Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2018 11:46 am  #1

Texas Trip Lesson

The two Texas teams overwhelmed the Dukes with their athleticism. Texas showed why they are a Top Ten team with their pace of play. The Dukes offense in the first half was frustrated to the point that they had ball movement problems and practically every shot was forced. Only Kadri gave the Dukes points. Players we depend on were benched in the second half with only Libby and Amanda adding anything offensively. Texas was into their offense before we were set-up defensively far too many times. To get closer to Texas, the Dukes must operate at a much faster tempo. I still expect us to win the A10. But key to that is tempo - the team must be faster at what they do. The season starts again Monday. Go Dukes! Both literally and figuratively!

Last edited by HookShot (11/09/2018 11:50 am)

11/09/2018 1:14 pm  #2

Re: Texas Trip Lesson

I didn't see either of the games in Texas, but I questioned the wisdom of playing those two games since the schedule became public.  In women's basketball specifically there is such a huge gap between the top 20 or so Power Five Conference powerhouses and a decent non Power 5 team such as Duquesne.  I doubt there was  big payday, for the sake of getting blasted in the first two games of the season given that there isn't a lot of money in Women's basketball, I doubt that there was a financial windfall. If anyone can refute the finances, I'll stand corrected on that point.   
Beyond that, I just don't see the sense in playing teams that are so superior athletically that you can't even compete.  If you can't even get into your offense or half-court defense, it just has no benefit.  I don't imagine it can help the confidence level of the team when you see how large the gap is between your senior-laden team and the opponents roster.  Perhaps some non P-5 teams are constructed in such a manner as to match up a little better with the best of P-5, but I don't think the makeup of the Duquesne team, at present, can compete at that level.  Even within the A-10 the Dukes are not particularly large, at the 4-5 spots, and not the most athletic from 1-5.   The Dukes have to shoot the ball well to beat the best teams in the A-10 and team like Texas just aren't going to allow that to happen.  Since RPI is no longer a factor in terms of NCAA selection, it makes even less sense.

11/09/2018 1:33 pm  #3

TCU and Texas possess too much athleticism for Duquesne to compete with - using their standard offensive sets and defensive strategies.

Duquesne's offense works extremely well against teams with comparable athleticism- which represents most of the teams in the A10.  The offense falls apart when the other team is bigger, quicker and simply more athletic.

I am NOT a coach, but have said this many times; if the goal is to COMPETE, you have to be willing to adjust.  Two nights ago, I saw an undersized, less athletic UC Davis team (who won their conference last season), compete for 2 quarters against #7 ranked Stanford- much bigger, more athletic, stronger, quicker, and more talented, before Stanford finally wore them out.  Stanford won 71-43 (a blowout), BUT UC Davis competed for two quarters because they used slightly different sets (offensively and defensively) than they use against their conference opponents.

We have a very skilled team, but I would like to see some flexibility (so we can at least compete), when we go up against more athletic and talented teams like Texas and TCU. 

11/09/2018 3:01 pm  #4

Lesson learned, IMO, dont do that anymore.

11/10/2018 8:11 am  #5

Coach Burt was quite explicit in his reasoning for scheduling the games:
1. They help our RPI.
2. They prepare our players better for the A10.
3. When we make the NCAAs, we'll be better prepared for the level of quality.

Go Dukes!

11/10/2018 1:43 pm  #6

Agree with your first two points, although scheduling teams with good - great RPI (and losing significantly) does not necessarily give you an NCAA at large bid.

Disagree with last point.  Unless adjustments are made, the result will be the same.

Go Dukes!

11/10/2018 4:25 pm  #7

Or, as I might have meant it, going against "step up" teams won't be a shock to the system. ;o)

11/11/2018 3:23 pm  #8

Good discussion and points all around. I don't know if it is a revenue trip for Women's program but if Coach Burt thinks it was right thing to do then I am inclined to support it. I understand your point too Townsenkid and no doubt there is greater disparities in WBB than perhaps all college sports programs but maybe the games exposed the program to some talented Texas players and will help the Coaches recognize recruiting needs to get to a higher level . Again thanks for all the posts

11/11/2018 8:22 pm  #9

I guess there are a few ways to look at it. If we consider football, there is probably just as large a disparity from the top of FCS to the Dukes level, but that doesn't stop the Dukes from going to YSU or even playing an FBS team as we did with Hawaii or Buffalo. We know what that is, and it's really the conference games that matter.

The A10 hasn't gotten much more than a bid, occasionally two, the last several years, isn't that right? Here, just as with football, it's really more about how they do in conference. Not that the women can afford to tank the OOC either, but these two games against higher level opponents probably don't matter a whole lot. The real thing is that they need to be ready for teams like Dayton. 

Last edited by Face (11/11/2018 8:22 pm)

11/11/2018 10:12 pm  #10

It does matter because the A-10 gets multiple bids every year; so getting thumped in your first two games against quality opponents in my opinion doesn’t improve your chances of getting a bid. 

Football is much different as it is a big money sport, in which teams will pay Duquesne handsomely to travel and get thumped by FBS team.

11/12/2018 2:00 am  #11

Yeah but you basically have to win the conference regular season or the tournament to get there. They don’t even always get two, in 2017 the A10 had just one representative for example.

Of course, the league did have three teams go in 2015 I believe. Still that’s far from assured. Three bids was more common when we had Xavier and Tenple in the league. Ever since the shakeup it’s mostly been two but sometimes one.

Last edited by Face (11/12/2018 2:05 am)

Board footera