Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2013 6:17 pm  #1

Brad Stevens to coach the Celtics

This one shocks me. He turned down some high-profile NCAA jobs to stay with the Bulldogs. Now, he's going to the Celts while they're rebuilding.

Didn't learn from Pitino. Or John Carroll.

Some twits are tweeting that Jamie Dixon should go to Butler. Wouldn't that be a kick in the kick in the ol' pittsack.

7/03/2013 6:24 pm  #2

Re: Brad Stevens to coach the Celtics

Butler is not exactly a place for much activity.  I doubt he would leave Pitt or Pittsburgh.  He seems to be very loyal to Pitt.  He is basically a good guy.

7/03/2013 8:13 pm  #3

FAM wrote:

Butler is not exactly a place for much activity.  I doubt he would leave Pitt or Pittsburgh.  He seems to be very loyal to Pitt.  He is basically a good guy.

The idea that Dixon would leave an ACC school that pays him 2 million a year to go to a glorified mid major league is ludicrous. You could count the schools that Dixon would leave Pitt for on one hand. Dixon is a good guy. Ron Everhart would vouch for that. He has built a winning program, without recruiting a bunch of thugs, and slimeballs. When Dixon came to see RE in the hospital, and when his team flew in after a game in Chicago, and came straight to Palumbo to cheer on the Dukes in their upset of Xavier, I didn't become a Pitt fan, but I stopped being miserable when they won. You can want to beat your rival, but still give them credit. I can't stand the Ravens, but I have plenty of respect for what is a very well run franchise, and I enjoy the rivalry immensely. Rivalries are actually more fun when both teams are good.

7/04/2013 8:39 am  #4

I agree - in fact, with  one of the Girl's recruits switching from Duquesne to Pitt because of McConnell Serio and her getting another recruit from the WPIAL, I actually like the Men's Team and Coach more than the women's coach and team now.

Last edited by FAM (7/04/2013 8:40 am)

7/04/2013 11:35 am  #5

Listen, you guys pooh-pooh stuff way too quickly. While the ACC is a better place than the new Big Least, and while Pitt has accomplished more than Butler - check that, Stevens has accomplished more AND is considered a better coach by most experts.

Anyway, while Pitt has unlimited $$$ and Dixon is well loved - check that, despite all he has done, Dixon has taken some slings and arrows from the Pitthead faithful.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway, while I get your point about why it may seem unlikely, I've learned that you never say never.

7/04/2013 11:37 am  #6

FAM wrote:

I agree - in fact, with  one of the Girl's recruits switching from Duquesne to Pitt because of McConnell Serio and her getting another recruit from the WPIAL, I actually like the Men's Team and Coach more than the women's coach and team now.

In the swap of a would-be DU recruit for a would-be Pitt recruit, I think (based only what I've read) that WE actually got the better of the deal. Time will tell.

7/04/2013 8:48 pm  #7

ElDuque wrote:

FAM wrote:

In the swap of a would-be DU recruit for a would-be Pitt recruit, I think (based only what I've read) that WE actually got the better of the deal. Time will tell.

THAT was when the Pittsburgh newspapers thought the Blackhawk girl was going to Pitt! It will be interesting to see if that viewpoint changes now that she is going to Duquesne.

7/04/2013 9:28 pm  #8

That was also when Walsh (the previous DU recruit now committed to Pitt) was playing with a stress fracture IIRC.

7/06/2013 6:10 am  #9

Actually, I think the difference is that the girl from Blackhawk is more of a shooter and the other girl is more of a passer. I know some of the articles I read mentioned the injury to the second girl, but both have played a couple years in HS so guys like Mike White should be able to make decent judgments.

Again, time will tell. The girl going to Pitt gets the benefit of playing for an all-time PG. No one should doubt that the Pitt coach will help her reach her potential. We'll learn a lot about Dan Burt going forward,

Rogabee, what does IIRC stand for?

7/06/2013 11:08 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

Actually, I think the difference is that the girl from Blackhawk is more of a shooter and the other girl is more of a passer. I know some of the articles I read mentioned the injury to the second girl, but both have played a couple years in HS so guys like Mike White should be able to make decent judgments.

Again, time will tell. The girl going to Pitt gets the benefit of playing for an all-time PG. No one should doubt that the Pitt coach will help her reach her potential. We'll learn a lot about Dan Burt going forward,

Rogabee, what does IIRC stand for?

If I recall correctly.

7/07/2013 6:47 pm  #11

ElDuque, it's played out that way in high school games simply because Blackhawk needs more scoring.  Walsh from Seton LaSalle could be more of a passer, as it helps to have players like Heintz (a DU commit) on your team.  IMO it was more a matter of necessity rather than skillset.

Last edited by rogabee (7/07/2013 6:49 pm)

7/07/2013 7:30 pm  #12

We got the one SMS didn't want...

7/07/2013 7:33 pm  #13

And i hope 'ours' puts on a City Game show...

7/07/2013 9:27 pm  #14

Jeralta wrote:

With the Blackhawk recruit's talent I'd find it hard to believe that SMS didn't want her. Perhaps the two personalities don't mesh--I think that would make more sense considering what just transpired.

7/07/2013 10:24 pm  #15

apluski wrote:

Jeralta wrote:

With the Blackhawk recruit's talent I'd find it hard to believe that SMS didn't want her. Perhaps the two personalities don't mesh--I think that would make more sense considering what just transpired.

Apparently, the two girls are good friends. They probably didn't think it made sense to both go to Pitt, since they play the same position. Since Walsh had a relationship with Suzie, and Omo didn't, the switch made sense.

7/08/2013 10:43 am  #16

They're both seniors this year, right? Should give Mike White some good stuff to write about.

7/08/2013 11:00 am  #17

ElDuque wrote:

They're both seniors this year, right? Should give Mike White some good stuff to write about.

According to Pitt fans, Mike "Blue and White" hates Pitt, and will only write about kids who are going to "Perv St."

7/08/2013 3:07 pm  #18

I've never noticed any "anti Pitt" bias on the part of Mike White. Seriously anyone who doesn't wear a Pitt cheerleader uniform to work everyday in the local media is labeled anti-Pitt by these paranoid schizoids at Pitt.   If Mike was truly "anti-Pitt" he probably couldn't have worked in this town for the last 20 plus years.

As far as the two transfers Cassidy/Chassidy; I believe they are both 2015 grads, so they would be rising Juniors this year.  I saw Walsh play, but with the cast on her leg, so its hard to say how good she can be.  She really couldn't go to the basket at all witht her stress fracture. Both are still very young with much time to improve.

7/08/2013 3:30 pm  #19

Isn't Mike White a DU grad?

7/09/2013 9:26 am  #20

Pitt fans, especially the football ones, are the most insecure group of people I have every talked with.  They believe that everyone hates them, that anyone who goes to Penn State is going to Hell, that they are always trying to prove something, and that their school is a lot more academically advanced than it really is.  They really need therapy.

7/09/2013 10:19 am  #21

ElDuque wrote:

I believe he is.

7/09/2013 11:44 am  #22

FAM wrote:

Pitt fans, especially the football ones, are the most insecure group of people I have every talked with.  They believe that everyone hates them, that anyone who goes to Penn State is going to Hell, that they are always trying to prove something, and that their school is a lot more academically advanced than it really is.  They really need therapy.

I hate them and the hellhorse they rode in on. And their school, and their teams, and everything they stand for. So, really, they're right.

7/09/2013 11:51 am  #23

Mulder wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I believe he is.

He is, and he wrote for The Duke just two years after I graduated. He was a contemporary of Mark "Flounder" Madden, who was on my sports staff when he was a sophomore. Flounder did a decent job with IM hockey.  Dejan was also a beat reporter for The Duke, a few years after that. Now that the Gumberg library has all of that stuff on-line, I've actually seen some of the stuff that White and Kovacevic wrote as students, although I still haven't seen anything by The Professor John Clayton.

Board footera