Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2018 12:20 pm  #1

We're playing in Akron.

Well that's a place I didn't have on my list of spots for the Radford game. Might be a good time to see a road game.

10/19/2018 1:23 pm  #2

Re: We're playing in Akron.

I plan to see my first Duke game!!  :-) 

KD may be keeping his recruing ties open. Also this will give some kids a game that is closer to home....and not a road game.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (10/19/2018 1:27 pm)

10/19/2018 2:03 pm  #3

Per Zach Weiss in an article for the Pittsburgh Sports Now,  KD wants to maintain his relationship
with Lebron  James by visiting the I Promise School that James started in Akron.

10/19/2018 2:48 pm  #4

Not only the Radford game, but all the Dukes' home games while the Palumbo is renovated. (Just kidding!)

10/20/2018 8:41 am  #5

Another smart move by the Dukes. Even if that Saturday game was played at Palumbo, there would be few students on campus since the Thanksgiving break starts the day before.

And I would guess that the Dukes would just continue west from Akron for their Tuesday Notre Dame game.

10/20/2018 9:23 am  #6

Would any other coach in Duquesne Basketball history get away with scheduling a home game in a high school gym located in another state?

Good move by KD to create some unique press coverage both in PGH and AKR.  Will he sleep at the team hotel or at his home in Akron?

10/20/2018 10:46 pm  #7

Where in Akron are they playing?  The thread seems to be missing the original story,  sorry if I missed it.

10/21/2018 8:22 am  #8

330Fan wrote:

Would any other coach in Duquesne Basketball history get away with scheduling a home game in a high school gym located in another state?

Good move by KD to create some unique press coverage both in PGH and AKR.  Will he sleep at the team hotel or at his home in Akron?

The only problem is the team won't get press coverage from the University of Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

10/21/2018 10:17 am  #9

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Where in Akron are they playing?  The thread seems to be missing the original story,  sorry if I missed it.

St Vincent - St Mary High School I believe.   The high school of LeBron.

10/21/2018 4:17 pm  #10

Sorry, I don't understand why this is a good decision to give up a home game.  🤔

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

10/21/2018 4:36 pm  #11

coffee wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand why this is a good decision to give up a home game.  🤔

Palumbo is hosting the Divison II Volleyball Championship in conjunction with the City of Pittsburgh.  It’s s three day tournament.  So they have to find another place to play. 

You aren’t going to rent PPG for Radford.   Pitt will never let us play there. 

So upon rethinking it is the best of an unfortunate situation.  But it will give the families of DU’s Michigan and Ohio players a short commute. And I think it is better than playing at a local high school gym and having the local media just shred us apart.

I’d imagine that someone made a mistake when agreeing on the date.   But it is water under the bridge.

Last edited by duqkurt (10/21/2018 4:41 pm)

10/21/2018 5:08 pm  #12

I don’t think there was a mistake by us.  Remember, this is part of the Gotham Classic and I am sure the dates were set in stone long ago.  Once we were invited it gave us 3 home games and a trip to Notre Dame.  So we lose one of those home dates.  Just the way it worked out.  Besides, maybe instead of at the high school it could be at Lebron’s school???   Doubt that we would use Akron U.    I guess we just stay tuned.

10/21/2018 5:37 pm  #13

duqkurt wrote:

coffee wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand why this is a good decision to give up a home game. 🤔

Palumbo is hosting the Divison II Volleyball Championship in conjunction with the City of Pittsburgh. It’s s three day tournament. So they have to find another place to play.

You aren’t going to rent PPG for Radford. Pitt will never let us play there.

So upon rethinking it is the best of an unfortunate situation. But it will give the families of DU’s Michigan and Ohio players a short commute. And I think it is better than playing at a local high school gym and having the local media just shred us apart.

I’d imagine that someone made a mistake when agreeing on the date. But it is water under the bridge.

Don't be so sure that Pitt would never let us play there. Grown people run these schools, and they don't act like fans do. I bet most of you would have refused to let Bobby Mo use Palumbo last year. The folks in charge don't think like that. When the powerhouse Dukes program of the 1950s suddenly found itself without a home, the folks at Pitt didn't see it as an opportunity to cut us off at the knees. Instead, they let us use their then modern facility (Fitzgerald Field House) as our home court for several years. Obviously, none of these schools are going to adjust their schedule to assist another school, but these folks are not out to screw each other. The leadership of the local schools is more intertwined than you think, and they are not out to do harm to each other.

10/21/2018 6:46 pm  #14

I can never have an opinion.

10/21/2018 6:48 pm  #15

The convention center used to have a basketball floor, didn't they?

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

10/21/2018 7:52 pm  #16

I think it is a great idea given that a home game is not possible. It gives the Ohio and Michigan kids a closer game wighout playing a true away game. It helps with recruiting. What some may be overlooking...it keeps the bond with LeBron strong.  That will really help longterm with recruuting. I am guessing there will a lot of positive national press from this game.

And lastly....I will get an easy game 

Go Dukes

10/21/2018 10:38 pm  #17

duqkurt wrote:

I can never have an opinion.

A bit thin skinned? Message boards are all about opinions, and debate. You don't quit because someone disagrees with you. Man, the Steelers message boards I post on play real rough. You'd really get your feelings hurt there.

10/22/2018 10:31 am  #18

The LeBron James Arena at St. Vincents in Akron is a small but very nice gym by high school standards.  LeBron donated $1M towards it's creation.  LeBron did not play at his high school gym during his junior and senior years, all of their home games were played at Rhodes Arena on the campus of the University of Akron.  I can't provide a link since I haven't passed your stupid rules on this antiquated fan board.  Google "LeBron James Arena Matterport 3d" and use the pro2 link.

10/22/2018 1:34 pm  #19

330Fan wrote:

The LeBron James Arena at St. Vincents in Akron is a small but very nice gym by high school standards.  LeBron donated $1M towards it's creation.  LeBron did not play at his high school gym during his junior and senior years, all of their home games were played at Rhodes Arena on the campus of the University of Akron.  I can't provide a link since I haven't passed your stupid rules on this antiquated fan board.  Google "LeBron James Arena Matterport 3d" and use the pro2 link.

Thanks for the info, 330Fan.
https://matterport.com/3d-space/lebron-james-arena/

10/26/2018 3:34 pm  #20

Much more impressive than the gym at NJIT the Dukes played at a few years ago...

10/29/2018 10:08 am  #21

That will be an "intimate" setting for a Div. I game, but good PR all around.

10/29/2018 10:36 am  #22

Dont like giving up home court to a quality team we might be able to beat, hopefully KD fans will show up and support our guys.  I wasnt going to be able to make it regardless, but will tune in however possible.  Looks like a nice facility.

10/29/2018 12:13 pm  #23

NorkaSpiz wrote:

Nice use of mirror image for your user name!

10/29/2018 12:45 pm  #24

330Fan wrote:

NorkaSpiz wrote:

Nice use of mirror image for your user name!

Thanks  Norka has been used a lot but generally not with Spiz 

Board footera