Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2019 2:34 am  #1

Atlantic Ten Tournament Preview

"Led by freshman point guard Sincere Carry, the young Dukes can’t be counted out, especially if 6-6 sophomore Eric Williams, Jr., who has struggled at times this season, gets hot."

https://thefanatic.com/college/basketball/2019/03/previewing-this-weeks-atlantic-10-tournament/

3/11/2019 7:42 am  #2

Re: Atlantic Ten Tournament Preview

I'm sorry, and I hope I am wrong, but I expected St Joey to win.  I dont think there is any gas left in the tank.
We'll sit around an hope for a CBI bid.  

3/11/2019 8:35 am  #3

Here are the A10 Tourney odds from KenPom.  He has the Dukes with a 53.3% chance of beating Saint Joseph's; and a 13.7% chance of then beating Davidson.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1REnayU8AAK0ZV.jpg:large

3/11/2019 2:32 pm  #4

townsonkid wrote:

I'm sorry, and I hope I am wrong, but I expected St Joey to win.  I dont think there is any gas left in the tank.
We'll sit around an hope for a CBI bid.  

Man I hope you are wrong 

Roll Dukes Roll

3/11/2019 8:11 pm  #5

One and done...this team lacks discipline, and gets crushed on the boards. a very hard formula to win games in the tournament. I hope I am wrong....  we haven't blown out anyone, which doesn't make me feel good about playing St Joes. I know Dambrot is good in the post season but the game last year against richmond was a disaster.

3/11/2019 11:42 pm  #6

HerbertHoover wrote:

One and done...this team lacks discipline, and gets crushed on the boards. a very hard formula to win games in the tournament. I hope I am wrong....  we haven't blown out anyone, which doesn't make me feel good about playing St Joes. I know Dambrot is good in the post season but the game last year against richmond was a disaster.

Hey, isn't this your first post since the Penn State game, where you ripped the Coach?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/12/2019 8:04 am  #7

Ten years ago DU was in an identical situation. DU was a 7th seed and nobody believed they could get to the finals.  DU surprised a lot of people.  I still believe this team can beat any team in this league, if they play together, don't listen to the negative voices, and believe in themselves.  Let's win this thing.  Go Dukes!

3/12/2019 9:31 am  #8

I'm not as optimistic. That team had a senior Aaron Jackson. I think we can beat St. Joe's though. 20 wins is a successful season to me.

3/12/2019 10:40 am  #9

I would like to get #20.  It wont be easy.  Will need EW to score, 20+ I think.  No one else can be counted on to fill it up.  

3/12/2019 1:15 pm  #10

Yes, I agree, Tejas, it doesn't look like Herb's a big fan of the current coach.

3/12/2019 2:22 pm  #11

HerbertHoover wrote:

HH is a GREAT screen name for you!  The president at the time of the Great Depression being so very depressing. 

I disagree that the team lacks discipline... they're all underclassmen and not as experienced in situations... that is a big difference. 

Any team losing 2 of their three players capable of playing adequate center due to injury will have a disadvantage on the boards.  Bizeau is a project.

You can either fault them for not blowing anyone out or congratulate them for winning most of the close ones and not being blown out often themselves.  Most of their conference losses were 2 possession games.

If Michael Hughes stays out of foul trouble, we beat St. Louis again.  Without a back-up, we struggle.  Strangely, it may come down to Bizeau being able to provide some quality minutes while everybody else does their part.  EW, SC, FH and TDM have all been know to take over a game even if we do get out-rebounded

Last edited by coffee (3/12/2019 3:00 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/12/2019 2:36 pm  #12

townsonkid wrote:

I would like to get #20.  It wont be easy.  Will need EW to score, 20+ I think.  No one else can be counted on to fill it up.  

Droning on, being repetitious - we need to hit a bunch of 3's to win - in my opinion.

3/12/2019 6:03 pm  #13

3/12/2019 10:38 pm  #14

CLK wrote:

Ten years ago DU was in an identical situation. DU was a 7th seed and nobody believed they could get to the finals.  DU surprised a lot of people.  I still believe this team can beat any team in this league, if they play together, don't listen to the negative voices, and believe in themselves.  Let's win this thing.  Go Dukes!

This was the under-sized team from 2008-09.
They had fight.

Starting 5 was something like:
AJax @ 6-4
​D Saunders @ 6-7
B Clark @ 6-5
​J Duty @ 6-1
M Bolding @ 6-3 / BJ Monterio @ 6-5

​Avg Team Height 6-4
​Avg Team Experience 1.1 Yrs

​& a great run to the Finals:
​UMass 91-81
​URI 78-74
Dayton 77-66
​Then ran into the Dionte Christmas buzz saw to lose to Temple by 5. 

3/13/2019 8:06 am  #15

Didnt Temple have some 7' guy too that made an impact that game?  It was intense, at my house anyway, that day.  Soooo close to NCAAs.  

3/13/2019 8:14 am  #16

They actually defended Christmas well in that Championship game; but got beat by the other guard who was not a good shooter.  The guy just had the best shooting day of his life that day.  They also had trouble with the Temple center, a foreign player, who was awkward, but very tall.  He got some easy baskets due to our lack of height. 
I’m sure someone can fill in some of the Temple names; but that is my recollection.

The most interesting part of that tournament was the fact that RE surprised everyone by backing off the run-and-gun style and playing a very patient, half-court style.  It was a masterful coaching move by Ron that came so close to putting us in the NCAA tournament.

3/13/2019 8:51 am  #17

Coach & Sin talk about lack of respect from the league. I get Dambrots motivation strategy.But failing to take care of the basics, boxing out, limited turnovers, & shot selection all the rah rah comments means nothing. The guy that has been disrespected by the a-10 conference is EW. Eric can become another Aaron Jackson if this Duquesne team makes a run. If Chucker, TDM go cold feed the hot hand EW who can score inside outside & on the foul line unlike the other guards and forwards that have limitations.Go Dukes.

3/13/2019 9:48 am  #18

Can Dennis Rodman come in this summer and teach these guys how to rebound?  Just tell him Kim Jung Un is in town, he'll get here PDQ!   :-)

3/13/2019 10:57 am  #19

levon1975 wrote:

They actually defended Christmas well in that Championship game; but got beat by the other guard who was not a good shooter. The guy just had the best shooting day of his life that day. They also had trouble with the Temple center, a foreign player, who was awkward, but very tall. He got some easy baskets due to our lack of height.
I’m sure someone can fill in some of the Temple names; but that is my recollection.

The most interesting part of that tournament was the fact that RE surprised everyone by backing off the run-and-gun style and playing a very patient, half-court style. It was a masterful coaching move by Ron that came so close to putting us in the NCAA tournament.

Eh, they didn't defend Christmas well at all in the first half. He had 29 points, including 20 before halftime. Sergio Olmos was the awkward center. He gave us fits because of his size. Had 14 and 9. Ryan Brooks hit four threes for them, including a few big ones down the stretch when we made a few runs at them.

We were only down six with 3:50 to play, then missed two free throws and four field goal attempts on the next five possessions when neither team scored. The opportunity was there. I think the four games in four days killed us there, as we were every bit as good as Temple.

3/13/2019 1:02 pm  #20

mjp1542 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

They actually defended Christmas well in that Championship game; but got beat by the other guard who was not a good shooter. The guy just had the best shooting day of his life that day. They also had trouble with the Temple center, a foreign player, who was awkward, but very tall. He got some easy baskets due to our lack of height.

The most interesting part of that tournament was the fact that RE surprised everyone by backing off the run-and-gun style and playing a very patient, half-court style. It was a masterful coaching move by Ron that came so close to putting us in the NCAA tournament.

Eh, they didn't defend Christmas well at all in the first half. He had 29 points, including 20 before halftime. Sergio Olmos was the awkward center. He gave us fits because of his size. Had 14 and 9. Ryan Brooks hit four threes for them, including a few big ones down the stretch when we made a few runs at them.

We were only down six with 3:50 to play, then missed two free throws and four field goal attempts on the next five possessions when neither team scored. The opportunity was there. I think the four games in four days killed us there, as we were every bit as good as Temple.

mjp1542, I don't think there was any question that the Dukes ran out of gas.  Playing 153 out of the 160 minutes as an undersized center in the tourney, Damian Saunders had nothing left in the tank in the last 5 minutes of the Temple game.  AJAX also played 156 minutes in the tourney.  The lack of depth at the center position caught up with the Dukes; the backup was Oliver Lewinson and another big, Rodrigo Peggau was out since December with season ending surgery. 

Board footera