Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2019 5:19 am  #1

February Again!

Well guys, had that game review nightmare that woke me up, ouch.  Loss to Bonnies was a train (no offense to my buddy LTrain) wreck!  Let another one clearly get away last night that was hard to take.  KD said we'll see if we are "Championship Caliber", well we know the answer.  Better? Yes, middle of the pack now.  We still need more talent guys.  Where is our Rick Suder or Michal Mason?  Sorry, FH's and TDM too inconsistent and not filling that role.  What did those guys shoot last night 3-16?  On the game thread WashPa and Rasquel (spelling) pointed out the need for help at guard and that is becoming painfully obvious.  Can anyone really say we aren't in trouble when SC isn't in at PG?  Please.  We've played 25 games and yet we haven't put one complete game together.  1-3 in February and looking at the schedule I see us one short of my 19 win prediction.  I am tired of seeing us shoot ourselves in the foot with unforced TO's, missed foul shots and untimely bad shot selection.  When are we going to be playing better at the end of the year??!!.  I hope I'm wrong, but February is shaping up to look like 3-7.  I feel like this team is waterboarding me, I can't take it. Don't stop recruiting KD.

2/14/2019 6:02 am  #2

Re: February Again!

I'm hoping this year's team can avoid the inevitable February free fall that has plagued this program for what seems like an eternity now, but the fact of the matter is that we're now a dismal 1-3 this month when, realistically, we could have won all four games thus far.

While Duquesne's ability to rally from double-digit deficits late in the game, including last night when we rallied to take the lead against LaSalle in the waning minutes after trailing 61-51, is really exciting to watch — it's also a mark of a championship team as Porter Moser's Loyola of Chicago Ramblers proved numerous times last season — I'm beginning to seriously wonder why Keith Dambrot's players increasingly find themselves in that dire predicament, almost game after game in the past several  weeks, most recently in the URI and Fordham games when the Dukes staged unbelievable come-from-behind victories after trailing by 18 points.  

A team can only do that so often. 

Those are some huge deficits to overcome.

Sadly, the old adage that, "In February there is everything to hope for and nothing to regret," doesn't seem to apply to Duquesne basketball.  In fact, quite the opposite is true; there's nothing to hope for and everything to regret.  It's a month of disappointment, year after year — regardless of who happens to be coaching this once-proud program.

Here's hoping March will be better...

Let's Go Duquesne!

Last edited by IronDukes12 (2/14/2019 6:45 am)

2/14/2019 7:59 am  #3

Play Lamar Norman more.  If FHughes is denting rims with his shot, put in Norman, I mean WTF is there to lose, other than a talented player for next year?
Last nights shooting was brutal.  
Wade had more air balls than shots hit the rim I think.
Play norman and bizeau, if they get hot, problem solved.  If the whole team is cold, then its a loss.

2/14/2019 8:19 am  #4

townsonkid wrote:

Play Lamar Norman more.  If FHughes is denting rims with his shot, put in Norman, I mean WTF is there to lose, other than a talented player for next year?
Play norman and bizeau, if they get hot, problem solved.  If the whole team is cold, then its a loss.

I agree. I don't know why Norman gets no run.

2/14/2019 8:31 am  #5

If mike Hughes makes his foul shots all is forgotten.However,  I don’t get both Norman & bizeau lack of playing time. TDM could play point when Carrey needs a break. Bizeau can maybe knock down some outside shots & open up the middle For Mike Hughes. If they  don’t kick ass Saturday against GW this program really is cursed.

2/14/2019 9:33 am  #6

I agree with the sentiment expressed in this thread started by Pistol Pete (although I am concerned about Pistol's inability to sleep after a Duke's loss--perhaps a hiatus from watching the Dukes for a week or two, meditation and a glass of warm milk and cookies before bed might be in order!)

It is no doubt frustrating to witness losses that could be wins.  It is difficult to beat any team on the road no matter what the record.  I think that the modicum of success achieved by KD in only his second year has raised expectations.  I am trying to keep this season in perspective since Duquesne isn't playing anyone beyond his sophomore year--not an excuse but a fact nonetheless.  Let's hang in there...better times are coming.  We've waited this long!!

2/14/2019 9:42 am  #7

I think if Norman hit a shot early, he can drop 20.  He just needs to see the ball go in the hoop.  He's ultra athletic, can play defense, and has to have fresh legs.
I'd consider starting him vs GW over Frankie, try it out one game, see what happens.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/14/2019 9:43 am)

2/14/2019 10:10 am  #8

townsonkid wrote:

I think if Norman hit a shot early, he can drop 20.  He just needs to see the ball go in the hoop.  He's ultra athletic, can play defense, and has to have fresh legs.
I'd consider starting him vs GW over Frankie, try it out one game, see what happens.

Norman's shooting percentage isn't bad at 39.5%. His lack of playing time must be related to his defense. He's on the bench, while KD is giving time to a player shooting 19% from the field. I didn't major in math, but 39.5% is more than double 19.4%. Maybe Wade is great in practice, while Norman isn't, but at some point, don't you have to base it on play in real games?

2/14/2019 10:24 am  #9

duq81, I have no idea, I would have thought by now Norman and Bizeau would have gotten more PT.  We all saw Norman score early in the year when he was injected into the lineup.  We only see them for 2hrs, 2x a week, so who knows.

2/14/2019 10:51 am  #10

townsonkid wrote:

Wade was 1 for 4. Two of the misses were in-and-out. It was the most confident I've seen him shoot the ball all season. He needs to play and improve on the fly if we're going to win games down the stretch. He plays more than Norman because KD trusts him more on the ball (which I agree, is shaky) and defensively. Norman plays off ball, so he needs to play with either Sin or TDM. I'd have given him some more minutes for Frank last night, though.

In earlier games, I thought Norman looked good in a pressing defense. We seem to play better when we press. So maybe there's more of a role there. But if our press gets broken, it's super easy layups. We don't recover well. So, double-edged sword. We use it to make these comebacks, though, so I'd try to use it a little more early in games.

2/14/2019 12:33 pm  #11

Townson and Iron Duke I am with you guys 100% regarding Norman and Gavin.  When FH can't hit the side of a barn, and TDM is off, you need to try LN.  As you say Townson WTF do you have to lose.  Norman has some defensive lapses, but he is athletic and also makes some good D plays - especially in the press.  No matter, when our shooting guards can't shoot LN needs to be given more of an opportunity as any defensive shortcoming doesn't override the horrific outside shooting of our other guys.  I also agree that maybe throw in Gavin would help as I believe if he takes 9 shots he hits at least 3, if not more.  Professor, I appreciate your concern, all is well with the Pistol - that is why I hit the gym four times a week!  LOL

2/14/2019 4:47 pm  #12

For what it is worth:

Last three home games-GW, Mass and Day-combined record of 32-41
Last three road games-GM, Stl, and SBU-combined record of 41-33
I see a 3-3 finish or a regular season record of 19-12,  10-8.

2/14/2019 7:30 pm  #13

I for one am also a fan of the idea of getting Norman involved. I seem to recall a game early on when he was on fire. I also think we need to seehow they compete. Are they going to hang tough win a few lose a few or will they tank. I think back to Aaron Jackson who kind if willed that team to win. Maybe  Eric Williams finds that will and we get tough in the Tourney

2/14/2019 7:54 pm  #14

TDM is their best shooter. Maybe this ankle injury is affecting him but he makes things happen

2/14/2019 8:31 pm  #15

Is Norman still on concussion watch?

2/15/2019 7:05 am  #16

No. He played against LAS.

2/15/2019 9:37 am  #17

Big Normal fan - he SHOOK a man in the last game hard. 

Roll Dukes Roll

Board footera