Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2024 6:34 pm  #1

Another win

The women keep doing what they have to do and win.  It’s time to start scoreboard watching for the double bye.  And Dayton beating Mason would be a good place tomorrow to start.

2/10/2024 8:34 pm  #2

Re: Another win

LaSalle essentially held the ball -  Supposedly they were missing one of their top scorers .  90% of the time they would be dribbling it at half court until the shot clock was down to 10 seconds or less before going into their offense.  Precious has a Double Double.  Megan had 9 points 11 rebounds. Final was 57-52

Need to take care of business on Wednesday and keep rolling.  Kudos to the staff and players.

2/11/2024 3:10 pm  #3

Hopefully Precious will be available after her apparent injury late in the game.  It looked like an arm injury after a tie up with both players falling to the floor. 
The Dukes would have put this one away earlier if not for some truly ridiculous calls, seemingly all going against Duquesne.  There were so many calls that were very creatively screwed up, so they would go against Duquesne.  Perhaps the worst was when Wasylson drove for a dagger layup as she was crashed into by a LaSalle player!  It was a no-brainer since the defender was inside the arc.  Clearly a basket and one!  Nope, the ref called a charge, no basket and a Duquesne foul!  If anyone actually bet on women’s basketball, I would have sworn the refs were shaving points to prevent the Dukes from covering.  In reality just an embarrassing performance by the officials in this one.

2/12/2024 12:23 pm  #4

levon1975 wrote:

Hopefully Precious will be available after her apparent injury late in the game. It looked like an arm injury after a tie up with both players falling to the floor.
The Dukes would have put this one away earlier if not for some truly ridiculous calls, seemingly all going against Duquesne. There were so many calls that were very creatively screwed up, so they would go against Duquesne. Perhaps the worst was when Wasylson drove for a dagger layup as she was crashed into by a LaSalle player! It was a no-brainer since the defender was inside the arc. Clearly a basket and one! Nope, the ref called a charge, no basket and a Duquesne foul! If anyone actually bet on women’s basketball, I would have sworn the refs were shaving points to prevent the Dukes from covering. In reality just an embarrassing performance by the officials in this one.

Maybe one of the worst calls this season, in a season of really bad officiating in the women's games.

2/13/2024 5:54 pm  #5

Why is the officiating so so bad in the women's games?  All refs are going to make calls that we as observers don't agree with; but when the calls are so bizarre that you seriously question whether the official has ever played, or even watched much basketball, there is something seriously amiss!  Having done a few years of basketball officiating, I know it can be a challenging sport to call.  To be fair to the young people trying to call the games, perhaps some better training might help. 

2/14/2024 7:39 am  #6

levon1975 wrote:

Why is the officiating so so bad in the women's games?  All refs are going to make calls that we as observers don't agree with; but when the calls are so bizarre that you seriously question whether the official has ever played, or even watched much basketball, there is something seriously amiss!  Having done a few years of basketball officiating, I know it can be a challenging sport to call.  To be fair to the young people trying to call the games, perhaps some better training might help. 

Levon:  Good points but it seems like Officiating is Seriously Declining in ALL Sports -  perhaps due to Increased Scrutiny -  Look no further than the men's game last night -  EVERY week in the NFL fans on the Internet are calling for entire crews to be fired because they missed "obvious calls"  (in the Super Bowl the replays showed an Offensive Lineman was FAR downfield on a 49'ers TD pass)  We all know about the "they could call holding on EVERY PLAY" .   With some of those enlarged screens IF you watch baseball which I rarely do they show several balls and strikes calls that seemed to be missed -  certain umpires have reputations that are atrocious and fans call for their removal -  AND due to the Umpires Union etc -  some of these even get post season assignments.
I wonder if Soccer fans insist "Our Sport is Poorly Officiated when there is ONE ref covering 22 players and a 120 yard field (while there are a pair of sideline officials to spot balls etc

2/14/2024 10:18 am  #7

SkepticAl wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Levon:  Good points but it seems like Officiating is Seriously Declining in ALL Sports -  perhaps due to Increased Scrutiny -  Look no further than the men's game last night -  EVERY week in the NFL fans on the Internet are calling for entire crews to be fired because they missed "obvious calls"  (in the Super Bowl the replays showed an Offensive Lineman was FAR downfield on a 49'ers TD pass)  We all know about the "they could call holding on EVERY PLAY" .   With some of those enlarged screens IF you watch baseball which I rarely do they show several balls and strikes calls that seemed to be missed -  certain umpires have reputations that are atrocious and fans call for their removal -  AND due to the Umpires Union etc -  some of these even get post season assignments.
I wonder if Soccer fans insist "Our Sport is Poorly Officiated when there is ONE ref covering 22 players and a 120 yard field (while there are a pair of sideline officials to spot balls etc

I barely watch football anymore because of the interpretation of what a catch is, or a football move, and all of these things that are up to judgement and how the certain person understands the rule. With sports betting it casts other forms of doubt about referee intentions and such. Officiating will always be a factor and some games are far worse than others... There's some things that have left me scratching my head this year in basketball for sure.

2/14/2024 11:12 am  #8

BluffHunter wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

I barely watch football anymore because of the interpretation of what a catch is, or a football move, and all of these things that are up to judgement and how the certain person understands the rule. With sports betting it casts other forms of doubt about referee intentions and such. Officiating will always be a factor and some games are far worse than others... There's some things that have left me scratching my head this year in basketball for sure.

2/15/2024 10:32 am  #9

The ladies are in sole possession of third. Keep pushing!

12-1 Richmond
12-1 Saint Joseph’s
11-3 Duquesne
10-3 George Mason
10-3 VCU
8-5 Davidson
8-6 Rhode Island
6-7 Saint Louis
6-8 Loyola Chicago
4-9 La Salle
4-9 Fordham
4-10 Dayton