Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2019 5:47 pm  #1

Eric Williams A10 Player of the Week

2/18/2019 7:28 pm  #2

Re: Eric Williams A10 Player of the Week

The most under appreciated  member of this team... what would we do without his points and rebounds? 

Congratulations Eric!

Last edited by coffee (2/18/2019 7:30 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/18/2019 7:55 pm  #3

coffee wrote:

The most under appreciated  member of this team... what would we do without his points and rebounds? 

Congratulations Eric!

I don’t know who is underestimating him, he has been the best player on this team basically since he got here. With no other D one offers.

2/18/2019 8:03 pm  #4

I love watching EW play.
Huge fan of his game.

This part of the write-up is insightful ...
“The versatile guard/forward leads the Dukes in scoring (13.2 ppg.) and rebounding (7.9 rpg.) and is second on the team with 44 3-pointers made.

His 8.4 career rebounds per game average ranks fifth nationally among the nations' sophomores.”

2/18/2019 8:05 pm  #5

Hmmm coach Dambrot Eric Williams & Sin not a bad judgement of talent. It’s easy to recruit 4& 5 stars in the power conference. This guy is the perfect fit on the bluff. Coach keep bringing in the under the radar kids with a BIG chip on shoulder. Go Dukes.

2/18/2019 8:31 pm  #6

Congrats to EW2!  He has really been coming on strong lately; seems so much more involved in the action at both ends of the court.

2/18/2019 9:32 pm  #7

Ironduke81 wrote:

Hmmm coach Dambrot Eric Williams & Sin not a bad judgement of talent. It’s easy to recruit 4& 5 stars in the power conference. This guy is the perfect fit on the bluff. Coach keep bringing in the under the radar kids with a BIG chip on shoulder. Go Dukes.

I don't think Sincere was a special judgement of talent like Eric was. People knew he was talented. KD was willing to take a chance on his bad knees. I can understand why P5 schools would back away. He's a 3.5 star type player, and P5 schools routinely get players at that level, so why go after a guy with bad knees. What I can't understand is why no mid to low level schools were willing to take the gamble. Take a shot at getting a talent you would never land if he didn't have the knee issues. Schools missed on Eric; schools chickened out on Sincere.

2/19/2019 12:41 am  #8

This is big. It is so important that EW2 finishes strong & happy this season so he doesn't consider moving on.

He would be an extremely hot commodity on the transfer market & his relationship with the coach seems less than ideal. Watching those 2 interact during the games makes me nervous & KD rarely offers any public praise. Eric's technicals & rim hanging antics are clearly not appreciated.

Eric is still very young. He is 3 months younger than Bizeau & 6 days shy of being 2 years younger than Weathers. There is a decent chance that his ball skills develop rapidly, he matures, & his frame fills-out to the point that he is a late 2nd round draft prospect as a 2 position wing in 2020. Long, wiry-strong, bouncy, willing defenders that can shoot the 3 are all the rage.

Last edited by phil95 (2/19/2019 12:42 am)

2/19/2019 7:45 am  #9

phil95 wrote:

This is big. It is so important that EW2 finishes strong & happy this season so he doesn't consider moving on.

He would be an extremely hot commodity on the transfer market & his relationship with the coach seems less than ideal. Watching those 2 interact during the games makes me nervous & KD rarely offers any public praise. Eric's technicals & rim hanging antics are clearly not appreciated.

Eric is still very young. He is 3 months younger than Bizeau & 6 days shy of being 2 years younger than Weathers. There is a decent chance that his ball skills develop rapidly, he matures, & his frame fills-out to the point that he is a late 2nd round draft prospect as a 2 position wing in 2020. Long, wiry-strong, bouncy, willing defenders that can shoot the 3 are all the rage.

Is this actually a real topic amongst the insiders? It would be a devastating blow if he left. He has an enormous ceiling the 2 next years.

2/19/2019 8:11 am  #10

Talk of Eric moving from Duquesne is disrespectful to him and to the team. If you think the NBA doesn’t know all about Eric, you don’t know their scouting processes. They know his strengths and what he has to get better at. I know a scout who has said transfers throw up a red flag to them. Remember L. G. Gill, Dukes star who transferred to Maryland a couple of years ago? Ended the year as a five minute a game sub. Eric’s best bet is to stay right here, continue to develop his game, and become a strong team player who is an A10 big fish.  If Eric drives the Dukes to the top, he doesn’t need the power five. The NBA knows who he is.

2/19/2019 8:51 am  #11

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

I don't think Sincere was a special judgement of talent like Eric was. People knew he was talented. KD was willing to take a chance on his bad knees. I can understand why P5 schools would back away. He's a 3.5 star type player, and P5 schools routinely get players at that level, so why go after a guy with bad knees. What I can't understand is why no mid to low level schools were willing to take the gamble. Take a shot at getting a talent you would never land if he didn't have the knee issues. Schools missed on Eric; schools chickened out on Sincere.

Your obviously missing the point. Not one offer for Sincere from any Div 1 school. Was Mike Hughes a 4-5 star? Can I go down the list of the current roster. Again was CLK & I the only two on this board that knew the firing of Ron & subsequent hiring of Ferry was a joke.

2/19/2019 9:39 am  #12

As to CLK and IronDuke being the only 2 - no.  I totally abandoned the Dukes for 5 years.  But that is in the past.  And for the second time I would suggest that this transfer talk cease.  Totally inappropriate.

2/19/2019 11:22 am  #13

I agree kcc173.  As Duquesne is trying to close out an exciting season with significant wins, why do supporters feel the need to speculate and fret about who might transfer?  What is the point?   It is highly doubtful that anyone who comments here has any idea what the true relationship is between the coaching staff and any player. 

2/19/2019 11:24 am  #14

Cant we just all get along?
The Dukes are about to embark on a 5 game stretch that could really set up a great season.  Lets stop the infighting and go talk some trash on the G Mason board!!!

Enjoy a Bob Dylan song with "Duquesne" in the title....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mns9VeRguys

Last edited by townsonkid (2/19/2019 12:29 pm)

2/19/2019 11:27 am  #15

I agree that is disrespectful to talk of transfers.  I just hope the players take it with a grain of salt.  Also, I agree the past is the past.  I will say the bigger point is that KD has an amazing ability to spot and develop talent.   Carry was flying very low on the radar when KD saw him.  It could have been due to the fact that he committed to a D2 school (same as Eric).  In the playoffs he displayed his talents on a bigger stage (again just like Eric) and KD was right there with an offer.  I remember how people on this board thought that Carry was a walk on.  In any event we are blessed to have both of these young men playing for the Dukes.

2/19/2019 2:00 pm  #16

Ironduke81 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Your obviously missing the point. Not one offer for Sincere from any Div 1 school. Was Mike Hughes a 4-5 star? Can I go down the list of the current roster. Again was CLK & I the only two on this board that knew the firing of Ron & subsequent hiring of Ferry was a joke.

Not missing the point. Sincere and Williams are two different scenarios. Eric was flat out missed. No one looked at him and saw what he was. Schools didn't miss Sincere, they backed away because of his knees. KD getting Eric can be attributed to a sharp eye. He saw what others didn't. Getting Carry was a case of KD being willing to gamble on a guy with physical issues. Two different things. If Carry never gets injured, he's probably playing for Ohio St., or a similar team.

2/19/2019 2:59 pm  #17

HookShot wrote:

Talk of Eric moving from Duquesne is disrespectful to him and to the team. If you think the NBA doesn’t know all about Eric, you don’t know their scouting processes. They know his strengths and what he has to get better at. I know a scout who has said transfers throw up a red flag to them. Remember L. G. Gill, Dukes star who transferred to Maryland a couple of years ago? Ended the year as a five minute a game sub. Eric’s best bet is to stay right here, continue to develop his game, and become a strong team player who is an A10 big fish. If Eric drives the Dukes to the top, he doesn’t need the power five. The NBA knows who he is.

Great post, HookShot. Eric Williams Jr. is a bright guy. You can just see that in his demeanor. He plays well ahead of his years. He is on his way to becoming an NBA prospect and I believe he understands that he doesn't need anything more than the A10 platform to get there. It's not like the A10 doesn't get any exposure. It's getting plenty these days and it's probably as down as it's been in a long time. When Eric is a senior, the A10, with all its current youth having added a few years of experience, will be rolling. Keep it going EW. Take this team to the promised land!

2/19/2019 5:27 pm  #18

theprofessor1099 wrote:

I agree kcc173.  As Duquesne is trying to close out an exciting season with significant wins, why do supporters feel the need to speculate and fret about who might transfer?  What is the point?   It is highly doubtful that anyone who comments here has any idea what the true relationship is between the coaching staff and any player. 

Because I come here to chat about Duquesne basketball & it interests me to hear othe perspectives.

These coaches & kids aren't made of tissue paper. They are, to a certain extent, chasing fame. Reading my speculations is a tiny part of the price to play.

2/19/2019 7:09 pm  #19

Ron Everhart said transferring was epidemic in college basketball and he wasn't wrong about that. We had players leave with each coaching change and a more recent mid-year transfer. We've been so down for so long that we don't look that attractive even to some of ourselves. But maybe--just maybe--our players may want to stay here this time to be part of something better. We have a more supportive administration now. Keith Dambrot saw that. We have a good coach and assistants loyal to him. Why did they follow him here--to God-forsaken Duquesne, graveyard of coaches?  And if I've made you more enthusiastic about your (our) school, give some bucks to DU Day of Giving.  You know they'll spend it. 

2/19/2019 8:06 pm  #20

You make a good point Phil.  More credit should be given to players in that they probably would recognize that baseless speculations by people outside of the program aren't worth considering.and are just musings. 

2/20/2019 3:03 pm  #21

Crosseye wrote:

HookShot wrote:

Talk of Eric moving from Duquesne is disrespectful to him and to the team. If you think the NBA doesn’t know all about Eric, you don’t know their scouting processes. They know his strengths and what he has to get better at. I know a scout who has said transfers throw up a red flag to them. Remember L. G. Gill, Dukes star who transferred to Maryland a couple of years ago? Ended the year as a five minute a game sub. Eric’s best bet is to stay right here, continue to develop his game, and become a strong team player who is an A10 big fish. If Eric drives the Dukes to the top, he doesn’t need the power five. The NBA knows who he is.

Great post, HookShot. Eric Williams Jr. is a bright guy. You can just see that in his demeanor. He plays well ahead of his years. He is on his way to becoming an NBA prospect and I believe he understands that he doesn't need anything more than the A10 platform to get there. It's not like the A10 doesn't get any exposure. It's getting plenty these days and it's probably as down as it's been in a long time. When Eric is a senior, the A10, with all its current youth having added a few years of experience, will be rolling. Keep it going EW. Take this team to the promised land!

To be fair LG plays in the G league now. 

It's 100% not disrespectful to speculate if a players looking to transfer. I wish they all stay because duquesne (out of the record this past decade) is a special place to be. Kids transfer more than ever now. 

I think what we need to focus on is the fact that the university has committed to making this program better and we have a couch who can recruit and get his team to play hard. 

This is bigger than anyone players impact. Gone are the days where we have to relay on Ovie, DC, or Micah to guide us to a sub .500 record. (No offense to those guys)   

Roll Dukes Roll

2/20/2019 4:28 pm  #22

All three of those guys who "guided us to sub-500 records" have played in Europe, and two are still making money in professional basketball.  All three were good to very good players.  One player came home for personal reasons and not because he wasn't doing well; so there was no need to disparage their careers. 
What is totally insane about this board, among other things, is even when things are going very well with the program, one or more posters begin obsessing about players transferring.  A guy wins a nice award as A-10 Player of the Week and someone starts speculating about transferring.  Please realize, that when you build a winning program, you become a destination for good players not a jumping off point.   Can we leave the inner workings of the program to the coaches to manage?  It gets tiresome to read the same nonsense over and over regarding the number of players we have and how other message boards are pissed off about it.  Do I care about what other A-10 boards say about the Dukes?  NO!  As long as we win they can say whatever they want!  I'd rather they despise us than mock us for being losers. 

2/20/2019 4:55 pm  #23

I agree.
We have the regular season left plus the A10 tournament and perhaps
the CBI. VCU is 11-2; David is 10-3 next is GMU at 9-4 us at 8-5.
The A10 is jammed at 8-5. Next five games will be interesting for the league as a whole.
I hone in on the present; the future of the team I leave until all the games are done.
Main focus for me is GMU.  

2/22/2019 10:08 am  #24

levon1975 wrote:

All three of those guys who "guided us to sub-500 records" have played in Europe, and two are still making money in professional basketball.  All three were good to very good players.  One player came home for personal reasons and not because he wasn't doing well; so there was no need to disparage their careers. 
What is totally insane about this board, among other things, is even when things are going very well with the program, one or more posters begin obsessing about players transferring.  A guy wins a nice award as A-10 Player of the Week and someone starts speculating about transferring.  Please realize, that when you build a winning program, you become a destination for good players not a jumping off point.   Can we leave the inner workings of the program to the coaches to manage?  It gets tiresome to read the same nonsense over and over regarding the number of players we have and how other message boards are pissed off about it.  Do I care about what other A-10 boards say about the Dukes?  NO!  As long as we win they can say whatever they want!  I'd rather they despise us than mock us for being losers. 

If you read my post I did not disparage their careers....I was stating we don't need to rely on one or two players. We have a program with a even team where multiple players could go off in one night. Where there are promising players waiting on the bench to develop.  

I love the dukes and believe we are heading in the right direction. I am just not going to drink the kool-aid and think we are impervious to the culture of transferring in college basketball. Especially with our lack of crowd. 

I hope all players stay - I actually think it's smart for them to as well. EW could be apart of our first ever NCAA birth this century during his senior year! But to say it's 'disrespectful' to discuss what the roster will look like next year is just not accurate. The whole point of this board is to discuss topics surrounding this team.    

BTW....the players don't read this/ aren't going to base their decision around what some poster commented lmao. 

Roll Dukes Roll

2/22/2019 12:54 pm  #25

currentstudent wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

If you read my post I did not disparage their careers....I was stating we don't need to rely on one or two players. We have a program with a even team where multiple players could go off in one night. Where there are promising players waiting on the bench to develop.  

I love the dukes and believe we are heading in the right direction. I am just not going to drink the kool-aid and think we are impervious to the culture of transferring in college basketball. Especially with our lack of crowd. 

I hope all players stay - I actually think it's smart for them to as well. EW could be apart of our first ever NCAA birth this century during his senior year! But to say it's 'disrespectful' to discuss what the roster will look like next year is just not accurate. The whole point of this board is to discuss topics surrounding this team.    

BTW....the players don't read this/ aren't going to base their decision around what some poster commented lmao. 

Current student, please read my post, I didn't make the comment that anything was "disrespectful".  I believe that was another post from another person. 

Board footera