Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2019 8:50 pm  #1

Bonnies

They are tied with us in league play at 9-5. Their home court advantage is legendary. We need to find a way to avenge our loss to them at Palumbo.

2/24/2019 9:45 pm  #2

Re: Bonnies

If we manage to knock of the Bonnies in Olean, I may begin to really, really believe we can win the whole thing this year. :-)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/24/2019 11:06 pm  #3

Won @ Richmond
Won @ St Joes
Won @ GMU in front of 7k+

Time to add Olean

Last edited by Box & One (2/24/2019 11:07 pm)

2/24/2019 11:40 pm  #4

Box & One wrote:

Won @ Richmond
Won @ St Joes

Time to add Olean

Box, St.Joes was a home game.They beat GW away.

2/25/2019 12:02 am  #5

Westender wrote:

Box & One wrote:

Won @ Richmond

Time to add Olean

Get ‘em anyway!  😀

Last edited by Box & One (2/25/2019 12:02 am)

2/25/2019 12:30 am  #6

Box & One wrote:

Westender wrote:

Box & One wrote:

Won @ Richmond

Time to add Olean

Get ‘em anyway!  😀

Absolutely!!

2/25/2019 1:16 am  #7

An uncharacteristically good start would help in tamping down the home-court advantage. A team with this much heart and soul just needs some "early speed" to get a few more wins. 

2/25/2019 8:09 am  #8

No, start like you never played before, then once we get down by double digits, we'll be fine.   

2/25/2019 11:20 am  #9

townsonkid wrote:

No, start like you never played before, then once we get down by double digits, we'll be fine.   

+1

Roll Dukes Roll

2/25/2019 4:37 pm  #10

Two chances for the Dukes to break the school record for conference road wins. They mentioned this during the George Mason broadcast. I had never realized this before, but Duquesne has never won more than four conference road games in the A10/EAA/Eastern 8. They've done it three times. The 80-81 team, which tied with Rhode Island for the EAA regular season championship (but lost the head-to-head game) before losing to Pitt in the conference championship game, beat GW, Bonaventure, UMass and Rutgers on the road. Ron Everhart did it twice. The 08-09 team, which also made it to the conference championship game, beat Bonaventure, Fordham, LaSalle and UMass on the road. And the 2010-11 team scored road wins over St. Joe's, LaSalle, Fordham and UMass, but then was upset by St. Joe's after getting a bye to the A10 quarterfinals.

2/25/2019 6:46 pm  #11

The Dukes revenge tour continues in the Middle of nowhere!

2/25/2019 8:26 pm  #12

DennisC91 wrote:

Two chances for the Dukes to break the school record for conference road wins. They mentioned this during the George Mason broadcast. I had never realized this before, but Duquesne has never won more than four conference road games in the A10/EAA/Eastern 8. They've done it three times. The 80-81 team, which tied with Rhode Island for the EAA regular season championship (but lost the head-to-head game) before losing to Pitt in the conference championship game, beat GW, Bonaventure, UMass and Rutgers on the road. Ron Everhart did it twice. The 08-09 team, which also made it to the conference championship game, beat Bonaventure, Fordham, LaSalle and UMass on the road. And the 2010-11 team scored road wins over St. Joe's, LaSalle, Fordham and UMass, but then was upset by St. Joe's after getting a bye to the A10 quarterfinals.

Not trying to throw water on anything, but I do need to point out that the Dukes now get an extra game to win on the road and 2 more in conference when playing an 18 game conference schedule. League schedule was 16 games up to a couple of years ago when they went to 18 games.

2/25/2019 8:31 pm  #13

Easy now. I was born & reared in Olean & I still have a mom, 5 siblings, countless nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles, & tons of friends there. It will always be home. I did a bunch summer classes at SBU & was even (briefly) a ball boy. I am sure that, as a kid, A-10 games are the only way I knew that Duquesne University existed.

I considered DU & SBU my co-favorite teams until Alston/Whitehead & crew upset FSU just before Christmas break in 1992. Since then, I have no problem cursing the Bonnies any time they are playing a game that affects the Dukes.
It was a great place to grow up as a college basketbal fan............and then leave.

I always catch a ton of (profanity) when I cheer for the Dukes at the Reily Center. People I haven't seen in decades are appalled at what a turncoat I have become. I know 8 or 10 other folks that are Oleanders & Duquesne alums. I am not sure how that happened. There are only 12,000 people there these days. When I was a kid it was closer to 22K.

I am flying to PGH tomorrow morning & driving to the game with a couple of DU friends. Gotta win this one!

Buck Fonas!!! (chant made famous by Niagra fans back in the day)

2/25/2019 9:45 pm  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Not trying to throw water on anything, but I do need to point out that the Dukes now get an extra game to win on the road and 2 more in conference when playing an 18 game conference schedule. League schedule was 16 games up to a couple of years ago when they went to 18 games.

True. Guess they need to win both remaining road games then and have the best road conference record in school history as 6-3 would beat the 80-81 team's 4-3 and the 79-80 team's 3-2. Heck, one more road win would still represent the third-best road conference record in school history by winning percentage. Work with me, PR. ;-)

2/25/2019 10:01 pm  #15

Buck Fonas is almost as good as the Civic Arena sign that said: “Muck the Fountaineers!” back in the BB/Huggins day.

2/25/2019 11:18 pm  #16

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

The chance that the road-record wins could be eclipsed would still be significant with the longer conference schedule. 

However, I'm with you all the way that a new standard should be set by winning not one but both of the two away conference games. This team can make this happen, as we have seen.  

2/26/2019 10:14 am  #17

According to ESPN’s power index, Here are the odds of a win for each team:

Bonnies:  70.1 %
Dukes:     29.9 %

Last edited by FAM (2/26/2019 10:15 am)

2/26/2019 11:24 am  #18

Carry did not practice today and Coach says he "probably won't play" per Sarah Spencer

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

2/26/2019 11:58 am  #19

yak-rbc wrote:

Carry did not practice today and Coach says he "probably won't play" per Sarah Spencer

As much as that sucks, it sounds like more of “week to week situation” than him being shut down for the rest of the year. Bonnie’s prob aren’t as good as GMU, so we should still be able to win without him (earlier matchup this year aside).

Carry’s knees in the long term are really what scares me. Will he ever get past this? Given his injury history, my guess is no.

Only hope is that others (Wade) start to make bigger contributions soon at PG to where he doesn’t have to play 38 minutes a game. Only chance to preserve him is to give him less minutes if we can afford to.

2/26/2019 12:44 pm  #20

yak-rbc wrote:

The so-called elephant in the room  is whether or not Carry's knee problems can be fixed. If not, we need a point guard in my opinion.

2/26/2019 1:12 pm  #21

it can be fixed, but not until the off season.  

2/26/2019 2:57 pm  #22

townsonkid wrote:

it can be fixed, but not until the off season.  

But wasn’t he “healthy” going into this season?

2/26/2019 4:20 pm  #23

Westender wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

The so-called elephant in the room  is whether or not Carry's knee problems can be fixed. If not, we need a point guard in my opinion.

For what it’s worth, maceo Austin has played a good bit of point guard for his high school team and said that Coach D anticipates him playing some in college too.

2/26/2019 4:26 pm  #24

Westender wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

The so-called elephant in the room is whether or not Carry's knee problems can be fixed. If not, we need a point guard in my opinion.

I can't see any good point guard being willing to come here on a gamble, with regard to Carry's knees. Who wants to sit for 3 years? We may have to get what we can from him, and hope that TDM, and Wade can fill the gap. If the knees are still a problem next year, you go get a point guard for the next season. One may be willing to come with Carry, and Wade headed into their junior years, and TDM being a senior.

2/26/2019 6:54 pm  #25

I just watched again the 2 and half of the George Mason game. Can’t believe the Dukes won. The coach of GM very good previously at Bucknell did everything by the book. Coach Dambrot gives his players free reign and trust his players. Chucker  Hughes and TDM ice in their veins. If Sincere does not play & the Dukes fall on the road to the brown turds I would love a 3rd game against the Bonnies in the A10 tourney with a healthy & deeper team. This team amazes me. They are so young they don’t know in better. Love it. Go Dukes!

Board footera