Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2018 11:45 am  #1

Game Day - TCU

The Dukes are in Texas to take on two Big XII teams. Tough, tough games. Dan has always said he will play anyone, anywhere. Good luck to the women!

11/06/2018 12:12 pm  #2

Re: Game Day - TCU

It appears you can stream the game for free from TCU's athletic website

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/06/2018 1:05 pm  #4

Anybody successfully able to watch? Stream isn't working at the work computer or on my phone

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/06/2018 1:36 pm  #5

Watching. Dukes off to poor start. Shooting 3-15 in first quarter. Currently down 18-13 with 4+ to go on second.

TCU 27-18 at half. Bad shooting day (24%). Lots of turnovers - double digits.

Last edited by HookShot (11/06/2018 2:00 pm)

11/06/2018 3:19 pm  #6

Dukes miss the wake-up call and get handled easily in the matinee game; 61-48.  Apparently pretty sloppy play; but the Dukes fell behind early never recovered!  Looking at an 0-2 start with the Dukes at Texas next.  It could get uglier than this one; but I hope not!

11/06/2018 3:42 pm  #7

After watching the TCU game, my immediate evaluation of this season's team is as follows:

The Dukes may indeed perform well against most of their A10 opponents, but today they struggled offensively and defensively against a team with superior length and quickness on the perimeter preventing Duquesne to manufacture much offense, along with size and athleticism in the post, where TCU had no trouble getting the ball into their bigs and Duquesne gave up way too many point blank baskets.

I am certainly no coach, but I have seen far less talented teams than Duquesne employ nasty match-up zones, making life difficult against bigger, more athletic opponents.  Without the quickness on the perimeter, it's just too easy for such opponents to run their offense.   

Hope for some changes.  Go Dukes!

11/06/2018 4:31 pm  #8

Not a real good start to the season .  Oh well on to Texas.  

Let's hope their ladies team is like most of the other high profile athletic programs at Texas - Football , Men's hoops , Baseball - ( Whole lotta hype not quite the results - hahaha !!!! ) . 

With today's result this game becomes mucho imporante. DU can't afford too many OOC losses( 3 Maximum ??? )  if they want any chance to make the NCAA tourney ( Unless they plan on winning the conference tournament ).

Sperlman - you seemed tuned in >> Is coach Burt flexible enough to change his coaching philosophy , or is he relatively inflexible in player usage , offensive / defensive philosophy to the point that he is gonna do what he always does no matter the results ??  Sort of "just play harder , and with minimal adjustments we will be able to overcome physical mismatches ".

11/06/2018 5:46 pm  #9

I have known Dan for years and I love him.  Second, his overall record as a coach speaks for itself.  Third, he knows his players better than I ever will- knows their strengths, abilities, weaknesses, etc.

It seems the offense that Assistant Coach Matt employed runs the same way, season after season, no matter what the talent level is.  Unless you have guards who are physical enough and can drive to the basket (we've had some in previous years), and Conor is the lone guard who can do it, Duquesne becomes more one-dimensional - meaning it's much harder getting the ball into our post players - and Duquesne has to work harder to manufacture points, which is what happened today.  Kadri-Ann and Laia were aggressive when they got the ball and I liked Laia's game today.  There will be nights when Laia will put up big numbers.  The problem is consistently getting them the ball and when our guards are not penetrating, that task becomes more difficult. 

I have not seen many changes, defensively as well.  I have never talked with Dan about it, but I don't think he is a fan of playing zone.  TCU had no difficulty getting the ball into their posts for easy scores.  Aggressive match-up zones can be one way to counter another team's superior quickness, size and athleticism.  There is a semi-zone we seem to play in the post, but it's not effective against a team like TCU.  I wish we could be more flexible on defense.

On a hopeful note, the would have been a lot closer had the Dukes hit a number of wide open mid-range shots in the first and second quarters.

11/06/2018 9:38 pm  #10

After watching the game, I have to agree with Sperlman’s assessments. The Dukes were very passive on Defense and were hesitant on Offense. I wonder about the lineup that Dan started. It was not a particularly good unit. Other than Chassidy and Kadri, there was no offensive punch and the team was really small. From today (and one game a season does not make), it appears that Laia and Kadri must play major, major minutes. Eni was definitely missed. Angela needs to get minutes also when she is ready. At guard, Chassidy, Nina and Amanda gave some spark. Libby was OK but she must contribute more offensively. Juca, Connor, and Paige did not play like veterans today. Looking for better things, but I hope that some line-up changes occur.

Ghost, I thought 9-4 was where we would be OCC. Then 13 in Conference at a minimum.

11/07/2018 1:50 pm  #11

One point about the defense -  While he IS the Head Coach -  Rachel Wojdowski is in charge of the defense -  Don't know how much of the decision of whether to play man-to-man, zone , press or what is her decision.  During time outs - she DOES have a good deal of input - same for Schmidt with the offense. 

While she was not at the Dukes and Dogs day THIS Year - she was there LAST year and instead of her running one team (White/Grey Sweats)  She worked with BOTH TEAMS during the stoppages on Defense will Schmidt worked with BOTH TEAMS on offense.

Texas is a potential Final 4 team -  Syracuse (whom they play in a tournament) is #13 in some early rankings

11/07/2018 4:08 pm  #12

With all of the concern I've been reading about defense against TCU, they only gave up 61 points!  If the Dukes have even an average shooting day, they are right in the game, and have a chance to win.  I like our chances in most games if we surrender only 61 points.

Board footera