Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2019 1:31 pm  #1

A10 Awards

Carry to all rookie team and TDM voted 6th man.  Congratulations to both players, well deserved. 

How the hell does Eric Williams not make one of the All League teams?  I think he may want to come out and kick ass in the Tourney

Last edited by CLK (3/12/2019 1:41 pm)

3/12/2019 2:23 pm  #2

Re: A10 Awards

Cunningham making any team is a joke to me. He is the most over-rated player of this group, I’ve seen him on multiple occasions; but never have seen him do much of anything. He had a big rep coming into the season, but hasn’t delivered.
Also, how can Santos-Silva not make a team? The guy was really impressive in VCU games I was able to catch.
EW certainly has the potential to be a 1st teamer; but needs to work on skill development and consistency; but he is only a very young sophomore.
One more beef is with Stockard as a first-teamer.  Really, he was  one-trick pony, get the ball and drive to the basket, Frankie shut him down at Palumbo, frustrated him and made him look bad. 

Last edited by levon1975 (3/15/2019 1:10 pm)

3/12/2019 6:02 pm  #3

Eric a guard, had more rebounds than Cunningham, more points per game than Cunningham, was a better FT shooter than Cunningham, Eric had more steals than Cunningham, and the 8th best three point shooting average in the league.  The only thing Cunningham had over Eric  was a better overall FG%.  Eric should have been on one of those three teams.

3/12/2019 8:38 pm  #4

Congratulations to TDM & Sincere!

Condolences to EW. Both Cunningham & Jenkins seem like bad choices to me. 

IS anyone else shocked by TDM winning 6th Man? 

3/12/2019 9:34 pm  #5

The Dayton fans I was sitting next to were VERY impressed with EW's athleticism and would agree that he earned a mention.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/12/2019 9:39 pm  #6

I think Eric and Sin should both force their way onto the All-Tournament teams to show their displeasure for being left off the All-League teams.

3/12/2019 10:24 pm  #7

Who votes for the All Conference Team & Individual Selections?
Coaches?  Writers?  ADs?

3/13/2019 8:37 am  #8

I thought TDM would be in the running for 6th man, his few games when Sin was out probably cemented that award.
EW needs to get rid of, or greatly limit, the number of games scoring 4-5-6 pts.  He can be a 1st teamer next year.

3/13/2019 9:04 am  #9

Given that VCU has the best D in the conference and maybe top 5 or 10 in the country, little bit surprised no players made the all D team.

TDM probably ran away with 6th man of the year. I think he was already a frontrunner and then his performance with Carry out catapulted him well ahead of any other serious contenders

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/13/2019 1:56 pm  #10

yak-rbc wrote:

Given that VCU has the best D in the conference and maybe top 5 or 10 in the country, little bit surprised no players made the all D team.

TDM probably ran away with 6th man of the year. I think he was already a frontrunner and then his performance with Carry out catapulted him well ahead of any other serious contenders

Interesting. Last year I was 99% sure  by season's end that Tarin would win. I did not see this one coming after the eggs he laid in the last 2 games.

It bodes well for the future that the conference sees TDM as another Duke for whom particular gameplanning is required. having 4-6 guys for whom this is the case is a new phenomena on the Bluff.

3/13/2019 2:18 pm  #11

Just a little comment. I kind of thought Mike Hughes would make all defensive with one of the hightest shot block percentages in the league

3/13/2019 2:19 pm  #12

I see its only 1 league defensive  ut he has to be on the cusp

3/13/2019 4:30 pm  #13

I'll admit that for the most part I only watched our games, but these selections really seem bizarre to me. I'd take the second team and maybe even the all-rookie team over the first team. Cunningham seems to have skated by on reputation, as I think he was much better last year. I'm sure EW's inconsistency is what hurt him, but putting up 40 against the defensive player of the year has to count for something. Carry deserved mention on one of the teams for sure, as I'd say he was the best point guard I saw in the league this year. It is weird not to see the guy who led the league in blocks for most of the year on the all-defensive team, but I think Hughes' performance against the other bigs that made it hurt him. I think it's more a result of playing out of position than anything else, but the perception may have been he put up big numbers against weak opposition and struggled against the best bigs in the league.

3/13/2019 5:08 pm  #14

Mike's offensive numbers went down when teams started doubling down on him on nearly every pass into the post.  So they clearly respected his ability to score.  He was able to pass out of it and get open  looks for some others.  I think he definitely deserved some type of recognition, probably at least all defensive team due to his blocked shots.  Mike was pretty much a one-man gang in the middle for the Dukes and was normally outnumbered in the paint.  Hoping that he gets more help next season.  Perhaps there was  slight bias against Mike because he plays with an edge that might annoy opponents and coaches, but I'll take it anytime.

3/13/2019 8:17 pm  #15

Box & One wrote:

Who votes for the All Conference Team & Individual Selections?
Coaches?  Writers?  ADs?

To answer your question, coaches vote for the all-conference teams.

3/13/2019 9:07 pm  #16

levon1975 wrote:

Mike's offensive numbers went down when teams started doubling down on him on nearly every pass into the post.  So they clearly respected his ability to score.  He was able to pass out of it and get open  looks for some others.  I think he definitely deserved some type of recognition, probably at least all defensive team due to his blocked shots.  Mike was pretty much a one-man gang in the middle for the Dukes and was normally outnumbered in the paint.  Hoping that he gets more help next season.  Perhaps there was  slight bias against Mike because he plays with an edge that might annoy opponents and coaches, but I'll take it anytime.  

I wouldn't trade Mike for anyone. He had a really good season, should be even better next year if he can play more in position, and was a leader and emotional spark plug for the team even when he didn't bring his A game. Having said that, if the voters were making a heads up comparison, it didn't help Mike.

Hughes vs. all-defensive team big men: 8 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks
All-defensive team big men vs. Hughes: 12 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks

3/14/2019 10:55 am  #17

EWs games where he didn't care hurt him.

Like I said he has all the potential in the world. 

Roll Dukes Roll

3/14/2019 11:35 am  #18

currentstudent wrote:

This is way off base.  I have watch EW play every game the entire season.  He has had some bad shooting nights along the way (so do all players), but I have never seen him play "where he didn't care".  He is perhaps the most passionate player we have, and gives it all every game. 

3/14/2019 11:45 am  #19

CLK wrote:

I have watch EW play every game the entire season.  He has had some bad shooting nights along the way (so do all players), but I have never seen him play "where he didn't care".  He is perhaps the most passionate player we have, and gives it all every game. 

Agree 100% CLK. People have spoken about "body language," but I see consistent effort out of him. Even on long offensive sets where he doesn't get a touch, once the ball goes up he is looking at trajectory and defensive positioning, and then works his way to a spot that optimizes his chances for the rebound. Same thing on defense. His consistent reads, positioning, and hustle does not speak to a kid who "doesn't care." I see him as a wildly talented player who lost his touch for portions of the year, but responded by doubling down on rebounding and defense.

3/14/2019 12:11 pm  #20

CLK wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

This is way off base.  I have watch EW play every game the entire season.  He has had some bad shooting nights along the way (so do all players), but I have never seen him play "where he didn't care".  He is perhaps the most passionate player we have, and gives it all every game. 

When I watch EWJr. play, I see a guy who plays the NBA style. In my mind, there's a reason he comes off differently than other college players. He's so smooth and glides so well that, at times, he doesn't appear to be hustling. But that kid can really play. He does so many intangible things well. He's on his way to becoming a pro. That's why, when he's struggling with his shot, he turns his full attention to something else that needs to be done. He's the best player on Duquesne's team, in my opinion. Look out for the next two years! This guy is going to be a real star.

3/14/2019 12:24 pm  #21

Crosseye wrote:

CLK wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

When I watch EWJr. play, I see a guy who plays the NBA style. In my mind, there's a reason he comes off differently than other college players. He's so smooth and glides so well that, at times, he doesn't appear to be hustling. But that kid can really play. He does so many intangible things well. He's on his way to becoming a pro. That's why, when he's struggling with his shot, he turns his full attention to something else that needs to be done. He's the best player on Duquesne's team, in my opinion. Look out for the next two years! This guy is going to be a real star.

I completely agree, he makes it look easy, sometimes people perceive this as not caring. But even on his off nights he is always flying in for every. single. rebound. I remember at the beginning of the season he gave an interview where he said that he views his primary role on the team as a 'rebounding' which, to me, speaks a lot about the determination you need to have if that is the stat you are judging yourself against. Also, I think he doesn't get foul calls the way some other players do, not sure why, maybe the refs get the same negative perception about him. I've been impressed that he doesn't lose his head and throw a fit when the calls don't go his way which seems strangely often. He's incredibly talented and he knows it and he has a fire for this team, (dunked at the end of a win, played D to prevent that SLU player from getting 40) some people get turned off by that swagger but I love it and think the Dukes need it

3/14/2019 5:05 pm  #22

I believe that Eric is the most talented player on the team but he did have some issues with coach during some of the early season games. He didn't start about 3 games and got a lot of bench time in them. I've also seen where he doesn't always hustle back on defense more than a few times.

3/14/2019 5:08 pm  #23

I was very surprised to see Williams completely miss out on all mention, but like Hughes I think it was a matter of head to head against the guys who made it over him. The 40 points against Bess and St. Louis was incredible, but other than that he was outplayed.

Williams vs. Grady, Stockard, Kier, Brown, and Bess: 92 points, 46 rebounds, 7 assists, 8 steals, 18 turnovers, 17 fouls
Grady, Stockard, Kier, Brown, and Bess vs. Williams: 121 points, 43 rebounds, 19 assists, 9 steals, 27 turnovers, 12 fouls

Like CLK and VBC said, hopefully he takes it personally and goes off in the tourney.

3/14/2019 8:08 pm  #24

It's obvious that the coaches blew it after seeing Williams go head to head against Charlie Brown.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

Board footera