Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2019 8:13 pm  #1

My thoughts

As I see it, the team has 3 very good players, and I don't need to name them. A fourth, Marcus Weathers, is one of those solid, workmanlike guys that every team needs to have. We're weak at shooting guard, and we have no bench that can be counted on. There was a lot of hype on the board about our big men. They weren't close to being ready, which didn't surprise me, because I saw them all as projects. The injuries put us in somewhat of a bind, because you would have expected some improvement from Rotroff, and Kelly. Rotroff may not be ready until January, and Kelly will probably be redshirted. This means we're really going to be counting on the play of Ellis, and Swingle if we plan to make more than minimal improvement. The league is losing very little in terms of talent, so we'll need to show serious improvement, if we want to move up in the standings. Swingle wasn't deemed as ready to play as Kelly, and Rotroff were, and they were only able to make minimal contributions. Ellis is raw, and he wasn't able to practice. I'm not usually pessimistic, but It's looking like we may have to wait until 2020-21 for the real breakthrough. This is when the bigs should begin to really be a factor in games. Carry's knees are worrisome, and we really have no one to back him up. KD is going to have to work to develop Maceo, and Lamar into the type of combo guards that we had last year. Guys that may not be true point guards, but who can do a decent job of running the point if needed. I won't speculate on who will be leaving to open up Maceo's spot. The candidates aren't too hard to figure out.

3/14/2019 8:56 pm  #2

Re: My thoughts

Duq81 I think you nailed it and I think combo guards are an interesting theory and not considered enough in today's game. I recognize that you don't see it as much  today and maybe for good reason but there is no law against having them instead of only a point guard and a 2. Who was the point guard on those 80s Celtics teams ? Personally  I love Sincere but I am afraid we are not always going to have him and I see Hughes and our bigs the same way you do. Coach D in the end has to develop  the bigs and find a way to get the best out of each player and define for them the role that will best help the team. EW remains the most talented player and I don't think he has reached his full potential  and next year might be the year that you tell him that he is the man and work off of that! Then again... I want some football team to go back to 2 running backs and am a dinosaur! Haha thanks for your posts as always!

3/14/2019 9:20 pm  #3

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Duq81 I think you nailed it and I think combo guards are an interesting theory and not considered enough in today's game. I recognize that you don't see it as much today and maybe for good reason but there is no law against having them instead of only a point guard and a 2. Who was the point guard on those 80s Celtics teams ? Personally I love Sincere but I am afraid we are not always going to have him and I see Hughes and our bigs the same way you do. Coach D in the end has to develop the bigs and find a way to get the best out of each player and define for them the role that will best help the team. EW remains the most talented player and I don't think he has reached his full potential and next year might be the year that you tell him that he is the man and work off of that! Then again... I want some football team to go back to 2 running backs and am a dinosaur! Haha thanks for your posts as always!

LOL!!! Franco, and Rocky!!  There is always some coach who will pull an old formation out, and give it a new name. The single wing becomes the wildcat. Last year, we had three guards in Smith, Lewis, and Castro, who were really shooting guards, but who could run the team if need be. We may at the very least, need to have that option.

3/14/2019 11:51 pm  #4

I see a program that’s just desperate for something positive to happen that will awaken the students and potential basketball fans to Duquesne basketball again.  The above evaluations pretty accurately outline the harsh reality of how far we still have to go before we can be considered relevant even in the A-10.

3/14/2019 11:55 pm  #5

I always avoid posting after a heart wretching loss. Emotions seem to overwhelm at those times. Duq81, I usually think you are the most spot on poster, but I think I have a bit more faith than you. I am very optimistic about the future of the team, and I think Swingle, Ellis, (and mostly Maceo) will be nice additions to our team. I also think that Norman can slot into the 2 guard spot. My biggest concern for next year is having no home-court advantage. I think the year we open the Coop is our NCAA year. I mean that too. I expect the A10 To get 4-5 bids that year. It's an extremely young league.

Last edited by Simms (3/15/2019 12:15 am)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/15/2019 7:14 am  #6

Excellent points by all the posters.  I'll only add this:

Offensively next years team should be fine. Other than a bit of early in the shot clock bad 3 point shots ( contested , no one in good rebounding position ) this is due to the emphasis on the "3 ball" in the college game and is not peculiar to DU. 

The team is sometimes careless with the ball ( high risk / seemingly low reward passes ) and I'll attribute this to youth and again this is common across the college hoop spectrum.

Defensively is another story. The team plays the hedge ( particularly big Mike ) poorly and has not improved on it much, if at all, as the season wore on. Way too often either the guard turns the corner and attacks the defense or the closeout on the screener is way too late and the result is an open 3. This may be attributable to Mike's knee problems so I'll give him a pass but he has real problems defending in space.

This is why I suspect it may be difficult to field a lineup ( other than a few minutes here and there ) where Mike plays the 4 spot imagine him trying to guard a good 3 point man in the open court where there are rigidly enforced rules against restricting the players movement ). 

The rotations are often non-existant. How many times did St. Joes , St Louis , UMass ( 3 late season games ) drive to the hoop with a wide open path and no one slides over to take a charge or get the ball out of the drivers hands ?? This results in a wide open , uncontested layup.

3/15/2019 7:55 am  #7

ghost wrote:

Defensively is another story. The team plays the hedge ( particularly big Mike ) poorly and has not improved on it much, if at all, as the season wore on. Way too often either the guard turns the corner and attacks the defense or the closeout on the screener is way too late and the result is an open 3. This may be attributable to Mike's knee problems so I'll give him a pass but he has real problems defending in space.

This is why I suspect it may be difficult to field a lineup ( other than a few minutes here and there ) where Mike plays the 4 spot imagine him trying to guard a good 3 point man in the open court where there are rigidly enforced rules against restricting the players movement ). 

This may be true. If so, this will limit the impact that Ellis, and Swingle can have because neither will play the 4. That leaves them to back up Mike in the middle. Bizeau then becomes the only player we have that can back up Weathers at the 4, and Williams at the 3, at least until Rotroff is healthy. Williams is probably the most irreplaceable player on the team, even more than Carry. There is no one who can even remotely replace him if he were to be injured.
This is the problem with overrecruiting, and having unbalanced classes. We need help, and we're unable to get it without running players off.

3/15/2019 8:03 am  #8

ghost, great analysis.  We are going to improve as much as we improve defensively.  Last night's defense was awful for all the reasons you cited.  Will we be better next season?  There are some unknows. 

Who will transfer?
Is Ellis as good of a rim protector as has been described?
Who will step up or be added to be a quality back up point guard?
Will Rotroff and/or Kelly be available and ready next season?
Besides Weathers who will play the PF position?
Can Maceo be the consistent 2 guard we need?
Will our guys hit the weights and come out bigger and stronger next season?

Overall I am very pleased with KD and the progress of this team, however, as pointed out we need better play or better players if we are win this League.

3/15/2019 8:09 am  #9

duq81, I agree EW is our most irreplaceable player.  While both Maceo and M. Hughes can play the 3 spot, it is hard to replace the rebounding and intensity that EW brings.  He is "the man" on this team.  

3/15/2019 8:16 am  #10

Glass half full for me.
10 Conference wins and the ongoing process of changing the culture.
The injuries to Rotroff and Kelly really hurt. Didn't have much depth to begin with.
It's not going to happen overnight.
I'd like to see a stronger non-Conference schedule next year.
Nothing outrageous. I'd love to see a Big East team or two.

Last edited by Ghost of Walter White (3/15/2019 8:16 am)

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

3/15/2019 8:19 am  #11

Ghost of Walter White wrote:

Glass half full for me.
10 Conference wins and the ongoing process of changing the culture.
The injuries to Rotroff and Kelly really hurt. Didn't have much depth to begin with.
It's not going to happen overnight.
I'd like to see a stronger non-Conference schedule next year.
Nothing outrageous. I'd love to see a Big East team or two.

Agree with this. I'd give my right arm to see us play Villanova again. Of course any game vs a BE foe will be on the road.

3/15/2019 8:26 am  #12

CLK wrote:

ghost, great analysis.  We are going to improve as much as we improve defensively.  Last night's defense was awful for all the reasons you cited.  Will we be better next season?  There are some unknows. 

Who will transfer?

Overall I am very pleased with KD and the progress of this team, however, as pointed out we need better play or better players if we are win this League.

Thank you very much .  Thanks also to DUQ81.

Given the circumstances ( Lewis and Randall transfers , injuries to Austin R and Amari K ) that occurred in 2018-19 I too am pleased with the season as a whole.

There are indeed a lot of ??? as we look forward to the 2019-2020 season. The answers will be forthcoming in the next couple of months , they may not be what we want , but "it is what it is".

The roster construction to me has always looked a bit odd. I suspect when hired coach D tried to get as much talent as he could and would try and figure it out as they went along in years 2 , 3, 4 .

What perplexed me was , given coach D's long held faith in man to man ( and disdain for a zone ) why recruit as many "project Bigs" as we did and seemingly ignore the 6'5" - 6'7" athletes that populate the balance of other A-10 rosters.  The game today is mostly played with a point guard , a big dude , and 3 interchangeable athletes ( that are expected to be well rounded - handle the ball , shoot , rebound , defend , etc … ).

Having said all that , there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Perhaps the plan all along / going forward was - "We will play big , force your smaller players to defend our bigs closer to the rim , punish you on the glass ,  etc … "

Onward and Upward !!!

3/15/2019 9:24 am  #13

duq81 wrote:

As I see it, the team has 3 very good players, and I don't need to name them. A fourth, Marcus Weathers, is one of those solid, workmanlike guys that every team needs to have. We're weak at shooting guard, and we have no bench that can be counted on. There was a lot of hype on the board about our big men. They weren't close to being ready, which didn't surprise me, because I saw them all as projects. The injuries put us in somewhat of a bind, because you would have expected some improvement from Rotroff, and Kelly. Rotroff may not be ready until January, and Kelly will probably be redshirted. This means we're really going to be counting on the play of Ellis, and Swingle if we plan to make more than minimal improvement. The league is losing very little in terms of talent, so we'll need to show serious improvement, if we want to move up in the standings. Swingle wasn't deemed as ready to play as Kelly, and Rotroff were, and they were only able to make minimal contributions. Ellis is raw, and he wasn't able to practice. I'm not usually pessimistic, but It's looking like we may have to wait until 2020-21 for the real breakthrough. This is when the bigs should begin to really be a factor in games. Carry's knees are worrisome, and we really have no one to back him up. KD is going to have to work to develop Maceo, and Lamar into the type of combo guards that we had last year. Guys that may not be true point guards, but who can do a decent job of running the point if needed. I won't speculate on who will be leaving to open up Maceo's spot. The candidates aren't too hard to figure out.

Couple Questions/Comments on this:

1 - Why do you think Kelly will be redshirted?  From the people I know, its not as significant an injury as originally believed. 
2 - Saying James Ellis didn't practice is either wrong or misleading.  He was able to practice and received individual workout instruction throughout the season and summer.  He'll be doing the same from now until practices begin and then will be participating in practice.  He hit the weight room and is transforming his body.  He may not have played a game or participated in live team action during practice, but he also wasn't sitting on a couch either.
3 - It remains to be seen what we do with Rotroff or Kelly if they are not ready to go from day-1.  But, conference season doesn't start until January anyhow.  So, again, saying that we need to count on Ellis and Swingle to move up isn't accurate either.  These guys very well may be back by the first A10 game.  Of course they may not be as well. 
4 - Regarding moving up the standings.  We received the 7th seed in the tournament.  SLU and George Mason are losing significant pieces to their roster.  Moving up to 5 may not require much as long as we can hold off the teams beneath us which if we improve as much as they do, will happen.  Scheduling becomes an issue with the unbalanced league schedule, but you get the idea.  But I don't think we would have to show serious improvement to move up from 7.  To get into the top 4?....yes serious improvement is needed.  To just move up, not the case imho. 

3/15/2019 9:27 am  #14

CLK wrote:

Who will transfer?

Alot of questions.  But good ones.  KD put it best in the postgame interview saying something like, just because we return everyone doesn't mean we will be better.  You have to work to get better.  But, for as long as I've been following this league, the teams who are loaded with juniors and seniors tend to win.  These guys are physically more mature and just flat-out stronger.  Hopefully we begin to see that over the next 2 years and beyond.  KD has said from day-1, "get old and stay old".  That's his message and its a good one. 

3/15/2019 9:36 am  #15

I think the issue with the 2, such as there is one, is schematic as much as it is personnel (at the 2). Or at the very least, a combination of the two. Most of the Dukes shooters are rhythm, or less charitably, streaky, shooters. The execution of the offense had too much of the shot clock wasted with the 1 dribbling the ball into the court, with a lack of motion/movement to free the shooters. The Dukes certainly have some nice plays to get them open, it didn't seem like they were ran all that often. The offense was designed to get the shooters open through the post, which, due to fouls/injuries/etc, didn't happen all that often. 
If Carry goes down next year - I'd want to see them just give the ball to Eric, unless they are playing VCU or some other team who is good at the press, for a game to see what happens.  

3/15/2019 11:11 am  #16

Stew and Levon I agree with your assessments as noted on other thread.  Ghost and CLK you guys are spot on in this thread and I have a few things to add.  The Professor and I were talking this morning and we both agree we need another PG next year to back up SCarry.  Wade hasn't even really gotten off the bench in the last 3 games and that pretty much tells you the level of KD's confidence in him.  He's a good kid, but let's be honest here, when he was in 90% of the time he did not do well.  Professor said the lack of anyone else at PG caused KD to play TDM more at the point then he maybe would have liked and I agree with that.  TDM can bring the microwave off the bench when he is hitting and that should be his role, but when he is not shooting well - see last two games - and the other team gets past half court he is a defensive liability at they just shoot over him or bully him to the hoop.  I hate to think where we would have been at PG if we didn't sign Carry late.  So number one get another PG, either that kid from Virginia or a 5th year senior.  Next, I am not sold on Swingle as out of the gate he wasn't even ready to play before Rotroff or Kelly this year so they had to redshirt him.  We need Ellis to be what we hope he is, especially with the injuries to the other two.  My guess is that sometime in December Rotroff will start to play, but if Kelly is not ready until late January or February just redshirt him.  Does a medical redshirt count as a scholarship?  For all of the size we recruited we probably started one of the smallest teams  in the A-10.  I like Weathers, but we need more size at the forward spot and maybe we will see more of two bigs in the line-up at same time next year and I believe when we had a healthy roster this year we did see that a bit.  I do think that MH can be effective at the 4 with Ellis at the 5 so that will be interesting to see if that tandem gets time together next year.  Who will transfer?  Good question CLK, but I see that as inevitable as you need to continually upgrade the talent level.  I already gave my opinion on the PG position, but when healthy we will have a surplus of bigs so I see something happening there, maybe before next season.  With Maceo coming in we will then have 3 two guards (Lamar, Frankie and Maceo).  Do we need 3 two guards?????  And before anyone offers, I don't want to see Maceo at the small forward spot - he's a two guard.  That being said, we need need someone 6'6" or 6'7" to work with Eric at the 3.  We also need to improve defensively and I agree that we get beat to the hoop too much and we don't smother hot shooting teams well enough either.  This is an area where hard work can help.  EW can be an all A-10 player next year if he plays start to finish with the intensity I saw last night and he works on his ball handling over the summer.  We have a good core and we had a good season, but I believe we can and will get better.  It will be interesting to see what happens on the recruiting front and what next year's roster looks like when the season tips off.  Work hard this off season, come back hungry and GO DUKES!!! 

3/15/2019 1:38 pm  #17

Obi Toppin, the rookie of the year, was a redshirt freshman.  I am not saying Swingle will be Toppin but don’t assume negativity just beecause we elected to redshirt him

Last edited by kcc173 (3/15/2019 1:39 pm)

3/15/2019 2:27 pm  #18

Fair enough Kee.........time will tell.  Anyone know the answer of whether or not a medical red shirt counts against the scholie limit?

3/15/2019 3:11 pm  #19

PistolPete wrote:

Fair enough Kee.........time will tell.  Anyone know the answer of whether or not a medical red shirt counts against the scholie limit?

Medical redshirts ( assuming the player is on scholarship ) do count against the 13 player limit.

3/15/2019 3:11 pm  #20

PistolPete wrote:

I looked it up, it does.

3/15/2019 3:33 pm  #21

Opinions please if having Lewis and Randall would have resulted in any more wins? High many?

3/15/2019 4:12 pm  #22

Westender wrote:

Opinions please if having Lewis and Randall would have resulted in any more wins? High many?

We were weak at the 2, but who knows how well Randall would have played. As for Mike, I think the merry go round at the 2 hurt him. He was in and out, and never got into a rhythm.

3/15/2019 4:32 pm  #23

Westender wrote:

As far as Randall goes, I have to believe he saw the writing on the wall that he wasn’t good enough to get PT on this team. So I don’t think he would have helped at all.

The Lewis of the last two years definitely would have helped us. He didn’t seem to have it this year, even when he was on the floor though. I wish he was still here; and as many close games as we had, we might have won a couple more. Unless he also grew six inches I don’t think it would have made much of a difference in the overall scope of the season though.

3/16/2019 4:13 am  #24

The two guard may have started to sort itself out a bit as Lamar played a whale of a game against SJU. He should have the inside track as the starter next year. Frankie is either hot or cold. Maceo can play the point as well as the two. He is a really smart baller who will play next year. And, as he progresses physically, he should play a lot. Something we don’t talk about much because it really isn’t part of Coach’s philosophy is the zone defense. Yesterday, St. Louis beat Dayton by playing a big 1-3-1. Granted Toppin got hurt, but the zone was effective. URI changed the game by playing zone when Evans got hurt. Mixing in the zones helped to create these big upsets. A big zone could allow Michael to play the four. Perhaps, Marcus could play some in Eric’s spot. The league was super young this year. Could be a 3 or more bid league next year including the Dukes. The Coaches know what needs to be done. Looking forward toward hearing about progress during the next months. Go Dukes!

3/16/2019 7:31 am  #25

HookShot wrote:

The two guard may have started to sort itself out a bit as Lamar played a whale of a game against SJU. He should have the inside track as the starter next year. Frankie is either hot or cold. Maceo can play the point as well as the two. He is a really smart baller who will play next year. And, as he progresses physically, he should play a lot. Something we don’t talk about much because it really isn’t part of Coach’s philosophy is the zone defense. Yesterday, St. Louis beat Dayton by playing a big 1-3-1. Granted Toppin got hurt, but the zone was effective. URI changed the game by playing zone when Evans got hurt. Mixing in the zones helped to create these big upsets. A big zone could allow Michael to play the four. Perhaps, Marcus could play some in Eric’s spot. The league was super young this year. Could be a 3 or more bid league next year including the Dukes. The Coaches know what needs to be done. Looking forward toward hearing about progress during the next months. Go Dukes!

Coach seems dead set against playing much zone though. If he doesn't believe in it, he's not going to do a good job coaching it.

Board footera