovers that don't fit his plans, so be it.

4/10/2013 4:42 pm  #10

Any chance Ferry working the system? Kadeem gets a soccer schollie and walks on the basketball team next season.

4/10/2013 5:24 pm  #11

steve19981 wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

This isn't true.

I know I drive you crazy with this, but statements like this tell me you have an in with the program. Not judging, just saying.

So is Winters staying?

4/10/2013 7:25 pm  #12

I'm sure some of you are sick of hearing "back in the day."  Neverthless, back in the day, when Sports Illustrated ranked their preseason top twenty, and Duquesne was most always in it, there were many ex-varsity guys about campus.  It was tough then, tough now.   The option back then was to go somewhere else -- didn't see much of that -- or drop out and go to Vietnam.  Most chose to pay some money to stay at Duquesne, joined the Playboys, had a right old time, and a fine education.  "Many are called, but few are chosen."  That's written somewhere, but it eludes me at my old age.  

4/10/2013 7:54 pm  #13

Jules wrote:

I'm sure some of you are sick of hearing "back in the day."  Neverthless, back in the day, when Sports Illustrated ranked their preseason top twenty, and Duquesne was most always in it, there were many ex-varsity guys about campus.  It was tough then, tough now.   The option back then was to go somewhere else -- didn't see much of that -- or drop out and go to Vietnam.  Most chose to pay some money to stay at Duquesne, joined the Playboys, had a right old time, and a fine education.  "Many are called, but few are chosen."  That's written somewhere, but it eludes me at my old age.  

Very true, guys like Bubba Ried, Pete Klulic, Jr. Kennedy, Al Kanan, Cecile Banks, and so on wreaked havoc in the intramural football league.

4/10/2013 9:32 pm  #14

Doug Arnold played IM football. Didn't get to play against him, but I watched a game where he blocked about a dozen passes. And of course, Nixon & Co. were pretty fair softball players.

4/11/2013 8:41 am  #15

WashPaRick wrote:

Any chance Ferry working the system? Kadeem gets a soccer schollie and walks on the basketball team next season.

Hope so! Still believe that he can be of help to this team next season.

4/11/2013 11:31 am  #16

I had to block Bubba when I was a freshman, all 6"8" 350+ pounds of him.  I got steamrolled.   Those IM football games are still vivid in my mind.   Playboys, right?  They also had, I believe, Larry Abraham, who was 7 foot, and Rich Carlberg, who was, well, drafted by the Green Bay Packers.  Bubba went to the Chargers.  Anybody lately get drafted out of IM leagues?   Sidebar: Donn Clendenon was at Law School.  He was a first baseman for the Mets by then.   He played in one game; played one play; got laid out; got up, got in his car, and left.

4/11/2013 12:07 pm  #17

president wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

If he was being given a soccer schollie it would have been announced along with the three new recruits of the soccer team IMO. He was left on his own with no schollie and the last thing I would do is walk on to the basketball were I was told good bye. Torres out mid season, Abele, Martin transfering, Kadeem let go, SJ treated as a bench player as a Senior, Datt did he play this year, the writing on the wall is clear to me. Never did Everhart blame the remains of Danny Knees players nor say, I don't know what was going on before I got here.

4/11/2013 1:08 pm  #18

Scotchngars wrote:

president wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

If he was being given a soccer schollie it would have been announced along with the three new recruits of the soccer team IMO. He was left on his own with no schollie and the last thing I would do is walk on to the basketball were I was told good bye. Torres out mid season, Abele, Martin transfering, Kadeem let go, SJ treated as a bench player as a Senior, Datt did he play this year, the writing on the wall is clear to me. Never did Everhart blame the remains of Danny Knees players nor say, I don't know what was going on before I got here.

I guess I would agree with you on that one. Let's see what happens.

4/11/2013 1:28 pm  #19

Jules wrote:

I had to block Bubba when I was a freshman, all 6"8" 350+ pounds of him.  I got steamrolled.   Those IM football games are still vivid in my mind.   Playboys, right?  They also had, I believe, Larry Abraham, who was 7 foot, and Rich Carlberg, who was, well, drafted by the Green Bay Packers.  Bubba went to the Chargers.  Anybody lately get drafted out of IM leagues?   Sidebar: Donn Clendenon was at Law School.  He was a first baseman for the Mets by then.   He played in one game; played one play; got laid out; got up, got in his car, and left.

Thank's I was going to mention Larry but forgot his last name.  Carlberg was a terrific punter.  I bet there may be still some hanging over the old DU athletic field.  The Playboys were loaded with former B-ball players and probably would have given Pitt a good game back then.  There were some great games between the Playboys and The Sheiks.

Last edited by CLK (4/11/2013 1:29 pm)

4/11/2013 1:46 pm  #20

Scotch, why does everything have to relate back to RE???!!!  Nothing in WashPaRick's post was a negative against Ron or even mentions Ron, but you somehow have to bring him back into the picture and compare him to Ferry.  Geez oh man, at this juncture don't you think it is time to move past the RE thing????  Evaluate Ferry by all means, even though it is very early in his tenure, but continuously bringing RE up is really, really getting old and most posters seem to have moved past   that at this point.

4/11/2013 3:37 pm  #21

MrBrightside wrote:

Scotch, why does everything have to relate back to RE???!!!  Nothing in WashPaRick's post was a negative against Ron or even mentions Ron, but you somehow have to bring him back into the picture and compare him to Ferry.  Geez oh man, at this juncture don't you think it is time to move past the RE thing????  Evaluate Ferry by all means, even though it is very early in his tenure, but continuously bringing RE up is really, really getting old and most posters seem to have moved past   that at this point.

Exactly. Yet if anyone mentions Ron in a negative light, they're ingrates who are bashing Ron. Ron cleaned house when he got here. He got rid of the garbage before he coached a game. What was left? Achara, and AJax, two very useful players. Of course Ron didn't run them off, he's not dumb. Maybe Ferry should have shown these guys the door as soon as he got here.

4/11/2013 7:16 pm  #22

Me Brightside you stand for nothing. Scotch ngars is what men call a foxhole guy. The problem I have with you is that the minute coach Ferry fails you throw him under the bus. Im sure when RE was coach you sniffed. Atleast we stand for something. Back off dude.

4/11/2013 9:48 pm  #23

MrBrightside wrote:

If the mentioning of Ron irks you then I will lump you with the rest that sit by and say move on get over it. It is the very reason I won't let go. I stand with high morals and values, for those who say move on, thats the easy way out. You don't want to challange the administration to hold those accountable for the complete disrespect and smearing of a good man, you would rather put your head in the sand like GA and CD and hope everyone eventually forgets. I won't, If you don't like what I write I don't care, you seem to be an apologist to GA and are Ok with it. I came to this board to share the inner workings of the program, and how things really work in Duquesne athletics, but some just don't want to admit how bad it is and wants everyone to move on. 

And please don't tell me what to write and not write.

4/12/2013 5:14 am  #24

steve19981 wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

This isn't true.

I was on campus Thursday grabbed a copy of the duke newspaper. Article on Kadeem playing soccer. He say's he did not want to play soccer wanted to continue to play basketball, but coach Ferry would not renew my scholarship.He went on to say Coach Ferry made it very clear that he did not want me on the team any more, along with other players.

Kadeem approached the soccer coach on his own and asked if he could try out, the coach put him through some drills, and liked what he saw, and he made the team. Does not mention scholarship in the article.

How do you like your crow Steve?

4/12/2013 5:44 am  #25

Scotch here is the link to the article you referenced.

http://www.duqsm.com/dukes-tie-as-pantophlet-transitions-to-soccer/

Board footera