Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2013 12:15 pm  #1

So is Amodio feeling any heat at all today?

The only successful coach he has ever hired is going a couple of miles away.   His most successful program (that still hasn't made the NCAA tournament) is taking a major hit. 

We have rumors about our men's coach leaving.   However untrue.   

Seriously, when are they going to look at the job this man is doing?   Why do we have to wait to see if Ferry is successful before getting rid of Amodio?

This athletic director and the department has not generated one positive piece of news over the last 2 years.

Last edited by duqkurt (4/12/2013 12:21 pm)

4/12/2013 12:23 pm  #2

Re: So is Amodio feeling any heat at all today?

Because if they were going to hire a new AD, last year would've been the year to do it.  Clean house and let the new AD choose a coach.  Putting in a new AD with a coach who is one year on the job sounds like a bad idea IMO, especially when the coach (Ferry) probably liked Amodio.  Maybe I am wrong, but it's just my guess.  

Also, Marvin Binney is transfering.  If Binney and Winters are gone, that definitely sucks.  Binney is easily replaced as he wasn't exactly the backup point we needed, but it would still prove that Ferry has trouble keeping his own guys just like Ron did.  Not trying to start a debate though.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

4/12/2013 12:49 pm  #3

I can not understand why Q is leaving.  He has so much potential!!

4/12/2013 1:59 pm  #4

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 33mDuquesne AD Greg Amodio killed baseball/wrestling/swimming with aim of improving basketball: http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=4858124&src=desktop … How's that working out?

4/12/2013 2:13 pm  #5

Well not that I am defending GA here at all, but how is this working out for Dejan? 

• Will Suzie McConnell-Serio cross town to lead Pitt women's hoops now that Agnus Berenato's out?

Not from what I'm hearing. She's happy at Duquesne and has her heart set on getting the Dukes into the NCAA Tournament for the first time. And, odd as it sounds, Duquesne actually is in a better position than Pitt with better players and an easier schedule in the Atlantic 10.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3776170-74/pirates-kovacevic-penguins#ixzz2PasL8u5v
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

4/12/2013 2:18 pm  #6

We are just getting blasted every where in twitter.   Everywhere.   Please fire Mr. Amodio.  Please. 

4/12/2013 2:18 pm  #7

So much for Dejan's crystal ball!

4/12/2013 2:28 pm  #8

There's a big difference here. We all thought the same thing as Dejan on the Suzie move. How many agreed with Amodio when he started cutting sports. I recall a lot of uproar about it.

My take was that if it would benefit basketball, then OK.

No one sees the benefit yet. 

4/12/2013 2:45 pm  #9

ElDuque wrote:

There's a big difference here. We all thought the same thing as Dejan on the Suzie move. How many agreed with Amodio when he started cutting sports. I recall a lot of uproar about it.

True.   Just another day in Amodio land.  

4/12/2013 3:43 pm  #10

duqkurt wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

True.   Just another day in Amodio land.  

While there is plenty to bash GA about, this isn't one of them. When the big boys offer your coach more money, and a much better league, there is really very little that you can do. When only 2 non BCS schools got at large bids to the dance, that really had to tell Suzie how difficult it is to get anywhere at a school outside of the major conferences.

4/12/2013 3:52 pm  #11

It's true that Amodio cannot be criticized for her leaving, but he outright lied when he cut the men's minor sports, first saying it was to save money, then later admitting he had to keep the male/female scholarship ratio in line. That was all due to football, a boneheaded decision if there ever was one. Duquesne will never be a Division I power, and it has to be significantly more expensive on a dollars and cents level to maintain a football team than the minor mens sports that he cut. I have had students tell me that they look out their dorm windows to see if the football team is coming off the practice field when they are ready for dinner. If so, they skip dinner. The team is so wild in the cafeteria that they'd rather not eat. What kind of "student-athlete" is that? They never said that about the wrestlers, swimmers or other minor sports teams.

4/12/2013 4:37 pm  #12

LittleMan wrote:

It's true that Amodio cannot be criticized for her leaving, but he outright lied when he cut the men's minor sports, first saying it was to save money, then later admitting he had to keep the male/female scholarship ratio in line. That was all due to football, a boneheaded decision if there ever was one. Duquesne will never be a Division I power, and it has to be significantly more expensive on a dollars and cents level to maintain a football team than the minor mens sports that he cut. I have had students tell me that they look out their dorm windows to see if the football team is coming off the practice field when they are ready for dinner. If so, they skip dinner. The team is so wild in the cafeteria that they'd rather not eat. What kind of "student-athlete" is that? They never said that about the wrestlers, swimmers or other minor sports teams.

Personally, I wouldn't care if they got rid of football, but I'm pretty sure that getting rid of it would have to come from the very top, not the AD. BC is the one who really pushed to increase the emphasis on football, as he had been a football coach, and the football program was the one thing that BC did a very good job with. There are powerful people who would get very angry if the football program were eliminated, so it was the programs that few really care about that got the axe instead.

4/12/2013 5:54 pm  #13

More money, ACC, gets to stay in home town.............yep, must be Amodio's fault, that makes a lot of sense.

4/12/2013 5:57 pm  #14

I am no fan of football either, but I think you are right Duq81 and there are a lot of $$$ people behind it.  The one thing I guess you could say is that alot of those football players pay their own way so I guess that is a benefit to the school - just a thought.

4/12/2013 6:00 pm  #15

Mr. Brightside, did you see the pounding Duquesne is taking in the media today yet again.  Everyone is just laughing at Amodio and Duquesne.  

The man doesn't generate any positive publicity for Duquesne.  

4/12/2013 6:04 pm  #16

They can't get rid of football now.  To be Division 1, you have to have 6 men's sports (if one is football) and 8 womens sports.   Or you have to have a minimum of 7 men's varsity sports without football.  If they cut football they would have to add an additional two men's varsity sports to be terrible at and embarrass us with. 

4/12/2013 6:05 pm  #17

No I didn't by choice as I figured everything would be like as you say, but this Susie thing is nonsensical for the reason I noted above.  Let me also say this, look at any of these AD's and Coaches (Dixon, Pitt, USC) and in the world of social media they are constantly having to refute rumors out of no where and face the wrath of bloggers and radio call ins.  The whole Ferry thing to Hofstra was a joke too, but anyone can generate a rumor in the world we live in and then some media guy jumps on it just to stir the pot and get attention - unbelievable.  I can tell you I am glad to be in the private sector!!!

4/12/2013 6:26 pm  #18

MrBrightside wrote:

No I didn't by choice as I figured everything would be like as you say, but this Susie thing is nonsensical for the reason I noted above.  Let me also say this, look at any of these AD's and Coaches (Dixon, Pitt, USC) and in the world of social media they are constantly having to refute rumors out of no where and face the wrath of bloggers and radio call ins.  The whole Ferry thing to Hofstra was a joke too, but anyone can generate a rumor in the world we live in and then some media guy jumps on it just to stir the pot and get attention - unbelievable.  I can tell you I am glad to be in the private sector!!!

Dejan tweeted that DU could have kept SMS for more money.  Not necessarily matching Pitt. 

But what is occurring with the media now is beyond this. He has burned so many bridges that they all are just piling on.  There are two participants in ant relationship.  He has never helped himself or Duquesne.  

But we do get to host the NCAA tournament next year. 

Last edited by duqkurt (4/12/2013 6:26 pm)

4/12/2013 6:27 pm  #19

I think if Ferry leaves, Amodio is feeling the pressure. With Suzie, I think this was pretty inevitable and it will be inevitable in the future should Pitt want to poach our best coaches. Sadly, this is the reality.

4/12/2013 6:31 pm  #20

Whatever happened to saying "you can go anywhere, but there".  The Panthers have no problem telling Russel Shell where he can transfer to. 

Doesnt Amodio realize that we are just going to be screwed forever in womens bb now?

I'm sorry. I'm not as big a person as you all are.  I want SMS to fail big time.  

4/12/2013 6:40 pm  #21

duqkurt wrote:

Whatever happened to saying "you can go anywhere, but there".  The Panthers have no problem telling Russel Shell where he can transfer to. 

Doesnt Amodio realize that we are just going to be screwed forever in womens bb now?

I'm sorry. I'm not as big a person as you all are.  I want SMS to fail big time.  

We know what her record in big games at Duquesne was...

4/12/2013 6:47 pm  #22

True dat!   I will enjoy every spanking Duke gives her until the ACC breaks up. 

4/12/2013 6:51 pm  #23

I want Benedict serio to fail miserably at sPitt. I wouldn't have cared had she gone to any other school. This just leaves a bitter taste In my mouth. 

4/12/2013 7:04 pm  #24

I wonder if Bobby Mo fans rooted against Danny Nee?

4/12/2013 7:06 pm  #25

steve19981 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

I'm sorry. I'm
not as big a person as you all are.  I want SMS to fail big time.  

We know what her record in big games at Duquesne was...

i just thought of this. I finally got Steve to say something negative.  Welcome to the dark side my friend!!! 

Board footera