Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2018 12:17 pm  #1

Randall II transferring

Looks like he is transferring and was granted his release. Interesting timing of this. 

Last edited by DukefromDC (10/22/2018 12:37 pm)

10/22/2018 12:43 pm  #2

Re: Randall II transferring

should i be worried as to reasons why, because it may show some sort of structural problem that may cause others to transfer?

or should i not give a deuce?

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

10/22/2018 12:47 pm  #3

10/22/2018 12:49 pm  #4

I’m guessing this was a playing time issue. There are a lot of guards competing for a few spots.

10/22/2018 1:51 pm  #5

Well, that creates the space for Austin next year.

10/22/2018 1:55 pm  #6

townsonkid wrote:

Still need one more because of Ellis.

10/22/2018 2:12 pm  #7

1 junior
5 sophomores
7 freshmen

That means we need 2 next year unless I am missing something

10/22/2018 2:16 pm  #8

I think this says a lot about how much they like the freshmen guards.

10/22/2018 2:52 pm  #9

levon1975 wrote:

absolutely correct

10/22/2018 6:31 pm  #10

Since he already has transferred once and if he doesn’t go D2 will he have 1 year and graduate 5th year if goes D-1?

A diehard fan since 1961

10/22/2018 6:54 pm  #11

If he left because the other guards were better then that says a lot about the talent we have at the position. Plus another very talented guard coming next year.

10/22/2018 11:09 pm  #12

kcc173 wrote:

1 junior
5 sophomores
7 freshmen

That means we need 2 next year unless I am missing something

Ellis will be on scholarship next year.

10/22/2018 11:33 pm  #13

That was my point.  We currently have 13 as listed and next year Ellis and Austin get added

10/23/2018 5:38 am  #14

kcc173 wrote:

That was my point. We currently have 13 as listed and next year Ellis and Austin get added

We have 3 freshman point guards, and 4 freshman bigs. Probably one from each group will be a loser in the battle for playing time, and will look to find a better situation.

10/23/2018 5:49 am  #15

Phildog wrote:

Since he already has transferred once and if he doesn’t go D2 will he have 1 year and graduate 5th year if goes D-1?

You have to think he's going D2. He's academically a senior, so he only will have one year left after sitting out. It would make more sense to stay here and take whatever playing time he can get, and then grad transfer after the season. Maybe the NCAA rejected whatever sleight of hand they were doing with the roster, and told them they were one over the limit and had to reduce the roster by one. Just speculation, as it's really a mystery as to why a player would leave now. Of course there's always a chance that he broke some rule, and was basically asked to leave, and it was done this way as not to affect his chances to land somewhere else.

10/23/2018 6:20 am  #16

Interesting that I have only seen Sarah’s tweet (which was liked by Leonard himself) and no other reports. Really quiet for some fairly big news. But this coaching staff controls the flow of news better than any other I have seen at Duquesne.

10/23/2018 7:39 am  #17

https://m.facebook.com/100000163090234/posts/2397058333642913/

Interview with Craig/Leonard. The young man is struggling with some serious issues. Wishing nothing but the best for him.

10/23/2018 7:39 am  #18

ghost wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

absolutely correct

In light of there being no follow up report by the P.G. and no mention of this elsewhere I now suspect that my initial "information" ( while possibly true ) may not be the only reason for this action by Mr. Randall.

10/23/2018 8:25 am  #19

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

https://m.facebook.com/100000163090234/posts/2397058333642913/

Interview with Craig/Leonard. The young man is struggling with some serious issues. Wishing nothing but the best for him.

Great find... thank you, Phoenix.

Wish this kid the best

10/23/2018 9:16 am  #20

Powerful video. And it doesn't speak very glowingly about the program. Wishing Craig the best, and hoping the internal situation is dealt with harshly.

10/23/2018 12:57 pm  #21

Wow, there's a lot to digest there. My takeaways from the video:

-He was asked to leave, it wasn't his choice.
-Because of mental health issues that he had long tried to hide, he struggled to make the transition from Memphis to Duquesne while sitting out last year, including clashing with/telling off coaches and not going to class.
-He clashed in particular with one teammate, one who, in his words, could do no wrong in the coaches' eyes. That led to a bullying situation, including him being bullied for his mental health issues, that other players may or may not have participated in. I'm not quite clear on that point. The bullying reached the level of "stalking" and physical threats.
-Doesn't regret coming to Duquesne, says he grew a lot as a person from the experience, was forced to address personal issues he had long tried to hide/ignore, but doesn't seem too sad to be leaving either. Just the same, it was Duquesne's choice for him to leave, not his.
-If you really think this speaks volumes about how good the freshman guards are looking, well, I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm afraid there's a lot more going on here than that. 
-At the end of the day, it's just his word. Other players/coaches may tell a very different story about a disruptive teammate who clashed with other players and coaches and was killing the chemistry and unity of the team. I'm not holding my breath waiting to hear those accounts though. 

On a side note, Randle was involved with the season ticket delivery the week before last. So I'm thinking something very sudden and drastic must have happened in the last week or so that he was asked to leave the program. 

You have five years to complete four years of NCAA eligibility so he will either have to transfer to a D2 program or petition the NCAA for an extra year in 2020-21 or immediate eligibility for next year. Either way, he'd only get one more year of eligibility at the D1 level. And yes, we are still two scholarships over for next year, assuming there really are 13 scholarship players on the current active roster and James Ellis meets eligibility requirements for next year. That said, I expect more than two on the current roster will transfer. With Taylor, we still have 14 scholarship-level players on the active roster and I suspect there won't be a whole lot of playing time for at least 2-4 of them, this year or next year. I don't expect those kids to stick around.

10/23/2018 1:40 pm  #22

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Still need one more because of Ellis.

I'll hold off on Ellis until he has cleared all the challenges DU has for him first.  Hopefully he crushes the academics, and is ready to rock next year.  I dont think its a stretch to believe 1-2 guys will transfer out.  Just the way it is today.

10/23/2018 2:39 pm  #23

Wow!

10/23/2018 2:43 pm  #24

DennisC91 wrote:

Wow, there's a lot to digest there. My takeaways from the video:

-He was asked to leave, it wasn't his choice.
-Because of mental health issues that he had long tried to hide, he struggled to make the transition from Memphis to Duquesne while sitting out last year, including clashing with/telling off coaches and not going to class.
-He clashed in particular with one teammate, one who, in his words, could do no wrong in the coaches' eyes. That led to a bullying situation, including him being bullied for his mental health issues, that other players may or may not have participated in. I'm not quite clear on that point. The bullying reached the level of "stalking" and physical threats.
-Doesn't regret coming to Duquesne, says he grew a lot as a person from the experience, was forced to address personal issues he had long tried to hide/ignore, but doesn't seem too sad to be leaving either. Just the same, it was Duquesne's choice for him to leave, not his.
-If you really think this speaks volumes about how good the freshman guards are looking, well, I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm afraid there's a lot more going on here than that. 
-At the end of the day, it's just his word. Other players/coaches may tell a very different story about a disruptive teammate who clashed with other players and coaches and was killing the chemistry and unity of the team. I'm not holding my breath waiting to hear those accounts though. 

On a side note, Randle was involved with the season ticket delivery the week before last. So I'm thinking something very sudden and drastic must have happened in the last week or so that he was asked to leave the program. 

You have five years to complete four years of NCAA eligibility so he will either have to transfer to a D2 program or petition the NCAA for an extra year in 2020-21 or immediate eligibility for next year. Either way, he'd only get one more year of eligibility at the D1 level. And yes, we are still two scholarships over for next year, assuming there really are 13 scholarship players on the current active roster and James Ellis meets eligibility requirements for next year. That said, I expect more than two on the current roster will transfer. With Taylor, we still have 14 scholarship-level players on the active roster and I suspect there won't be a whole lot of playing time for at least 2-4 of them, this year or next year. I don't expect those kids to stick around.

The kid has some serious issues, and needs to get himself well.  Several conflicting comments in this interview, and I agree that we may never know the complete story.  I wish him well, but believe it is for the best for him and the team.  Just in passing, I don't think Randall was ever on scholarship (I think he was the mystery player who was paying his own way).  We were and are at scholarship limit for last year and this year.

10/23/2018 3:27 pm  #25

I hope this doesn't turn into something ugly. Those are some heavy duty accusations in today's world. 

The young man seems to have had a hard time. I wish him good fortune on his quest for mental health. I hope that & a good education are his main priorities while basketball takes a back seat.

I found it striking how fluidly he was able to say his piece. Very few ers, ahs, & ums.

The cynic in me can't help thinking this interview was a setup for future legal action against the university. It seems too large a coincidence that this was posted in the same news cycle as the renovation project to have been unintentional.

My stongest hope is that he wasn't really bullied. That would be very disappointing.

Board footera