Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2018 8:16 am  #1

Rest in peace, Denny the Nerd

I'm sad to report that I have learned that my friend and classmate from the Duquesne class of 1978 Denny Churilla passed away last month.  Nerd was an assistant manager and statistician for the men's basketball team in the mid-70s and an avid supporter of the team for many years.  He was a member if Tau Kappa Epsilon and known by any and everyone on campus who supported the Dukes.  
https://johnfslater.com/dennis-m-churilla/

8/17/2018 8:52 am  #2

Re: Rest in peace, Denny the Nerd

May he rest in peace

8/17/2018 9:44 am  #3

Nerd was one of the Crew that made the TKE's unique in the early days of my college career - I pledged second semester freshman year (1977) - along with Spags, Wakeen (the mad Mexican), Spider, Santo, Harpo, Greeny, Casey and the rest of boys.  Those guys were the real TKE's and the reason I joined.  So sorry to hear about this.  RIP Nerd.

8/17/2018 12:21 pm  #4

PistolPete wrote:

Nerd was one of the Crew that made the TKE's unique in the early days of my college career - I pledged second semester freshman year (1977) - along with Spags, Wakeen (the mad Mexican), Spider, Santo, Harpo, Greeny, Casey and the rest of boys.  Those guys were the real TKE's and the reason I joined.  So sorry to hear about this.  RIP Nerd.

I believe Spags is still working for Quality Pasta in Charleroi and commuting from the Ville everyday.  Spider's son Dave owns Fourth Street BBQ in Charleroi and sometimes you can run into Spider there.  I haven't seen Keen in a few years.  I sent Greenie a message on LinkedIn about Nerd.  I see Vince at Dukes game all the time and Merge attends the Pitt game with me every year.  Rudy is in California now and has a business videotaping weddings, etc.

8/17/2018 2:13 pm  #5

It was good seeing you and Merge at the NCAA's at the Paint Can VBC!  I talk with Spags probably every other month or so and that is what he is doing.  I remember Nerd used to be able to snap his fingers and it was like a grenade going off.  He was a character, like the rest of the guys and Merge was in that group too.

8/17/2018 2:38 pm  #6

Sorry to hear about Nerd passing; another former TKE checking in!

8/17/2018 2:57 pm  #7

We shouldn't be losing guys from our era.

8/17/2018 4:38 pm  #8

PistolPete wrote:

It was good seeing you and Merge at the NCAA's at the Paint Can VBC!  I talk with Spags probably every other month or so and that is what he is doing.  I remember Nerd used to be able to snap his fingers and it was like a grenade going off.  He was a character, like the rest of the guys and Merge was in that group too.

The Qua!
I was thinking about your crew while mowing the lawn.  What ever happened to Quick?  I remember him playing street hockey in his Crayola hat.  He was a menace to society the way he ran around with his hockey stick up in the air.

8/17/2018 5:32 pm  #9

VBC wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

The Qua!
I was thinking about your crew while mowing the lawn.  What ever happened to Quick?  I remember him playing street hockey in his Crayola hat.  He was a menace to society the way he ran around with his hockey stick up in the air.

Quick was slow for a white man, but was my DH in softball.  He knew nothing about the game, but could actually hit the ball pretty well!  When he got on base Rudy was by pinch runner!

8/17/2018 5:46 pm  #10

levon1975 wrote:

VBC wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

The Qua!

Quick was slow for a white man, but was my DH in softball.  He knew nothing about the game, but could actually hit the ball pretty well!  When he got on base Rudy was by pinch runner!

Spags playing 2nd in platform shoes is a favorite intramural softball memory.

8/17/2018 7:31 pm  #11

Good question about Quick, I don't know the answer though.  Also, one time we were short a guy for intramural football so Spags, who was the coach, came in and played safety in his platforms - unbelievable.  I forgot about another favorite Rudy "White Shoes" Longarini.  What a cast of characters!  The good old days.

8/18/2018 1:39 pm  #12

PistolPete wrote:

Good question about Quick, I don't know the answer though.  Also, one time we were short a guy for intramural football so Spags, who was the coach, came in and played safety in his platforms - unbelievable.  I forgot about another favorite Rudy "White Shoes" Longarini.  What a cast of characters!  The good old days.

I believe Rudy scored the game winner against the Kaps in the Frat league Championship.  TKE had to beat them a doubleheader since we lost one game; and we did!  That was before Spags played; but we had a gang of misfits with Keen covering lots of ground in our flex defense in the outfield; which also featured Spider and Jim Baldy, right field was a mix of suspects.  Infield was the grizzled vet Tobin at 3rd, Me at short, “Contract” Bob Davidson at 2nd and Harpo at 1b.  Nicky Boris a very good player pitched and a few guys caught including Phil Mendys, or Quick at catcher.  I’m sure I missed a few guys and I apologize for that!  Anyway we all got really drunk after winning the Frat League and paid little attention to playing the Supplicators (Dukes basketball team) the following day and our big bats were silenced by Wojdowski on the mound, and A guy named Nixon that covered most of the outfield.  I recall Gumby throwing out the tying run at home plate late in the game; but we had lots of fun anyway!   Lots of great people to be around!

8/18/2018 4:31 pm  #13

My condolences to all of the TKEs  intramural brethren
and friends of Denny! Didn't know him  that well but always said hi and seemed like a good dude and the stories are priceless and a tribute to him!

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (8/18/2018 4:31 pm)

8/18/2018 4:36 pm  #14

PS I remember Norman playing a rover type position for the Suppicators and just running down everything and stealing base hits from the opposition. Gumby aka The People's Choice aka The Maharaja and numerous other self proclaimed monikers was a good all around athlete too who I later had on one of my flag football teams!

8/18/2018 10:08 pm  #15

Aw my ....Goodness ...RIP my friend. I will always remember the times we had together as part of the TKE's and of  life on the Bluff. Denny was, one of a kind. That's why we called him the "Nerd", he made the name the Nerd... Cool. It was a compliment... He will never be forgotten !!!

Rudy  Longarini
AKA- White Shoes

8/19/2018 3:10 pm  #16

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

PS I remember Norman playing a rover type position for the Suppicators and just running down everything and stealing base hits from the opposition. Gumby aka The People's Choice aka The Maharaja and numerous other self proclaimed monikers was a good all around athlete too who I later had on one of my flag football teams!

I worked with Gumby for a number of years, he never lost that swagger . For all his bluster he is a really nice man.

A diehard fan since 1961

8/19/2018 6:17 pm  #17

Haha absolutely Phildog! One of my all time favorite guys and now an outstanding referee.  Used to crack me up with his monikers

8/20/2018 11:12 am  #18

Rudy, nice to see you post, sorry its under these circumstances with the "Nerd" passing.  Anyway, my son may be going to film school in Cali next year so if we come out for a college visit I'd like to hook up - I'll let you know.
The Qua
P.S.   I don't know how to pass along my personal email and cell, but perhaps one of the monitors can let me know how I can get it touch with Rudy or feel free to give him my contact information.

8/20/2018 11:28 am  #19

Pete, use the InBox at the top of the page.

Board footera