Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH!, the Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fans Message Board!!!!
One of America's Great Message Boards


You know the rules, all inappropriate messages will be deleted!


PLEASE POST LINKS TO NEWSPAPER STORIES



UPCOMING GAMES

November 2019



Duquesne Women's basketball


November 2019

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



1/10/2019 10:55 am  #26


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

Haven't posted and in awhile and thought I would give some thoughts.

- Love Sincere Carry - he is going to be a great player.  Continue to play him and let him develop. 
- Amari Kelly showing signs of development and I think needs to continue to receive more playing time.
-  Eric Williams - when he gets a double-double it seems automatic the Duquesne wins - can never complain about this kid.
-  Would like to see Norman Jr and/or Wade a little more at time over Dunn-Martin.  I think Dunn-Martin is a great spark plug off the bench but think he is playing a little to much - just my thoughts.  This also isn't a knock on Dunn-Martin - I just rather see the more talented kids play equal minutes to him.

I have had this debate before about attendance - being a student for undergraduate and graduate I attended many game from 2004-10.  My fraternity also did - but we had a lot of basketball fans at the time in our fraternity.

First things first - they need to WIN - a lot of these close game they need to win - especially against schools students know.  The non-casual basketball fan doesn't care about St. Francis or Fordham BUT winning against a Notre Dame, Penn State or Pitt they recognize.  And they had the lead and probably should have won both Notre Dame and Penn State.  Just my thoughts.  A win at Davidson would have been HUGE.

And my second gripe - the game time - for example last night at 8:00 PM is just plan stupid.  Why the women's game before the men's?  The game should have been played at 7:00 PM,  With work I would have gone to the game had it been 7:00 PM - I leave at 5:30 PM - head downtown - grab a bite to eat and go to the game.  At 8:00 PM I am home and not going back out downtown.  It might sound like I am nit-picking but I honestly think that is stupid - the Men's Game should take precedence over the Women. 

 

1/10/2019 11:25 am  #27


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

The Fordham second chance points really hurt us.  What I saw was one Fordham player surrounded by four DU players consistently out jumping and tipping the ball out to their guards.  This was as much on our guards not in position and not hustling as it was on our bigs not getting the rebounds.

Game ball to Eric no question, but shout out to Weathers and Kelly.  Unforced turnovers hurt us again. Sometimes we need to slow down and play more under control to value each possessions and work our offense.  Growing process.  

Last edited by CLK (1/10/2019 11:27 am)

 

1/10/2019 11:34 am  #28


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

To state the obvious, attendance generally is only going to improve by winning and winning against quality opponents. I dont think there will be much improvement this year unless they win several games in a row or are in a position at the end of the year to win the A10. I wonder though about what is done on campus to get the student body to the games. Has anybody seen Gormley at a game this year? I remember seeing him last year and he was really getting into the game.

 

1/10/2019 11:41 am  #29


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

1111 Vickroy wrote:

To state the obvious, attendance generally is only going to improve by winning and winning against quality opponents. I dont think there will be much improvement this year unless they win several games in a row or are in a position at the end of the year to win the A10. I wonder though about what is done on campus to get the student body to the games. Has anybody seen Gormley at a game this year? I remember seeing him last year and he was really getting into the game.

Student attendance is an issue at almost every college across the country.  It will take time.  Winning and a new arena may solve the problem.  I hope WIFI and other student friendly amenities will be available at the new arena.
 

 

1/10/2019 12:04 pm  #30


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

applecorps wrote:

Very concerning to see M. Hughes after Eric's great play late in the game.  Michael was on the bench and got really enthused and then seemed to almost collapse, with somebody helping to prop him up. Understand that he has asthma issues on top of orthopedic ones, but that was a bit disturbing to see. 

Hoping it was some flu or some anomaly. He is a very talented and highly motivated kid and I hope he is all right.

I realize that it's hard to keep up with modern trends and stuff, and Mike is absolutely banged up, but that's hilarious


I hate myself for loving you.

Don't say I'm getting older cuz I'll say it when I do.
 

1/10/2019 12:07 pm  #31


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

Dsnyder15 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Weathers takes a lot of heat, but when he gets the ball, the offense actually sort of works. He's either going in the lane for a layup, or passing out to someone with a look. Sincere drives and kicks too, but Weathers was making things happen last night.
 

Keep in mind that with modest improvement Weathers can be an adequate back-up for us.  We would have smoked Fordham if that "tool" KD would relegate Weathers to the bench and bring him in for knuckle dragging, head knocking 3-4 minutes.  Maybe next game.....
 

DS: that was not my quote. That was mm76.

 

1/10/2019 12:11 pm  #32


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

yak-rbc wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Very concerning to see M. Hughes after Eric's great play late in the game.  Michael was on the bench and got really enthused and then seemed to almost collapse, with somebody helping to prop him up. Understand that he has asthma issues on top of orthopedic ones, but that was a bit disturbing to see. 

Hoping it was some flu or some anomaly. He is a very talented and highly motivated kid and I hope he is all right.

I realize that it's hard to keep up with modern trends and stuff, and Mike is absolutely banged up, but that's hilarious

The announcers said he seemed to be fainting, so I assumed they knew what they were talking about. Okay, so next time that happens, I'll be hip to the new trend.

 

1/10/2019 12:14 pm  #33


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

I too wish we destroyed Fordham by 15 or so, and we never did "put the game away late" but I think a win is a win here. Last year we were kinda pleased with having 7 conference wins and somehow Fordham at home was not one of them.

Great games from Amari and Eric. Amari played only 23 minutes but was a +15,by far the best +/- of the night.

Weathers was also solid and B-Wade played 7 minutes of Mistake free basketball, which was great to see

I disagree with the poster above about TDM. It's hard to *always* be the sparkplug coming off the bench, but he is what we hoped ML2 would be in a way when he hit his rut--the 6th man coming off the bench to do damage. More consistently than anyone on the team so far does TDM come off the bench and add energy and offense. Not the best game yesterday, but he was perfect from the line again and had 5 Assists.

Way under the radar Stat - only 14 team fouls yesterday. Frankie was the only player with 3. I thought it was so bone headed when we fouled Fordham with about 15 seconds to play and I look up... And we had 2 fouls to give


I hate myself for loving you.

Don't say I'm getting older cuz I'll say it when I do.
 

1/10/2019 12:16 pm  #34


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

applecorps wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Very concerning to see M. Hughes after Eric's great play late in the game.  Michael was on the bench and got really enthused and then seemed to almost collapse, with somebody helping to prop him up. Understand that he has asthma issues on top of orthopedic ones, but that was a bit disturbing to see. 

Hoping it was some flu or some anomaly. He is a very talented and highly motivated kid and I hope he is all right.

I realize that it's hard to keep up with modern trends and stuff, and Mike is absolutely banged up, but that's hilarious

The announcers said he seemed to be fainting, so I assumed they knew what they were talking about. Okay, so next time that happens, I'll be hip to the new trend.

Ahh, that explains it more.


I hate myself for loving you.

Don't say I'm getting older cuz I'll say it when I do.
 

1/10/2019 12:18 pm  #35


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

yak-rbc wrote:

I too wish we destroyed Fordham by 15 or so, and we never did "put the game away late" but I think a win is a win here. Last year we were kinda pleased with having 7 conference wins and somehow Fordham at home was not one of them.

Great games from Amari and Eric. Amari played only 23 minutes but was a +15,by far the best +/- of the night.

Weathers was also solid and B-Wade played 7 minutes of Mistake free basketball, which was great to see

I disagree with the poster above about TDM. It's hard to *always* be the sparkplug coming off the bench, but he is what we hoped ML2 would be in a way when he hit his rut--the 6th man coming off the bench to do damage. More consistently than anyone on the team so far does TDM come off the bench and add energy and offense. Not the best game yesterday, but he was perfect from the line again and had 5 Assists.

Way under the radar Stat - only 14 team fouls yesterday. Frankie was the only player with 3. I thought it was so bone headed when we fouled Fordham with about 15 seconds to play and I look up... And we had 2 fouls to give

I had that exact same reaction on that last foul. Turned  out to be a pretty smart foul.

 

1/10/2019 12:19 pm  #36


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

GAME TIME

I think it’s good that there is a double header beginning with the girl’s game, but I would move everything up 1/2 hour.  Starting the men’s at exactly 7:30 wouldn’t have been a big deal since the 7:00 games usually start a few minutes after that at times.  But 8:00 is definitely too late for a program that can’t get folks there.  With that said, the damn venue is right on campus and if the students came, that 8:00 start time is probably a good one.  The students could eat after class. Do some studying, and then get to the game.  I also agree that over the years, we tend to Lose the “big close” games we play.  We “should” have some folks there Saturday.  pitt is playing away, there definitely aren’t any football games and the Pens are away.

COME ON ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT - GET THE STUDENTS THERE!!!

Last edited by FAM (1/10/2019 12:20 pm)

 

1/10/2019 12:20 pm  #37


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

applecorps wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Weathers takes a lot of heat, but when he gets the ball, the offense actually sort of works. He's either going in the lane for a layup, or passing out to someone with a look. Sincere drives and kicks too, but Weathers was making things happen last night.
 

Keep in mind that with modest improvement Weathers can be an adequate back-up for us.  We would have smoked Fordham if that "tool" KD would relegate Weathers to the bench and bring him in for knuckle dragging, head knocking 3-4 minutes.  Maybe next game.....
 

DS: that was not my quote. That was mm76.

Apologies.  It was sarcasm of another posters quote...I just used your compliment of Weathers as a chance to unload.  Peace.

 

1/10/2019 12:29 pm  #38


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

CLK wrote:

The Fordham second chance points really hurt us.  What I saw was one Fordham player surrounded by four DU players consistently out jumping and tipping the ball out to their guards.  This was as much on our guards not in position and not hustling as it was on our bigs not getting the rebounds.

Game ball to Eric no question, but shout out to Weathers and Kelly.  Unforced turnovers hurt us again. Sometimes we need to slow down and play more under control to value each possessions and work our offense.  Growing process.  

 

1/10/2019 12:29 pm  #39


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

Dsnyder15 wrote:

1111 Vickroy wrote:

To state the obvious, attendance generally is only going to improve by winning and winning against quality opponents. I dont think there will be much improvement this year unless they win several games in a row or are in a position at the end of the year to win the A10. I wonder though about what is done on campus to get the student body to the games. Has anybody seen Gormley at a game this year? I remember seeing him last year and he was really getting into the game.

Student attendance is an issue at almost every college across the country.  It will take time.  Winning and a new arena may solve the problem.  I hope WIFI and other student friendly amenities will be available at the new arena.
 

I saw him at W&M or UIC game, but not since.  But I'm not looking for him.

As for new arena, does anyone know if there is a plan to have a walkway from the garage to the arena?  I dont care about walking 100 yards outside at night when its 20 degrees and snowing, but some people do.  A small walkway, which DU has some of already, would add a nice touch to show fans they appreciate and care about them, and its a lot safer when sidewalks are iced over.

 

1/10/2019 12:34 pm  #40


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

CLK wrote:

The Fordham second chance points really hurt us.  What I saw was one Fordham player surrounded by four DU players consistently out jumping and tipping the ball out to their guards.  This was as much on our guards not in position and not hustling as it was on our bigs not getting the rebounds.

Game ball to Eric no question but shout out to Weathers and Kelly.  Unforced turnovers hurt us again. Sometimes we need to slow down and play more under control to value each possessions and work our offense.  Growing process.  

This is what I saw last night and agree with you CLK especially about the guards! I  would advocate for more effort from guards and more KT to remedy opponents 2nd chance opportunities. I would like to make sure that the shout out to Kelly is a loud one and agree overall with you on this growth process!

 

1/10/2019 12:49 pm  #41


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

Unless they counted the people that bought tickets for the Women's game as well as seats sold for the Men's game  (attendance for the WBB game was listed at 617), this was the third highest attended game of the season behind PSU and W & M at 2,211 which is a half full Palumbo. I actually thought there was more of a crowd than what I would've expected.

Hopefully we get some more people for Saturday's game against what you'd think would be a desperate St Joe's squad and play better than last night. Coach certainly wasn't pleased judging by the post game presser.

 

1/10/2019 12:55 pm  #42


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

Dukes2012 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

I too wish we destroyed Fordham by 15 or so, and we never did "put the game away late" but I think a win is a win here. Last year we were kinda pleased with having 7 conference wins and somehow Fordham at home was not one of them.

Great games from Amari and Eric. Amari played only 23 minutes but was a +15,by far the best +/- of the night.

Weathers was also solid and B-Wade played 7 minutes of Mistake free basketball, which was great to see

I disagree with the poster above about TDM. It's hard to *always* be the sparkplug coming off the bench, but he is what we hoped ML2 would be in a way when he hit his rut--the 6th man coming off the bench to do damage. More consistently than anyone on the team so far does TDM come off the bench and add energy and offense. Not the best game yesterday, but he was perfect from the line again and had 5 Assists.

Way under the radar Stat - only 14 team fouls yesterday. Frankie was the only player with 3. I thought it was so bone headed when we fouled Fordham with about 15 seconds to play and I look up... And we had 2 fouls to give

I had that exact same reaction on that last foul. Turned out to be a pretty smart foul.

The fact that they hadn't reached 7 fouls yet made it a good play-stopping move.

 

1/10/2019 1:11 pm  #43


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

I was in attendance and there is no way there were over 2000 people there last night.

 

1/10/2019 1:14 pm  #44


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

I was audio only & listening via the Ray & JD feed.  The stat line had TDM @ 1-7 FG.  That surprised me.

Question for anyone who was in person & observed:
Were those open looks? Contested? Good shot selection decisions? Just an off night/lid on the rim?

 

1/10/2019 1:17 pm  #45


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

Bsduq2008 wrote:

And my second gripe - the game time - for example last night at 8:00 PM is just plan stupid.  Why the women's game before the men's?  The game should have been played at 7:00 PM,  With work I would have gone to the game had it been 7:00 PM - I leave at 5:30 PM - head downtown - grab a bite to eat and go to the game.  At 8:00 PM I am home and not going back out downtown.  It might sound like I am nit-picking but I honestly think that is stupid - the Men's Game should take precedence over the Women. 

I agree on the game time for the same reason.  I have no problem trying to promote the women's team.  I try to support them when I can including directing some of my donation to the program when I donate.  But 8 PM didn't work for me last night and doesn't on most nights.  And so I couldn't make the game.

Moving times around is understandable for a number of reasons but for those working or on another schedule consistent times are often better.  I am glad that they seem to avoid the conflict with the Pens games though unlike previous years.

 

1/10/2019 1:56 pm  #46


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

Box & One wrote:

I was audio only & listening via the Ray & JD feed.  The stat line had TDM @ 1-7 FG.  That surprised me.

Question for anyone who was in person & observed:
Were those open looks? Contested? Good shot selection decisions? Just an off night/lid on the rim?

At least 3 of the 3s, including the make, were the exact same--kick-out to the corner on a dribble drive, at least reasonably open each time. I think that's his "spot". Can't immediately recall the others, but I'm remembering just an off night and not poor shot selection


I hate myself for loving you.

Don't say I'm getting older cuz I'll say it when I do.
 

1/10/2019 2:09 pm  #47


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

For those of you that point out the 8:00 game start I am in complete agreement.  Myself and two other season ticket holders didn't go given that start time.  We would have went if it were the typical 7:00 start.  As bsDuq2008 said, by 8:00 he is home and not going back out.  I work in town as do my two buddies and we weren't going to hand around for 2 1/2 hours to go to the game, nor would we drive home and then drive back into town - just saying.  A 7:00 start allows for a cocktail or two, something to eat and then game time.  Hopefully no more of these doubleheaders at these time slots. 

 

1/10/2019 2:19 pm  #48


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

Now as to the game, Lamar Norman needs more minutes, especially when we are struggling to score - which was basically almost the first 10 minutes of the game.  TDM is a good spark and an agitating defender, but I have little tolerance for 1-7 from the floor when Norman is sitting on the pine.  Other than that the game was hard to watch for a large part of it.  Thankfully EW made the difference when it counted in the last few minutes.  Kelly played well and Weathers had his moments and seemed more poised and under control, but he doesn't seem to really elevate, which is why you see him double pump when going to the hoop.   

 

1/10/2019 3:09 pm  #49


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

PistolPete wrote:

For those of you that point out the 8:00 game start I am in complete agreement.  Myself and two other season ticket holders didn't go given that start time.  We would have went if it were the typical 7:00 start.  As bsDuq2008 said, by 8:00 he is home and not going back out.  I work in town as do my two buddies and we weren't going to hand around for 2 1/2 hours to go to the game, nor would we drive home and then drive back into town - just saying.  A 7:00 start allows for a cocktail or two, something to eat and then game time.  Hopefully no more of these doubleheaders at these time slots. 

Banker's hours, Pete?

Just kidding. It's never a good thing to mess with starting times. I imagine there were some disgruntled souls who didn't know about the change and showed up at 6:30 and decided to go home, rather than wait until 8. Later start on a week night might also keep parents from bringing their kids.

And we know students would be too tired to return to their dorms to dive into those organic chem texts! 

But in the end it was a good win and Duquesne Nation is happy today. As Mulder said, Hail to Duquesne!

 

 

1/10/2019 3:19 pm  #50


Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

Last Night’s Attendance:  I agree, there was no way there were over 2,000 humans there.  Maybe they did add the folks from the first game, along with the players, coaches, etc.

On a related note, I have seen a Priest at times behind the Duquesne Bench which I think is awesome.  Does anyone know who he is...how it started?
Thanks.

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

LINKS


DUQUESNE SITES



  • The Point Of Pittsburgh
  • Pittsburgh Sports Now