Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2019 10:00 am  #1

Fight Song

The Duquesne fight song, i believe, is the best in college sports. My observation is this: why do they play it after a lousy first half (Rhode  island) or a loss? At the end of that disheartening game the other night the band robotically ripped into the fight song. Its like giving the loser a trophy to make him feel good

2/08/2019 10:44 am  #2

Re: Fight Song

1111 Vickroy wrote:

The Duquesne fight song, i believe, is the best in college sports.

Looks like someone has never watched an Ohio St./Michigan game!  (just funnin!)

2/08/2019 11:13 am  #3

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

2/08/2019 11:44 am  #4

Is there a good version online anywhere?  I googled and came up with some bad version from what sounds like a parade.

2/08/2019 12:25 pm  #5

townsonkid wrote:

Is there a good version online anywhere?  I googled and came up with some bad version from what sounds like a parade.

I'm guessing it's this: http://fightmusic.com/mp3/fcs/fcs_nec/Duquesne__The_Victory_Song.mp3 which is actually just an audio version of the youtube video from the 2010 Labor Day Parade found here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3c_w5Ik4Bs

That was the only version I could find for a long time, but I recently found a clean recording here: http://www.myduquesne.duq.edu/s/831/images/editor_media/FightSong.mp3

I was searching for a link to play it for my daughters to get pumped for this season. It's a shame it's so buried. The lyrics are easy to find, but finding an actual recording of it should be much easier.

2/08/2019 4:48 pm  #6

I have a recording the old pep band did in a studio at the music school I can put up. I also have a few lesser known DU songs.

It’s the same version we use at the beginning of the podcast.

2/08/2019 5:34 pm  #7

Face wrote:

I have a recording the old pep band did in a studio at the music school I can put up. I also have a few lesser known DU songs.

I’d like to hear it, and would love to hear some of the older songs too. Any chance you have any video or audio of shoo-shoo rah-rah? As a 2004 alum, the only time I’ve ever heard it is by the Dukes cheerleaders in the history section of the website.

2/08/2019 5:41 pm  #8

I definitely think it is underrated as far as fight songs go! Dont know where it came from but the NCAA played a great version at FCS  playoffs at Johnny Unitas stadium as Dukes came out of the locker room to begin the game Truly had players and fans clapping and pumped up!

2/08/2019 5:53 pm  #9

I hope none of you were members, but the version that sticks in my mind is by the late 70s pep band, which to put it mildly, was dreadful, mostly due to lack of numbers.

2/08/2019 6:06 pm  #10

I love the fight song.   They don’t play it enough.  Only they enter the court and at 1/2 time and at the end of the game.

This has bugged we over the years.   When DU goes on a run and the other team calls timeout, Dom goes into announcements.    I understand the announcements are necessary promos and the school tells him when to read them.  But the promos kill whatever crowd noise/ momentum there is. 

In the second half, when DU goes on a run forcing a TO from the other team.   The pep band shoiuld immediately go into the Fight Song.  Play it once, get people clapping and then go into the announcements.  Lots of school do it that way.  Watch a Pitt game and you will hear their fight song playing going into a commercial.   And I’m sure they fit in their sponser annoucements.

They also need to come up with some organized cheer at a break.   The one the cheerleaders & dance team does with the flags and “Go Dukes” has all the energy of a funeral procession.

2/08/2019 6:18 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

I hope none of you were members, but the version that sticks in my mind is by the late 70s pep band, which to put it mildly, was dreadful, mostly due to lack of numbers.

When I was at DU 79-83, we didn’t have a pep band.  Vince Lashide (sp?) organist for the Pens and Pirates played the arena organ.   My final year they brought it back and they played at a few conference games. 

I remember a game against WVU I can’t remember what year.   They brought their entire marching band and played from the end zone seats.   I’m talking like 300 members.  It was insane and it was like a WVU home game.   

DU never let another band in the arena or Palumbo after that except for City Game.   I read somewhere after an Dayton/X Gabe incident in some game that the NCAA now prohibits visiting cheerleaders and bands from attending road regular season games.   

And you need permission for both teams to have cheerleaders and bands at neutral site rivalry games.

2/08/2019 6:21 pm  #12

duq81 wrote:

I'll echo your sentiments and hope nobody here was part of it, but it couldn't have been as bad as the early 2000s. The "band" was seriously like 4 people, one of which was an electric bass, including amp that he carried around with him. They might have been the only thing worse than the Darrelle Porter teams.

2/08/2019 9:02 pm  #13

luckymcd wrote:

Face wrote:

I’d like to hear it, and would love to hear some of the older songs too. Any chance you have any video or audio of shoo-shoo rah-rah? As a 2004 alum, the only time I’ve ever heard it is by the Dukes cheerleaders in the history section of the website.

Yeah I can do that. This was the pep band circa 2006, when it ran like a jazz band. It was pretty solid. I’ll get it soon. The one linked above is from that session actually but I also have an instrumental version of that, the alma mater, and a couple other things.

I don’t have a recording of Mossie though you obviously missed us doing it in The Crew during 06-07 and 07-08!

Last edited by Face (2/08/2019 9:05 pm)

2/09/2019 9:51 am  #14

How about AC DC😁

2/09/2019 10:36 am  #15

Lucky Mcd i just happened to open those links. Thats great. I have it saved on my phone. Im going to torture my family with this. The tempo is a little slow though.

Added thought: wouldn't it be great if someone could do the Mossie Murphy shoo shoo rah rah with the greatest respect to a legendary Duke

2/09/2019 4:00 pm  #16

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Lucky Mcd i just happened to open those links. Thats great. I have it saved on my phone. Im going to torture my family with this. The tempo is a little slow though.

Added thought: wouldn't it be great if someone could do the Mossie Murphy shoo shoo rah rah with the greatest respect to a legendary Duke

TBH the current crew plays it a little too fast. Should be March tempo, maybe a little speedier.

2/11/2019 11:49 am  #17

I agree with previous comments that the band today, while good, can't seem to coordinate the fight song for an appropriate time.  They used to play it years ago when the Dukes hit the floor,  during time outs when the Dukes were ahead or surging and at the end if we won.  Playing it after a loss or playing that or really anything positive when the Dukes are down seems silly.  If the team is down 10 or 20 not sure why you would get overly excited about even a slam dunk until the team starts to make its run (as is now its habit). 

My recollection back in the day - Mossie would stand up and say "are you ready?"  and the student section at the arena would more or less roar approval. And he would start (with appropriate gestures):

Ahoya, Ahoooya (drawn out and sometimes said 3 or 4 times depending on his mood at the time)
shoo shoo rah rah
shoo shoo rah rah
Ahoya - Dukes!

then:
Let's go Duquesne - with clapping.  (yes it loses something in writing)

Also my understanding was that he developed this after the crowd at a Georgetown game but I could be wrong.

2/11/2019 11:57 am  #18

2/11/2019 12:02 pm  #19

Nice but not how I remember it.

2/11/2019 12:21 pm  #20

Mulder wrote:

Nice but not how I remember it.

​Agreed. 
Mossie doing the cheer live was awesome.

There has to be a link out there somewhere - recorded from Civic Arena or AJP.
​I tried a few searches over the weekend, but no luck.
​Only the one referenced above w/the Cheerleaders.

2/11/2019 1:12 pm  #21

I can recall in my era, a student attempting to lead the cheer when Mossie wasn't there but it really wasn't the same. Mossie was a larger-than-life character with a presence that could never be duplicated. As for videos of Mossie, no one had camera phones in those days nor did fans bring camcorders to the games that I can recall. If there's any video of him doing the cheer, it would be in the Duquesne Archives, buried somewhere in the Athletic Department, or in his family's possession. Another possible place would be in local TV stations' archives. In the early Palumbo Center years, the local stations did have film crews at most of the games.

And many of the home games aired on the local sports cable channel in those days, I want to say it was KBL? Memory's a bit hazy as to whether they were locally produced or part of some A10 network package that a third-party company did. May even have been a mix. But in those days, the TV cameras were positioned at the bottom of sections B8/B7,right at center court, so would have been well-positioned to record Mossie. Nowadays, they're at the top of the red seats, no?

So I'm sure there's footage out there somewhere, would be great to see it in the public domain.

2/11/2019 2:20 pm  #22

Man, I remember him doing the cheer like it was yesterday. Halfway up the stands, behind where the teams sat. At the Arena, the students had great seats, right at ground level, across from where Mossie was. Mossie was in his mid 40s when I was a student, so he still had plenty of energy.

2/11/2019 2:33 pm  #23

There is a tiny bit of Mossie in this video from 1990....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-WaeclSTg

2/11/2019 3:51 pm  #24

I believe that Mulder is spot on for Mossie’s cheer as I remember it.  Really fired us up at the Arena and Palumbo.  The cheerleaders sort of got it in that video but was too fast and not complete.  Would be amazing to bring it back.  Out of respect  I would assume that his family would be ok with that?  I think Balog should do it!  :-)

2/11/2019 4:03 pm  #25

RedAndBlueRUS1 wrote:

I believe that Mulder is spot on for Mossie’s cheer as I remember it. Really fired us up at the Arena and Palumbo. The cheerleaders sort of got it in that video but was too fast and not complete. Would be amazing to bring it back. Out of respect I would assume that his family would be ok with that? I think Balog should do it! :-)

I second your nomination of The Log.  He has perfect seats for it and he's on his feet encouraging the rest of us to cheer louder all of the time as it is.  I'm sure the Murphy family would be happy to see Jim leading the cheer.

Board footera