Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2019 2:07 pm  #1

Bad start, too young, & no depth is all a matter of perspective

The Bonnies started 3 freshmen today, played 6 guys, & just reached the A-10 final with a 17-15 record. Mark Schmidt & crew have a program to be admired & emulated. DU is going to be thought of this way in a few years. I can feel it!

3/16/2019 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Bad start, too young, & no depth is all a matter of perspective

Agree with you and I have the same feel! It is hard to be patient after so many years. Also  I know its not MLB but the Pirates of Clint Hurdle s earlier years had some disappointing finishes to seasons after good starts too but you could feel the change and they eventually broke through to make the playoffs!I think this program is knocking on the door and the closer it gets the harder it becomes  but as my friend Stew preaches...more  patience! Go Dukes

3/16/2019 2:32 pm  #3

One thing many forget, not only were we young this year, we had a whole new team composed of young guys who never played together.  There is no other team in the League with less actual game experience.  Put in that context what KD achieved this year is remarkable.  I am very optimistic about next year, even given the fact that we will be playing our home games off campus.  On question, where will the Dukes practice as Palumbo will be under construction?

3/16/2019 4:30 pm  #4

CLK wrote:

One thing many forget, not only were we young this year, we had a whole new team composed of young guys who never played together.  There is no other team in the League with less actual game experience.  Put in that context what KD achieved this year is remarkable.  I am very optimistic about next year, even given the fact that we will be playing our home games off campus.  On question, where will the Dukes practice as Palumbo will be under construction?

I'm not buying that we're playing our games off campus. PPG is on campus, and there's no excuse for the students not to come. Playing all of our games there will give the team a chance to get used to playing there. We had a nice home court advantage playing at the Civic Arena when we had good teams. If we're good enough, we'll win games at the PPG.

3/16/2019 4:51 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I'm not buying that we're playing our games off campus. PPG is on campus, and there's no excuse for the students not to come. Playing all of our games there will give the team a chance to get used to playing there. We had a nice home court advantage playing at the Civic Arena when we had good teams. If we're good enough, we'll win games at the PPG.

Well it is a good thing you are not buying, because I am not selling.  I used the term "off campus" because the schedule is not set yet and I have heard that there could be home games played at neutral sites.  However, you have to admit there is a big difference between playing at a packed 10,000 seat Civic Arena with 90%+ rooting for the Dukes, and an almost empty 14,000 seat Paints Arena.  I am not saying we can't win games there, but it does just neutralize the home court advantage.

3/16/2019 4:52 pm  #6

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Well it is a good thing you are not buying, because I am not selling.  I used the term "off campus" because the schedule is not set yet and I have heard that there could be home games played at neutral sites.  However, you have to admit there is a big difference between playing at a packed 10,000 seat Civic Arena with 90%+ rooting for the Dukes, and an almost empty 14,000 seat Paints Arena.  I am not saying we can't win games there, but it does just neutralize the home court advantage.

3/16/2019 5:22 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

I have heard that there could be home games played at neutral sites.

I can't remember who it was that told me, but it was someone who knows, that all home games next year will be at PPG, both non-conference and conference.  Expect a tougher non-conference schedule as various home and homes are in the works with us obviously playing these on the road next season.  That will result in a strong schedule for the next 2 seasons.  Also expect as many doubleheaders with the women's team as can be arranged.

3/16/2019 5:24 pm  #8

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

There can be zero doubt we are in a tougher spot by playing at PPG.  It wont even remotely resemble a home court advantage. Also, we will have significantly less homes games due to this which creates more opportunities for losses. Then, in A10 play, it will really hurt. How much, who knows?  But itll be an obstacle.

Instead of playing homes games v. UMES, we could get creative. Try to a play a game in Akron again, Palestra, Hershey, etc.  You might get a semi decent opponent willing to play these games.  Dont forget we also have the Bahamas tournament.

I wouldn't let this get to out of control in terms of impossible games and to much travel because this team could have NCAA bubble written all over them...

3/16/2019 6:42 pm  #9

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

There can be zero doubt we are in a tougher spot by playing at PPG. It wont even remotely resemble a home court advantage. Also, we will have significantly less homes games due to this which creates more opportunities for losses. Then, in A10 play, it will really hurt. How much, who knows? But itll be an obstacle.

Instead of playing homes games v. UMES, we could get creative. Try to a play a game in Akron again, Palestra, Hershey, etc. You might get a semi decent opponent willing to play these games. Dont forget we also have the Bahamas tournament.

I wouldn't let this get to out of control in terms of impossible games and to much travel because this team could have NCAA bubble written all over them...

We were going to need to improve our ooc schedule anyway. If you can't win some Quad1 and Quad 2 games, you're not getting a bid. None of our road games can be against low majors. You just can't risk that kind of loss. We have 9 ooc games after Pitt, and the Bahamas. Are we returning the Marshall game? Play 4 games vs the best teams willing to do a home and home. Play one elite on the road. Players love those games, makes them feel big time, especially if they compete. Aren't we doing the Mountain West challenge? Try to make our 2019 game a road game, so we can have a nice home opponent in 2020. At our level, you can't get where you want to go by playing scrubs at home. You have to challenge yourself. You don't have to dominate a strong schedule, you just have to make sure you collect a few scalps. If you aren't capable of beating some good teams, guess what, you suck, and you don't deserve any consideration.

3/16/2019 8:20 pm  #10

I look at PPG as maybe helping the team get acclimated to a less homey environment.  I can remember  the early 70s at the arena...precious memories

3/17/2019 8:47 am  #11

Hey sorry for being ignorant on this one but did we get invited to the Battle for Atlantis?  I saw the reference to the Bahamas tournament.

3/17/2019 9:18 am  #12

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I'm not buying that we're playing our games off campus. PPG is on campus, and there's no excuse for the students not to come. Playing all of our games there will give the team a chance to get used to playing there. We had a nice home court advantage

WEB:  Playing at the "Palestra" - should be OUT -  Given that there are so many teams in Philly - and while Penn might be the only one that still uses it - and the team makes trips to Philly to play either St. Joes or La Salle - doesn't seem good to me -  am wondering what will happen to the ladies - other than double headers - can't imagine too many games (if any) on a stand alone at PPG -  Doubt if Pitt would do us any favors (or if DU would want them)  was wondering if THEY are considering CMU and/or Carlow - both of which must have college gyms on campus - with some capacity - and could be available as sites for the ladies games - 

There can be zero doubt we are in a tougher spot by playing at PPG. It wont even remotely resemble a home court advantage. Also, we will have significantly less homes games due to this which creates more opportunities for losses. Then, in A10 play, it will really hurt. How much, who knows? But itll be an obstacle.

Instead of playing homes games v. UMES, we could get creative. Try to a play a game in Akron again, Palestra, Hershey, etc. You might get a semi decent opponent willing to play these games. Dont forget we also have the Bahamas tournament.

3/17/2019 9:42 am  #13

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

You can't get on the bubble without playing, and beating good teams.

3/17/2019 10:18 am  #14

Duq81 CLK and the always insightful SkepticAl...good points all! I think there may be some consensus here in your comments about needing to get some wins OOC against better teams and it is a question of how. While  I agree with CLK and SkepticAl that PPG might not be the same as Palumbo in terms of home court  I also agree with Duq81 that it has a big time feel to it and certainly if done right  a more big time feel to it if near capacity? As I have said many times before that I am a dinosaur on many things sports but why not something like  a Chuck Cooper Classic with Pitt  WVU and Penn State and an old Steel Bowl format , I realize that it has to work for the visiting teams and that this might be easier said than done but to me  appears to make some sense. I picked them because of local fan base and maybe a decent amount of fans from each team so nobody too worried about home court advantage  and 3 Power 5 and an A10 team ? Also agree with Duq81 and SkepticAl
On Palestra and maybe a series with Villanova ,and I would tell Notre Dame football that they can't use Rooney without a basketball game at PPG Haha. Sort of kidding  on last one but trying to get creative too and I do believe Dave Harper will get it right

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (3/17/2019 10:37 am)

3/17/2019 1:09 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

We were going to need to improve our ooc schedule anyway. If you can't win some Quad1 and Quad 2 games, you're not getting a bid. None of our road games can be against low majors. You just can't risk that kind of loss. We have 9 ooc games after Pitt, and the Bahamas. Are we returning the Marshall game? Play 4 games vs the best teams willing to do a home and home. Play one elite on the road. Players love those games, makes them feel big time, especially if they compete. Aren't we doing the Mountain West challenge? Try to make our 2019 game a road game, so we can have a nice home opponent in 2020. At our level, you can't get where you want to go by playing scrubs at home. You have to challenge yourself. You don't have to dominate a strong schedule, you just have to make sure you collect a few scalps. If you aren't capable of beating some good teams, guess what, you suck, and you don't deserve any consideration.

The Mountain West challenge does not begin next season.

3/17/2019 2:23 pm  #16

phil95 wrote:

The Bonnies started 3 freshmen today, played 6 guys, & just reached the A-10 final with a 17-15 record. Mark Schmidt & crew have a program to be admired & emulated. DU is going to be thought of this way in a few years. I can feel it!

The Bonnies just lost to the Billikens for the A10 title. Can't say I'm going to fall into a state of depression about it even though it has the sound of a jealous poor sport (which it is).Just have a thing about St.Bona and want to ask how you all rate their Freshmen and Sophs against ours.

3/17/2019 3:06 pm  #17

SBU had two seniors, Griffin and Stockard, combined for
32 of SBU's 53 points.  
If Kelly, Rotroff and Carry were all healthy the Dukes could have been in
the final game.
IMO,  Dukes frosh and sophs are a bit better than SBU.

3/17/2019 4:45 pm  #18

Lofton, Osunnuyi and Welch look pretty good for Freshmen, especially Lofton. Don't know much  about their other Frosh and Sophs.

3/17/2019 6:22 pm  #19

Westender wrote:

phil95 wrote:

The Bonnies just lost to the Billikens for the A10 title. Can't say I'm going to fall into a state of depression about it even though it has the sound of a jealous poor sport (which it is).Just have a thing about St.Bona and want to ask how you all rate their Freshmen and Sophs against ours.

As far as Freshman go . Huge edge at this time to "O" vs. the 3 bigs DU played.  I can't say for certain by their Jr. year if one or 2 of our 5 "Bigs" ( Ellis, Swingle , Kelly , Rotroff or Bizzeau ) will be better than "O" , but I can't say they won't be at least his equal.  For right now , he is the superior player.

Curry vs. Lofton  >> Slight edge to Curry. I think he has a more rounded game at this time. Both are really good players as freshman , and it is a coin flip in my mind who will be the better player as we move forward.

Norman vs Welch  >>  Just my opinion but Norman has a higher ceiling , and Welch a higher floor. I wanna see Norman take the 2 spot and run with it next season ( 25 minutes a game , 15 ppg , and be a  defensive presence ). Welch's upside is not as high as Norman's, For me give me Lamar's upside vs. the chance his development stagnates and he is just kind what he is now.

Sophomore class  >>  Huge edge to DU as I don't see the Bonnies playing many of the Soph . or Jr . class much at all.  Heck , I couldn't name their players here at all.

3/17/2019 7:53 pm  #20

How will we not be over our numbers next year with the new kids coming in???

3/17/2019 7:55 pm  #21

Judge Jack, I like the idea in brining back the Steel Bowl with Pitt, DU, WVU and Penn State.  I don't know given scheduling if would work out, but great idea.

I see that my question may have gotten lost in this conversation, so I will ask again.  Does anyone know where the Dukes will practice during the Palumbo renovations?  Will the practice gym still be available?  

3/17/2019 8:33 pm  #22

Fam.  We were 1 over last fall until Rsndall left.  Coaches have a plan, I am sure , so to me it is fun to discuss but not anything to worry about

3/17/2019 8:39 pm  #23

CLK asked:[b][b]I see that my question may have gotten lost in this conversation, so I will ask again.  Does anyone know where the Dukes will practice during the Palumbo renovations?  Will the practice gym still be available?  [/b][/b]
The answer is at the Powers Center on Forbes Avenue. above the Bookstore and the Coffee Shop!  Pracctice gym will not be available for either team.

3/17/2019 8:49 pm  #24

FAM wrote:

How will we not be over our numbers next year with the new kids coming in???

Someone has to go. We're one under right now, with no seniors, and Ellis, and Maceo being added to the mix next year.

3/18/2019 7:55 am  #25

grammudder wrote:

CLK asked:[b][b]I see that my question may have gotten lost in this conversation, [/b][/b]so I will ask again.  Does anyone know where the Dukes will practice during the Palumbo renovations?  Will the practice gym still be available?  
The answer is at the Powers Center on Forbes Avenue. above the Bookstore and the Coffee Shop!  Pracctice gym will not be available for either team.

Thanks Grammy. I can't imagine how they are going to coordinate practices for MBB, WBB, DU other sports and student use.

Board footera