Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2013 1:40 pm  #1

New Post Gazette Beat Writer for DU Hoops

Stephen J. Nesbitt ‏@stephenjnesbitt Thrilled to announce I'll be joining the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette next month as a West Virginia football and Duquesne basketball beat writer.

7/16/2013 3:34 pm  #2

Re: New Post Gazette Beat Writer for DU Hoops

CLK wrote:

Stephen J. Nesbitt ‏@stephenjnesbitt Thrilled to announce I'll be joining the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette next month as a West Virginia football and Duquesne basketball beat writer.

hope he is better than the last two,
we out of towners depend on this board and yuku to get the real reports any how.

this old fan is encouraged with reports of the new comers and our transfers, maybe this year could return us to the mid to upper teens in wins this year and build on towards a future championship.

A diehard fan since 1961

7/16/2013 5:29 pm  #3

WVU football and DU basketball appear to be the entry level position in the PG sports department.  "Here kid, we will test you for a year on this.  If you are worth anything you will be promoted.  If not, see you later."

7/17/2013 11:24 am  #4

Looking forward to highly professional reporting on our Dukes. Moving forward, we deserve nothing less.

7/17/2013 11:52 am  #5

I thought that Paul Zeise did a nice job but good luck to the new guy.

7/17/2013 12:52 pm  #6

Zeise is a good basketball guy with a solid understanding of the game, a basketball junkie of sorts; so you probably won't find a better local reporter on basketball.  He is, of course, deeply infected with the Pitt virus (especially now that his son has committed to Pitt for football); but I thought he dealt very fairly with Duquesne in a season where positives were hard to come by. 
I hope Mr Nesbitt first has some knowledge and interest in basketball; and gives the Dukes some early preseason coverage.  Typically the reporter that is split between WVU football and Dukes basketball doesn't give us any coverage until the regular college football season is over.

Last edited by levon1975 (7/17/2013 12:53 pm)

7/17/2013 2:40 pm  #7

I feel that Zeise did a nice job with us last year and I hate to lose him. One bit of advice for the new guy--at least show up at the home games before writing your article. 

7/17/2013 5:17 pm  #8

What the hell do I know, but I have this feeling that we may have ended up with a passionate, knowledgable reporter in Stephen Nesbitt.  ElDuque could probably could chime in on this best, but Stephen was the Sports Editor at the Michigan Daily, the University of Michigan's student run paper.  He has previously interned for the Post-Gazette and the Indianapolis Star.

Here's a link to access his stories at the Michigan Daily:  http://www.michigandaily.com/people/stnesbit/Stephen%20J.%20Nesbitt

His last SportsMonday column, "An overdue story for Papa" will give you an insight into his family, upbringing and passion for sports.

Here's hoping that Stephen's career path parallels the rise in the fortunes of Duquesne basketball over the next couple of years.

7/17/2013 9:14 pm  #9

Phoenix I'm completely open-minded. He seems like a breath of fresh air in a newspaper that desparately needs it. The P-G has saddled Duquesne basketball fans with the likes of Phil Axelrod, who studied journalism under Benjamin Franklin, and witty columnists like Bob Smizik, who started his career carving stories on cave walls. Jenn did a fair job and Zeise was good. I thought Steve's name seemed familiar to me but I'm probably mistaken.

I wish him well!

7/18/2013 9:05 am  #10

ElDuque wrote:

Phoenix I'm completely open-minded. He seems like a breath of fresh air in a newspaper that desparately needs it. The P-G has saddled Duquesne basketball fans with the likes of Phil Axelrod, who studied journalism under Benjamin Franklin, and witty columnists like Bob Smizik, who started his career carving stories on cave walls. Jenn did a fair job and Zeise was good. I thought Steve's name seemed familiar to me but I'm probably mistaken.

I wish him well!

Ah, my young friend El Duque who studied under Tom Brokaw? Brian Williams? Norah O'Donnell? Or someone yet unborn?

Be careful in your youthful excuberance sir as you tempt fate..."modern theory, based on studies of more modern hunter-gatherer societies, is that the paintings were made by Cro-Magnon shaman. The shaman would retreat into the darkness of the caves, enter into a trance state and then paint images of their visions, perhaps with some notion of drawing power out of the cave walls themselves." May Shaman Smizik not bring his curse upon you!

As may be true of the ghost of Benjamin Franklin..."It was not long before Franklin's newspaper became an important aspect to Pennsylvanian Society. Filled with advertisements, satire, wit, journals of his science experiments and propaganda, the Pennsylvania Gazette was a publication that a large amount of the population enjoyed reading. Using the skills he picked up from the Courant, Franklin wielded his paper as a tool for political and philosophical influence."  Perhaps, you may be forgiven, sir, as I am sure his influence in New Jersey was barely felt as the majority of its inhabitants could only infrequently understand the few pictures in his journals.

Ye tempt fate sir in besmirching these elder journalists!  But that is one of the problems of youth with which I know you are cursed.

7/18/2013 8:21 pm  #11

Ah, Mulder, I learned from two Duquesne legends.

I learned journalism from Paul "Mr. K." Krakowski.

I learned PR from Nellie King.

God bless them; I miss them both.

7/19/2013 8:34 am  #12

ElDuque wrote:

Ah, Mulder, I learned from two Duquesne legends.

I learned journalism from Paul "Mr. K." Krakowski.

I learned PR from Nellie King.

God bless them; I miss them both.

Had a class with Mr. K myself.  Great guy.

Board footera